Frank's Niece!

Rep. Sean Duffy schools MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell on Obamacare

Wednesday, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM EDT

Yesterday on MSNBC, an ‘interview’ between Andrea Mitchell and Congressman Sean Duffy (R-WI) quickly devolved into a tense exchange over the effects of the government shutdown and the media coverage of Obamacare, which left Mitchell, who was clearly unable to follow Rep. Duffy’s logical argument, speechless.

I put this on facebook to :smile:

My humble thanks.

I am just getting started.

The more I read about the "Affordable" [which it is not], and the "Care," which it does not provide and it does "Act."

Frighteningly, how it acts is to:

1) remove 16 to 17% of the economy, directly in to the coffers of the Federal statist system;

2) segregate, by class, the American individual citizen into:

a) those that will die [due the 'death panel,' that this abomination encysts into the statutes of the no longer Constitutional Republic]; and

b) those that will "live," as serfs, or, slaves, to produce income to support the "system" that operates to sustain itself, and to supress the rest of the citizens, until they "graduate" to be absorbed;

I will expand on this later.

A...

Its scary!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reminder. Oh, that cave.. don't go down there...

You were supposed to release that male submissive that we co-dominated...now I might feel guilty!

So did I... nobody knows the true Secret of Adam but I do know this now, do not accept any Get-to-Know-Adam- weekends although they are truly billed as Unforgettable!

Trying to forget,

Carol

AWWWW :)

I did release him! Heard he emigrated to Germany and hope he is doing OK...

Phew...well, at least we know the bull whip marks will heal with time.

However, ...well...not sure about that branding iron you insisted on using...

I did release him! Heard he emigrated to Germany and hope he is doing OK...

Phew...well, at least we know the bull whip marks will heal with time.

However, ...well...not sure about that branding iron you insisted on using...

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

1. Shutdown Metaphysics]

With the shutdown preventing them from maintaining sites on the National Mall in Washington, DC, the federal government is turning to volunteers to help.

No, wait, they're chasing the volunteers away.

The Washington Post reports:

"[Chris] Cox, 45, a chain-saw sculptor from Mount Pleasant, S.C., grabbed the attention of shutdown-weary Washington on Wednesday when he showed up with all his gear and was reportedly spotted mowing the lawn at the Lincoln Memorial.

"He said the police chased him away, but it was too late. He said he had already been tidying up around the memorial and the Reflecting Pool for the past few days, because nobody else is.

"He drew rapid media attention—social and conventional—as well as a crowd of amused foreign tourists as he stood on the plaza of the memorial Wednesday afternoon and declared his purpose.

"'I figured out that I could play a...valuable role as a janitor, if you will,' he said. 'So I started cleaning up the overflowing trash cans. I bought a blower and I've been blowing all of the trails, and today I cut the grass out here.'"

This exposes the ultimate callousness of the administration's Washington Monument strategy: they are so determined to create an artificial show of suffering that they would turn away volunteers to keep the monuments open, rather than recruit them.

For his part, Cox says he doesn't want to take a stand on the political issues behind the shutdown, but he offers what is, implicitly, a whole political manifesto of its own.

"'The building behind me serves as a moral compass, not only for our country but for the world. And over my dead body are we going to find trash pouring out of these trash cans,' he said. 'At the end of the day, we are the stewards of these buildings that are memorials.'

"'I want to encourage my friends and fellow Americans to go to their parks and show up with a trash bag and a rake,' he said."

The question this raises is: why not organize volunteers to care for the memorials on a permanent basis? In reading about Cox's one-man volunteer squad, I was reminded of a similar story that came out of Detroit a few months ago.

"Detroit's fiscal condition has become so dire that private citizens are stepping up to provide basic services, and some experts say the volunteers and entrepreneurs are the Motor City's best hope....

"Tom Nardone is the leader of 'The Mower Gang,' a growing group of volunteers who cut the grass at city parks. The business consultant and former analyst with Ford Motor Co. mounted his riding lawnmower and went to work when the cash-strapped city was on the brink of shutting down parks because there was no room in the budget for upkeep....

"Working alone, Nardone started out just mowing under swing sets. But an army of inspired volunteers has joined the Mower Gang, allowing it to take on bigger and bigger projects, including a bicycle track that had been shut down and neglected since the 1980s. The Mower Gang, which has received equipment donations from Husqvarna, now maintains 15 city parks, helping to reclaim recreation space for kids and grownups alike....

"Ted O'Neil, spokesman for the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy, said it remains to be seen if volunteers and entrepreneurs can save Detroit, but they've already shown that what his organization refers to as 'civil society' can succeed where government fails."

For a city that is a massive object lesson in the failure of big government, the work of these volunteers is an opportunity to learn about the power of individual initiative.

All of this reminds me of the analysis offered nearly two centuries ago by Alexis de Tocqueville.

He wrote that what defined the unique American attitude, and what made our experiment in self-government work, was precisely this willingness of private citizens to spontaneously band together to solve a problem, often before it could even come to the notice of government.

