Nathaniel Branden's Self-Esteem Every Day

Kat

December 15 – Self-Esteem Every Day

If you give five percent more respect to your deepest needs and wants, what might you do differently? Are you willing to try it and see what you might discover?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 17 – Self-Esteem Every Day

It is cruel and misleading to tell people that all they need to do to have self-esteem is to decide to love themselves. Self-esteem is built by practices, not by emotions.

• 2 weeks later...

December 18 – Self-Esteem Every Day

When they lack self-esteem, people often try to create pseudo self-esteem—a pretense at self-confidence and self-respect that they do not actually feel. The act is chiefly for oneself.

December 24 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Live self-assertively. Bring into the world that which you think, value, and feel. Do not consign yourself to the unexpected and unlived.

December 25 – Self-Esteem Every Day

The real basic power of an individual isn't what he or she knows, it's the ability to think and learn and face new challenges.

December 26 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Healthy self-esteem isn't only about your ability to cope with the challenges of life, but also about your right to enjoy the rewards—your right to be happy and to feel pride in what you have accomplished.

December 27 – Self-Esteem Every Day

People who are intelligently ambitious are always looking at the wider picture. They look for opportunities to contribute. They look for what needs to be done.

December 29 – Self-Esteem Every Day

You are not likely to bring out the best in people or nurture their creativity if every time you hear about their problems you instantly offer a solution. Encourage people to look for their own solutions—and project the knowledge that they are capable of doing so.

December 30 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Set goals that don't feel all that easy, that challenge you, stimulate you, and give you a chance to stretch and push yourself. That is where the power of growth lies.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I received this email from Dr. Branden June 6:

Dear Friend,

I have something to share with you. A brilliant young programmer and friend of ours has created a new iPhone "app" which will automatically send you a quote of mine daily. If you're interested and have an iPhone take a look.

iPhone: Self-Esteem Meditations

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?TheBrandenInstitute/3a05a5a40d/14c5d99b30/459a515353/mt=8

Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.

Warm regards,

Nathaniel

I'm afraid the formatting went to hell, but the link should work.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to make a small program to do this. Both Kat and I did it by hand here on OL.

I almost have enough competence, but I'll get there. I want to put this on the portal page when I overhaul it (but know that the software updates will not blast my work to hell).

I will be doing a small news blog on Objectivist stuff soon, so I might put it there in a widget. I can do that on Wordpress already.

Michael

• 3 years later...

January 2 Self-Esteem Every Day

The "I," the ego, the deepest self, is the faculty of awareness, the ability to think. Across a lifetime, knowledge grows, convictions may change, emotions come and go; but that which knows, judges, and feelsthat is the changeless constant within us.

There is no evidence that self-awareness, or I-ness, exists at a deeper level than any other thought, say, whether to hit on that cute guy from Neurobio, do I have time to read sissy's latest and greatest immitation of TS Eliot, how do I explain my adherence to Libertarianism to fellow students?

In any case, the ability to think does not depend upon any sort of awareness that one is, indeed, thinking. I thought Descartes solved that one some 300+ years ago.

Branden's Six Pillars is interesting; i'll append my comments at a later time. For now, it seems as if he caught the Freudian flu.

Eva

Eva,

Actually, I like better a comment I heard yesterday from Eric Schmidt of Google. He said nobody has really figured out what consciousness is. Not philosophers. Not scientists.

I can't help but note that Google works with the best of both.

I've been debating and reading about this issue for years. I've heard most of the arguments out there from all sides--and from extremely intelligent people.

Schmidt's observation works for me.

As to your quip, Freudian flu?

NB?

Heh.

That's rich.

I knew you had a sense of humor. :smile:

Try Ken Wilber flu and you will step out of comedy. They are good friends.

Michael

Michael,

Yes, I agree that philosophical consciousness is up for debate--as viciously as it can get. See Searle v Dennet for giggles.

The main issue is to what measure a biomedical reality can serve as a point of departure.

** All-- consciousness isn't a philosophical word. It was stolen out of the physiology playbook in the middle of a dark & stormy night.

*** None-- Consciousness is super organic. it's what we philosophical peeple use to describe things that you science peeple cannot.

****Most, in between-- it's difficult, but real. Sort of like Romeo meeting the Scarlett Letter.

***** It's axiomatic--- Axion Esti, perhaps? The hymn to the Theotokon (Virgin Mary) or the poem by Elytis? I'm confused.

I believe that Ken Wilbur was the talking horse from Mr Ed. Grandad told me that he was led away to the glue factory when the series had finally run its course. The fact was that he never had anything interesting to say.

Eva