US 2024 Election

Guyau

16 hours ago, Peter said:

It will be interesting to see the views held by candidates and the Ukrainian invasion as the 2024 election nears.

From “Independent:” . . . Ron DeSantis, his main rival, has this week echoed Mr Trump’s comments on the war as he sought to downplay the threat from Russia. “The fear of Russia going into NATO countries and all that and steamrolling, you know, that has not even come close to happening,” the Republican governor said on Fox.

“He’s very concerned about those borders halfway around the world. He’s not done anything to secure our own border here at home,” Mr DeSantis said of Mr Biden’s visit, referring to the southern border.

Well nice to see your man in Florida repeat PRESIDENT Trump's mantra.

Also your source Independent should respect that it is President Trump not Mr.Trump, just like President Bush President Obama etc when have your heard anyone say Mr.Obama?

Even more so consider "Mr" Trump is still actually President Trump #81millionvotes.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:38 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Cernovich nailed this one.

I love RFK Jr. regarding his anti-jab stuff and his newfound interest in dismantling the Deep State, but where was he all this time except Orange Man Bad?

He needs to own up.

:)

Michael

Looking at this from a different perspective I will tell you exactly where he was. He was with the anti Trump crowd because he thought that Trump could not win.

As the pendulum swings back though he is an opportunist who wants to be squarely on the side of the Angel's and the right side of history.

I call him a leading indicator now.

Trump all 50 States in 2024

Marc quoted: I was 'reliably told' evangelicals have all left Trump and here they are giving him a standing ovation at Faith and Freedom today. end quote

I am worried that by emphasizing that the Conservative judges he got appointed to the Supreme Court and who helped overturn Roe V. Wade, he will lessen his votes in 2024 from women. 

I know he was "courting" the Christian conservative vote by his recent speech, but I hope he adopts a more sane and pro choice stance based on the weeks of gestation. He did mention the usual exceptions like health of the mother, rape, incest, etc. But it is a hot button issue among many women AND men. Peter    

Isn't the conservative make up of SCOTUS and the resultant Dobbs/Roe v Wade decisions a reflection of an aggregate political will of the electorate? If candidates seeking office are thought to have the requisite influence/power to instantiate laws on abortion, shouldn't we consider those officeholders most 'current' or adjacent to a 'new' stance on the issue to be the ones that reflect the majority opinion that holds sway nearest any change in the status quo?

I do not think Trump's framing on the issue, ie the pro life side had no leverage in negotiation power against the extreme position of late term abortion on demand, qualifies as a blanket dismissal of the 'women's vote' on federal elections for pro life candidates. It may give pro choice candidates an advantage in down ticket /state level electioneering, but that can be countered by pro life national tickets by messaging that basically explains it is no longer a 'presidential' issue and now one focused on congressional and state level office holders, no?

Perhaps in a longer arc this issue can be a vehicle to lessening a stark partisanship of the national parties, and a cleaner view of the differences in the separate but equal branches of the government. Congress is supposed to 'make the laws', foisting the view that the executive decides on abortion was until the 'repeal of Roe v Wade' just a trick, the job now is to explain that, yeah ?

1 hour ago, tmj said:

Roe v Wade

T,

The main problem with that decision was not about abortion at all. It was about power and process.

Pro-choice people wanted this written into federal law so badly, and they were so frustrated that they could not convince the majority (thus enact laws about it), they made a defective legal maneuver that damaged the legal system--and they were content to live with a damaged legal system just so long as their will was in force over the will of others.

Hell, once they got 'er done, they then pushed to have the federal government fund abortions based on that damaged legal system. And, of course, that grew into a black market for baby and fetus parts. And worse, sometimes a legal market based on this damaged system.

What's worse then slavery? Easy. Buying and selling human body parts that are obtained without consent.

But it gets even worse. A light form of cannibalism started infiltrating our food and medical supplies without people knowing they were ingesting human corpse derivatives.

Gross.

On the other side, the pro-life people often try to make this same kind of power-play with, say, religion or big business, so this is not a partisan issue at root. It is a checks and balances on power issue.

This SCOTUS decision was a legal abomination when judged against the Constitution.

The pro-life people celebrated the abortion part when the decision was overturned, but the Constitutionalists (both pro-choice and pro-life) celebrated a course correction in our legal structure.

The fundamental issue on a political level (regardless of the rhetoric), especially during election campaigning, has changed. It is now about enacting laws, not about restoring the damage to the Constitution that was remedied with the overturn of Roe v. Wade.

So, as is proper, the citizens are going to have to decide and define--according to due process--what the rights involved are that pertain to government action. Since the right to life of individuals is enshrined in the Constitution, but a pregnant woman is two individuals for a time, not just one, this is thorny.

Michael

• Like 1

TRUMP OF THE YUKON

[on a whim, I took my tired and stilted comment hidden below to ChatGPT for detailing, a better style and a touch of Mordant Wit. Several failures later, what you see below. This one I like , since it underplays the fact that the first Trump in America was born in 1869 in Germany, that he didn't reach its shores until 1885, thus missing slavery's days entirely:

I call ChatGPT Chad. For Chad Jipiti.]

18 hours ago, Peter said:

Odd fact from Business Insider: Donald Trump is the only living US president whose ancestors didn't own slaves, report says

"The first man of the Trump family to set foot in America was Friedrich Trump, President Trump's paternal grandfather."

"Historical records indicate that he lived from 1869 to 1918."

