Donald Trump

White Mittens Loser Romney just showed me something:

Updated, 11:43 a.m. | Mitt Romney called Donald J. Trump “a phony” and “a fraud” in a speech on Thursday in which he urged Republicans to rally around one of Mr. Trump’s presidential rivals.

The hastily organized speech, which was delivered in Utah, represents a last-ditch effort among leaders in the Republican Party to blunt Mr. Trump’s momentum before he runs away with the presidential nomination. Mr. Romney has been criticizing Mr. Trump on social media in recent weeks, calling on him to release his tax returns and arguing that slowness to denounce the Ku Klux Klan was disqualifying for a presidential candidate.

“Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud,” Mr. Romney said. “His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He’s playing members of the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat.”

The former Massachusetts governor and 2012 presidential candidate, who considered making a third run in 2016, argued that Mr. Trump’s economic policies would create another recession and that he is not suited to represent America on the global stage.

“Donald Trump says he admires Vladimir Putin, while has called George W. Bush a liar,” Mr. Romney said. “That is a twisted example of evil trumping good.”

Mr. Romney spoke before more than 600 people at the Hinckley Institute of Politics in Salt Lake City. While the audience was generally supportive, there were some skeptics in the crowd.

Max Chaz, who backed Mr. Romney in 2012, arrived in a “Make America Great Again” hat that is the hallmark of Mr. Trump’s campaign. He was turned off by Mr. Romney’s late effort to tilt the election and said it was “bordering on tyranny when the party turns around at this date after Trump has been so successful and decide they don’t like the outcome.”

It remained unclear what influence Mr. Romney still has with Republican primary voters who have become increasingly wary of “establishment” politicians. So far, he has declined to formally endorse any of the Republican candidates, although there were rumors that he might support Senator Marco Rubio.

On Thursday, Mr. Romney made clear that he is pulling for anyone who can stop Mr. Trump.

“Of the remaining candidates, the only serious policy proposals that deal with the broad range of national challenges we confront have come from Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and John Kasich,” Mr. Romney said.

Mr. Trump responded quickly and forcefully. In an interview on MNSBC earlier Thursday, he recalled that Mr. Romney “begged” for his endorsement four years ago. “He ran one of the worst campaigns, as you know, in presidential history,” Mr. Trump said. “That was an election that should have been won by the Republicans.”

The Trump campaign also preemptively released a video on Facebook featuring clips of Mr. Romney making statements that were at odds with conservative orthodoxy on immigration, health care, abortion and climate change.

The tension between the two Republicans was a far cry from four years ago, when Mr. Romney lavished praise upon Mr. Trump when receiving his endorsement in Las Vegas. On that day, he flattered Mr. Trump for being the more successful businessman and described him as a visionary on economic issues.

“Donald Trump has shown an extraordinary ability to understand how our economy works, to create jobs for the American people,” Mr. Romney said.

Mr. Trump was equally glowing about Mr. Romney at the time, suggesting that he had the talent to make America great: “Mitt is tough, he’s smart, he’s sharp, he’s not going to allow bad things to continue to happen to this country that we all love.”

Trump unveils seven-point healthcare reform plan

I give his plan a D, passing but barely. I give him credit for wanting to abolish Obamacare's individual mandate and expand the sale of health insurance across state lines. Demerits:

1. No phase-out of employer-purchased health insurance. That would not bar employers from helping employees purchase their own insurance. An employer could still contribute to an employee's health savings account (HSA). 
2. No expansion of HSA to allow withdrawals to pay premiums for health insurance. (Withdrawals to pay premiums are allowed now, but they are far too limited. Link. )

Some background points: 

3.The market for the purchase of health insurance by individuals under age 65 is very limited in size, and hence competitiveness, due to employer-purchased health insurance. The market for health insurance by individuals age 65+ is very different due to Medicare supplement and Medicare Advantage policies.
4. Often-heard tragic stories is people losing health insurance because they lost their job. That is largely the result of employer-purchased health insurance. 

5. #1 involves tax policy, which I didn't address. 

6. Employer-purchased health insurance is a legacy of WW II era price controls.

Sara gives Donald good advice:

Donald Trump, Don't Take the Bait

The "machine's" deception and nonsensical attack on Trump isn't really an attack on the candidate, it's an attack on conscientious, hardworking, patriotic Americans who know we need a revolution to stop the complicit politicians who are fundamentally transforming America. We found the revolutionary.

