Ukraine and Endless War for Profit

Michael Stuart Kelly

She adds that pathogens stored at biological labs are simply bacteria and viruses, and "not blueprints or components of biological weapons".

"The reason they are kept in secure facilities is for bio-safety, so people don't make themselves sick by getting access to them."

A quote from one of the articles . They claim all this propaganda about weapon systems capable of mass destruction is a ploy to trick the Russian population into supporting the war effort. Putin is just like Biden a plagiarist.

Hundreds of V Corps Soldiers depart for Germany in support of NATO allies

FORT KNOX, Ky. — Roughly half of the U.S. Army’s V Corps Soldiers rose several hours before the sun March 7 to load duffel bags, ruck sacks and gear in preparation for a deployment to Europe.

While a rotation of forward deployed Soldiers is already in Poznan, Poland, the Fort Knox contingent, departing under the direction of the V Corps deputy commanding general - support, Maj. Gen. Robert Burke, and operations sergeant major, Sgt. Maj. Mike Lamkins, will set up in Germany.

Under normal circumstances, about a third of the Soldiers from the V Corps staff rotate in and out of Poland. However, in light of recent circumstances in Eastern Europe, the commander of U.S. European Command requested the deployment of the remainder of the Victory Corps to Europe.

"Victory Corps is ready and prepared to support the orders of the President, and demonstrate our commitment to our NATO Allies

Burke said he was unsure when the main element of the corps would return to Fort Knox from Europe, but emphasized that V Corps will maintain a persistent presence in Europe.

“V Corps will remain as long as we are needed by U.S. Army Europe and Africa to build readiness, interoperability, reinforce our allies and deter aggression against NATO,” said Burke. “Our V Corps Forward in Poland, has been the command and control headquarters for our assigned units and will remain as an enduring presence in Europe to continue working with our NATO allies to ensure regional stability and security.”

Read full article here:

max1200.jpg
WWW.ARMY.MIL

FORT KNOX, Ky. — Roughly half of the U.S. Army’s V Corps Soldiers rose several hours before the sun March 7 to load duffel bags, ruck...

13 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

FORT KNOX, Ky. — Roughly half of the U.S. Army’s V Corps Soldiers rose several hours before the sun March 7 to load duffel bags, ruck...

ThatGuy published: FORT KNOX, Ky. — Roughly half of the U.S. Army’s V Corps Soldiers rose several hours before the sun March 7 to load duffel bags, ruck sacks and gear in preparation for a deployment to Europe. While a rotation of forward deployed Soldiers is already in Poznan, Poland, the Fort Knox contingent, departing under the direction of the V Corps deputy commanding general - support, Maj. Gen. Robert Burke, and operations sergeant major, Sgt. Maj. Mike Lamkins, will set up in Germany. Under normal circumstances, about a third of the Soldiers from th . . . .

Russia is now saying they will destroy any vehicles carrying munitions into Ukraine as someone mentioned. It seems U.S. involvement could be a trigger. And all this is one guy's doing. Putin is as bad as the Saudi's with his mass executions . . . for what? To bring back the Soviet Empire? Protection? To get the "worst press" ever?  

For the "smoke 'em if you got 'em" file:

Russia warns U.S. over arms shipments to Ukraine

Diplomat says any such convoys are "legitimate targets.”

MOSCOW — A senior Russian diplomat is warning that Moscow could target Western shipments of military equipment to Ukraine.

Speaking Saturday, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said that Moscow has warned the U.S. it would see the deliveries of Western weapons to Ukraine as targets.

Ryabkov said Russia “warned the U.S. that pumping weapons from a number of countries it orchestrates isn’t just a dangerous move, it’s an action that makes those convoys legitimate targets.”

180316-ryabkov-getty-1160.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Diplomat says any such convoys are "legitimate targets.”

Russia threatens to abandon US astronaut on space station

"Russia recently threatened that its cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) could leave a U.S. astronaut without a ride home.