"Interestingly, Friedrich's path to success took an unconventional turn as he made his initial fortune by running a brothel in Yukon during the Klondike gold rush."

"It's worth noting that there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Brothels emerged as efficient capitalist solutions to the overwhelming 99 to 1 sex ratio during the remarkable gold rush, often hailed as the greatest in North American history."

"And here's another intriguing fact: Donald John Trump's father carried the full name of Frederick Christ Trump."

Spoiler

His name was Friedrich Trump. According to a variety of biographical and historical sources, Friedrich Trump lived from 1869 to 1918, making the first American Trump an out for not being a slaveowner himself nor having any other American antecedents. 

The most salacious bits of biography suggest that Friedrich made his initial fortune in running a brothel in Yukon during the Klondike gold rush.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Brothels are efficient capitalist solutions to the 99 to 1 sex ratio during the mighty rush. Some say the Klondike was the greatest gold rush in North American history.

Another small fact:  Donald John Trump's father's full name was Frederick Christ Trump. 

Edited by william.scherk
Infelicities

7 hours ago, william.scherk said:

"And here's another intriguing fact: Donald John Trump's father carried the full name of Frederick Christ Trump."

I heard President Trump is John Wayne's and Ayn Rand's favorite President, way over Lincoln and Dwight Eisenhauer, and Marlyn Monroe has a crush on "Mr. DJT President."   

• Smile 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, Peter said:

I heard President Trump is John Wayne's and Ayn Rand's favorite President, way over Lincoln and Dwight Eisenhauer, and Marlyn Monroe has a crush on "Mr. DJT President."   

It would be a very short list of women who do not have a crush on our beautiful President Trump! 

Barron Trump btw is a time traveller and also 6'7" 

I am still not agreeing with RFK Jr. as a potential Trump running mate in 2024 but he seems like a decent democrat. Peter

Democrat RFK Jr. details how he differs 'profoundly' with Biden ahead of 2024 election by Rachel Looker. WASHINGTON — Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. weighed in Tuesday morning after President Joe Biden announced his reelection campaign, saying he differs "profoundly on fundamental issues" from the president . . . Kennedy, the son of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy and nephew of former President John F. Kennedy, both assassinated in the 1960s, announced his presidential campaign las week running as a Democrat and campaigning on a platform of fighting for the "liberties guaranteed by the Constitution."

Kennedy said during his campaign announcement that "corporate feudalism" in the country commodifies children, harms people with chemicals and prescription drugs and weakens the middle class. He highlighted polarization blaming corporate mergers for "loving the fighting among us."  "My mission over the next 18 months of this campaign and throughout my presidency will be to end the corrupt merger of state and corporate power that is threatening... to impose a new kind of corporate feudalism in our country," he said.

RFK Jr. sure is tone deaf.

He bashed SCOTUS for canceling affirmative action for college admissions and insinuated people who think different than he does want to keep blacks oppressed.

And he said he wanted to ban assault rifles.

I don't think he understands how the falls on the ears of MAGA people.

But wait! There's more!

Here is proof that he doesn't understand.

Do you know how MAGA people read this?

The student loan grift was fine for RFK Jr. As was making the grift worse by using government money to pay for it. Fixing the grift where it got worse was "unfortunate."

Dayaamm!

What's more, most MAGA people (from my knowledge of them) don't see him as a grifter, so they attribute this level of cluelessness to him being like Mr. Magoo. :) 

I have been hopeful of an alliance between him and Trump. I still am. But gawd. 

He seems like that cartoon character who shoots himself in the eye. The character has a rifle, tries to shoot and it doesn't work. So he turns it around and looks down the barrel with one eye to see what is wrong. Boom. :) 

Michael

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll, sponsored by Matt Palumbo's MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN, for Friday shows that 45% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Biden’s job performance. Fifty-two percent (52%) disapprove. The latest figures include 26% who Strongly Approve of the job Biden is doing and 42% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -16. end quote

Well Pooh. Who might run in Biden’s place? Surely not Kamalalala. Maybe one of dem Kennedy’s? 

15 hours ago, Peter said:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll, sponsored by Matt Palumbo's MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN, for Friday shows that 45% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Biden’s job performance. Fifty-two percent (52%) disapprove. The latest figures include 26% who Strongly Approve of the job Biden is doing and 42% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -16. end quote

Well Pooh. Who might run in Biden’s place? Surely not Kamalalala. Maybe one of dem Kennedy’s? 

Newsome?

8 hours ago, Peter said:

Good guess. Do he be one a dem movie stars? He has the looks and the chatter, but I don't think he would get 50 percent of the votes.

He would get the same amount of fake votes that Biden got. 

Biden got, what , 10% of the vote, maybe 15%.

18 minutes ago, Marc said:

Hey Peter, what are your thoughts about Vivek for Trump VP? 

Not a chance.

From Wikipedia: . . . Ramaswamy supports expanding presidential power, pledging to rule by executive fiat to a degree unprecedented among modern U.S. presidents. He supports abolishing the Department of EducationFBI, and IRS. He asserts that the president has the unilateral power to abolish these agencies by executive order, although under the Constitution, Congress has the power of the purse. He has pledged to fire "at least half the federal workforce"[ and dismantle federal civil service protections, turning federal jobs into at-will jobs and reverting to a spoils system. He has called for an eight-year term for all government employees and pledged to revoke the executive order issued by President Kennedy that gave federal employees a right to collectively bargain. He also has proposed repealing the federal law that requires presidents to spend all the money Congress appropriates. end quote

• Upvote 1