Donald Trump is the shock the Permanent Political Class needs to wake them up... to destroy their selfish cabal... to respect the will of the people... to make America safe and solvent... to make America great again.

Don't take the bait, Mr. Trump. It's not about you. It's about us. And we've got your back.

- Sarah Palin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpQaqoTnnM

Wise lady.

I just saw the entire Romney speech.

I thought lying was a sin in Mormonism.

:)

Pure garbage. So I'm not even going to try to rebut this. I predict it will be a flash in the pan.

The real power deal is in the following interview with Paul Ryan earlier--before Romney spoke:

The takeaway:

1. Ryan refused to comment on Romney's negative opinion of Trump (meaning he did not take sides with Romney, his former running mate).

2. Trump reached out to Ryan and they are setting up a meeting.

3. Ryan was quite pleased he did so.

Voila. Done.

Power to power.

Deal making. And guess who's going to come out with the better side of the deal?

The rest, Romney's speech and so on, will have as much impact as passing gas in a fertilizer factory.

Michael

Well, I have to put this one up.

Louie Gohmert actually said--AND HE WAS SERIOUS--that Romney was in cahoots with Trump (they are both evil businessmen) by giving that anti-Trump speech so the country will vote for Trump over Cruz. That the establishment could not be so stupid that they would not know the ammunition this would give Trump. So it had to be collusion.

You have to see this to believe it.

Stuart Varney couldn't help but keep laughing all throughout the interview. But Gohmert was dug in on his conspiracy theory and didn't budge.

I'm trying to think of a zinger to jazz this one up a little, but I don't think it's possible. 

This is about as entertaining as it gets.

Michael

1 hour ago, Selene said:

White Mittens Loser Romney just showed me something:

Holy smokes! Romney's all fired up and feisty! Where'd this new passion and willingness to fight come from? And more importantly, why hasn't he ever brought the same energy and backbone to opposing Democrats?!!!

J

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Holy smokes! Romney's all fired up and feisty! Where'd this new passion and willingness to fight come from? And more importantly, why hasn't he ever brought the same energy and backbone to opposing Democrats?!!!

J

Precisely.

White Mittens never mentioned Dr. Carson, is that because Mormons are racists?

We can play this bull shit low rent game just like Mr. Lilly White privilege can.

A...

It starts.

Thank You, MittTrump's favorables just rose again, as did the veil you willingly wore while being used by the corrupt...

Posted by

Sarah Palin

on 

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Michael

Thanks Michael...

I will put that picture to good use.

A...

It would be a brilliant solve if Trump and Cruz decided to be a ticket...

Trump - Cruz would be unstoppable for the nomination and they could "arrange" a transition in four years.

A...

On 2/16/2016 at 10:25 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
49 minutes ago, Selene said:

Trump - Cruz would be unstoppable for the nomination and they could "arrange" a transition in four years.

A...

Now that would be something Adam. I like them both for different reasons of course. Each would bring much to the table. -Joe

A...

A...

Here is a video that Trump just posted on Facebook.

The fact that Trump posted this on Facebook comes with two underlying points I see, although there may be more.

1. These are two vets talking about Trump, one for and one against. The subtext of Trump posting it is, "I hear you, vets. I hear all of you. And I like it." And there is another subtext. It's OK to be a vet and support Trump--even as he trashes Bush. You will not lose your friends--as shown by the affection the two displayed for each other.

2. Probably the sneakiest point. The video is from The Kelly File, but without Megyn. I don't recall Trump ever posting a pro-Trump video from Megyn's show before. This, to me, signals a possible change in tone to warm up the debate in March where the two will meet again.

Michael

Trump & Cruz on the ticket...I like that. Each bring much to the table. -Joe

13 hours ago, william.scherk said:

18 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Technical Question if anyone reading this can answer:  Is there a way to do a nested quote?

When I hit the quote button, all that gets quoted is the reply I'm replying to, not the material to which the reply was replying.

For instance, Ninth was responding to a post of mine, but all that shows when I hit "Quote" is his reply, not what I said.

[....] Note in the upper left corner of each quote is a little +-box. If you click on that cross and hold it, you can drag it to where you want, up or down, inside the younger quote, where you want it. 

Another neat feature is using sequential snippet quoting.

[...] click on the little black pop-up "Quote this" tip that appears when you linger over a selected passage or paragraph.

[....] It still takes

bbcodes

I can't drag the little +-box using my tablet.

However, I discovered that I can position the cursor within the post I want as the outside post, then go to the post I want inside and click "Quote."

