Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

GO BOSTON!

180px-Bobby_Orr.jpg

The Ghost of Orr will see us through!

Oh, oh, I fear it might. I revere Orr so much (not just for his hockey, he's just a mensch).

There is a lot of fun commentary up here about the unconscionable length of time to wait now for the final, even though the teams are decided. They have a point, it is unconscionable, but what the sportswriters are really grousing about is, now they have to turn out a hockey story every single day for a whole week, when absolutely nothing is going on in hockey.They'll have to actually do interviews and think up angles and check facts themselves and work fairly hard, they can't coast, because the readers are bored waiting and will expect good articles to wile away the time. I feel for them. But they knew what they were getting into, this is Canada. Every lead story, every day until the last buzzer sounds on the final game, has to be about It.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO BOSTON!

180px-Bobby_Orr.jpg

The Ghost of Orr will see us through!

Adam, Bobby is not a Ghost yet, he's very alive! He isn't even sick! Quick, throw some salt over your left shoulder or something!

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol:

That was an inept description of Bobby's current life status. I intended to mean his playing "ghost," as the best scoring "offensive" defense-man in the game's history.

That will be the way we defeat your Canuckians in Lord Stanley's final conflict.

Interesting statement about the salt.

On page 233 in the Heller biography, which I am currently reading, and highly recommend to your perceptive mind, the following anecdote is related by Ruth Beebe Hill. She was an early Fountainhead fan, who, together with her husband, a medical doctor who conducted Cancer research at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in the late 1940's, became Frank and Ayn's close friends.

Ruth and her husband were surprised one night at a restaurant, when "... Rand spilled salt on a ...table..." and then followed the spill by "... throwing a pinch over her left shoulder, an ancient rite to blind the devil."

So much for pure rationality!

Adam

Carol:

That was an inept description of Bobby's current life status. I intended to mean his playing "ghost," as the best scoring "offensive" defense-man in the game's history.

That will be the way we defeat your Canuckians in Lord Stanley's final conflict.

On page 233 in the Heller biography, which I am currently reading, and highly recommend to your perceptive mind, the following anecdote is related by Ruth Beebe Hill. She was an early Fountainhead fan, who, together with her husband, a medical doctor who conducted Cancer research at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in the late 1940's, became Frank and Ayn's close friends.

Ruth and her husband were surprised one night at a restaurant, when "... Rand spilled salt on a ...table..." and then followed the spill by "... throwing a pinch over her left shoulder, an ancient rite to blind the devil."

Adam

Great anecdote. Fascinating, I thought (or assumed) that the salt thing was a Anglo-Saxon or Celtic (I had some very, very superstitious relatives). Didn't know it was in Russia too.

I better go check on Bobby, just in case.

Carol:

Adam

Great anecdote. Fascinating, I thought (or assumed) that the salt thing was a Anglo-Saxon or Celtic (I had some very, very superstitious relatives). Didn't know it was in Russia too.

I better go check on Bobby, just in case.

Well here it is : Bos vs Vanc !

Should be a great series but I find it hard to believe that Boston has much of a chance. Figure they win 1 game maybe but very surprised if they win 2 games.

GREEN POWER IS THE FUTURE!!!!

ASK THE CURRENT OCCUPANT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!

GREEN POWER IS THE FUTURE!!!!

ASK THE CURRENT OCCUPANT OF THE WHITE HOUSE!

Yes, let's ask him. He cannot predict the future of a sports championship series, as he has proven in front of the entire continent.

Bruins are toast. It's OOOUUURRR GAME!!!!!

Back to the hard lot of sports journalists, a live Bobby Orr is a godsend to the American broadcasters who must now strive nobly to translate hockey to the Americans they hope will be watching, and in some cases to understand it themselves. I think we'll see him interviewed and talked about more than when he was playing.

At least that will refute the rumour started on an obscure website, that he was dead!

