Donald Trump

NO email, money letters from The Yankees or The Dallas Cowboys. Or Trump. I once wrote Michelle Obama thanking her for her anti bullying stance and I still get letters from her and the White House.

Yankees and The Donald don't need money...they strive for excellence which makes money...

Thanks for finding your sense of humor again...

A...

For the Trump supporters a quick question: would he still be as successful without the boorishness?* Or is that part of the package, more or less?

*"I know more about ISIS than the Generals do, I have one of the world's great memories, etc." [sorry if these aren't exact quotes].

David,

Part of it's all those magnificent buildings...

Boorishness (if that's the right term) doesn't build them.

:smile:

A boorish builder or a polite community organizer?

Gimme the builder.

The other's a loser.

(Besides, if I remember correctly, you are a Sarah Palin... ahem... fan... :) So don't forget that Trump is going to put Palin in his cabinet... Just sayin' so you'll sleep well... :) )

Michael

Compare and contrast: Elon Musk and Donald Trump

Compare and contrast: Bill Gates and Donald Trump

Compare and contract: Henry Ford and Donald Trump

Do you see a pattern here?

David,

Part of it's all those magnificent buildings...

Boorishness (if that's the right term) doesn't build them.

A boorish builder or a polite community organizer?

Gimme the builder.

The other's a loser.

(Besides, if I remember correctly, you are a Sarah Palin... ahem... fan... :smile: So don't forget that Trump is going to put Palin in his cabinet... Just sayin' so you'll sleep well... :smile: )

Michael

Building buildings has nothing to do with his claimed secret for defeating ISIS or bragging about his memory. I was actually addressing the issue of the "hidden technique" the Dilbert guy claims that Trump is using--i.e., the functional equivelent of hypnotism.

In other words, is his boorishness (outlandishness?) part of the success of this technique? I genuinely wonder. As a trial lawyer, this would be a fascinating thing to know, since my experience with juries (also called voters...) is quite the opposite.

[No, I was not a Palin fan, by the way--although I think she was very unfairly treated. But that's neither here nor there.]

The reason I ask is that I think Trump would have even more supporters were it not for this temperamental quirk. But--perhaps this is the secret of the technique--without the boorishness/outlandishness, he would lose even more supporters.

Tax Reform That Will Make America Great Again. The Goals Of Donald J. Trump’s Tax Plan

Too few Americans are working, too many jobs have been shipped overseas, and too many middle class families cannot make ends meet. This tax plan directly meets these challenges with four simple goals: Tax relief for middle class Americans: In order to achieve the American dream, let people keep more money in their pockets and increase after-tax wages. Simplify the tax code to reduce the headaches Americans face in preparing their taxes and let everyone keep more of their money. Grow the American economy by discouraging corporate inversions, adding a huge number of new jobs, and making America globally competitive again. Doesn’t add to our debt and deficit, which are already too large.

The Trump Tax Plan Achieves These Goals. If you are single and earn less than $25,000, or married and jointly earn less than $50,000, you will not owe any income tax. That removes nearly 75 million households – over 50% – from the income tax rolls. They get a new one page form to send the IRS saying, “I win,” those who would otherwise owe income taxes will save an average of nearly $1,000 each. All other Americans will get a simpler tax code with four brackets – 0%, 10%, 20% and 25% – instead of the current seven. This new tax code eliminates the marriage penalty and the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) while providing the lowest tax rate since before World War II. No business of any size, from a Fortune 500 to a mom and pop shop to a freelancer living job to job, will pay more than 15% of their business income in taxes. This lower rate makes corporate inversions unnecessary by making America’s tax rate one of the best in the world. No family will have to pay the death tax. You earned and saved that money for your family, not the government. You paid taxes on it when you earned it.

The Trump Tax Plan Is Revenue Neutral. The Trump tax cuts are fully paid for by: Reducing or eliminating most deductions and loopholes available to the very rich. A one-time deemed repatriation of corporate cash held overseas at a significantly discounted 10% tax rate, followed by an end to the deferral of taxes on corporate income earned abroad. Reducing or eliminating corporate loopholes that cater to special interests, as well as deductions made unnecessary or redundant by the new lower tax rate on corporations and business income. We will also phase in a reasonable cap on the deductibility of business interest expenses.