"On Saturday, the Russian state media outlet RIA Novosti shared a video, reportedly published by the Russian space agency Roscosmos, depicting Russian cosmonauts waving goodbye to a lone American astronaut, Mark Vande Hei, and detaching the Russian section of ISS. The video is comprised partially of historic ISS footage and a CGI animation of the Russian section separating from ISS."

1024px-International_Space_Station_after
AMERICANMILITARYNEWS.COM

Russia recently threatened that its cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) could leave a U.S. astronaut without a ride home...

American astronaut may get stranded in space station over Russia tensions

"An American astronaut aboard the International Space Station is set to return to Earth with two Russian cosmonauts next month — but his trip home has been marred by uncertainty after a Vladimir Putin ally reportedly threatened to leave him behind.

"The scheduled return to Earth for US astronaut Mark Vande Hei was thrown into question after Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russia’s Space Agency, made the threats in a Feb. 26 video that he posted to social media, ABC News reported.

"Vande Hei’s warning came after President Biden announced sanctions on Russia in response to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine."

MEGA825321_001.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&
NYPOST.COM

An American astronaut aboard the International Space Station is set to return to earth with two Russian cosmonauts next month – but his trip...

Would Russia go so far as to abandon an America astronaut? Or kill him, like in some Scifi dramas? I don’t think that could happen even with Vlad the Impale’r but that could be a war starter if it occurred. The astronaut would need to be rescued.    

And go to NATO’S site and you may be surprised. There are of course a lot of countries in NATO but there are also “partner countries, Partners Across The Globe like Australia, Republic of Korea, Japan and Pakistan, Mediterranean Dialogue countries like Egypt and Israel, Istanbul Cooperation Initiative (ICI), United Nations co-op, The European Union co-op, etc.

For example, NATO Partner Countries: Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Finland, Georgia, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Malta, The Republic of Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Would Russia go so far as to abandon an America astronaut? Or kill him, like in some Scifi dramas? I don’t think that could happen even with Vlad the Impale’r but that could be a war starter if it occurred. The astronaut would need to be rescued.    

I guess not; it's not as if the Russian military are the kind of people to do that; just like they would never something like fire on civilians or anything, and-oh, wait...

43 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I guess not; it's not as if the Russian military are the kind of people to do that; just like they would never something like fire on civilians or anything, and-oh, wait...

Of course, I agree with you about their / Putin's morals, but abandoning an astronaut would be so openly gross, it would be like a horror movie. I think they want to project a certain image as they murder people. I suppose he could always say, we made him do it, but that wears thin as a believable lie.   

Allen Drury’s The throne of Saturn  comes to mind here, I wonder what sending a Dragon Crew capsule to retrieve a stranded US astronaut would look like. Biden and Musk would certainly need to smooth things over. Although given any situation that may look like an emergency would mean that Musk would volunteer , while it may be true that there exists some contractual and predetermined course already in place. But the Twitter show will be popcorn worthy.

The use of military force is not as isolated as our collective attention spans make it seem. War is destruction and death and ‘regular people’ are always the most affected, as the world is populated by regular people , in that frame it is always evil, always the immoral choice as it is anti life, the necessity of engaging in the act after initiation notwithstanding.

I do not trust one thing out of Ukraine at the moment , I doubt anyone can say for certain what is going on , there is just too much room for false and manipulated information at the present. But from  what I gather Putin doesn’t seem to be prosecuting the invasion as an example of indifference to civilian population centers. In a lot of reports they will show a crater and the remnants of an obviously large structure and then pan to peripheral buildings to show damage to  a school or marketplace or some such. I’m on the assumption that the invaders are not yet targeting blatantly civilian sites , but aren’t shying away from hitting targets even very adjacent. 

2 minutes ago, tmj said:

Allen Drury’s The throne of Saturn  comes to mind here, I wonder what sending a Dragon Crew capsule to retrieve a stranded US astronaut would look like. Biden and Musk would certainly need to smooth things over. Although given any situation that may look like an emergency would mean that Musk would volunteer , while it may be true that there exists some contractual and predetermined course already in place. But the Twitter show will be popcorn worthy.

