Ukraine and Endless War for Profit

Michael Stuart Kelly

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

There will be Internet in Ukraine.

That's about all I get from that so far.

And even then, with a price of at least $100 a pop, only those with money will be able to pay.

Michael

I saw this explanation elsewhere:

"This mean: the Russians won't be able to knock out internet service in Ukraine without big-deal cyber attacks on foreign data centers."

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Without these elitist predators, I honestly believe Russia and Ukraine would come to an negotiated understanding before long.

Until now I thought there was "no way out" for Putin except to crush Ukraine and murder the top echelon there, but now I can see a way "to save face." What a monster. Sanctions stay on until the oligarchs murder / put him down, with him being Putin. Maybe keep sanctions on indefinitely until Russian becomes a decent democracy.   

Milla and Mila are Ukrainian.  

Milla Jovovich, who was born in Ukraine, says she is 'heartbroken and dumbstruck' over Russia's invasion Kaitlin Reilly Sat, February 26, 2022, 12:14 PM Milla Jovovich shared an emotional message about Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The Resident Evil actress, who was born in Ukraine, took to Instagram on Feb. 26 to share that she was “heartbroken and dumbstruck” as she attempted to understand what was happening in her birthplace.

“My country and people being bombed. Friends and family in hiding,” she continued. “My blood and my roots come from both Russia and Ukraine. I am torn in two as I watch the horror unfolding, the country being destroyed, families being displaced, their whole life lying in charred fragments around them.”

She shared that the conflicted reminded her of the stories her father would tell about his home country of Yugoslavia and the “trauma and terror” he experienced. “War. Always war,” she wrote. “Leaders who cannot bring peace. The never ending juggernaut of imperialism. And always, the people pay in bloodshed and tears.”

Jovovich shared resources for those seeking to aid the Ukrainian people in her bio. The Fifth Element star is just one of many celebrities to speak out about Russia’s invasion. Ashton Kutcher, whose wife Mila Kunis is from Ukraine, tweeted that he stood with the country alongside a Ukrainian flag. Hayden Panettiere, who shares a child with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko, the brother of Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko, wrote on Instagram, “I ask for those of us who can’t be there to stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and show your support for #democracy.

I'm all a-tingle wondering what Ashton and Hayden's evaluations of pieces like this are ( they're famous , they'll know)

tablet-share-card.jpg?w=1200
WWW.TABLETMAG.COM

Lee Smith is the author of The Permanent Coup: How Enemies Foreign and Domestic Targeted the American President (2020).

Holy shit.

This is from Twitter, but it does not embed.

Fact-checkers warn of old footage being falsely associated with Ukraine invasion

image.png

Multiple videos and images circulating on social media were taken in previous years and are not linked with the Russian invasion of Ukraine, various fact-checkers and journalists report. Fact-checking organisations shared tips and toolkits to help with the verification of content online.
Photo via @business

I didn't realize how much of this stuff is going around.

Go to that link and see for yourself.

Meanwhile, here is a small sampling. Rather than embed tweets (although I will embed some), I will mostly link to the articles in the tweets. You can see all the tweets by going to the link above. Most of the articles come from AP Fact Check and Reuters Fact Check, but there is a slew of other examples from other people and sources.

Go to that thread. The list is unbelievable. Literally. :) The items listed are items of fake news.

700.png
APNEWS.COM

CLAIM: A video shows a fiery explosion in Ukraine following Russia’s invasion of the country. AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The video was taken in Tianjin, China, by an American man who captured the...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A photograph circulating online of an injured girl is from 2018 and was taken during the Syrian war, not Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as users claim.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A stock image described as showing a female Ukrainian soldier has been shared on social media, with users falsely claiming it is Olena Zelenska, the first lady of Ukraine.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Photos and a video captured during the 2014 Maidan protests in Ukraine have been shared on social media in February 2022 to falsely claim they depict the invasion by Russia.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A photo of two children watching Ukrainian soldiers roll past atop two tanks have been falsely linked to the 2022 invasion by Russia. However, Reuters has traced the photo back to 2016.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Drone footage of armoured vehicles involved in a conflict is being shared online with claims it shows Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, launched on Feb. 24. The video, however, does not relate to the...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A clip of artillery fire from what looks like a military camp in low light is unrelated to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and dates to at least 2019, despite the clip being shared widely by social media users...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A video of an explosion dates to at least March 2017 and is unconnected to the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. Users shared the clip amid the invasion without detailing that it is...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Old photographs of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy wearing military garb have been shared on social media, with users wrongly claiming that it shows the president fighting after Russia...