DETAILS OF DONALD J. TRUMP’S TAX PLAN. America needs a bold, simple and achievable plan based on conservative economic principles. This plan does that with needed tax relief for all Americans, especially the working poor and middle class, pro-growth tax reform for all sizes of businesses, and fiscally responsible steps to ensure this plan does not add to our enormous debt and deficit. This plan simplifies the tax code by taking nearly 50% of current filers off the income tax rolls entirely and reducing the number of tax brackets from seven to four for everyone else. This plan also reduces or eliminates loopholes used by the very rich and special interests made unnecessary or redundant by the new lower tax rates on individuals and companies.

The Trump Tax Plan: A Simpler Tax Code For All Americans. When the income tax was first introduced, just one percent of Americans had to pay it. It was never intended as a tax most Americans would pay. The Trump plan eliminates the income tax for over 73 million households. 42 million households that currently file complex forms to determine they don’t owe any income taxes will now file a one page form saving them time, stress, uncertainty and an average of $110 in preparation costs. Over 31 million households get the same simplification and keep on average nearly $1,000 of their hard-earned money. For those Americans who will still pay the income tax, the tax rates will go from the current seven brackets to four simpler, fairer brackets that eliminate the marriage penalty and the AMT while providing the lowest tax rate since before World War II:

Income Tax Rate Long Term Cap Gains/ Dividends Rate Single Filers Married Filers Heads of Household

0% 0% $0 to $25,000 $0 to $50,000 $0 to $37,500

10% 0% $25,001 to $50,000 $50,001 to $100,000 $37,501 to $75,000

20% 15% $50,001 to $150,000 $100,001 to $300,000 $75,001 to $225,000

25% 20% $150,001 and up $300,001 and up $225,001 and up

With this huge reduction in rates, many of the current exemptions and deductions will become unnecessary or redundant. Those within the 10% bracket will keep all or most of their current deductions. Those within the 20% bracket will keep more than half of their current deductions. Those within the 25% bracket will keep fewer deductions. Charitable giving and mortgage interest deductions will remain unchanged for all taxpayers.

Simplifying the tax code and cutting every American’s taxes will boost consumer spending, encourage savings and investment, and maximize economic growth.

Business Tax Reform To Encourage Jobs And Spur Economic Growth

Too many companies – from great American brands to innovative startups – are leaving America, either directly or through corporate inversions. The Democrats want to outlaw inversions, but that will never work. Companies leaving is not the disease, it is the symptom. Politicians in Washington have let America fall from the best corporate tax rate in the industrialized world in the 1980’s (thanks to Ronald Reagan) to the worst rate in the industrialized world. That is unacceptable. Under the Trump plan, America will compete with the world and win by cutting the corporate tax rate to 15%, taking our rate from one of the worst to one of the best.

This lower tax rate cannot be for big business alone; it needs to help the small businesses that are the true engine of our economy. Right now, freelancers, sole proprietors, unincorporated small businesses and pass-through entities are taxed at the high personal income tax rates. This treatment stifles small businesses. It also stifles tax reform because efforts to reduce loopholes and deductions available to the very rich and special interests end up hitting small businesses and job creators as well. The Trump plan addresses this challenge head on with a new business income tax rate within the personal income tax code that matches the 15% corporate tax rate to help these businesses, entrepreneurs and freelancers grow and prosper. These lower rates will provide a tremendous stimulus for the economy – significant GDP growth, a huge number of new jobs and an increase in after-tax wages for workers.

The Trump Tax Plan Ends The Unfair Death Tax. The death tax punishes families for achieving the American dream. Therefore, the Trump plan eliminates the death tax.

