Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

Political courage from a hockey player! Boston Goalie Tim Thomas, for "political reasons" refused to appear at the White House with his team mates to meet O'biwan:

There was a notable absence during a
White House
reception this afternoon for the Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins: star goalie Tim Thomas.
Thomas refused the invite for "political reasons," Sports Illustrated
reports
Nearly every other member of the Bruins was at the ceremony, where
President Obama
congratulated tActuahe team on its victory. Thomas is a
staunch conservative
and is expected to explain his snub of the president on his Facebook page this evening.
"Whatever he will say is not reflective of our organization's views or beliefs," Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli told SI.com.

http://www.politico....ama-111928.html

There is no courage involved here. What did he risk? Hurting the feelings of people he doesn't care about anyway? Maybe getting booed by a few people at a Capitals Game?

Seizing the occasion of being invited, as part of a team, to a ceremonial thank-you by the President, whoever he is, to grandstand your own political views is opportunism, not courage. It's a slap in the face to his teammates who might want to celebrate their victory as a team in this way, to the Bruins organization and to the fans. It might cost him a little ill-will but that's all.

Courage within a sports organization, to me, is something like calling the police when a powerful coach is raping children.

Thomas is a classless jerk, and I would think the same of a Canadian player who refused to meet Harper (whose policies I oppose and fear) in the same situation.

He's proved that there's no "I" in team but there sure is one in Tim.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Political courage from a hockey player! Boston Goalie Tim Thomas, for "political reasons" refused to appear at the White House with his team mates to meet O'biwan:

There was a notable absence during a
White House
reception this afternoon for the Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins: star goalie Tim Thomas.
Thomas refused the invite for "political reasons," Sports Illustrated
reports
Nearly every other member of the Bruins was at the ceremony, where
President Obama
congratulated tActuahe team on its victory. Thomas is a
staunch conservative
and is expected to explain his snub of the president on his Facebook page this evening.
"Whatever he will say is not reflective of our organization's views or beliefs," Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli told SI.com.

http://www.politico....ama-111928.html

There is no courage involved here. What did he risk? Hurting the feelings of people he doesn't care about anyway? Maybe getting booed by a few people at a Capitals Game?

Seizing the occasion of being invited, as part of a team, to a ceremonial thank-you by the President, whoever he is, to grandstand your own political views is opportunism, not courage. It's a slap in the face to his teammates who might want to celebrate their victory as a team in this way, to the Bruins organization and to the fans. It might cost him a little ill-will but that's all.

Courage within a sports organization, to me, is something like calling the police when a powerful coach is raping children.

Thomas is a classless jerk, and I would think the same of a Canadian player who refused to meet Harper (whose policies I oppose and fear) in the same situation.

He's proved that there's no "I" in team but there sure is one in Tim.

Carol:

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:07 PM EST

Tim Thomas and Other Athletes who Snubbed White House Invitations

By IBTimes Staff Reporter

The Boston Bruins were invited to the White House on Monday to celebrate their 2011 Stanley Cup win. One player however, refused to go. Goaltender Tim Thomas did not attend the event.

Thomas, who wears a helmet with the slogan "Don't Tread on Me," and is a big fan of Glenn Beck, according to the Boston Herald, said his decision not to attend was not about "politics or party," though he did take time to criticize President Obama and the government.

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," Thomas said on Facebook. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government."

And while on Boston columnist called the move "bratty," Tim Thomas is not the only athlete who refused an invitation to the White House.

In 1985, the Chicago Bears won the Super Bowl, but the Challenger Explosion a few days before they were supposed to visit the White House meant they never had an opportunity to celebrate their victory. Last September, President Obama invited the 1985 team to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their win. Hall of famer Dan Hampton, defensive tackle, refused to attend. And though he initially said that he didn't attend because players' wives and children were not invited, he later admitted that he's "not a fan of the guy in the White House."

Also in September, top NASCAR drivers were invited to the White House. Greg Biffle, Kurt Busch, Carl Edwards, Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart rejected the invitation, citing scheduling conflicts. Jimmie Johnson, the Sprint Cup winner, took offense to their snub, tweeting "Regardless of political views, when [the president of the United States] sends an invite and wants to honor you at the White House, you accept." He ended his tweet with the hashtag "respect."

President Clinton was snubbed also. In 1997 he invited Super Bowl champions Green Bay Packers to the White House, but tight end Mark Chmura refused the invitation, citing Clinton's scandal involving Monica Lewinsky. According to CBS News, Chmura was accused of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old babysitter four years later. Though he was found non-guilty, he admitted his behavior "wasn't something a married man should do."

===================================

I found folk's reactions to this position by Thomas intriguing.

I can see both sides to this one. If it was my team, I am pretty sure I would go and make my dissatisfaction cordially to the President when I met him.

However, I would still have to consider supporting my team mate who felt this strongly in his position to stay away.

