Donald Trump

2012 Iowa Republican Primary - Votes Cast - 121,501.

Figure fifteen candidates on the ballot?

A great field force wins this baby every time...tv and radio ad campaigns are a complete loser in a modern election with a small turnout...

Santorum won by 34 votes over Romney, with Ron Paul a distant 3rd - together they amounted to approximately to 70% of the total votes cast.

A...

Good case for ignoring Iowa.

what-is-the-finest-canned-meat-on-the-gr

Both parties have failed the middle class. That's why Trump is winning.

20151209_mid2_0.jpg

Does it follow that Trump at the controls will promote the fortunes of the middle class???

2012 Iowa Republican Primary - Votes Cast - 121,501.

Figure fifteen candidates on the ballot?

A great field force wins this baby every time...tv and radio ad campaigns are a complete loser in a modern election with a small turnout...

Santorum won by 34 votes over Romney, with Ron Paul a distant 3rd - together they amounted to approximately to 70% of the total votes cast.

A...

Good case for ignoring Iowa.

what-is-the-finest-canned-meat-on-the-gr

What is that phallic entity the man is inserting into his oral cavity?

From The Times of Israel: “PM rejects Trump’s comments on Muslims, but will still meet him. The State of Israel respects all religions and strictly guarantees the rights of all its citizens. At the same time, Israel is fighting against militant Islam that targets Muslims, Christians and Jews alike and threatens the entire world,” Trump cancels Israel trip, will meet PM ‘after I become president’

I liked the intro to the following article. Heather Wilhelm in Realclearpolitics - Donald Trump: The man knows how to command attention. Earlier this week, just as the country sat on the verge of a real and meaningful discussion about the threat of international terrorism—BAM! Trump re-entered the room. Jaws dropped. Plates clattered to the ground. Ladies gasped. We were off to the races. Journalists were the proverbial golden retrievers;
end quote

Wolf wrote: Trump has Mark Levin behind him, Mike Gallagher, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul like-minded, 60% of the electorate.
end quote

How many pundits and Republican candidates got it wrong? Except for Cruz and Rand Paul, the rest denounced Donald Trump and THE opinion of a majority of Americans and common sense. Calling them The Nattering Classes is apt, Michael.

Yet are Fiorina, Bush, Rubio, etc. smacking their foreheads and saying, oh how could I have been so wrong? Yes they are. HA. Trump WAS politically correct because he got the votes, and he is right in his policy decision. Is it time to change PC to mean, politically elect-ably, correct?
Peter

What is that phallic entity the man is inserting into his oral cavity?

My guess is that it is some form of "deep fried" corndog...

Both parties have failed the middle class. That's why Trump is winning.

Does it follow that Trump at the controls will promote the fortunes of the middle class???

He cannot possibly do worse. Check his tax plan and policy on domestic manufacturing.

Bob, you seem to have an animus to The Donald, would you mind laying out your objections to him as POTUS?

A...

Bob,

Think about the difference in the middle class from Jimmy Carter to Ronald Reagan. That's about what will happen with Trump.

Actually, I believe it will be far, far better, but I don't want to sound unreal. So I'll keep my prediction at Reagan levels, or better, a minimum of Reagan levels.

Michael

I'm not even going to quote from this WaPo article.

It's about a focus group Frank Luntz conducted with Trump supporters, testing them for reactions with over 3 hours of anti-Trump propaganda (starting with Kasich's Hitler ad).

Just read it and weep, anti-Trumpers.

Attacks on Trump just make these voters like him more

:)

Michael

I learned something recently from Rush Limbaugh regarding Donald Trump.

Audience numbers.

Everybody agrees that the Fox cable TV shows have the highest ratings among cable news, yet their top shows (O'Reilly, Kelly, Hannity and others) average one to three million viewers. Hannity is basically in the tank for Trump, but the other shows are not.

So Fox is the highest. Now imagine the numbers for CNN, MSNBC, etc. Almost all of the shows are way below one million, only in the neighborhood of a few hundred thousand.

That's cable news. Now let's look at talk radio (see here).

Of the top six shows, the average audience is from 5.25 million to 13.25 million on up (depending on the day--Rush claims to hit 20 million at times). Of these top six, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and Michael Savage are in the tank for Trump. (David Ramsey does not give his opinion much and Glenn Beck hates Trump.)

I wager that the audience member who listens to one show does not listen too much to the others. Why? Time. These shows tend to be long.

Now let's add something more interesting: Alex Jones, who is much harder to rate accurately. According to a nasty 2011 Rolling Stone article that investigated this, Alex has more audience than Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh combined (see here). Alex is not only solidly in the tank for Trump, in a recent interview with Trump (posted in this thread somewhere), he openly stated about 90% of his audience supported Trump.

Rush's observation on all this is that the elite media and establishment pundits simply have no clue who that audience is. They imagine Trump supporters (and talk radio listeners) are uneducated yahoos who don't vote anyway. Plebeians.