Accepting congrats again. The Saint John Sea Dogs have won the Memorial Cup, which at age 102 is older than the Stanley Cup. In junior hockey terms it is the equivalent of the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series this year, for the first time...ever.

After a century the Atlantic Region has won the championship, so it now is truly a national award. Icing on my personal cake, Saint John is a few kilometres from my hometown in the gallant province of New Brunswick.

The day before the final game, one of the star Sea Dogs learned that he had been drafted by the senior league. Not to the Canucks or Redwings in the NHL though.

The Russian senior league.

As yet untrained in Meathead Media Relations, the unfortunate lad spoke to the press.

"I don't want to go there, that's for sure," he said.

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol:

Your team is -1.5 goals in the opening game against Boston. So you have to spot me 1.5 goals in our "bet" because I am taking the "Merican" team! lol.

So essentially, you have to win by two (2) goals in the opening game to win the "wager."

Adam

Carol:

Your team is -1.5 goals in the opening game against Boston. So you have to spot me 1.5 goals in our "bet" because I am taking the "Merican" team! lol.

So essentially, you have to win by two (2) goals in the opening game to win the "wager."

Adam

Uh, OK. Sure. You do know that if I should lose this bet,I would absolutely pay up, unless I didn't happen to have any money eh, right?

Carol:

Adam

Uh, OK. Sure. You do know that if I should lose this bet,I would absolutely pay up, unless I didn't happen to have any money eh, right?

Of course. I am biting my tongue to stay respectful. You know the wages of sin...oops

Edited by Selene

Someone resuscitate Carol!

1- 0 Canucks! Congrats, but I won the bet!

Adam

Someone resuscitate Carol!

1- 0 Canucks! Congrats, but I won the bet!

Adam

I have come to but will require heavy medication until the end of the series. First the Seadogs take the oldest, hardest-to-win prize in hockey in an historic first. Next the Jets are returning after fifteen years of exile. Now Canucks are one up in the final. I am living the Canadian Dream, Maritime division.

Btw don't you love the Vancouver national anthem singer? He says he's famous as a singer for not singing. I like his wearing the tux in the tradition of the immortal Roger Doucet.

Watching the players during the anthems always makes me think of the "let loose the dogs of war" speech from Henry V(Im sure this observation has been made many times but I'll make it again). I see Brian Blessed from the Branagh movie in the lineup, lunging forward and baring his teeth.

I'm a little worried about wss. I don't think he's a particular hockey fan, but he lives in Vancouver. He might be tied to a chair in front of a TSN screen somewhere, forbidden to say anything except "WOO-HOO,

"NOOOOOOOOO" "YESSSSS" and "LUUUUUUUUU".

I'm a little worried about wss. I don't think he's a particular hockey fan, but he lives in Vancouver. He might be tied to a chair in front of a TSN screen somewhere, forbidden to say anything except "WOO-HOO,

Carol:

Thought you figured this out by now....William is a man of reason and peace.

ERGO, since as we all know from Ayn and Aristotle the "A" and "A" boys...it is "either-or" and this is hockey:

th_hockey_fight.jpg

chipmunk_hockey.jpg?t=1241990219

th_hockeyfight.jpg th_fight1.jpg th_untitled.jpg

well you know what I mean...

The DEFENSE never rests...hit, hit, hit, board em, check em into the cheap seats...

Adam

Carol:

Thought you figured this out by now....William is a man of reason and peace.

ERGO, since as we all know from Ayn and Aristotle the "A" and "A" boys...it is "either-or" and this is hockey:

th_hockey_fight.jpg

chipmunk_hockey.jpg?t=1241990219

th_hockeyfight.jpg th_fight1.jpg th_untitled.jpg

well you know what I mean...

The DEFENSE never rests...hit, hit, hit, board em, check em into the cheap seats...

Adam

Thanks for the fun montage. How on earth did you dig up the photos of my pets, Maurice and Paul?

What an opener, eh. How Kesler stayed onside in that last play Ill never know.

