Donald Trump

Cruz should start seriously out-distancing Trump now that the closed primary states are coming on line. I see Trump dropping out before the convention. At least not nominated. Why the Republicans tolerate any open primaries is beyond me. It lets Democrats vote for Trump.

--Brant

29 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Cruz should start seriously out-distancing Trump now that the closed primary states are coming on line. I see Trump dropping out before the convention. At least not nominated. Why the Republicans tolerate any open primaries is beyond me. It lets Democrats vote for Trump.

--Brant

Consider their mentality which is that the party has been shrinking.

More (I)'s nationally registered, according to one of the few polls that Gallop does well, it is up to 42%.

This is the target that the party seeks. 

There is a treasure trove of blue collar ex-Dems in there that Trump connects with at a very deep level...that Blue Collar Billionaire mantle works quite well.

A...

I was watching Cavuto just now and the check mark was just made beside Trump's name. That means that Fox is calling Kentucky for Trump.

I don't know if anyone else has, but it seems reasonable at...

Er...

As I was typing this, Drudge just called Kentucky for Trump.

So Trump got one caucus state out of 3 in addition to the primary state. Not bad for a candidate like him...

Michael

8 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I was watching Cavuto just now and the check mark was just made beside Trump's name. That means that Fox is calling Kentucky for Trump.

I don't know if anyone else has, but it seems reasonable at...

Er...

As I was typing this, Drudge just called Kentucky for Trump.

So Trump got one caucus state out of 3 in addition to the primary state. Not bad for a candidate like him...

Michael

We will all point to this night as a key step forward to the nomination.

Tuesday is important.

And obviously the following Tuesday is when he can put this away by winning Florida.

Ohio would be an early Christmas present. 

Remember Kasich took something like 54 of 56 counties in Ohio.  I have a small nest there and they are quite pleased with Kasich as their Governor and I am getting them to vote for Trump in the primary because they need to keep Kasich as their Governor, this is not his time. 

1998 was his time, not now.

A...

I just saw Trump speak.

He said something of the utmost importance.

He mentioned this movement by some of the establishment Republicans to make a third party if he wins the nomination just to guarantee he will not win the election and the Democrat (probably Hillary) will.

He said that the next president will nominate Judge Scalia's replacement and probably another two Supreme Court Justices. If the establishment Republicans do this third party thing, they will guarantee that Hillary will appoint these judges.

Does anyone want Hillary Clinton appointing one to three Supreme Court Justices? If she does, there goes the Second Amendment, probably a chunk of the First, and God knows what else--and these sore loser establishment Republicans will be to blame.

I, personally, don't think any conservatives--other than crony neocons--will ever pardon them if that happens. And good luck on any of them getting elected for anything in the future after that. Not even president of a PTA meeting at a middle school.

Michael

Very interesting evening.

Cruz got 60 delegates as of now

Trump got 46.

Ricardo got 13.

Kasich got 8.

Yep. 

2016 Puerto Rico Republican Primary

March 2016
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    
The Puerto Rico Republican Primary is March 6, 2016
Delegates 23
Allocation: Threshold
Threshold: 20% (minimum vote to receive any delegates)
ANotes:

Winner Take All where a candidate exceeds 50%

And the weird part is that apparently, Puerto Ricans cannot vote in the Presidential election?? 

Here's a really cool pro-Trump article on his principles and good character.

Trump’s Best Friend From School Just Wrote Something You MUST Read Before Voting For Trump!

Hat tip to a lady named Ann E. W. Stone. I don't know her, but she knows some of the same people I do. 

This thing is actually causing a bit of a kerfuffle with Trump haters...

Michael

Puerto Rico will not participate in the November 8, 2016 general election because it is a territory and not a state. However, the six non-incorporated territories that send Delegates to the House of Representatives will participate in the presidential primaries.

In the presidential primaries, Puerto Rico voters will express their preferences for the Democratic and Republican parties' respective nominees for President. Registered members of each party may only vote in their party's primary, while voters who are unaffiliated may choose any one primary in which to vote.

So, this is semi-open because registered undeclared aka independent can vote in either party.