And they are baffled that their message is not persuading the masses against Trump. Well... look at their audience numbers as opposed to the audience numbers of people who highly favor Trump.

It's kinda duh, but you don't think about it until you look. I didn't.

btw - On a values level, talk show radio audiences are generally a lot stronger in close-knit family values than the elite media folks are. This means they tend to be more homogeneous qua family in their political views. Thus one Trump supporter who listens to one of these shows will probably mean 3 or 4 votes for Trump.

Michael

Trump has the Republican Party by the balls. If the Republican party attempts to boot Trump out, he will do a Ross Perot and run as a third party candidate. If he does that he will split the Republican vote and the Democrats will win for sure. If the Republican party does nominate Trump win or lose, he will damage the reputation of the Republican party even more than the right-wing yo yo s have and it could mean the death of the Republican Party.

If the Democrats are smart some of them will switch party identities just to vote in the Republican primaries and guarantee that Trump will be nominated.

Just remember how Ross Perot put Bill Clinton into office and Bill Clinton did not get a majority of the votes at large.

If the Republican party does nominate Trump win or lose, he will damage the reputation of the Republican party even more than the right-wing yo yo s have and it could mean the death of the Republican Party.

You mean the way Ronald Reagan destroyed the Republican Party with two (2) monumental landslides?

A...

If the Republican party does nominate Trump win or lose, he will damage the reputation of the Republican party even more than the right-wing yo yo s have and it could mean the death of the Republican Party.

You mean the way Ronald Reagan destroyed the Republican Party with two (2) monumental landslides?

A...

No landslides for Trump. He will lose.

A...

So you evaded answering the question about right wing yo yo's ruining the Republican Party by just talking about something else?

Very un-Aspie Bob...

A...

A...

So you evaded answering the question about right wing yo yo's ruining the Republican Party by just talking about something else?

Very un-Aspie Bob...

A...

In a way The Ronald did destroy the Republican Party. After he did his Ronnie thing, the Republican party was no longer a fit place for the likes of Barry Goldwater (the last Republican I voted for). Ronnie opened up the Party the the Rubes of Jesus Land and we have been suffering from that ever since. There is no longer any credible opposition to the Progressive Pinko Stinko Commie loving America hating Liberals....

A...

Very un-Aspie Bob...

A...

In a way The Ronald did destroy the Republican Party. After he did his Ronnie thing, the Republican party was no longer a fit place for the likes of Barry Goldwater (the last Republican I voted for). Ronnie opened up the Party the the Rubes of Jesus Land and we have been suffering from that ever since. There is no longer any credible opposition to the Progressive Pinko Stinko Commie loving America hating Liberals....

"In a way..." wow we are clutching for straws here...

So, it was not the Progressives like George Herbert Walker Bush who lied to us with his asinine "...read my lips no new taxes..." pledge and the clumsy administration that led to a minority thug from Arkansas to grab to Presidency out of the incumbent's hands and the betrayal of the Republican base right?

It was those clingers to their bibles, oops no that was the current Progressive.

So who did you vote for in 1992?

Also, in 1972?

A...

Here you go Bob, a little educational video for your mind..."stupid" speaks at about 2:30 of the video and he points his skeletal finger at us and lectures us as to his promise...

Rasmussen Dec. 8-9, 1000 likely voters, 3% margin of error

20151210_muslims.jpg

Why do polls matter? Just curious. Would it matter to you if the splits were reversed?

Was this all voters?

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of Likely Republican Voters favor a temporary ban on all Muslims entering the United States until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here. Just 24% oppose the plan, with 10% undecided.

20151210_muslims.jpg

Why do polls matter? Just curious. Would it matter to you if the splits were reversed?

Was this all voters?

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 66% of Likely Republican Voters favor a temporary ban on all Muslims entering the United States until the federal government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists from coming here. Just 24% oppose the plan, with 10% undecided.

I'll ask again: why do such polls matter? If a poll were presented that said 46% of likely voters favored the redistribution of wealth from the "top 1%", would that be a sound basis for an Objectivist-minded person to favor wealth redistribution?

A poll result is not an argument, nor is it a validation of an argument.

20151210_muslims.jpg

Was this all voters?

I'll ask again: why do such polls matter? If a poll were presented that said 46% of likely voters favored the redistribution of wealth from the "top 1%", would that be a sound basis for an Objectivist-minded person to favor wealth redistribution?

A poll result is not an argument, nor is it a validation of an argument.

Nor should they be used that way.

To a professional political person like myself, there are certain dynamics that polls reveal depending on the sample assumptions, question wording and originator of the request to the polling company/the polling company's agenda.

That is the only reason that I ask and employ polls for.

A...

If only Objectivist principle would influence policies! The sad reality is that polls and stats are today's source of 'principle'. Polls eventually dictate the pols actions. Knowing this, trending polls can't be dismissed by the rest of us (and I'd like to).