The Trump Tax Plan Is Fiscally Responsible. The Trump tax cuts are fully paid for by: Reducing or eliminating deductions and loopholes available to the very rich, starting by steepening the curve of the Personal Exemption Phaseout and the Pease Limitation on itemized deductions. The Trump plan also phases out the tax exemption on life insurance interest for high-income earners, ends the current tax treatment of carried interest for speculative partnerships that do not grow businesses or create jobs and are not risking their own capital, and reduces or eliminates other loopholes for the very rich and special interests. These reductions and eliminations will not harm the economy or hurt the middle class. Because the Trump plan introduces a new business income rate within the personal income tax code, they will not harm small businesses either.

A one-time deemed repatriation of corporate cash held overseas at a significantly discounted 10% tax rate. Since we are making America’s corporate tax rate globally competitive, it is only fair that corporations help make that move fiscally responsible. U.S.-owned corporations have as much as $2.5 trillion in cash sitting overseas. Some companies have been leaving cash overseas as a tax maneuver. Under this plan, they can bring their cash home and put it to work in America while benefitting from the newly-lowered corporate tax rate that is globally competitive and no longer requires parking cash overseas. Other companies have cash overseas for specific business units or activities. They can leave that cash overseas, but they will still have to pay the one-time repatriation fee. An end to the deferral of taxes on corporate income earned abroad. Corporations will no longer be allowed to defer taxes on income earned abroad, but the foreign tax credit will remain in place because no company should face double taxation. Reducing or eliminating some corporate loopholes that cater to special interests, as well as deductions made unnecessary or redundant by the new lower tax rate on corporations and business income. We will also phase in a reasonable cap on the deductibility of business interest expenses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/explained-the-upside-down-world-of-corporate-tax-inversions-1.2440947

How does this work?

It is based on two key factors in the US tax code. The first is that the headline US rate of corporation tax, at 35 per cent, is among the highest among major economies. The second is that, unlike most countries, the US taxes its companies on worldwide earnings. Most countries levy corporate tax on profits earned in their jurisdiction. However the US levies companies on worldwide profits, though it does exempt foreign earnings when they are not repatriated to the US. After an inversion, a big US company still pays US tax on the profits earned in the US, but the tax paid on its non-US earnings can fall significantly.

Pfizer’s effective tax rates on its profits could fall from 25 per cent to below 20 per cent in the short term, once the Allergan deal is completed , and some analysts predict it could fall substantially further in the years ahead.

How does inversion lead to such big tax gains?

As well as the lower rate on income earned outside the US, inversions also allow companies to legally avoid tax via inter-company transactions. The most common is when the US arm borrows money from what is now its foreign parent and then sends large interest payments back overseas. This reduced profits declared in the US and increases the profits declared in the lower tax jurisdiction abroad. The US had been expected to crack down on this so called “earnings strippings” , but so far it hasn’t.

For shareholders of US companies, the inversion deal involves giving away some equity in the company in the hope that the resulting tax gains will more than make up for it.

Where does Ireland come in?

Rules introduced in recent years mean inversions no longer work with firms operating in tax havens such as the Caymans. However they are still legal with Ireland, which has a low tax 12.5 per cent regime rather than the “ no tax” regime as in many havens. Particularly in the pharma sector, deals with companies resident in Ireland have thus become popular, such as the takeover last year by Medtronic of Irish domiciled Covidien.

From my ABA e-mail today:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/inversions_gain_in_popularity_with_help_of_skadden_lawyers/?utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_email

The article cites figures from Thomson Reuters showing that, since 2013, Skadden has advised on 12 of 28 proposed inversion deals valued at about $430 billion.

In a corporate inversion, a U.S. company buys a foreign company and relocates its headquarters to the foreign jurisdiction, the Irish Times explains in this article. The deal is called an inversion because the acquired company is generally smaller. The deal benefits the U.S. company because it is no longer forced to pay taxes on foreign earnings, and the foreign corporate tax rate is lower.

