The 2020 Presidential Election Tournament

This clip should be set to Journey's "Don't Stop (Believin')".
Because we need to be fighting back with him as hard as he is fighting for us.

“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists.. it is real.. it is possible.. it's yours.”

― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

The Paths to the Nomination Part 1: This Time Is Different January 18, 2016 by Robert Tracinski . . . . Trump's strategy, by contrast, has a major subtractive element. He has pandered so hard to one particular kind of voter that they have given him their fanatical devotion . . . .  The harder you appeal to this one group, the more you risk alienating other groups. Pander to the hard-core anti- immigrationists and you lose the Hispanic vote. Pander to the wild-eyed populists and you lose the sober moderates . . . . end quote

Peter,

This is one of the problems I have with Tracinski.

He only sees political success in terms of pandering unless it happens according to his own form of Objectivism added to whatever he has picked up from the conservative never Trumpers along the way.

The concept that President Trump does not pander, but instead, appeals to universal human values does not enter his head, thus does not come out of his pen.

His dogma does, though.

I don't think any amount of looking at reality will cure that until the day he wants to look at reality before he pegs it to his ideology.

I'm not talking about things that need long-winded explanations. I'm talking about looking at the crowds of happy people Trump draws and calling them hateful and angry and fanatical (in a derogatory sense) and the result of pandering and so on.

How does he see that when the people at Trump crowds are obviously celebrating life all the time right in front of him? Don't things like smiling, lack of violence, general good nature as people wander around before and after the rallies, and so on register within his perception without needing a proposition to make them real for him? Doesn't he see reality when it conflicts with his dogma?

Apparently not.

For him, Trump's key to success is that he panders. And the people he panders to are not good people. The rest is blank-out.

So what's to argue with a person who keeps doing that no matter what you say or point to? 

Michael

5 hours ago, tmj said:

He was wrong in 2016, in that Trump wasn't 'anti-immigration' , he was and his supporters were/are anti illegal immigration , so analysis along the lines of the false premise will be incorrect to the actual policy and support for said policy.

Given that his support from the Hispanic sector has increased since 2016, I'd say his voters understood his policy and generally agree with it, as would any American wage earner. Illegal immigration drives down domestic wages, and  forces up public expenditures .

Anti- *illegal* immigration, right. The same deceitful strawman I heard from Brook and Co. about the President:  "Anti-immigrant". Apart from your good reasons and the attractive US welfarism which some Objectivists don't want to consider, dropping context and by idealist standards of the ideal free nation of full individual rights, there's of course a good social reason against open borders. While every citizen in the country is documented, identifiable and traceable, now allow others coming in who can't ever be found or known. Not that most migrants are or will be criminals, but it only takes a few. What happens is nervousness and distrust about strangers who look Hispanic and who might be illegals and possibly harmful, making for social problems and prejudices which goes away mostly when everybody has applied for immigration, been vetted and carries ID. Old friends of mine immigrated to the US about twenty years ago, he eventually gained a top job as editor at a film studio. About ten years ago their son was shot several times while driving through an LA suburb (he survived) but the shooter when finally caught was an illegal Mexican, probably insane, who had shot and also killed others randomly, and because he was anonymous stayed at large enough to continue his spree for years. That quite legitimate fear and distrust of possibly undocumented, non-citizen strangers is clearly damaging to a society. I don't recall any anti-immigrant criticism about Obama, (e.g. by ARI) no one seems to want to remember he was called the "Deporter in Chief" at one stage. Played down by the msm, for sure. And who was going to call Obama xenophobic?

8 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Fine, Peter. Revel in your doom and gloom.

As an aside Guy, up until recently Rasmussen Polling was the ONLY one giving President Trump a slight, one point lead. Now they are not. I hope people rally around the flag now that he is back but some could harbor resentment that he downplayed and scoffed at the coronavirus until it zapped him and Melania. One poll, Rassmussen had him up so I was cherry picking, but I don't think in a deceitful way. Go to RCP and look for yourself.

