Coronavirus

Peter

Not much has changed among the medical community. I just copied the text below from the Mayo site. Peter

From The Mayo clinic: . . . A COVID-19 vaccine might: Protect you from getting COVID-19. Prevent you from becoming seriously ill, becoming hospitalized or dying due to COVID-19. Limit the spread of COVID-19 . . . Because COVID-19 vaccines clinical trials only started in the summer of 2020, it's not yet clear if these vaccines will have long-term side effects. However, vaccines rarely cause long-term side effects.

If you're concerned, in the U.S., safety data on COVID-19 vaccines will be reported to a national program called the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. This data is available to the public. The CDC has also created v-safe, a smartphone-based tool that allows users to report COVID-19 vaccine side effects. If you have additional questions or concerns about your symptoms, talk to your doctor.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Not much has changed among the medical community. I just copied the text below from the Mayo site. Peter

From The Mayo clinic: . . . A COVID-19 vaccine might: Protect you from getting COVID-19. Prevent you from becoming seriously ill, becoming hospitalized or dying due to COVID-19. Limit the spread of COVID-19 . . . Because COVID-19 vaccines clinical trials only started in the summer of 2020, it's not yet clear if these vaccines will have long-term side effects. However, vaccines rarely cause long-term side effects.

Killers.

Ellen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So? Doctors are villains? As data becomes available over time, I will consult with my doctor before I kowtow to internet news. Doctors swear to this: “ . . . avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.” Peter

Hippocratic Oath: I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant: I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow. I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism. I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug. I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery. I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God. I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick. I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm. If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

When they themselves admit that they lie and manipulate data to push an agenda (like Dr. Birx did, for just one example) ? Yes. Yes, they are villains.

The local ostrich was not available for comment.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Hippocratic Oath: I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant: […]

I grieve because of the large number of doctors who have betrayed the Hippocratic Oath in regard to Covid-19.

The situation is even more painful to me than the large-scale betrayal of scientific honor by scientists over climatology.

I come from a several-generation medical family, and I've known doctors as family friends all my life.  I wouldn’t have imagined that so many medical professionals - and globally - could so dishonor their sacred Oath.

Ellen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ellen,

It's not Randian to say this, but the shadow drivers of human nature in society are money, sex and power. When I read Rand, it's a death premise or whim or lack of self-esteem or whatever moving the dark side of the human soul. But when I look out on the world, there is always money, sex and/or power at root when humans do despicable things on a large scale.

I know there's a whole lot more to human nature and there are nuances, but those three look to me like constants throughout all of human history, even when humans didn't have money. :) 

That's a quip, but I believe there's a root there, too.

Scientists and doctors are human.

If the society they live in doesn't have a culture of honoring oaths, it should be no surprise when they lose the habit and trade their own integrity for money, sex, and/or power.

But, on second thought, when I dig deeper in those three, I also see they have a commonality: status. Each of those three temptations to excess promotes or results from enhanced status.

I wonder if it is accurate to say: "the love of status is the root of all evil."

Michael

Now, they're saying that Biden has cance-I mean, Covid...could this be the trigger point to displace him with Kamala?

(Just idle speculation, of course... nothing to see here...)

513deffc-99d3-495f-abb6-fb3b7668a570-120
PJMEDIA.COM

A day after scrambling to backtrack on Joe Biden’s erroneous claim that he has cancer, the White House has...

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Scientists and doctors are human.

If the society they live in doesn't have a culture of honoring oaths, it should be no surprise when they lose the habit and trade their own integrity for money, sex, and/or power.

But, on second thought, when I dig deeper in those three, I also see they have a commonality: status. Each of those three temptations to excess promotes or results from enhanced status.

I wonder if it is accurate to say: "the love of status is the root of all evil."

Michael

In the culture of my growing-up years, professional honor was an absolute requirement for achieving status in both scientific and medical endeavors.  One whiff of professional fraud was an instant death knell for a person's career.  A scientist or doctor caught falsifying data was OUT, with no hope of getting back in.

The culture began to change during the '60s, with the insidious creep of radicalization.

Today, in certain areas of science and of medicine, the value system has turned upside down:  It's those professionals who are best at fraud who attain the highest status.  The honorable professionals are called "deniers," "kooks," "conspiracy theorists," etc.

Ellen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

In the culture of my growing-up years, professional honor was an absolute requirement for achieving status in both scientific and medical endeavors.  One whiff of professional fraud was an instant death knell for a person's career.  A scientist or doctor caught falsifying data was OUT, with no hope of getting back in.