Skadden is among the firms working on Pfizer’s Inc.’s deal to buy Dublin-based Allergan, dubbed a “super inversion” because of the size of the deal and terms that give Allergan 44 percent of the merged entity. The size of that stake that will keep the merger from running afoul of new rules designed to stop U.S. firms from buying much smaller companies overseas, the Irish Times explains.

Among those criticizing corporate inversions is Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew, who said last week that “creative accountants and lawyers” are helping U.S. companies avoid taxes. According to the Wall Street Journal, Skadden’s work has landed it “in the middle of an election-year debate about U.S. tax policy and corporate tax planning, with billions of dollars riding on the firm’s efforts.”

Great job Republicans and maexists all together ruining America with the Tax Code!!

In other words, is his boorishness (outlandishness?) part of the success of this technique? I genuinely wonder. As a trial lawyer, this would be a fascinating thing to know, since my experience with juries (also called voters...) is quite the opposite.

[No, I was not a Palin fan, by the way--although I think she was very unfairly treated. But that's neither here nor there.]

David,

I'll give you more on this tomorrow. Including about the Dilbert guy.

I was just kidding you about Sarah Palin. Once, a long time ago, you told me you knew the real inside dope on her or something like that and that she was a bad evil no-good do-nasty dirty rotten scoundrel.

:)

Michael

For those who are getting tired of not being able to talk about Trump's qualities to their friends, I have noticed something all over Facebook. (I bet it is all over other places, too.)

I have seen--a lot--people, important people within the subcommunity, make a positive comment about Trump. Then the attack dogs come out and get hostile. Nasty. Then these initial people shut up. The dust settles for a few days and they say something good about Trump again. Another round ensues and they shut up again. And so on.

Sometimes I post on these threads, except instead of being discrete, I let it all hang out and say that I am unashamedly a Trump supporter. :) I get some nastiness (which I generally rebut with good-natured banter), but I also get likes from people I do not know. I'm talking about people who read and comment on O-Land posts.

At first, I got an impression of underground Trump support, but thought, nah... Wishful thinking is not fact. But this pattern has repeated often enough that I can mention my speculation and be reasonably sure I am correct.

I believe lots and lots and lots of people support Trump, but don't have much stomach for the public bickering and hostility of the haters. So while anti-Trump people might feel good about shutting down someone who says something good about Trump, silencing folks is not convincing them. No one bickers inside voting booths. I speculate a hell of a lot of people are going to vote for Trump even if they don't want to talk about it much in public--too much hassle, too many haters. And I suspect these folks are not well represented in the polls.

So I believe a landslide is coming that will make absolute fools out of the pundits.

I might be wrong, but this pattern keeps happening over and over. I'm not making this up. I won't name names because I believe these folks don't want to be dragged into anything. No problem. I'm perfectly happy with their more discrete votes when the time comes.

:)

Michael

Compare and contrast: Elon Musk and Donald Trump

Compare and contrast: Bill Gates and Donald Trump

Compare and contract: Henry Ford and Donald Trump

Do you see a pattern here?

Is this an essay assignment and if so, what are the word limits...you know like that ole' Regents question in NY State...you were not allowed to receive an Academic H.S. Diploma without passing your Regent's exams...

You know back in those halcyon days of yore...

Take a look at the questions...

http://128.121.13.244/awweb/main.jsp?flag=browse&smd=2&awdid=1

Imagine giving this curriculum today?

In 1879, after evaluating the results of the first administration, the Board of Regents approved a series of examinations for secondary schools to be given in November, February, and June each year, as follows:

Rhetoric and English composition
English literature
Algebra, through quadratics
Plane geometry
Plane trigonometry
American history
Science of government
Political economy
General history
Classical geography and antiquities
Physical geography
Physiology and hygiene
Zoology
Astronomy
Chemistry
Botany
Geology
Latin grammar and exercises
Caesar's Commentaries, books 1-2
Caesar's Commentaries, books 3-4
Virgil's Aeneid, books 1-2
Virgil's Aeneid, books 3-6
Greek grammar (except Prosody)
Greek grammar (Prosody)
Homer's Iliad
Xenophon's Anabasis, books 2-3
Xenophon's Anabasis, book 1
French grammar and exercises
French translations
German
Natural philosophy
Mental philosophy
Moral philosophy
Bookkeeping
Drawing, freehand and mechanical
Eclogues of Virgil
Latin prose composition
Sallust's Catiline
Sallust's Jugurthine War
Cicero in Catalinam
Cicero pro Lege Manilia
Cicero pro Archiam

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/hsgen/archive/rehistory.htm

David,

I'll give you more on this tomorrow. Including about the Dilbert guy.