He contrasted this to France, where more than a century of centralization and increasing government power had conditioned citizens to view every problem as the responsibility of some anonymous, far-off authority.

That is precisely the mentality behind the government shutdown, and that's why this story is important.

The point here isn't that we should privatize the U.S. Park Service and turn it into a volunteer corps funding by private donations.

It's not a bad idea, but it's a very, very small portion of government, compared to the trillions wasted on middle-class welfare.

This story is important for a wider reason: what it shows about the metaphysics of the shutdown, about big government advocates' basic view of reality and of the possibilities of human action.

The basic premise of the shutdown in places like national parks and public monuments is that everything must be done by the state—and, to invoke an ominous reference, that there can be nothing outside the state.

NEED YOU EXPLAIN ANY MORE?????

1. Shutdown Metaphysics]

With the shutdown preventing them from maintaining sites on the National Mall in Washington, DC, the federal government is turning to volunteers to help.

No, wait, they're chasing the volunteers away.

The Washington Post reports:

"[Chris] Cox, 45, a chain-saw sculptor from Mount Pleasant, S.C., grabbed the attention of shutdown-weary Washington on Wednesday when he showed up with all his gear and was reportedly spotted mowing the lawn at the Lincoln Memorial.

"He said the police chased him away, but it was too late. He said he had already been tidying up around the memorial and the Reflecting Pool for the past few days, because nobody else is.

"He drew rapid media attention—social and conventional—as well as a crowd of amused foreign tourists as he stood on the plaza of the memorial Wednesday afternoon and declared his purpose.

"'I figured out that I could play a...valuable role as a janitor, if you will,' he said. 'So I started cleaning up the overflowing trash cans. I bought a blower and I've been blowing all of the trails, and today I cut the grass out here.'"

This exposes the ultimate callousness of the administration's Washington Monument strategy: they are so determined to create an artificial show of suffering that they would turn away volunteers to keep the monuments open, rather than recruit them.

For his part, Cox says he doesn't want to take a stand on the political issues behind the shutdown, but he offers what is, implicitly, a whole political manifesto of its own.

"'The building behind me serves as a moral compass, not only for our country but for the world. And over my dead body are we going to find trash pouring out of these trash cans,' he said. 'At the end of the day, we are the stewards of these buildings that are memorials.'

"'I want to encourage my friends and fellow Americans to go to their parks and show up with a trash bag and a rake,' he said."

The question this raises is: why not organize volunteers to care for the memorials on a permanent basis? In reading about Cox's one-man volunteer squad, I was reminded of a similar story that came out of Detroit a few months ago.

"Detroit's fiscal condition has become so dire that private citizens are stepping up to provide basic services, and some experts say the volunteers and entrepreneurs are the Motor City's best hope....

"Tom Nardone is the leader of 'The Mower Gang,' a growing group of volunteers who cut the grass at city parks. The business consultant and former analyst with Ford Motor Co. mounted his riding lawnmower and went to work when the cash-strapped city was on the brink of shutting down parks because there was no room in the budget for upkeep....

"Working alone, Nardone started out just mowing under swing sets. But an army of inspired volunteers has joined the Mower Gang, allowing it to take on bigger and bigger projects, including a bicycle track that had been shut down and neglected since the 1980s. The Mower Gang, which has received equipment donations from Husqvarna, now maintains 15 city parks, helping to reclaim recreation space for kids and grownups alike....

"Ted O'Neil, spokesman for the Michigan-based Mackinac Center for Public Policy, said it remains to be seen if volunteers and entrepreneurs can save Detroit, but they've already shown that what his organization refers to as 'civil society' can succeed where government fails."

For a city that is a massive object lesson in the failure of big government, the work of these volunteers is an opportunity to learn about the power of individual initiative.

All of this reminds me of the analysis offered nearly two centuries ago by Alexis de Tocqueville.

He wrote that what defined the unique American attitude, and what made our experiment in self-government work, was precisely this willingness of private citizens to spontaneously band together to solve a problem, often before it could even come to the notice of government.

He contrasted this to France, where more than a century of centralization and increasing government power had conditioned citizens to view every problem as the responsibility of some anonymous, far-off authority.

That is precisely the mentality behind the government shutdown, and that's why this story is important.

The point here isn't that we should privatize the U.S. Park Service and turn it into a volunteer corps funding by private donations.

It's not a bad idea, but it's a very, very small portion of government, compared to the trillions wasted on middle-class welfare.

This story is important for a wider reason: what it shows about the metaphysics of the shutdown, about big government advocates' basic view of reality and of the possibilities of human action.

The basic premise of the shutdown in places like national parks and public monuments is that everything must be done by the state—and, to invoke an ominous reference, that there can be nothing outside the state.

NEED YOU EXPLAIN ANY MORE?????

So we return to...We the people of the United States....awesome story! I'm going to post it on facebook :)

Cathy, I'm not sure anyone has linked this one about your uncle and aunt.