The culture began to change during the '60s, with the insidious creep of radicalization.

Today, in certain areas of science and of medicine, the value system has turned upside down:  It's those professionals who are best at fraud who attain the highest status.  The honorable professionals are called "deniers," "kooks," "conspiracy theorists," etc.

Ellen

Nietzsche's"transvaluation of values"... 

4 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Ellen,

I feel your pain. When I grew up, life was like that, too.

And I keep wondering how an entire class of moral professionals can become corrupted and persuaded to do evil. I bet the Germans are still asking that after Hitler--with no need to single out any specific class of professionals...

Hell, I bet many Romans felt that way in ancient times as they watched their empire crumble.

I have a some thoughts on this. They are not definitive in completeness, but I am certain they are on the table as causes. I have already mentioned money, sex and power (and unearned or undeserved status), but those only tap into base-level individual human drives. So they are individual temptations, not corrupting elements on their own unless they are sought unearned and/or undeserved. So there are other issues that run in parallel.

1. Presidents. Like it or not, humans are primates and that means they mostly learn by imitation. They also learn by other measures, of course. But imitation is the top way in the primate kingdom, especially for things like moral behavior, habits, and so on.

Another reality of the primate mind is fascination with "celebrities." They look to their alpha males and other celebrities to feel admiration and model themselves. There are a lot of studies on this.

So the behavior of the USA Presidents wields a lot more influence than it seems on the surface. This became clear to me during a time in Brazil.

Brazilians have contempt for their politicians as their default mode for the general population. When I went there, the US did not share this kind of contempt for the US President. Not on a general level.

I remember reading a passage in a newspaper about José Sarney, who was president at the time. He was also a poet and his most famous work was "Marimbondos de Fogo" (Wasps of Fire). In the newspaper, someone had written to a Dear Abby-like column. I'm paraphrasing since I am going from memory:

Q: I suffer from premature ejaculation. What can I do about it?

A: Get a book called Wasps of Fire by the poet, José Sarney, and read a poem before you engage in any sexual activity. One poem should be enough to solve your problem. It if it still persists, try two poems. Be very careful, though. If you overdose on the poems, never again...

:) 

I remember thinking at the time, man, what disrespect of the president. That would never happen in the US. 

Little did I know...

At that time, it was inconceivable to me that Dwight Eisenhower, Harry Truman, John Kennedy would lay out a big hairy one in public. That doesn't mean they didn't lie. It means they were not perceived as liars who were capable of bald-faced lies in public. Then Nixon came along with a bald-face lie, but at least he resigned over it.

I can't imagine Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan lying blatantly, especially in a manner easy to bust. But then came George Bush with "Read my lips, no new taxes." At least he paid a high price for that. 

And then came Bill Clinton with his "I did not have sex with that woman," and "It depends on what the meaning of is is." And he did not lose his office or suffer in any meaningful way. After that, it was easy for George Bush to invade Iraq based on "weapons of mass destruction," for Obama to say "If you want your doctor you can have your doctor" and even say he  lied to get the law to pass. And now Biden with a stolen election where they don't even try to hide the lying from top to bottom.

With examples like that to imitate from the highest celebrity monkey on the block--the most powerful man in the world--I can easily imagine scientists and doctors and all kinds of people of integrity thinking, "Why bother?" when they were faced with a problem that a little fudging of their integrity could fix.

2. Another toxic influence on integrity comes from persuasion. There is a guy I like a lot in the persuasion field. His name is Blair Warren. If you get the time, check out his book, "The Seven Forbidden Keys to Persuasion." 

You won't find it on Amazon, though. However, you can buy the PDF from him here:

But since he took that book off the market for a couple of years and nobody could get it anywhere, many bootleg PDFs arose. For instance, you can get one free here:

98756704910e850883b5fce7d89e1c79.jpg
WWW.PDFDRIVE.COM

Reproduction and distribution in any way, shape, or form is forbidden. No part What students have said about The Forbidden Keys to Persuasion.

Also, you can find a very good summary here:

The thing about this book is that it looks exactly like the tools used over the last 2 decades to undermine the American Sense of Life (for want of a better term) in all areas and turn people in general into corrupt individuals.

Here's a good example of this corruption: Nowadays, it is common to excuse immoral behavior by companies by saying their main purpose is to profit and blame it all on shareholders.  In other words, it's OK to be immoral if you have shareholders and profits as part of your business model. (See if that one would ever pass Rand's sanction. :) )

I can't prove it, but the similarities are so striking (and, of course, this is obviously not the only source of persuasion techniques they used), I suspect the persuasion tactics from a lot of the elitists behind the scenes came from this book, especially after such tactics were validated by behavioral science.