I was just kidding you about Sarah Palin. Once, a long time ago, you told me you knew the real inside dope on her or something like that and that she was a bad evil no-good do-nasty dirty rotten scoundrel.

Michael

Looking forward to it. I do think the Dilbert guy is on to something.

Imagine giving this curriculum today?

In 1879, after evaluating the results of the first administration, the Board of Regents approved a series of examinations for secondary schools to be given in November, February, and June each year, as follows:

Rhetoric and English composition

English literature

Algebra, through quadratics

Plane geometry

Plane trigonometry

American history

Science of government

Political economy

General history

Classical geography and antiquities

Physical geography

Physiology and hygiene

Zoology

Astronomy

Chemistry

Botany

Geology

Latin grammar and exercises

Caesar's Commentaries, books 1-2

Caesar's Commentaries, books 3-4

Virgil's Aeneid, books 1-2

Virgil's Aeneid, books 3-6

Greek grammar (except Prosody)

Greek grammar (Prosody)

Homer's Iliad

Xenophon's Anabasis, books 2-3

Xenophon's Anabasis, book 1

French grammar and exercises

French translations

German

Natural philosophy

Mental philosophy

Moral philosophy

Bookkeeping

Drawing, freehand and mechanical

Eclogues of Virgil

Latin prose composition

Sallust's Catiline

Sallust's Jugurthine War

Cicero in Catalinam

Cicero pro Lege Manilia

Cicero pro Archiam

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/assessment/hsgen/archive/rehistory.htm

I did everything down to Geology. I never studied Latin or Greek in High School.

The media can nitpick and play gotcha all they want, but the video below, which Trump posted on Facebook, is all he needs to make fools of them:

He has even more backup with stories like the following on Breitbart, but that is gravy: 9 Pieces of Documentation that Vindicate Trump’s Claim of 9/11 Muslim Celebrations.

In fact, this whole story is brilliant by Trump. I'm not sure he orchestrated it on purpose or fell into it (I suspect he fell into it and improvised), but the result is the media is committing suicide regarding what's left of its reputation, and it's doing it with gusto right in front of everyone.

Dayaamm!

More tomorrow...

Michael

The real issue is that the media controlled by the FCC:

1) failed to cover the news surrounding the celebrations by Muslim groups and persons who self identify as Muslim [and that is what counts today] post 9-11-2001; and/or

2) conducted a false "fact-check" and engaged in an organized cover-up of what occurred by self-identified Muslims under their FCC license which should be prima facie evidence to remove their licenses.

A...

My dogpile search turned up numerous reports...including the famous YouTube of the "dancing Israelis" as it is named.

I believe lots and lots and lots of people support Trump, but don't have much stomach for the public bickering and hostility of the haters. So while anti-Trump people might feel good about shutting down someone who says something good about Trump, silencing folks is not convincing them.

I'm seeing a lot of that in the people I know. They're not responding to hostility, but they're also not being swayed by it. It's as if they think that the people who are screaming in their faces aren't worth the effort, so let the screamers think that their screaming is working, and let them discover differently on Election Day.

J

Many folks may not have voted in the last few Presidential elections, or, governor elections, or may never have registered at all.

I have been making sure all of my converts are registered and that can be done right from your desk by getting them their States form by e-mail and helping them fill it out and signed and then you can mail it in for them to make sure they will be eligible on primary and election day.

A...

then just remind them and assist them if they need to file absentee ballots, or, vote by mail early as in some states....

