Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

Here is a beautiful sports story from the Stanley Cup winners, the Boston Bruins...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Bruins-surprise-serviceman-8217-s-parent?urn=nhl-wp17324

Check out the 6' 9" Czech defensman that the Bruins have! Zdeno Chara and he is a mere 255 lbs of muscle moving at lighting speed on two thin blades!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1700

Damn...you need a 357 magnum to take that beast down!

Adam

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I love it too. Incidentally is is pronounced Bufflin which further connotes bumbling and baffled, which he obviously was on that boat and often is in the penalty box. "Huh? What am I doin in here..I didn't do nothin..." [Daunce]

And the way it's spelled, connotes "befuddled"...in fact, I think I'm going to start saying someone is befuglien when I mean they are befuddled.

The 'fug' root is also nice. Like if someone is "all fugged up", to put it delicately.

It's just cherry on the cake if this particular Hockey player is not the sharpest knife in the toolkit. I also wonder what the nationality of a name like Byfuglien might be. I don't recognize any Latin, French, or Anglic roots.

I also wonder what the nationality of a name like Byfuglien might be. I don't recognize any Latin, French, or Anglic roots.

Byfuglien was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Cheryl Byfuglien and father Ricky Spencer. His mother is of Norwegian descent, and his father is African American.

Which means that he meets the Democratic criteria to run for and become President...

I also wonder what the nationality of a name like Byfuglien might be. I don't recognize any Latin, French, or Anglic roots.

Byfuglien was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Cheryl Byfuglien and father Ricky Spencer. His mother is of Norwegian descent, and his father is African American.

Which means that he meets the Democratic criteria to run for and become President...

But everybody is gonna be pretty sure that he inhaled.

Wrong President Carol...the only thing he inhaled was Monica and the cigar scene that they conducted.

The half white half black man is, ... well, ... you know, that half Nigerian guy...

empty.gifSTLastBattle.jpg

Wrong President Carol...the only thing he inhaled was Monica and the cigar scene that they conducted.

The half white half black man is, ... well, ... you know, that half Nigerian guy...

empty.gifSTLastBattle.jpg

Or as he's now known in some bitter African American circles, the half white guy.

Well, it is November and the playoffs might never approach closer for TO, so it behooves the Nation to make maple syrup while the sap is running and the Leafs are at the top of the tree.

The Jets are back. No words. Mark Chipman will someday join Tommy Douglas as an alltime Canadian hero.

Does anybody else read Down Goes Bown (Sean McIndoe)? He is brilliant. I especially like his fantasy scenes, like when Shanahan was interviewing for the Discipline job, or when Bettman held the Halloween party inviting all the NHL players. He usually features Christ Pronger -- outside the office door, revving up a chainsaw, or out in the parking lot with a crowbar.

I would like to provide links but you know my disability, so I'll probably just plagiarize him.

Heart with the Habs and the Saint John Seadogs,

CJ

This disability song is starting to sound quite "tinny" to my ear...posting this link took about five (5) mouse clicks, Ma'am...

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp10006

So sorry about your tin ear. But don't give up, you are not alone (my therapy includes Louder Singing techniques which compensate for never being on key,) Anyway you do not need perfect pitch to experience the joy of music.

> I love it too. Incidentally is is pronounced Bufflin which further connotes bumbling and baffled, which he obviously was on that boat and often is in the penalty box. "Huh? What am I doin in here..I didn't do nothin..." [Daunce]

And the way it's spelled, connotes "befuddled"...in fact, I think I'm going to start saying someone is befuglien when I mean they are befuddled.

The 'fug' root is also nice. Like if someone is "all fugged up", to put it delicately.

It's just cherry on the cake if this particular Hockey player is not the sharpest knife in the toolkit. I also wonder what the nationality of a name like Byfuglien might be. I don't recognize any Latin, French, or Anglic roots.

Phil, take a bow. Your cake comment is worthy of Grapes himself.

Yes, Byfuglien continues to bedazzle me too. I would never have guessed Norwegian in a million years. I salute his mother for her strong attachment to her heritage. Maybe she and Dustin's father were never married. But even so, if I had been in her snowshoes, I would have named my baby (and myself) Spencer in an Oslo minute. I never changed my name legally when I got married, mainly because though everybody spells Stuart wrong on first try, they always spell Lynam wrong interminably and never can pronounce it.

I am pretty good at name origins due to my job but there are always stumpers. In those cases I usually wild-guess Turkish.

