Nathaniel Branden's Self-Esteem Every Day

Kat

October 3 – Self-Esteem Every Day

In feeling visible to your lover, you discover new aspects of who you are. Love stimulates self-discovery. That is one source of its excitement.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October 4 – Self-Esteem Every Day

The desire for psychological visibility is not the same as the desire to be validated by someone. The desire to be seen and understood is not the same as the desire to be approved of. The desire to have your goodness recognized and perceived is different from waiting to find out from someone else whether you are good.

October 6 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Pleasure allows us to experience life as a value and yourself as a value. There is no knowledge more precious than that of the value of life and of self. And sexual joy at its most intense provides this knowledge—not abstractly, but with the vividness and intensity of direct sensory perception.

October 9 – Self-Esteem Every Day

If sex involves an act of self-celebration; if in sex you desire the freedom to be spontaneous, to be emotionally open and uninhibited, to assert your right to pleasure, and to flaunt your pleasure in your own being—then the person you most desire is the person whom you feel freest to be who you are, the person who you (consciously or subconsciously) regard as an appropriate psychological mirror, the person who reflects your deepest review of yourself and of life.

• 2 weeks later...

October 10 – Self-Esteem Every Day

A healthy masculinity or femininity is the consequence or expression of an affirmative response to your own sexual nature. This entail a strong, enthusiastic awareness of your own sexuality; a positive (fearless and guiltless) response to the phenomenon of sex; a disposition to experience sex as expression of the self rather than as something alien or darkly incomprehensible; a positive and self-valuing response to your own body; an enthusiastic appreciation of the body of the opposite sex; a capacity for freedom, spontaneity, and delight in the sexual encounter.

October 14 – Self-Esteem Every Day

An immature woman looks at her lover and, deep in her psyche, there is the thought, "My father made me feel rejected; you will take his place and give me what he failed to give me. I will create a home for you, cook your meals, and bear your children—I will be your good little girl."

An immature man looks at his bride and thinks, "Now, I am a married man; I am grown up; I have responsibilities—just like Father. I will work hard, I will be your protector, I will take care of you—just like Father did with Mother. Then he and you and everyone will see that I am a good boy.

October 15 – Self-Esteem Every Day

On one level it is true enough to say a characteristic of immature love is that the man and woman do not perceive each other realistically; fantasies and projections take the place of clear vision. Yet on a deeper level, often they do know whom they have chosen. They pretend to be blind—so that the drama of later suffering can play itself out and they can fulfill the disappointment they always knew as their "destiny."

October 17 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Individuals high in self-esteem are usually attracted to others high in self-esteem; those with medium self-esteem usually seek out others with medium self-esteem; and likewise for those with low self-esteem In such cases attraction does not refer to a momentary sexual response but to the enduring attachment we are likely to call "love."

• 2 weeks later...

October 21 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Some people have a view of self and of the universe that obliges them to struggle for happiness—"some time in the future"—perhaps next year or the year after that. But not now. Not at this moment. Not here. Here and now is too terrifyingly close, too terrifyingly immediate. They suffer from happiness anxiety.

October 25 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Autonomous lovers respect their partner's need to follow his or her own destiny, to be alone sometimes, to be preoccupied sometimes, not to be thinking about the relationship sometimes, to be concerned about other vital matters that may not involve the partner in any direct sense, such as work, personal unfolding and evolution, and personal developmental needs. Give this freedom to yourself as well as to the person you love.