Adam

I can see both sides to this one. If it was my team, I am pretty sure I would go and make my dissatisfaction cordially to the President when I met him.

Adam

I sincerely hope you would not do that. If you were invited as an individual athlete, fine. Use the invitation to the president's home for a purely ceremonial occasion, to "cordially express dissatisfaction." to him. Or strip off in front of the TV cameras and show your "Obiwan is Marxist tattoo., or whatever. But I repeat, as a team member and representative of a sports organization which pays you to play your game, I hope you would pursue your political activism on your own dime.

Adam

I sincerely hope you would not do that. If you were invited as an individual athlete, fine. Use the invitation to the president's home for a purely ceremonial occasion, to "cordially express dissatisfaction." to him.

First of all, I would not disrespect him, or his family, or his home. If I was able to speak with him off camera, off mike, truly privately and with his consent, I would, as a citizen be fully within my comfort zone to express my thoughts on our[his and my] country and the direction I perceive it is going.

If that opportunity did not present itself, I would be prepared to privately hand him my thoughts in writing.

Adam

Here is the real reason that Thomas stayed home...his girlfriend...

Melissa_Satta_15_2.jpg

we can see the star...where are the stripes?

Adam

I sincerely hope you would not do that. If you were invited as an individual athlete, fine. Use the invitation to the president's home for a purely ceremonial occasion, to "cordially express dissatisfaction." to him.

First of all, I would not disrespect him, or his family, or his home. If I was able to speak with him off camera, off mike, truly privately and with his consent, I would, as a citizen be fully within my comfort zone to express my thoughts on our[his and my] country and the direction I perceive it is going.

If that opportunity did not present itself, I would be prepared to privately hand him my thoughts in writing.

Adam

I believe you would. Along with a copy of Atlas.

I believe you would. Along with a copy of Atlas.

But of course, I would probably carry Atlas into the White House for the event.

"Mr. Gaede, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of hockey? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

"But I don't think of hockey.

"What did you want to say to me?"

"Nothing."

Carol walked away, her steps creaking on the gravel in the silence, sharp and even, like the cracks of an engine's pistons.

Gaede stood alone on the empty driveway, dribbling his basketball.

"Mr. Gaede, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of hockey? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

"Nothing."

Carol walked away, her steps creaking on the gravel in the silence, sharp and even, like the cracks of an engine's pistons.

Gaede shoots -- he scooores!

"Nothing."

Very nice...you are one funny dude when you are completely droll!

(I was going to write it as drool, but that did not work lol)

Why do basketball players make poor lovers?

"Nothing."

Very nice...you are one funny dude when you are completely droll!

(I was going to write it as drool, but that did not work lol)

He'll leave the drooling to you Mr Centrefold. He'll stick to dribbling.

Carol:

She gets part of the answer to the joke...

They make bad lovers because they dribble before they shoot!

Carol:

But hockey players spend three hours hooking, holding, high-sticking and spearing without ever scoring.!

Carol:

But hockey players spend three hours hooking, holding, high-sticking and spearing without ever scoring.!

Some of them get so frustrated they try to interfere with the goaltender.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody cares what I think, but I will tell you what I think anyway, because who else would listen to me anyway. Where was I ? O yes, there is a serious problem among young peoplel

My own son has said that he is through with the Leafs, he has given them 25 years of his life and they have given him nothing but heartbreak and despair and he will not watch them anymore or even tallk tabout them. However he already has his plans set for the Leafs outdoor game next year.(Third cousin Norman the Ann Arbourmotel owner you're the best!)

The boy needs to be disciplined...want to borrow my single tail whip and my .45 with the hollow point bullets?

gun2.gif

naughty_panda.gif

Kindly contain your private pleasures on your own private property, you kinko!

This is hockey we talk about , as ever was and ever shall be , ah,men. amen.

Maybe the guys can luck into a lodging like the Superbowl auction winners. They got to stay at a convent with nuns and the nuns picked them up and drove them everywhere, and their cooking was great. They had good seats at the game and the nuns decorated their rooms with team logos and who knows what else went on. I will tell Stu to look into it, it sounds like a good deal, and his father was a Catholic, maybe he could get a discount.

And you accuse me of kink!

Even I do not go near religious scening!

• 2 weeks later...

Lower than this we cannot go. The city of Toronto is currently saddled with a mayor who has but half a brain, and that halfbrain is bent upon destroying the city for the betterment of its more deserving suburbs.

Our hockey team is enthrall to the best friend of its GM, neither or whom have the faintest clue how to win hockey games.

My son has given up on the Leafs, he will not hear the name or watch them or read about them. He says he gave them 25 years of his life to them and they gave back but gall and wormwood (paraphrase). He did not put his new baby in a leafs Jersey, even. He is very bitter.He is like me, slow to anger, long to hold a grudge.

Go Jets . Go Flames.