Just as games, the ones I've seen so far have been the best post-season ones I remember seeing. If the final keeps up this level, this year could go down as one of the best playoffs ever, whoever wins.

Don't know if you got the same coverage I did - Lucic (Boston) is from Vancouver and his dad said on CBC that though a lifelong Canuck fan, he is naturally hoping for his son's team this time.

"I know the Cup's coming to Vancouver", he said. "I just want it to come right here, to my house."

Carol:

I actually missed most of the first period. Business called, but the game was one of the best I have seen. We get the NBC feed and I did not focus much on the chatter from the commentators last night. Sometimes they act as a distraction and I will mute the volume to concentrate on the game itself, as if I were at the rink. Unfortunately that kills the crowd noise. A really great way to watch any event on TV is to listen to it on the radio while you watch the visual feed. Unfortunately, one medium is usually ahead of the other which kind screws up the concept! lol.

The check along the boards that triggered the first skirmish was hard, tough and clean and the way the game should be played. I thought the "high stick" call was, at best, weak, but I also understood that the refs needed to keep control of the game early and they did.

When that shot hit the cross bar in the Boston goal and they survived the several blank shots and the breakaway, I had OT in mind, which of course would make my bet an automatic win.

When they scored with :14 left in the game, I had the open net nightmare goal in the last ten seconds dream which almost came through. It missed by about a foot...lol.

And yes, that last rush was as close as it gets. I am glad that the game was not decided on a really bad call or a bad penalty.

Adam

Carol:

I actually missed most of the first period. Business called, but the game was one of the best I have seen. We get the NBC feed and I did not focus much on the chatter from the commentators last night. Sometimes they act as a distraction and I will mute the volume to concentrate on the game itself, as if I were at the rink. Unfortunately that kills the crowd noise. A really great way to watch any event on TV is to listen to it on the radio while you watch the visual feed. Unfortunately, one medium is usually ahead of the other which kind screws up the concept! lol.

The check along the boards that triggered the first skirmish was hard, tough and clean and the way the game should be played. I thought the "high stick" call was, at best, weak, but I also understood that the refs needed to keep control of the game early and they did.

When that shot hit the cross bar in the Boston goal and they survived the several blank shots and the breakaway, I had OT in mind, which of course would make my bet an automatic win.

When they scored with :14 left in the game, I had the open net nightmare goal in the last ten seconds dream which almost came through. It missed by about a foot...lol.

And yes, that last rush was as close as it gets. I am glad that the game was not decided on a really bad call or a bad penalty.

Adam

So am I. Everybody is stepping up their game including the refs.

The radio-TV combination was a long tradition in our house. My husband hated one of the TV commentators, considered him an idiot, fool, know-nothing etc) so refused to listen to him. This was not for hockey (there is no such thing as a bad hockey commentator in Canada) but for soccer and football. Anyway, the radio was part of a heavy stereo combo in the living room, the TV in the den adjacent. The distance between them made the noise level in the living room painful. The kids and I used to run across it like soldiers across No-Mans-Land. Eddie of course never stirred from the couch till the last whistle sounded, so he never suffered.

PDS gets some(anticipatory) congrats too.Michigander Ryan Kesler's gamewinning play brought him closer to winning the Conn Smythe trophy , he would be only the second American to do so. But he has said recently that he "almost feels Canadian" so maybe he should be rescued and deprogrammed before it's too late.

Carol:

Vancouver 1-0 Lord Stanley's Cup series.

OK - game 2 and the Canucks are favored again by a goal and a half.

Which, I will, of course take because I am playing with the house's money after game one!

Adam

Orr's not yet ghost had better show up tonight!

Was that Bobby I saw in the crowd at the end of the first period?

You know when it was BOSTON 2 and Vancouver 1?

Gloating while I have the chance...

Edited by Selene

Well Carol:

You guys held your serve. Congrats to Vancouver.

I thought we had this one. Thank heaven for that 1/2 goal.

You are 2-0 and I have 2 winning bets to play with.

Adam