However, registered D's, or, R's, cannot cross over.

https://www.newikis.com/en/wiki/Puerto_Rico_Republican_primary,_2016

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I did not know this about Puerto Rico either...

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Thousands of inmates lined up in prisons across Puerto Rico on Friday to cast early ballots in the U.S. territory's Republican primary, some saying they hoped the elections can help lift the island out of an economic crisis.

At least 6,500 of the island's 11,500 prisoners are registered to vote, and government officials said this year's turnout was strong. Even prisoners not registered are allowed to participate in the open primaries, which are held two days ahead of the vote for the general population. The island's Republican primary is Sunday while Democrats vote in June.

Some said they were prompted to vote by Puerto Rico's decade-long economic woes and concerns for relatives who have left for the U.S. mainland, seeking jobs.

"I wanted to take action this time," said Omar Quintana, 37, a first-time voter who is serving a six-year sentence for robbery at Institution 1072 in Bayamon, just southwest of the capital of San Juan. "Maybe this will improve if we become a U.S. state."

Like others, he declined to say who earned his vote, but said he made up his mind after watching two televised debates and talking with other inmates.

And...

Puerto Rico has allowed inmates to vote since the 1980s, though they make up a tiny share of the overall electorate. On the mainland, only the U.S. states of Maine and Vermont let inmates vote.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/thousands-puerto-rico-inmates-vote-republican-primary

A...

After all that excitement and hoopla, I felt the need for a relaxing, lulling engagement with politics. This is the 96% Donald Trump extract from the last GOP FoxNews debate. I added some luscious tropical sound effects and a travelogue of port and harbourside, seaview pictures. I love it when Mr Trump can help me fall into a sweet Red Tory dream.
This was just a couple of days ago, and like with the Nixon group, no longer operative, some of it. Sigh. Sweet sounds of success ... [Edit: removed faulty Donald Trump video. Danged sound files]

18 hours ago, Selene said:

You know what I really like about you William?

It is how sensitive that you are with a person who shares his/her feelings with you...

Posted Image

A...

Some things need to go to back porch or the side porch, perhaps -- whereas I enjoy performing on the front porch (as well as on the lawn and in the driveway and carport and sidewalk and street, on occasion).  But if my ma preferred her middle name and enforced its use, why can't Rafael Edward HispanoTwinFreak prefer to use the short form Ted over Edward over Rafael?  Other people's shit about your name is their shit, not yours, so I get your point, but it has nothing personal to do with him, everything with him becoming the perfect Manchurian Candidate ... er, I mean, Political Actor. Er; He caught the fever young, and I expect it was like Disco Fever, never actually going away.  I cut him a break because he is Jesus freaky and looks like a young Grandpa Munster. You, I cut a break because of the view from New Jersey.

Look at those hands. Are they small hands?

18 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

William, [...] I want Trump to win everything he can, of course. Looks like Kentucky is coming along. Another state or two would be great.

:) 

Michael

See the numbers below. All is within the magic margin. 33 is magic, plurality builds to majority. He must be licking his chops at the coming winner-take-all slaughter on the 15th. I know I am.

19 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Our Fearless Leader understands not all heats will be won by Trump. What is solid is the fundament, the national average in the polls, and the magic number 33  at the ballot box. Observe:

original.jpg

Of course, tonight the delegate counts are the thing to add up and compare, not so much the percentages, except for wonkish boneworm Number People. [...] I will plug in a grille of results later on when the totting and jugging is done.

Alabama 43.3% 45.0% -1.000   50   16.0%    
Alaska 34.2% 36.0% -1.800   28   20.0%    
Arkansas 32.6% 36.0% -3.400   22   20.0%   3
Georgia 38.9% 39.0% -0.100   17   15.0%   6
Massachusetts 49.0% 51.0% -2.000   42   10.0%    
Minnesota 36.8% 18.0% 18.800   6   21.0%   7
Oklahoma 28.3% 35.0% -6.700   6   23.0%   4
Tennessee 39.0% 42.0% -3.000   12   21.0%   6
Texas 26.9% 32.0% -6.000   36   35.0%   39
Vermont 33.50% 32.0% 1.500   16   11.0%    
Virginia 36.9% 40.0% -3.100   40   22.0%   9
Wyoming             15.0%    
    TRUMP     del   CRUZ    
Highest nat pol/RCP avg %   49/36.5         24/19.8    
Kentucky 38.1% 35.0% 3.1   18   33.2%   16
Louisiana 42.1% 43.3% -0.3   24   37.4%   17
Kansas 23.3% 35.0% -11.7   8   48.2%   23
Maine 32.59 35.6% -3.0   8   45.9%   12
avg + dels 36.31% 36.91% -2.98 279 275   41.2% 193 157
Newest nat.poll   35.6 -0.63   83     15  
      0.68 361 358     201 172