No black pop-up "Quote this" tip appears on my tablet.

Is bbcode stuff like [quote ]...[/quote ] (without the spaces)?

Test:

Is bbcode stuff like [quote ]...[/quote ] (without the spaces)?

Thanks for the info. :smile:

Ellen

"Dear Senator Goldwater:

Thank you for the autographed copy of The Conscience of a Conservative [...] I regard you as the only hope of the anticollectivist side on today's political scene, and I have defended your position at every opportunity ...

[...]But there is no such thing as a "Conservative" philosophy. It is the lack of a philosophy that has brought the American conservatives to helplessness, vacillation and successive defeats. [...]"

Letters of Ayn Rand - June 4, 1960

7 hours ago, Selene said:

Marc: 

If, by some bizarre flow of events, the Republicans are suicidal enough to "steal" the nomination from Trump and he runs 3rd party and manages to win the Presidency, which would be miraculous, do we win?

A...

I would say that under these circumstances sir , I would call that a win for sure !!!!!!!!

Its not suicidal though ( but I hear you ! ) , as I have been repeating - this is a war - all's fair in love and war .

7 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

I hope you are right, Marc. I hope it is taken away. That will bring all the worthless, crony shits to disaster even faster than his nomination and election would have. Suicide is sad, but this one will be fun to watch. The focus on one man, and the fantasy that their problems are solved once his spell on their people is over, is really quite entertaining.

My point since the beginning of this thread was basically to state that Trump cannot win . Or does not want to win , 

Still , I would bet on the "crony shits'' whom you speak about .

Not saying that they aint what you say they are , I just think that this coup will fall short .

Polls aside , delegates aside for now , and who knows how or why , this only gets solved when there is a Republican nominee called Trump or someone else .

Here is the kind of thing in our subcommunity that pisses me off until I remember these are elitists, bless their hearts. They are mentally handicapped.

Mitt Romney’s Speech Attacking Trump Showed Why Trump Is Taking Over the GOP
The 2012 nominee's remarks were scathing, but omitted his own history with Trump.
Peter Suderman
Mar. 3, 2016
Hit and Run blog
Reason

From the article:

Suderman said:

Yes, Romney is right that Trump is a liar and a boor, a fraud and a phony. But he’s a fraud and a phony that Romney and the rest of the GOP were happy to build up and perpetuate for as long as it suited their own purposes. For far too long, the Republican party was a willing partner in Donald Trump’s scam.

The double-standard is so on the nose, and the author soooooooooooo doesn't have a clue, it's breathtaking.

Suderman (who I do not know, nor know his writing other than this article), chides Romney & Co., nay, the entire Republican party, for being "willing partners" in a scam. OK... That sounds like morality. I'm interested...

So if we accept Suderman's standard, what does that make Romney & Co. and the entire Republican party?

Toadies and scammers.

Does he dismiss them or call any one of them "a liar and a boor, a fraud and a phony"?

No...

Er...

Well, duh...

What do toadies and scammers do in Suderman's view? Sell Girl Scout Cookies for charity and help old ladies across the street? Don't they lie and act boorish at times and commit frauds and are phonies? If not, what do toadies and scammers look like to Suderman? 

It's obvious Suderman considers the toadyism and scams of Romney & Co. and the Republican party momentary lapses, while the scams of Trump are character flaws.

Gimme a break!

btw - Trump is not a scammer nor any of that other stuff Suderman said. He's wrong. But that's not my point.

From the tone of the article, the real sin of Romney & Co. and the Republican party is not that they sucked up to someone Suderman thinks is a bad guy and did bad guy stuff themselves.

It's that it didn't work.

Suderman's moral argument is that Romney & Co. and the Republican party are so very obviously morally superior to Trump, but they are to be blamed and shamed right now because they couldn't pull off a scam on Trump.

If they had succeeded in clipping Trump for money and influence and fooling the voters, even if it were in the most vile, immoral, ass-kissing way, it is obvious Suderman would be applauding them for astuteness.

You know... if they steal the election from Trump, I believe this author is one guy who will applaud them. I also bet he gets confused at times about why Trump supporters don't pay any attention to his arguments.

Dayaamm!

Friggin' elites... 

Ya' gotta luvem'...

Michael

Just saying but DT looks like he is on the brink of exhaustion and it would make sense . How he has worked , and campaigned and strategized so brilliantly . But going forward , looking at his eyes and his exhaustion - I cannot see how this is not taking a toll on him , and sometime before the Ides of March , methinks its over