Mailer had to be delicate throughout the whole fugging text of Naked and the Dead.. I just remembered that, I had fuggoten about it.

Here is a beautiful sports story from the Stanley Cup winners, the Boston Bruins...

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp17324

I just watched it. I have already used up my tears quota for the rest of the week. Please don't say anything mean to me for a while, everybody. I've never heard that Adele song and will try to avoid hearing it

The Bruins are true champions.

I hate to continue this way, but I have to. Bruins, act like champions you are. Lucic is at it again.The next time he attacks someone in the head, that person, unlike the brave and beautiful Lt. Jacobs so far, might not survive. Stop defending and enabling him. Shanahan, do your job. Stop him, stop the head attacks now.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

There is a ridiculous rumour floating around that the "Minnesota Wild" are in first place. Hilarious. We know there is some sort of hockey team there (they do have winter, after all), but anyone who knows anything about Minnesota knows that the last thing they would call anything is "Wild."

The name does kind of suck. I liked it better when we were the North Stars. Any suggestions for a more appropriate name?

J

Btw, I'm taking my nephew to the game this weekend. I don't know why he wanted to see Wild vs Islanders, but that's the game he chose.

The name does kind of suck. I liked it better when we were the North Stars. Any suggestions for a more appropriate name?

J

Btw, I'm taking my nephew to the game this weekend. I don't know why he wanted to see Wild vs Islanders, but that's the game he chose.

I thought North Stars was better too, but the Wilder connection is great (see other thread). But Wild does connote wildlife, like those rats the Panthers fans threw on the ice, or some unorthodoxy that is not really in keeping with the non-concussion causing aspects of hockey, of which there are some.

The Islanders are so pathetic, maybe your nephew just wants to be sure of seeing the home team win, Hoping he is not a secret bully.

J

I thought North Stars was better too, but the Wilder connection is great (see other thread). But Wild does connote wildlife, like those rats the Panthers fans threw on the ice, or some unorthodoxy that is not really in keeping with the non-concussion causing aspects of hockey, of which there are some.

The Islanders are so pathetic, maybe your nephew just wants to be sure of seeing the home team win, Hoping he is not a secret bully.

Yes! Get a Jersey made with Rand and Rose brandishing hockey sticks. I'm sure Adam can rush you a box of Atlas Shruggeds to hand out.

"Hand out"? No. There's no "handing out" in hockey. Rather, Atlas Shruggeds are the perfect size and weight to bean Islanders with from the stands.

J

Yes! Get a Jersey made with Rand and Rose brandishing hockey sticks. I'm sure Adam can rush you a box of Atlas Shruggeds to hand out.

"Hand out"? No. There's no "handing out" in hockey. Rather, Atlas Shruggeds are the perfect size and weight to bean Islanders with from the stands.

J

How quickly we forget...the Dynasty - Bosse Potvin Nystrum...

1980 New York Islanders (CC) Al Arbour Philadelphia Flyers (CC) Pat Quinn 4–2 Bob Nystrom (7:11, OT) 1981 New York Islanders (CC) Al Arbour Minnesota North Stars (PW) Glen Sonmor 4–1 Wayne Merrick (5:37, first) 1982 New York Islanders (PW) Al Arbour Vancouver Canucks (CC) Roger Neilson 4–0 Mike Bossy (5:00, second) 1983 New York Islanders (PW) Al Arbour Edmonton Oilers (CC) Glen Sather 4–0 Mike Bossy (12:39, first)

I hadn't been following this thread, but I caught this little reference and it made me think of a song.

http://www.neilrogers.com/sounds/bonr1999/11.mp3

It's rather dated, but imagine how funny it was in 1998.

J

lol. makes me think of a favourite cummings:

plato told him

he didn't believe it

(jesus told him; he wouldn't believe it)

lao tzu told him and general

)yes mam) sherman;

and even (believe it or

not) you

told him: i told him; we told

him

(he didn't believe it, no

sir) it took a niponnized bit of

the old sixth

avenue

el; in the top of his

head; to tell

him

You know, maybe rubberbanding Atlas Shruggeds to my mom's old VCR tapes of Little House would be even better for beaning Islanders.

J

Guess we shelve that initiation of force stuff for hockey games...

I hadn't been following this thread, but I caught this little reference and it made me think of a song.

http://www.neilrogers.com/sounds/bonr1999/11.mp3

It's rather dated, but imagine how funny it was in 1998.

Dennis:

That is hilarious. Who performed it? The song I mean.

Adam