Edited by william.scherk
Added a vacation lullaby video of Trump's remarks at the last GOP debate. [fucked up the audio - removed]

Earlier today I finished a communication on Facebook with Virginia Postrel. This is the first time we have ever talked.

She dislikes Trump (maybe I'm understating it :) ), but she made a call for Trump supporters to say what they think a Trump administration would look like. I posted some things and I was surprised at how gracious she was. I expected hostility or attacks from anti-Trump trolls. These didn't happen, although I am pretty sure over time, someone or other will not be able to resist and come out snarking. :)

I don't think I convinced Virginia of anything, but I do think she has a lot more to chew on than she did before. I think she is writing an article or something. I got a bit carried away, but I wanted her to have the information in the form she asked for, but with enough context and foundation so it would not be simply some opinions she could use as talking points to set up and knock down later. After my last post, she thanked me and said for me to call her Virginia.

I hope this will not be the last time we talk.

I won't give her remarks but here is the link if anyone is interested is seeing them.

MSK said:

Ms. Postrel, Let me start by saying something that might be useful to you. This is a secondary attraction of Trump to Trump supporters (the primary is a separate discussion), but it is highly relevant to you. Try to look at Trump through the eyes of a Trump supporter. As the lady who wrote the finest, most perceptive book on glamour I have encountered, I don't know if you noticed something. If you have, I missed it since I have not seen a relevant comment by you.

It's all there: transport, hidden artistry and mystique. I realize your focus in your book was visual, but conceptually (and partially visually), it's all there from their eyes. Trump is glamorous. And they are not subhuman or rubes to resonate like this. They are good intelligent productive people who dream big even when they can't live it. I'm serious.

For the record, I am a Trump supporter in the fullest most rational and philosophical meaning of the term. Trump, to me, is one of the most principled men ever to run for office. I'm not going to argue that here, though. I've done so elsewhere and I'm just framing my comment.

Re your request, every time I have attended to a request similar to the one you just made, it was a call from someone who doesn't like Trump and the intent was to set up better looking strawmen for the person to knock down in a future article. The very first person who did this was Glenn Beck and there were a string of others after him. So, after getting the same result over and over, I stopped answering this call. I analyze Trump on my forum. I'm not saying this is your intent. But I don't want to bicker with the anti-Trump people on this thread or provide kindling and gasoline for a possible unknown fire. 

(It's sorely tempting, though, since I respect you so much--hope always lives in my heart that folks are on a quest of understanding instead of agenda...)

=============================

Virginia (I just changed over from Ms. Postrel, but if that's a problem, please let me know :) ), As I said, glamour is a secondary part, and only one part at that. Trust is the biggest part and a lot of that trust is tied to the issue of illegal immigration--how both sides punk off the producer class with illegals, one side to get votes and the other to get cheap labor. And they lie in the producer class's face. Trump's trust factor is that he doesn't lie to the producer class. He even tells them he bought politicians so he could produce. 

So I fully agree with you that anger and resentment are not the all-encompassing driving motor behind his support that others claim. If fact, they are secondary. Losing someone's trust and getting someone riled are different.

Trump's mystique to the Trump supporter (at least those like me) is not visual. It's right there in his wealth producing character. How does he do it? That's what people want to know.

I'll bite and give you how I think a Trump administration will look. I think, administratively, it will look a lot like one of his real estate development projects. The very first thing he will do (along with initial duties) is survey the terrain and gather intel. He has a habit of consulting the best he can find when he doesn't know something. I fully expect him to continue. 