_123420282_syria976.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Misleading videos and images continue to appear on social media following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A years-old clip showing heavy firing in a field is making rounds on social media; some users have mistakenly claimed the scene depicts Russian military activity in Ukraine amid the February...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

CGI footage of aircraft flying amid nighttime artillery fire is not related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, despite claims made by users sharing the clip online. The video was uploaded to YouTube...

700.png
APNEWS.COM

CLAIM: Photo shows explosions from Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine. AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The image was captured in May 2021 and shows Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip.

b2533f038aebf9d9421ca8f5abf54392.jpeg?it
FACTCHECK.AFP.COM

After Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, dramatic footage of a huge explosion was viewed tens of thousands of times in social media posts that claimed it shows...

I'll stop here, but that doesn't mean the list is over. It is far, far, far from over.

There's a quirk in the human brain that makes us give great mental weight to first impressions. It works like this in the present context.

We see a headline with an image. We believe it. Later we are shown it is bullshit. We still believe the lie for a good part.

It takes awhile for belief in the debunk of the lie to saturate all of our brains. And in some people, that never happens. For those who do, you will have a stretch of cognitive bias until all of your brain believes the debunk.

But the people promoting lies during the Ukraine mess are taking this technique to beyond the limit. 

In the mainstream media and on social media, you already can't believe what you read, and now you can no longer believe what you see. If you want to be objective, you have to fight that urge to believe what you see. You have to tell yourself it might be false, so wait for verification.

And the lizard part of the brain? It doesn't want to hear it. It wants to believe what you see. Period.

You can override the lizard part of your brain for a bit, but your conscious willpower gets tired before too long. When that happens, you will default back to believing what you see at first glance.

But you have to fight this urge within yourself if you want to be objective. You are responsible for your own brain.

Imagine once the propagandists start using Deep Fakes for real.

Michael

• Upvote 1

Some of the videos I've seen are obviously mislabeled , one shows a group of at least a dozen 'fighter jets' engaging the enemy in a giant wing tip to wing tip tight 'triangle' formation, I know nothing of air tactics but , cmon man.

12 hours ago, Peter said:

Sanctions stay on until the oligarchs murder / put him down, with him being Putin. Maybe keep sanctions on indefinitely until Russian becomes a decent democracy. 

Peter,

I don't believe in sanctions as a cure for war.

The only reason Putin did not invade Ukraine before is that he was afraid of Trump and Trump knew how to talk tough to him without goading him to act.

Putin thinks Biden is a pussy and has no idea about what to do with America's military might.

What's worse is that Putin is right. Biden is a pussy. A corrupt one who got power by fraud, embezzled, and sold out the USA to boot.

Bully meets pussy and here we are.

Michael

40 minutes ago, tmj said:

I wanted the above post to point to this article in particular,

T,

I read it. An excellent article.

Lee Smith shows clearly that there is no good side to all this. Putin dictator bad. USA Deep State bad. Ukraine corruption bad.

What's worse, Ukraine stupid for getting in bed with the wrong people (meaning others with empty promises like Obama and NOT the Ukrainian people).

btw - Lee Smith rocks. He's the dude who helped expose the extent Critical Race Theory had become embedded in education and institutions.

Michael

44 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Holy shit.

This is from Twitter, but it does not embed.

Fact-checkers warn of old footage being falsely associated with Ukraine invasion

I didn't realize how much of this stuff is going around.

Go to that link and see for yourself.

Meanwhile, here is a small sampling. Rather than embed tweets (although I will embed some), I will mostly link to the articles in the tweets. You can see all the tweets by going to the link above. Most of the articles come from AP Fact Check and Reuters Fact Check, but there is a slew of other examples from other people and sources.

Go to that thread. The list is unbelievable. Literally. :) The items listed are items of fake news.