Of course all working Americans must work to pay the bills and buy food and they will risk their health to earn the money needed. Today we had a lady knock on our door asking for 'just a few dollars" so she could buy gas . . . and she had a tale of woe. I rarely carry much cash but had a ten and two ones, so I gave her the ten. 

So in a sense the President risked his life to continue working and he paid the price. Was he foolish? You be the judge. I wish him, his family, and the White House staff good health.

My wife went to pick up an Rx at Walgreens today and there were ten cars in line. I will be needing one from Walgreens in a few days too. 

I want a Trump victory will all my heart and brain. I've grown to like and respect him though I first thought of him as a game show entertainer in 2015. What a great President he has been. Keep America Great!  Peter       

9 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

The eagle has landed.

TG,

And he ran the left crazy all day with this message to the American People.

He said do not be afraid of the caronavirus so much that it rules your life.

Full Transcript:

I just left Walter Reed Medical Center and it's really something very special. The doctors, the nurses, the first responders.

And I learned so much about coronavirus. And one thing's for certain.

Don't let it dominate you.

Don't be afraid of it.

You're gonna beat it. We have the best medical equipment. We have the best medicines. All developed recently. And you're gonna beat it.

I went. I didn't feel so good. And two days ago... I could have left two days ago. Two days ago I felt great, like better than I have in a long time. I said just recently, "Better than twenty years ago."

Don't let it dominate... Don't let it take over your lives. Don't let that happen.

We have the greatest country in the world. We're going back. We're going back to work. We're gonna be out front. 

As your leader, I had to do that. I knew there's danger to it, but I had to do it.

I stood out front. I led.

Nobody's who's a leader would not do what I did. 

And, I know there's a risk, there's a danger. But that's OK.

And now I'm better. And maybe I'm immune. I don't know.

But don't let it dominate your lives. Get out there. Be careful.

We have the best medicines in the world. And it all happened very shortly. And they're all getting approved. And the vaccines are coming momentarily.

Thank you very much. And Walter Reed, what a group of people. Thank you very much.

The left is calling him a murderer for what he just said.

The rest of us are saying about his statement, "Cool."

:)

Michael

• Like 1

Pasting from Real Clear Politics.

21 hours ago, Peter said:

I had a heck of a time cutting and pasting from RCP. 270 electoral votes are required to win the Presidency. Peter

Real Clear Politics Electoral College predictions as of today, October 5, 2020.

Click on the map or follow this link.

RCP-Oct-5-ECmap.png

Readers at that page can create their own maps of possible/plausible Electoral College outcomes (direct link to interactive EC map).  One  can use intuition or feelings, or consult opinion surveys or just run through various scenarios.

Another tool for election-watchers is at the Washington Post site, called "How turnout and swing voters could get Trump or Biden to 270."

The 2020 election will come down to two important questions: Who actually votes, and who do they vote for? Starting with the 2016 electorate, explore how shifts in turnout and voting patterns for key demographic groups could affect the race. Either start with the example below, or design your own scenario.

270 to win!

8 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Pasting from Real Clear Politics.

Click on the map or follow this link.

RCP-Oct-5-ECmap.png

Readers at that page can create their own maps of possible/plausible Electoral College outcomes (direct link to interactive EC map).  One  can use intuition or feelings, or consult opinion surveys or just run through various scenarios.

Another tool for election-watchers is at the Washington Post site, called "How turnout and swing voters could get Trump or Biden to 270."

270 to win!

How will this virus affect the vote? I think Trump supporters will vote one way or the other but Biden supporters, with the exception of black voters, may not. I don't see ANY enthusiasm for Biden but Kamala might draw a few neo communist / Bernie types to the election polls. We still have 28 days to go, but a low voter turnout in general might signal a Trump victory. I want to see some really nice pro Trump ads. "It will be morning in America . . . when we develop a vaccine." joke. I received a mail in vote letter yesterday. No joke 

Finally the gloves are coming off.

