• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mega mega Cathy dittos!!!

[Oh! You're not Brant...]

Cathy:

Not a problem.

As much as I love my brother OLer, I am definitely not Brant.

He is in my foxhole when push comes to shove though.

A...

mega mega Cathy dittos!!!

[Oh! You're not Brant...]

Cathy:

Not a problem.

As much as I love my brother OLer, I am definitely not Brant.

He is in my foxhole when push comes to shove though.

A...

My uncle jumped into a trench during an air raid on Guadalcanal in WWII: "Hello, my name's David Gaede." "My name's David Gaede." They were cousins that had only first met right then. Made the papers back in the States along with a photograph of each other. My uncle is still with us. Several Distinguished Flying Croses, Purple Hearts, about seven Air Medals, Silver Star--Pearl Harbor, Midway, the South Pacific as a navigator on B-17s. Year in the hospital, still has medal in his body from a Zero's exploding 20mm cannon shells. He couldn't move his legs so he passed ammo to the nose gunner who didn't survive. The nose gunner got the Distinguished Service Cross.

--Brant

As I was raised in that time, with my father being an arson investigator, commissioner's driver, 35 year NYFD individual and an original organizer of the union in the thirties '[30s], I walked witn post WW II vets and heros as a normal course of business.

As I have mentioned in past posts, one of my mentors was a Bataa Death March Survivor who led Allied troops back to the location of the camp and assisted in liberating his fellow POW's.

My uncle was pinned under the treads of a tank on D-Day for eitght (8) hours.

I think your dad and mine probably ran into each other somewhere in the American Firster, pre-Pearl Harbor movement in the United States.

A...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, as we have had the honor of meeting you...

Merry Christ mas to you, your family and your progeny until the end of time...

4-snowmen-animated.gif

snowmen-playing-snow.gif

three-wisemen-3-lg.jpgand who would be the Three Kings bringing Ayn and what would they bring her?

Yes, as we have had the honor of meeting you...

Merry Christ mas to you, your family and your progeny until the end of time...

4-snowmen-animated.gif

snowmen-playing-snow.gif

three-wisemen-3-lg.jpgand who would be the Three Kings bringing Ayn and what would they bring her?

The three kings would be Joe, Nick and Frank.

Joe would bring appreciation.

Nick would bring admiration.

and Frank would bring love.

Cathy,

Thank you for sharing your unique perspective, I very much enjoyed reading your stories. You have greatly added to the experience at OL. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best Regards always,

Mike

Mikee, every time I think of OL I think about you. You know what I know and feel what I feel. You having a sister also and being throw away children in a state system that doesn't care. I feel a bond with you, most people don't understand what children like us have been through, but you and I do. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and many, many more :) ~Cathy~

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!

Happy New Year...

Carol is OK and has started to post again...

2013 was a pretty bumpy year for me that I will always remember. February of 2013 I woke up one morning to learned that my beloved Aunt Alice was really Ayn Rand. It made me question everything about my family, after all, who doesn't know everything about their own family? When I first learned that Aunt Alice was Ayn Rand, I thought it was a mistake in identity and they had it wrong, until a friend pulled it up on YouTube, a interview with Donahue. I just couldn't believe it...it was indeed Aunt Alice! It was a day with a whirl wind of emotions for me, but mostly anger, that carried on for most of the year. It was a final slap in my face from my long departed O'Connor family, the final insult to make me feel the contemptment I had felt so many years before. At age fifty five I had to re-think my whole life, at least for my children and grandchildren's sake. I needed to know if one secret lead to other secrets. As I dug into the life of Ayn Rand, I was angry and maybe jealous that a lot of people knew who she was and I had to found out by a stranger. I re-lived my childhood memories with my favorite aunt...Aunt Agnes. Remembering her stories about my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, lead me to more memories until every waking moment my thoughts drifted back to memories of those times. It consumed my life, until my memory snapped into those times like it was yesterday. I wrote these memories and shared some of them with all of you, and all of you held my hand as I walked through some uncertainties, fear, anger and even love for all these long ago family that I thought I knew all there was to know. As I continued to uncover my family history, uncertainties became clear, fear became courage, anger mellowed away, and the love I had for them became even more. Through all of this I have found two of my first cousin's with the help of very caring people. I always say...God will take you where you need to be, and he brought me here. I am starting this new year with a new perspective and a lighter heart, with an old family that are new and a new sprite in my soul of the ones I loved and forgotten. I will never forget the year 2013 or any of you! Happy New Year to all of you with much appreciation and gratitude for all that you have helped me through! ~Cathy~

As a Randian hero I refuse to abandon 2013.

--Brant (The Deluded)

what kind of ______ (put in your own bad word) would do that?

c'mon man give it up, let 2013 go down in the anals of history

That's what I'd call a crappy pun.

Quite funny actually.

To Tony yeah it was :)

And to Cathy , though I was sceptical at first of your story , it is a quite interesting and amazing one, I did not mean to bring down the tenor of this thread. I hope you have a great 2014 and thanks for sharing your story.

Happy New Year, Cathy, and thanks for all that you brought to the old year!

J

And hopes for many happy new years to come. :smile:

I'm so glad you found this list in your search, and that you found two relatives (especially Marna) you hadn't known were still alive. And I'm glad for everything you helped us learn about your Uncle Frank and his family. I feel a warm pleasure in seeing Frank get some limelight. I thought he was a lovely person, and exactly the husband your Aunt Alice, a/k/a Ayn Rand, needed as her long-term mate.

Love and good wishes,

Ellen

Jonathan, your the one who started this post, if you wouldn't have started this, I would never have found this site. I am forever indebted to you :smile:

Tmj, Its ok that you were skeptical, I would have been to, and you weren't the only one :smile:

Ellen, you were the first one to believe who I was/am...I really appreciated that. Also you were the one that made me see things from my aunt and uncles point of view. You helped me think outside the box when it came to the parallel of my life and theirs at the time...you really kept me on track when my anger would get the best of me and I could only see my side and not theirs. thank you.

Brant, you are so smart and witty, you remind me of my father and uncle...I think if you all knew each other, you would have been friends. I will never forget you ever, I have my uncles print that you sent me where I can see it first thing in the morning and the last thing before I go to sleep at night...it is my absolute favorite possession and I will always cherish it. Thank you.