Then I expect him to draw up plans that will cancel the rotten parts of the government as he puts in place the good parts he designs with his experts. I fully expect him to sell his vision as the showman he is as he goes along. Expect a lot of high-profile firings, too. :)  

I expect him to implement his plans with a huge amount of competence, although he will struggle at first with the civil servant mentality and protections. Maybe lose a court case here and there. But he will eventually find out how to make it work. Trump is a very quick study.

I think he will unleash a lot of top business talent on foreign countries. Some of them will screw up from lack of diplomatic ability, but most will make great deals. 

After Trump makes some iconic huuuuuge projects, with all due pomp and ceremony, I believe the mainstream American spirit will change from the default state of bickering at the present to include pride. Mostly, in this attitude change, I expect people to start trusting each other more. 

And another thing. I expect Trump to get the government off of people's backs and run things the way they are supposed to be run so people can get back to living. A typical Trump supporter hates politics. 

On the theoretical part, I expect Trump to be informed by small government conservatives like Sarah Palin and Jeff Sessions. So when he crosses anti-constitutional lines, I expect them to give him hell and I expect him to listen.

I lived in Brazil for 32 years before returning to the USA, so my perspective on this is not typical or sycophantic. Yet I believe it is, in general, representative of how Trump supporters think. I base my opinion on observing what other Trump supporters say and my interactions with them.

I could go on, but this is what I imagine will happen. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? 

(See? Like a sucker, I bit and it didn't take long. It's Lucy and Charlie Brown with the friggin' football... :) )

=============================

I want to add a note separately because this is critical, both as a fundamental principle and as the foundation for Trump's glamour to the Trump supporter.

Whenever there is a difference between what someone says and what he habitually does, a Trump supporter (like me) looks at what he does as the better indication of what he will do. 

Trump produces, he doesn't destroy. Nor did he make his money from war profits.

Bigotry? Look at how he runs his hotels, TV shows and clubs. Bigotry isn't refuted, it's not even allowed on the property.

Family values? He may have had a couple of messy marriages, but look what magnificent children he produced.

Immigrants? He wants to block illegal immigrants, but he married two immigrants. And all of his kids except Tiffany have an immigrant mother.

And on and on.

Part of Trump's glamour is how he manages to snatch success out of the corrupt machine that is running things, live the good life, and still keep his soul intact.

You may agree or disagree with this, but this is how I (and others) see it. This is the basis of Trump's glamour. I want many of these things for me (altered to my reality, of course).

So transport-wise: Trump is the big-time, the bright lights, the fancy everything and wealth and fame and all things I am not but would like to be. :) 

Hidden artistry: Trump touts his superpowers all the time and, even though I (and other Trump supporters) see some of this as BS (what he says), he does get results (what he does). He is wedded to excellence in all things, even his TV show used excellence as a theme, but it looks like he does it all without a lot of effort. 

Even his enemies downplay his achievements all the time because they can't believe he actually works.

Mystery: Like I said, how does he do it? The wealth? The fame? The success? Winning? What are his secrets? And on predicting results, Trump himself says he likes to be unpredictable.

(Note: Sometimes I may not use the exact wording you did, but I'm going on memory since this is off the top of my head. I didn't consult the book or my notes for these posts. So the way I am saying things is the way I integrated the concepts from your book.)

btw - If my sudden verbosity seems akin to a screwball let loose like an emotionally pent-up protagonist exploding in a fountain of words in a Paddy Chayefsky story, it just might be :) , but I assure you I only aim to help. So I hope my comments helped you in your project, whatever it is. (Please God, let it not be an anti-Trump screed. :) ) Unless you want more information, I'll hold my peace. I don't intend on turning this into a soapbox. Good luck to you.

Michael

I just saw her opening monologue a while ago and was very intrigued.

She has always appeared melodramatic and over the top prosecutor style, however, she was very powerful tonight and brought up quite a few interesting names in Mittens past.

I was going to post it ...

=============================================

This was interesting on Ricardo and today's Puerto Rico primary...