Fox reported today, December 2, that Trump is losing a hypothetical Presidential race to Hillary but it also reported that Trump’s UN-favorability ratings are down to (25%?) which is good for him. And as a second choice Republican candidate, he has the highest rating, amongst Republicans. So, let’s say Rubio doesn’t get the nomination then his supporters should gravitate to Trump, based on the latest polls. The same for Cruz’s supporters and Carly’s. Of course the RINO’s will back Christy, Kasich, and Bush to the bitter end. Huckabee’s supporters will back Cruz.

So, how would Donald campaign against Hillary? Barring a SERIES of major gaff on his part I think he would do great. He could nearly bring that witch to tears of frustration in the general campaign and he might tie her in any debate though he will be less specific. Specifics are nice but I don’t think 9-9-9 did Herman Cain much good.

Experience? Hillary was chief apologist, denouncer of the vast right wing conspiracy, and ‘head’ cookie maker for Bill Clinton, Senator from New York, and Secretary of State, all of which sounds quite impressive. But her record as Secretary of State will bring large caliber ammunition against her.

Trump has run an empire and had his ups and downs. He is the consummate DC outsider. That is a plus among 50 percent of the electorate, Republican and Democrat.

Who will he bring on board to run his campaign? I heard Newt Gingrich on Radio Hannity yesterday and Newt seemed as sharp as ever. He is an amazingly creative intellectual. He said he could support Trump. Bring him on board. Karl Rove is very loyal to who is paying him but he may be passé and not suited to someone as radical as Trump. Any ideas or specifics?
Peter

Seems like his team is managing his team quite well...

I wonder if that is because The Donald has perfect executive experience...

He seems to know how to pick people and whom to delegate authority to...I have known who he selected to run his Iowa campaign months before it got fully leaked to the "media" last week.

Comparing The Donald to Herman Cain is, frankly, not a good comparison...

A...

I was not comparing Herman to Donald, but rather the idea of coming up with a specific plan which can be torn to shreds. Herman’s plan was hypothetical so my suggestion to Trump is to NOT be specific about a planned policy if it has not been vetted by experts. Trump’s tax plan seemed quite doable if I remember correctly with no major flaws. I guess I am also against catch phrases like 999 which can be flipped to make a candidate sound shallow.

Yes, Trump's election team is doing good in the primaries, so far, but what about the general election? Does his early success translate to the general election?

Peter

This is the most pitiful "secret confidential memo" that I have ever seen in all my political life.

I have seen some really stupid ones by consultants, however, this one tops them all.

It is so bad that I will not quote from it. Avoid having liquids in your mouth.

Do not read while drinking alcohol or imbibing any types of psychotropics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/memo-on-donald-trump-from-ward-baker-to-nrsc-senior-staff/1898/

I was not comparing Herman to Donald, but rather the idea of coming up with a specific plan which can be torn to shreds. Herman’s plan was hypothetical so my suggestion to Trump is to NOT be specific about a planned policy if it has not been vetted by experts. Trump’s tax plan seemed quite doable if I remember correctly with no major flaws. I guess I am also against catch phrases like 999 which can be flipped to make a candidate sound shallow.

Yes, Trump's election team is doing good in the primaries, so far, but what about the general election? Does his early success translate to the general election?

Peter

When The Donald wins the 2016 Presidential election, if it is against Evita, I fully expect you to say, "OK, so now that "he" got elected, does that success translate to being a successful President?

And on and on we go...

This is the most pitiful "secret memo" that I have ever seen in all my political life.

I have seen some really stupid ones by consultants, however, this one tops them all.

It is so bad that I will not quote from it. Avoid having liquids in your mouth.

Do not read while drinking alcohol or imbibing any types of psychotropics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/memo-on-donald-trump-from-ward-baker-to-nrsc-senior-staff/1898/

Adam,

Here is today's Washington Post article about it:

Private memo lays out how the GOP would deal with Trump as its nominee

btw - This is linked in Drudge's main headline.

12.02.2015-14.45.png

The crows are starting to caw.

Michael