700.png
APNEWS.COM

CLAIM: A video shows a fiery explosion in Ukraine following Russia’s invasion of the country. AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The video was...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A photograph circulating online of an injured girl is from 2018 and was taken during the Syrian war, not Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as users...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A stock image described as showing a female Ukrainian soldier has been shared on social media, with users falsely claiming it is Olena...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Photos and a video captured during the 2014 Maidan protests in Ukraine have been shared on social media in February 2022 to falsely...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A photo of two children watching Ukrainian soldiers roll past atop two tanks have been falsely linked to the 2022 invasion by Russia...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Drone footage of armoured vehicles involved in a conflict is being shared online with claims it shows Russia’s invasion of Ukraine...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A clip of artillery fire from what looks like a military camp in low light is unrelated to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and dates to at least...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A video of an explosion dates to at least March 2017 and is unconnected to the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Old photographs of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy wearing military garb have been shared on social media, with users wrongly...

_123420282_syria976.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Misleading videos and images continue to appear on social media following Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

A years-old clip showing heavy firing in a field is making rounds on social media; some users have mistakenly claimed the scene depicts...

rcom-default.png?w=800
WWW.REUTERS.COM

CGI footage of aircraft flying amid nighttime artillery fire is not related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, despite claims made by users sharing...

700.png
APNEWS.COM

CLAIM: Photo shows explosions from Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine. AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The image was captured in May 2021 and...

b2533f038aebf9d9421ca8f5abf54392.jpeg?it
FACTCHECK.AFP.COM

After Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, dramatic footage of a huge explosion was viewed tens of...

I'll stop here, but that doesn't mean the list is over. It is far, far, far from over.

There's a quirk in the human brain that makes us give great mental weight to first impressions. It works like this in the present context.

We see a headline with an image. We believe it. Later we are shown it is bullshit. We still believe the lie for a good part.

It takes awhile for belief in the debunk of the lie to saturate all of our brains. And in some people, that never happens. For those who do, you will have a stretch of cognitive bias until all of your brain believes the debunk.

But the people promoting lies during the Ukraine mess are taking this technique to beyond the limit. 

In the mainstream media and on social media, you already can't believe what you read, and now you can no longer believe what you see. If you want to be objective, you have to fight that urge to believe what you see. You have to tell yourself it might be false, so wait for verification.

And the lizard part of the brain? It doesn't want to hear it. It wants to believe what you see. Period.

You can override the lizard part of your brain for a bit, but your conscious willpower gets tired before too long. When that happens, you will default back to believing what you see at first glance.

But you have to fight this urge within yourself if you want to be objective. You are responsible for your own brain.

Imagine once the propagandists start using Deep Fakes for real.

Michael

This is what I brought up this past Thursday at the comment link below, that people were contesting photos and videos were faked or doctored...

"Believe half of what you see, nothing of what you hear, etc..." "Fog of war" and all that, as MSK reminds us...

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Then I am going to go through some of Lee Stranahan's stuff. He is the most knowledgeable no-bullshit source I know of for this kind of issue, even though his manner or presentation is full of tangents, false starts, and fights he picks with people on his own side when they ignore something he focuses on. So It's going to be irritating. But I believe after a while, I will have a really good handle on this.

Here is an excellent video by Lee Stranahan showing why I put such stock in him.

And, yes, this video is irritating in the manner I mentioned. I wish he would use the same principles of epistemology in reporting for the way he talks, but that's simply not to be. It's like the guy who's been divorced 7 times giving out marital advice--but his advice is good. :) 

Lee is hardcore in his support of Russia. That might be a non-started for some, but I see it like this. That is his conclusion, not method of researching facts. So I can disagree with his conclusions while agreeing with his facts and still feel great about my own brain.

:) 

Enjoy if you can. Lee is well worth investing your time in.

Michael

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

This is what I brought up this past Thursday at the comment link below, that people were contesting photos and videos were faked or doctored...

TG,

I saw that at the time.

Here's some unsolicited advice to get people to pay attention to your point.

Tell and show. Then analyze.

You can mix up the order, but don't leave any of these out. And don't shortchange them, either.

(You don't have to do this in every post, just the posts where you want your point to be persuasive on its own.)

I'm not disparaging right now. I'm offering a morsel of my super-duper genius for your consideration. :) 

You post did not have much impact re the point for two basic reasons.

1. The faked photos part, or maybe your doubts about the article you linked to, was clearly stated, but the rest of the post did not stay centered on that in easy terms for a skim. Most people skim on the Internet, so the point has to be skim-proof-clear for readers in addition to being presented.