Thank you so much Stephen, I had seen this picture of my uncle before, he looks so much like my father! I have never read this, I loved it. I have a son like Uncle Frank, He was working concrete and on a job site, when across the street a tree company was trimming trees. While my son poured concrete, he was watching them trim the trees and thought of how he could do it his way and better. He walked off the job site and went over to the operator and asked him if he would let him work for free the rest of the day to let him try his hand at trimming the trees. He was hire within the hour. He worked for the tree service for a few years and then started his own successful tree company. I heard through the grapevine that he is the best :) that's the O'Connor in him :) when I read this link, I remembered one time that Aunt Alice said that she believed that there wasn't anything Frank couldn't do. Sometimes I feel what has been written about Uncle Frank, that he just existed in Ayn Rand's world, like he didn't understand it or partake in it. But from the beginning he was the only one that understood her. I love hearing how close they were, thank you so much for showing me this. ~Cathy~

Cathy, I don't think anyone doubted their closeness.

I know Ginny...maybe I did because of that affair. When I heard about it when I was young, I thought it was a short time...like a few weeks. When I came on here, I found out it went on for a long time . Its almost like growing up with your parents together, then when your twenty one they get a divorce, so you question if they ever loved each other. Then you think and try to hold on to every memory where it seems they did love each other. Deep down I know they did, they would sometimes finish each other sentences...well she did :) ~Cathy~

• 2 weeks later...

Cathy,

I don't know if you've read this letter by Ayn Rand. It was sold on Ebay for about $5000 two years ago. It is a very clear explanation of Ayn's view on the destructiveness of altruism and also explains clearly that she had no animosity towards Christians, on the contrary, she respected Christianity for it's emphasis on the importance of individuals seeking their own salvation as the origin of individualism. I found this on RoR here.

Cathy,

I don't know if you've read this letter by Ayn Rand. It was sold on Ebay for about $5000 two years ago. It is a very clear explanation of Ayn's view on the destructiveness of altruism and also explains clearly that she had no animosity towards Christians, on the contrary, she respected Christianity for it's emphasis on the importance of individuals seeking their own salvation as the origin of individualism. I found this on RoR here.

Thx Mikee! This letter was fascinating! She really thought about what she was going to write to him. I think she respected peoples choice in their beliefs. At least in America you have that freedom...for the time being anyway. And wow, really...$5,000 just because she wrote it? Marna has letters from her to, but I know she wouldn't put them on ebay lol. To bad I didn't get none of my father's things, I know he had letters to, but they would have been from both of them in a single letter. I know my father had postcards back in the late 20's that both of them and some solely from Aunt Alice had sent my grandfather...and the only reason my father had those is because he was the last one still living at my grandfathers when he died...don't know what happen to those :( I do love reading these things! Thx again Mikee ~Cathy~

Cathy,

Thx Mikee! This letter was fascinating! She really thought about what she was going to write to him. I think she respected peoples choice in their beliefs. At least in America you have that freedom...for the time being anyway. And wow, really...$5,000 just because she wrote it? Marna has letters from her to, but I know she wouldn't put them on ebay lol. To bad I didn't get none of my father's things, I know he had letters to, but they would have been from both of them in a single letter. I know my father had postcards back in the late 20's that both of them and some solely from Aunt Alice had sent my grandfather...and the only reason my father had those is because he was the last one still living at my grandfathers when he died...don't know what happen to those :sad: I do love reading these things! Thx again Mikee ~Cathy~

Keep them in a safe place. Have each photostated and kept elsewhere.

--Brant

Cathy,

Thx Mikee! This letter was fascinating! She really thought about what she was going to write to him. I think she respected peoples choice in their beliefs. At least in America you have that freedom...for the time being anyway. And wow, really...$5,000 just because she wrote it? Marna has letters from her to, but I know she wouldn't put them on ebay lol. To bad I didn't get none of my father's things, I know he had letters to, but they would have been from both of them in a single letter. I know my father had postcards back in the late 20's that both of them and some solely from Aunt Alice had sent my grandfather...and the only reason my father had those is because he was the last one still living at my grandfathers when he died...don't know what happen to those :sad: I do love reading these things! Thx again Mikee ~Cathy~

--Brant

And in an decent "fire proof" box. I might consider a small Community Bank's Safe Deposit box, depending on cost.

Cathy,

--Brant

And in an decent "fire proof" box. I might consider a small Community Bank's Safe Deposit box, depending on cost.

I will tell Marna that. The post cards and letters we received growing up, I am sure my step mother took...and she didn't know what their value was ...except sentimental value to me and my sister...I am sure she throw them out. Had to save Conny from a Ayn Rand web site today. She accidently came on to one...and all the skeptic's where there with their claws out lol. She held up well...but she needs to be here among friends. At least I know she is coming around. The best part of it all is someone connected me to Sunny Arbarnell (sp?) and I talked with her. Does anyone remember her? I remember my aunts taking about her...nicely of course. She was a friend of my aunt and uncles. ~Cathy~