The use of military force is not as isolated as our collective attention spans make it seem. War is destruction and death and ‘regular people’ are always the most affected, as the world is populated by regular people , in that frame it is always evil, always the immoral choice as it is anti life, the necessity of engaging in the act after initiation notwithstanding.

I do not trust one thing out of Ukraine at the moment , I doubt anyone can say for certain what is going on , there is just too much room for false and manipulated information at the present. But from  what I gather Putin doesn’t seem to be prosecuting the invasion as an example of indifference to civilian population centers. In a lot of reports they will show a crater and the remnants of an obviously large structure and then pan to peripheral buildings to show damage to  a school or marketplace or some such. I’m on the assumption that the invaders are not yet targeting blatantly civilian sites , but aren’t shying away from hitting targets even very adjacent. 

The movie 2010 (the sequel to 2001) also comes to mind; cosmonauts and astronauts sharing a spaceship on the brink of nuclear attacks in the cold war 80's...

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Peter,

Would the mainstream media give out fake news or exaggerated news or speculations as fact, etc.?

Heh...

I tried to check this story. According to news articles above (see here and here and here), NASA says no changes have happened in USA and Russian cooperation re space missions.

The articles also say a a humor video (they left out the humor part in describing it) based on old footage from the past and CGI is where Russia threatened to leave the American astronaut behind. And, as backup, the articles said the following video by Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russia's Space Agency, is where he, speaking in the name of Russia, specifically threatened to leave the American astronaut behind.

I'm wondering, with news this inflammatory, why didn't anyone bother to translate this? Or at least translate the quote from Rogozin?

I'm not saying these items are not implied or explicit threats, but I am saying I would like to see more than a CGI video and a video in Russian that has not been translated as proof. After all, the mainstream media would never take a quote out of context would it? Nahhh... not the mainstream media...

:) 

I went to Dmitry Rogozin's Twitter account because the news articles also said ne made mean tweets about Biden.

Here is his Twitter account:

РОГОЗИН

I was surprised. I expected a surly Russian brute and bully barking out demands in Russian.

Instead, there are funny tweets of all kinds, including a meme made with a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I presume the Russian tweets are the same, but I did not translate them so I can't say for sure.

Is this guy dangerous? Maybe.

At least he likes to laugh.

The only thing I know for sure in checking--so far--is that the mainstream media, the fake news media, hates, despises, loathes mean tweets.

Michael

But wait, I thought there were no bio-labs in Ukraine?

Dr. Fauci condemns Russia’s destruction of bio-labs in Ukraine, defends gain of function research

Dr-Fauci-1.jpg
VANCOUVERTIMES.ORG

Jason Pires Dr. Fauci condemned Vladimir Putin for his destruction of bio-labs in Ukraine, saying that he was destroying years of work that...

7 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Peter,

Would the mainstream media give out fake news or exaggerated news or speculations as fact, etc.?

Heh...

I tried to check this story. According to news articles above (see here and here and here), NASA says no changes have happened in USA and Russian cooperation re space missions.

The articles also say a a humor video (they left out the humor part in describing it) based on old footage from the past and CGI is where Russia threatened to leave the American astronaut behind. And, as backup, the articles said the following video by Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russia's Space Agency, is where he, speaking in the name of Russia, specifically threatened to leave the American astronaut behind.

I'm wondering, with news this inflammatory, why didn't anyone bother to translate this? Or at least translate the quote from Rogozin?

I'm not saying these items are not implied or explicit threats, but I am saying I would like to see more than a CGI video and a video in Russian that has not been translated as proof. After all, the mainstream media would never take a quote out of context would it? Nahhh... not the mainstream media...

I went to Dmitry Rogozin's Twitter account because the news articles also said ne made mean tweets about Biden.

Here is his Twitter account:

РОГОЗИН

I was surprised. I expected a surly Russian brute and bully barking out demands in Russian.

Instead, there are funny tweets of all kinds, including a meme made with a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I presume the Russian tweets are the same, but I did not translate them so I can't say for sure.

Is this guy dangerous? Maybe.

At least he likes to laugh.

The only thing I know for sure in checking--so far--is that the mainstream media, the fake news media, hates, despises, loathes mean tweets.