2. Visual-wise, instead of focusing on faked images, using words you provided a very clear mental image about clean underwear (and the contrary) and elaborated on it. :) 

That image makes it hard for the reader to stay focused on fake war pictures.

Michael

58 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The only reason Putin did not invade Ukraine before is that he was afraid of Trump and Trump knew how to talk tough to him without goading him to act.

Putin just put his nuclear forces on high alert. As far as psychologizing Putin as being afraid of President Trump, I just don't know. It is possible Putin would be doing the same thing if Trump had been President this last year. It's interesting to look at the map of NATO countries, and how they are closer and closer to Russia as years pass. And I even wonder about the Moscow "unrest" about the invasion. You never know but it could be a partial "Putin Ploy" to look free and democratic.  

4 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

TG,

I saw that at the time.

Here's some unsolicited advice to get people to pay attention to your point.

Tell and show. Then analyze.

You can mix up the order, but don't leave any of these out. And don't shortchange them, either.

(You don't have to do this in every post, just the posts where you want your point to be persuasive on its own.)

I'm not disparaging right now. I'm offering a morsel of my super-duper genius for your consideration. :) 

You post did not have much impact re the point for two basic reasons.

1. The faked photos part, or maybe your doubts about the article you linked to, was clearly stated, but the rest of the post did not stay centered on that in easy terms for a skim. Most people skim on the Internet, so the point has to be skim-proof-clear for readers in addition to being presented.

2. Visual-wise, instead of focusing on faked images, using words you provided a very clear mental image about clean underwear (and the contrary) and elaborated on it. :) 

That image makes it hard for the reader to stay focused on fake war pictures.

Michael

Thanks, Michael. It wasn't an attention grab, though I can understand that impression. More like a post to indicate a "mile-marker" on a time-line, to see if the concept/claim has legs. (I was thinking of doing something similar with the supposed outing of the people behind "Q" as well, soon.)

Is it possible the Russians will be turned back? Will they occupy but be hounded by Ukrainian resistance? Is Putin recognizing the peril and trouble he is putting himself and Russia into? As many have mentioned, this senseless war is making NATO stronger and even neutral countries like Finland are alarmed and on alert. 

As far as the Russian nuclear alert goes, I remember an article about how much of Russian nuclear silos are old and corroded and may not work as designed. However Russian nuclear subs are newer, cocked and ready. I even seem to remember an example of the floundering Russian nuclear silos was from Ukraine after the breakup of the Soviet Union. 

I'm sure the US is at a heightened 'nuclear readiness posture' , because of 'hot' military action of a nuclear power , nuclear exercises ect. The idea that a report is 'out' concerning Russia's current posture and ( as far as I can tell by comments) no such info re the US current 'defcon' level status should be an indication that someone wants to highlight an aggressive stance re Russia. How the hell is it any nuclear power isn't on 'nuclear' alert 24/7/365?

I had a family member , a second cousin but older than myself and siblings so he was referred to as more like an 'uncle'. Growing up we knew Uncle Stan had 'problems' , not as physically recognizable as our uncle with Downs , but enough 'off' to knew he was functionally 'incapable', his elder parents cared for him and basically 'well , that's how Uncle Stan is". It wasn't until after his death and as an adult I learned the 'real story'. Uncle Stan was a gifted engineering student and after joining the military he was assigned to 'a silo crew' somewhere out west. Apparently all was well for a few years , until he was discharged and sent home , his parents did not know what happened , but something turned their near genius son into an ever smiling near catatonic. Did he witness an accident ? Was he on duty and got an activation call and then was confronted with the knowledge of what his actions might release ? Nobody in the family knows, or if they did they never said. But something happened and I doubt that the day he 'changed' the defcon level was reported in the papers, I think his service would have been in the mid and late sixties. There is always a 'level' and 'they' only tell us about it when it suits whatever purpose it suits.

50 minutes ago, Peter said:

Putin just put his nuclear forces on high alert. As far as psychologizing Putin as being afraid of President Trump, I just don't know. It is possible Putin would be doing the same thing if Trump had been President this last year.

Peter,

I use the standard of look at what people do rather than what others say.

During four years of Trump, there was nothing even close to what is going on now Putin-wise. But during the Obama years, he invaded the Crimea.