Even though this is a budget issue, this is an election issue. Pelosi wants to use this money from the COVID-19 relief funds to buy support for Biden's campaign. That's why she wants a lot more money than was planned. Bribes cost a lot.

Thank God President Trump finally put an end to it.

It's about time.

Pelosi missed out on her gravy train. From the tone of the above, I don't expect President Trump to go back to the table before the election, even if she agrees to everything he wants. He has his negotiating tactic and has been clear about it for ages:

This time, though, I think he has seen the true nature of his enemy.

A deal with a predator to eat a little bit less of you is not much of a deal.

The predator needs to be defeated and its fangs pulled out.

That's where I think President Trump's head is right now.

And if that is true, all I can do is thank his enemies for being so frothing-at-the-mouth bathsalts insane in their hostility.

Without that, after the election win, President Trump would have still tried to make a deal with them.

Instead, I think he is now committed to hiring some dentists.

Michael

• Thanks 1

This looks like magical thinking:

"I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business."

This implies that the GOP in the Senate and House will have enough power, and can speed through major legislation with extra super fast negotiation and reconciliation.

How confident should we be right now that the President's instructions to "representatives" will result in anything at all? His much-promised healthcare plan has gone nowhere.

Mr Bones Skate GIF by Russell Taysom

3 hours ago, william.scherk said:

... magical thinking...

. . .

This implies that the GOP in the Senate and House will have enough power, and can speed through major legislation with extra super fast negotiation and reconciliation.

William,

Once again, you would probably see President Trump if you looked at him straight and not down your nose at the caricature.

Everything he says has a context.

If we suppose the Republican Party takes the House and keeps the Senate (without it being jammed full of Never Trumpers), even though Pelosi will rule the House until January, how much power do you think she will truly wield? Her power right now comes from election funds. After the election, the ball game is over.

And who do you think many of the losers--Dem losers--will want to play with? A broken woman who's last gasp of political breath has been made, or the winners who are looking at at least 4 years of money and power and tend to have a forgiving nature?

President Trump's comment was made based on that projected presupposition.

How easy will it be to pass major legislation in that context? Especially with political infighters like the Republicans have on board?

Those who understand President Trump understand that. Those who do not, who prefer gotchas over trivialities meaning-wise, will think this is just one more proof he's a buffoon.

And the voting goes on...

Do you see her?

Look closely. Do you see her? She's out there and no liberal wants to believe she exists.

But she does...

She's out there and the election date is coming.

image.png

Michael

Stephen Miller now has coronavirus.

So why only Republicans?

Even Rush Limbaugh is noticing.

From Yesterday:

There Are No Coincidences in Politics

This is unbelievable now. This is straining credulity, isn’t it? Kayleigh McEnany has now tested positive for COVID-19. Still can’t find a Democrat that’s been infected. (interruption) Well, I don’t know, folks. I just don’t believe in coincidence.

As I keep asking:

Where is the list of high-level Democrats getting sick?

Michael

Meanwhile, out in the hood, here's a black guy, Bedros Keuilian, turning a friend who supports Biden to voting for Trump.

I think this guy articulated the arguments in just the right way for the hood. There are oodles of people like him out there now.

I don't think the Dems have anything comparable in getting Trump voters to switch to Biden. The direction is going only one way.

This video a big push by Mark Levin, who linked to the Facebook video. So the real traffic stats are there (671 thousand likes so far).

In fact, the YouTube version above is out of sync. So if you want a better version, click on the link in Mark Levin's tweet below. The Facebook video is not out of sync.

How much does "muh polls" scare you now? 

(If it does, that is.)

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Meanwhile, out in the hood, here's a black guy, Bedros Keuilian, turning a friend who supports Biden to voting for Trump.

Just for feel-good, here's some more luv from black Trump supporters.

And here is the Gateway Pundit article where I got this video from.