Michael

I'll take the hit for this one, since I'm the one who shared the article. (Not that I claimed it as absolute fact, but because it went with the previous claim that the Russians threatened to allow the ISS to fall out of orbit.) But I'll admit that I personally did that this particular quote on the current story about the astronaut at face value. (It's not implausible, at least...)

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/02/25/ukraine-russian-space-chief-suggests-iss-could-crash-into-us-or-europe-as-a-result-of-sanc

2 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

I'll take the hit for this one...

TG,

There is no hit. Why? Because there is no side worth hitting for.

There are no good guys in this story.

And that includes the mainstream press.

I was just making a call for good intellectual habits and objectivity. It's sad but true. We have to check everything right now since everybody is spinning and lying their asses off.

The bitch of discussing a fight without a good guy in it is that people automatically assume if you criticize one side for something, you are supporting the other. Or if you are supporting one side on a specific point, you are for that side and calling it a good guy side, thus calling the other side the bad guy in the story.

What's the cure? Observation, of course. So let's look.

Who is directly involved in the current Russia-Ukraine mess? (I include the relevant people when I mention a side. For example, when I say Russia, I also mean Putin & Co.)

Russia
Ukraine
NATO
USA
WEF (Davos)
China
Mainstream Media

There are even more, but does anyone see a good guy among these fine organizations and countries? Just one good guy? Just one little one? One itsy-bitty one?

Heh...

To be clear, I believe the USA is usually a good guy, but not in this case and not under Biden and his peeps. Sometimes the USA breaks bad and when it does, get the hell out of the way. It is highly efficient at fucking things up: the good, the bad, the ugly, the guilty and the innocent.

Michael

The Left, 2016-2021: "PUNCH ALL NAZIS!"

The Left, 2022: "Not THOSE Nazis..."

From Salon.com : Are there really neo-Nazis fighting for Ukraine? Well, yes — but it's a long story

"No, Putin didn't wage war to "denazify" Ukraine — but that nation's shadowy far-right militias are big trouble"

azov-batallion-ukraine-0309221.jpg
WWW.SALON.COM

No, Putin didn't wage war to "denazify" Ukraine — but that nation's shadowy far-right militias are big trouble

• Smile 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:49 AM, tmj said:

"At least 636 civilians have been killed in Ukraine since Russian invasion began, UN says. As of Sunday, at least 636 civilians have died in Ukraine since the Russian invasion began, the UN Human Rights office (OHCHR) said Monday in a statement sent to CNN"

I reckon "not yet targeting blatantly civilian sites" seems correct. Definite, there has not been a scorched earth tactic by Russia, purposefully firing on civilian areas (or not much that I can tell, and mostly inadvertent - I haven't been following closely).

That tactic could have been at minimum 10 times as costly of Ukraine lives, by this stage. Russia have the artillery and tanks.

Military deaths from a quick search: Russian soldiers - "between 5000 and 6000" ; Ukraine - "at least 2870".

Does this point to self-restraint and caution by Russian Command to avoid/limit civilian casualties? Even, to their disadvantage?

Another good Salon article: "To understand is not to condone".

burnt-out-truck-ukraine-0228221.jpg
WWW.SALON.COM

I was a war correspondent for 20 years. I carry the ghosts with me. War brings only chaos, terror and death

Preemptive war, whether in Iraq or Ukraine, is a war crime. It does not matter if the war is launched on the basis of lies and fabrications, as was the case in Iraq, or because of the breaking of a series of agreements with Russia, including the promise by Washington not to extend NATO beyond the borders of a unified Germany, not to deploy thousands of NATO troops in Eastern Europe and not to meddle in the internal affairs of nations on the Russia's border, as well as the refusal to implement the Minsk II peace agreement. The invasion of Ukraine would, I expect, never have happened if these promises had been kept. Russia has every right to feel threatened, betrayed and angry. But to understand is not to condone. The invasion of Ukraine, under post-Nuremberg laws, is a criminal war of aggression.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On an address early Tuesday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy predicted victory over Russian President Vladimir Putin's forces in Ukraine and offered Russian troops a "chance to survive" by surrendering.