For instance, Blair talked a lot about gaslighting. There are several buzzwords like that in the book, except it was first published in 2003. That's 2003, not 2013. 

I won't go into the tactics here since the article at the Encyclopedia does such a good job of summarizing them all.

(btw - The text on that damn site has copying turned off. If you need the text for quoting or something, hell, even reading it is awkward with the protection on, I figured out how to neutralize it. Just disable "java" or "scripts" in your browser for a bit, or use a Chrome extension like "Simple Allow Copy." If that is complicated, just let me know and I will send you a copy.)

I have other thoughts, too, but if you wed these two to money, sex, power and unearned/undeserved status, it's easy to see that the poor all-too-human scientists and doctors didn't stand a chance.

On another note, I suspect this is the main reason for Trump Derangement Syndrome among very intelligent people who have sworn oaths of integrity.

Trump inverted their corrupted souls. Instead of being a discreet member of civilized society with the façade of integrity however corrupt on the inside (like they are), he's a braggart and brawler who actually does have integrity. His integrity is proven by the fact that he's been investigated to the gills and no one managed to nailed him. Why? Because there is nothing corrupt to find.

For a person with a hell of a lot to hide, Trump's very existence and success in getting the presidency was like a slap in the face along with a punch in the nose.

I think that's it. The core of Trump Derangement Syndrome is the shame the haters feel about their own corrupt lives and moral choices. And their family and friends imitate them if they are celebrity or authority monkeys.

But that's also the good news, that is, primates imitate and look to their celebrities for models. With the upcoming MAGA administration full of people of integrity from top to bottom, I believe the culture will change for the better.

I believe the younger scientists and doctors will be influenced by this a lot, in addition to all the busts they will see.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

turn people in general into corrupt individuals

Very significant for the elitist intentions of ending up with the bulk of humanity as "human livestock," a description you've often used.

22 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I can't prove it, but the similarities are so striking (and, of course, this is obviously not the only source of persuasion techniques they used), I suspect the persuasion tactics from a lot of the elitists behind the scenes came from this book, especially after such tactics were validated by behavioral science

For instance, Blair talked a lot about gaslighting. There are several buzzwords like that in the book, except it was first published in 2003. That's 2003, not 2013

The timing is right, since much of the basic blueprint planning for what's going on (including a pandemic scare) was developed by 2005.

I think you're onto something with your comments on TDS.  Trump is so thoroughly a slap in the face to their "sophisticated" oh-so-superior, wink-wink-wink, we’re-in-the-know ways.  He DOESN'T FIT, and his popularity enrages them.

Ellen

12 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Very significant for the elitist intentions of ending up with the bulk of humanity as "human livestock," a description you've often used.

The timing is right, since much of the basic blueprint planning for what's going on (including a pandemic scare) was developed by 2005.

I think you're onto something with your comments on TDS.  Trump is so thoroughly a slap in the face to their "sophisticated" oh-so-superior, wink-wink-wink, we’re-in-the-know ways.  He DOESN'T FIT, and his popularity enrages them.

Ellen

Plus President Trump knows where all the bodies are burried.

13 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I think that's it. The core of Trump Derangement Syndrome is the shame the haters feel about their own corrupt lives and moral choices. And their family and friends imitate them if they are celebrity or authority monkeys.

You nail it, and it echos something Rand said in a revelatory crescendo of John Galt's speech, the utter soul shaking black revelation which struck me the first time I read it and still does every time I read it again: 

"They do not want to own your fortune, they want you to lose it; they do not want to succeed, they want you to fail; they do not want to live, they want you to die"

and reminds me much of Rand's discussion of Envy and "hatred of the good for being the good".

I'd like to market T-shirts to Leftists with the following on it:

"Your integrity is triggering, and deeply offends my sense of hypocrisy."

They keep falling...

Phil-Petty.webp
WWW.THEGATEWAYPUNDIT.COM

Another former football player has passed away in the span of just one week in the sporting world. On Thursday, former South Carolina quarterback Phil Petty passed away at the age of 43. The tragic news...

:sad:

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

They keep falling...

Phil-Petty.webp
WWW.THEGATEWAYPUNDIT.COM

Another former football player has passed away in the span of just one week...

:sad:

Michael

4 doctors died this week in Toronto after getting the 4th shot.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in Mississauga hospitals and one very well known doc at North York General.

• Like 1