WATCH: Uber Driver Bashes Trump To His Passengers, What Happens Next Is Truly Incredible (VIDEO)

Michael

Real Clear Politics has the composite map showing Biden well ahead and the Bookmakers also have strong odds for a Biden victory. Zogby, and Rasmussen have Trump losing too with 27 days to go before the election.

Nightmare time? RCP has the Senate at 46 to 46 with 8 tossups. Image a Biden / Harris presidency with the House and Senate democratic too. Even if the Senate is 50-50, Vice President Kamala Harris’s potential vote could decide what bills pass. Do you think she will exercise that power? Batten down the hatches, hope for the best but prepare for the worst is one strategy. edited addition to post. 

I think The President getting the coronavirus has lowered his chances of winning again. It won’t change my vote, but those “undecided’s” seem to be drifting to the left. Peter

From The Guardian, 2 hours ago October 7, 2020. At least 27 people across Donald Trump’s White House, election campaign and military leaders have now tested positive for coronavirus . . . . On Tuesday, Stephen Miller, the controversial policy adviser to the US president, became the latest to confirm that he has Covid-19 and will enter quarantine. Miller has become the latest in a lengthy list of people connected to the White House to contract the virus in recent days . . . .

From Bing . . . . What happens if there is a tie in the Senate? When there is a tie in the Senate, as seen here for the confirmation of Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education, the Vice President (in this case, Mike Pence) has to step in to break the tie, or the motion fails by default.

virus, China Death Plague and the President and his people ate a big piece of the cake served up by enemies of free people around the globe  and then spit it out, and that will lessen his chance for re-election to leader of the free world ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

I clicked the link.  It goes to a Twitter page which says:

"This Tweet is from a suspended account. Learn more"

Ellen

Ellen,

Yeah, that was quick.

I found a replacement so you can see it below (thanks Daily Mail :) ).

James Woods tweeted that video of Michelle Obama. Someone had taken her original video, removed the background and added a greenscreen, then added in b-roll footage of the different riots with lots of burning as a new background.

President Trump retweeted the tweet by James Woods.

Twitter was not amused.

It took quite a bit of sleuthing to find this thing elsewhere. Even though the video below is at the Daily Mail site, the search engines are scrubbing references to it as soon as they detect them. So I could not find it by a normal search. But I did get something typing in 

michelle obama video greenscreen

I've learned you have to find sneaky terms like that to get around search engine suppression.

So I found some alt sites that discussed this and even embedded the video from Daily Mail. The problem for me was you can only do that with an iframe. Here on OL, iframes are not allowed for security reasons (as per recommendation from the IPB folks).

So I had to look at the page's source code on one of those alt sites and copy the URL on in the iframe and post it in the browser to see what happened. Happily, it took me to something I could work with.

Click on the link below or the image. Both work. It will take you to the Daily Mail site at the video section. You have to click the big blue play button once there, but you will see the video James Woods posted.

Trump retweets video Michelle Obama 'world on fire'

image.png

Heh.

That really does pop the balloon Michelle Obama was floating. No wonder they are trying to censor it.

Big Tech thinks censorship is a useful tool of persuasion.

The only thing they know about persuasion is how to code addiction and herding algorithms into their platform. And, of course, they let commercial ads run, so there is twice-removed persuasion to sell stuff.

As for the rest of human nature, they are a disaster. A total disaster.

Their constant abuse with low-level bullying (the poor things don't know any other way to deal with dissent) is going to cost them their privileged non-liability legal status. That is already in the works.

Good.

Michael

Muh polls!

But where is the reality?

Well, here's a bit of reality.

A Trump Supporter Went Undercover to Find Support for Biden in Houston – And She Found There Is None (VIDEO)

A  conservative YouTuber names “Fog City Midge” put on pro-Biden garb and went out to interview people in a pro-Democrat section of Houston.

She found most people didn't want to be interviewed or were voting for Trump. Of the few pro-Biden people she found, they were emotional against Trump, but didn't know much at all about Biden.

Michael

• Like 1