"The 19th day of our resistance is over. Historical war. Another difficult day, which is still approaching our victory. Approaching peace for Ukraine," Zelenskyy began, according to his presidential office. He noted that "the enemy is confused" and did not expect stiff resistance. "Their soldiers know this. Their officers are aware of this. They flee the battlefield. They abandon equipment." . . . "We take trophies and use them to protect Ukraine," Zelenskyy said. "Today, Russian troops are, in fact, one of the suppliers of equipment to our army. They could not imagine such a thing in a nightmare."

He then addressed the Russian soldiers, urging them to surrender. "Russian conscripts! Listen to me very carefully," Zelenskyy warned. "Russian officers! You’ve already understood everything. You will not take anything from Ukraine. You will take lives. There are a lot of you. But your life will also be taken. But why should you die? What for? I know that you want to survive." "Therefore, I offer you a choice," the president said. "On behalf of the Ukrainian people, I give you a chance. Chance to survive." . . . .

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, anthony said:

Another good Salon article...

Tony,

When I saw that, I wondered, does Salon have good articles? Huh... Whodda thunk it?

Then I saw it was by Chris Hedges, it was from another website and it was dated March 1.

There. That's better. The world makes sense once again...

Chris is one of a handful of lefties I respect. I don't agree with him a lot, but I respect his integrity to present what he believes, instead of doing like most and making up or repeating shit to manipulate a narrative.

This actually is a good commentary article. 

Chris vividly portrays in concrete terms what war looks like to a person in it. Like he said: "There are no good wars."

War sometimes is necessary, but it should always be a means of last resort, not first.

Here are two quotes from the article I liked that indirectly illustrate this:

The invasion of Ukraine, under post-Nuremberg laws, is a criminal war of aggression.

. . .

Yes, the Russians were baited. But they reacted by pulling the trigger. This is a crime. Their crime.

and

The bellicose rhetoric embraced and amplified by the American press, demonizing Vladimir Putin and elevating the Ukrainians to the status of demigods, demanding more robust military intervention along with the crippling sanctions meant to bring down Putin's government, is infantile and dangerous.

These are thoughts of reason. Choosing war without first exhausting all other doable means is not. It is possible--nay, a moral imperative--to hold both thoughts in one's mind at the same time to claim reason as the standard.

Michael

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

These are thoughts of reason. Choosing war without first exhausting all other doable means is not.

That sounds like a Putin-esque argument. I saw one article that said Putin will invade west after he kills off most of the resistance in Ukraine. There are probably ways that his current expansion resembles Germany's, Italy's, and Japan's at the beginning of WWII.

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

That sounds like a Putin-esque argument. I saw one article that said Putin will invade west after he kills off most of the resistance in Ukraine. There are probably ways that his current expansion resembles Germany's, Italy's, and Japan's at the beginning of WWII.

So the argument is that Putin will use a weaken force and attack a NATO country ?

I think he just wants to assure Ukraine remains out of NATO, Russia remains in control of 'Eastern" Ukraine and the Crimea including the Crimea's water source , apparently the fresh water needs of that region are dependent on water sourced on the 'mainland' and the canal that feeds it was shut by Ukraine. Keeping those regions firmly in Russian control maintains the associated coastlines and ports.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I saw one article that said Putin will invade west after he kills off most of the resistance in Ukraine. There are probably ways that his current expansion resembles Germany's, Italy's, and Japan's at the beginning of WWII.

Hysterical schoolgirl stuff in the article. Russia isn't having things their own way, only conquering Ukraine. Supply lines, logistics, a tough resistance,  etc.  What is near impossible, if and when they do, is to occupy a resistant Ukraine for any length of time.

Next, to "invade" the West? To take on NATO, its air supremacy, ground forces, and all, on unfamiliar terrain without the element of surprise any more?!

Putin's not insane. Bad mistake to believe so.

What one would give to read his mind. My guesstimate, he raised the stakes this high, in a partial bluff, in order to settle for less: The 3 demands he wants met. 

Only a President Trump can play this high pressure poker without cracking..

• Upvote 1