Nathaniel Branden's Self-Esteem Every Day

Kat

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 21 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Stressing the practice of living purposefully as essential to a fully realized self esteem is not equivalent to measuring an individual’s worth by his or her external achievements. We admire achievements – in ourselves and others – and it is natural and appropriate for us to do so. But that is not the same thing as saying that our achievements are the measure or grounds of our self esteem. The root of our self esteem is not our achievements but those internally generated practices that, among other things, make it possible for us to achieve.

July 22 – Self-Esteem Every Day

A wealthy businessman in his nineties once said to me, “Let me tell you the great thing about making a fortune, and losing it, and making it again. It’s good to get knocked on your back – you learn things you need to know. When I was a young man I thought I was my businesses, bank accounts, and limousines. Then the 1929 depression came and I lost everything and had to begin again. Then I found out that I was not any of my possessions but rather the force inside that allowed me to acquire them. And that is something that no external circumstance can take away.”

July 24 – Self-Esteem Every Day

A productive purpose to which you get yourself fully and joyfully is one of the great adventures of life. It is a uniquely human source of happiness.

July 27 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Anyone who tells you that your basic purpose on earth is to sacrifice and serve others is not a friend of yours – nor a friend of humanity. Who is a friend of yours and of humanity? Anyone who tells you that your life belongs to you and the morality consists of honoring your positive potentialities. The purpose of morality is self-fulfillment, not self-annihilation.

August 6 – Self-Esteem Every Day

At the simplest level integrity entails some basic questions: Are you honest, reliable and trustworthy? Do you keep your promises? Do you honor your commitments? Do you do the things you say you admire and avoid the things you say you deplore? Are you fair and just in your dealings with others?

• 2 weeks later...

August 10 – Self-Esteem Every Day

One of the great self-deceptions—and one of the great foolishnesses—is to tell yourself, "Only I will know." Only you will know that you are a liar; only you will know you deal unethically with people who trust you; only you will know that you have no intention of honoring your promise. Whose knowledge or judgment do you imagine is more important? It is precisely your own ego from which there is no escape.

August 11 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Most people do not erode their self-esteem over big issues, but over small ones, little acts of betrayal and hypocrisy forgotten (repressed) very quickly. But the computer in your subconscoious mind forgets nothing. It records your spiritual profit and loss. The balance sheet reflects your present level of self-esteem—and sends you the information via your emotions.