If I had to make prediction in a hypothetical, not based on my views about Trump, but based on deeds alone, I would say that there is no way in hell Putin would be doing what he is doing if the US were under Trump right now.

Have you noticed that the people who are currently running things have a serious problem of aligning their words with their deeds?

And they fuck up things like taking the military out first and leave all the military equipment behind during a withdrawal? Do ya' think Putin saw that and thought about Biden's total inability to wage war?

Michael

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, tmj said:

I'm sure the US is at a heightened 'nuclear readiness posture' , because of 'hot' military action of a nuclear power , nuclear exercises ect. The idea that a report is 'out' concerning Russia's current posture and ( as far as I can tell by comments) no such info re the US current 'defcon' level status should be an indication that someone wants to highlight an aggressive stance re Russia. How the hell is it any nuclear power isn't on 'nuclear' alert 24/7/365?

We might be ready for nukes, but are we ready to counter. (checks list)..falling satellites?
(Remember Skylab? "The Skylab is falling?" It's kinda like that...I swear, this it starting to sound like something out of AUSTIN POWERS...)

SPACED OUT

Russian space chief threatens to allow ISS to FALL onto US or Europe

"RUSSIA has warned President Biden that it needs their tech and expertise to prevent the International Space Station from crashing down onto the US or Europe."

ac-comp-putin-biden-iss.jpg?strip=all&qu
WWW.THE-SUN.COM

RUSSIA has warned President Biden that it needs their tech and expertise to prevent the International Space Station from crashing...

5 hours ago, anthony said:

Explanation - geo-strategic plains. Oil, gas. Even water.

Tony,

What a stellar video.

It explains a hell of a lot of context in a follow-the-money way. I learned a lot and I may even watch it again.

Apropos, I just learned today that the US buys about $20 million in oil from Russia each day.

Each. Day.

And countless tens of millions in energy.

Granted, all that is just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the world. But even that drop in the bucket--all this while the invasion is going on--is powerful.

In short, it looks like the USA is funding Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The USA is paying for it--at the very least, making sure Putin has the money to pay for it.

How's that as a frame for all the macho talk about how evil Putin is and all the fake news flying around?

We're buying oil from the guy.

Has there ever been a more idiotic person occupying the office of the president than Biden?

And has there ever been a more despicable press in human history?

Michael

To quote the Church Lady from SNL: "Well, isn't that special?"

Switzerland breaks neutral status to sanction Russia over Ukraine invasion

• Switzerland's Federal Council said on Monday that it was adopting the EU's sanctions against Russia.

• The package includes freezing Putin's personal assets, effective immediately.

• Switzerland said it would close its airspace to Russian aircraft and bar people close to Putin from entering.

"Switzerland broke its historically neutral status to sanction Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

"In a statement on Monday, Switzerland's Federal Council said it would adopt sanctions against Russia effective immediately. The measures, it said, would match those of the European Union, of which Switzerland is not a member."

full article here: 

a3ba2b879602df92ae58591260c895b7
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Switzerland announced on Monday that it was adopting the EU's sanctions against Russia, which include freezing Vladimir Putin's assets.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

To quote the Church Lady from SNL: "Well, isn't that special?"

Switzerland breaks neutral status to sanction Russia over Ukraine invasion

• Switzerland's Federal Council said on Monday that it was adopting the EU's sanctions against Russia.

• The package includes freezing Putin's personal assets, effective immediately.

• Switzerland said it would close its airspace to Russian aircraft and bar people close to Putin from entering.

"Switzerland broke its historically neutral status to sanction Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.

"In a statement on Monday, Switzerland's Federal Council said it would adopt sanctions against Russia effective immediately. The measures, it said, would match those of the European Union, of which Switzerland is not a member."

full article here: 

a3ba2b879602df92ae58591260c895b7
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Switzerland announced on Monday that it was adopting the EU's sanctions against Russia, which include freezing Vladimir Putin's assets.

Wow!!!!!!!

The church lad on SNL, love it.

What the freak goes on in Ukraine that has Switzerlands panties in a bunch.

Speaking of German money...

As over 100,000 rally for Ukraine, Germany announces vast defense spending increase that may upend European security policy

NFJ6YCEX24I6ZGMHTXHO4YVD6Y.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Germany, Europe’s biggest economy and the most populous nation in the European Union, had long frustrated the United...