One hundred and three Republican delegates are already locked up and Donald Trump has secured a majority of them (67). With Super Tuesday and its delegate-rich states looming, it appears it is now or never for current third-place contender Marco Rubio to make a move in the polls to surpass Trump and Ted Cruz.  Since New Hampshire Rubio has been gaining on Cruz, narrowly surpassing him in South Carolina for a second place finish. Rubio is likely to gain needed momentum from recent major party endorsements and other “establishment” candidates dropping out such as Bush and Christie who are expected to endorse him.

With all of his momentum, Puerto Rico has the potential to be a pivotal turning point for Rubio’s candidacy. Not only does Puerto Rico carry 23 delegates in the Republican primary, which is equal to or greater than 5 U.S. states, a win here has the potential to be a dispositive factor for providing some much needed boost and catapulting Rubio to the nomination as Puerto Rico could likely become his first victory. Puerto Rico currently has no primary polling, however, the PredictIt political markets currently project Rubio as a clear front runner in the US territory. PredictIt currently has Rubio shares valued at $0.71 a share ahead of Trump and Cruz with $0.24 and $0.04 a share, respectively.  This lead can be translated to a Rubio lead of more than 10% in Puerto Rico by extrapolating from trends in polling and political markets of states with recent polling such as Georgia, Nevada. Without polling and given the fickle nature of the electorate this campaign cycle, there is significant uncertainty whether he has such a large lead or any lead at all.  It is still illuminating, however, that a majority of people willing to bet on the primary are predicting Rubio is the frontrunner.

Factors contributing to his lead include his Hispanic heritage (Cuban, same as Cruz), campaigning in San Juan and delivering a speech in Spanish late last year, promising as president he would assist Puerto Rico by supporting statehood, making the Earned Income Tax Credits available to the territory, doubling the Child Tax Credit, and repealing and replacing Obamacare with a system putting Puerto Rican citizens on equal footing. Rubio’s Strong performance in political markets could also be traced to the endorsement of former Republican governor of Puerto Rico Luis Fortuño and the tendency of Puerto Rico to select the nominee based on the endorsement of party leadership. Rubio, however, has stated his opposition to providing Puerto Rico the same bankruptcy protection available to towns and cities on the mainland. This position, still has the potential to haunt Rubio in Puerto Rico and delegate-rich Florida, where approximately 1 million Puerto Ricans live.

This was only February 23rd!!

http://pasquines.us/2016/02/23/can-puerto-rico-be-a-turning-point-for-marco-rubio/

Adam,

That shady school stuff of Romney's amused me because I'm skimming through Jeb! and the Bush Crime Family: The Inside Story of an American Dynasty by Roger Stone. I know Jeb is out of the race, but his cronies are not. And this book is turning out to be one hell of a tell-all.

With Jeb Bush, check out Academic Partnerships. It's late, so I'll post an excerpt tomorrow, but it's not pretty. This is money that goes into the pockets of Jeb & cronies he developed while governor. The figures thrown around are $20 million, $5 million and so on. This is a pure rip-off of university funds. (Actually tuitions.)

All perfectly legal, of course...

:) 

Michael

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here's a really cool pro-Trump article on his principles and good character.

This thing is actually causing a bit of a kerfuffle with Trump haters...

Michael

I thought he would say Trump saved his life. At 62 Ive noticed a lot of sentimentality coming from remembrances. Ill save what I think his writing style reveals. The salient points are Trump is not evil, dont fear him, people dont change ideologically, ever, after their 17th birthday and he will hire good people. Its a defense of his personality not of his ethical or principled stance in any measure. When Trump needs a lawyer, whos he gonna call? Need a lawyer**LAW. )

Fine enough. In an effort to put forth ones best assessment one has to say how a deep well of resourcefulness Trump purportedly possesses lends itself to being President.

He and most any successful person share those basic qualities.

Im still waiting for his own rational language to take hold. Without that, pathos sounds well, pathetic. If hes saving his best for last I see very little suggestion of true intellect. Its as if he depends on and intends a caricature of himself to portray his tough guy qualities. Trump and Clinton in a last gasp debate, I see a hilarious SNL skit, not an inspiring leader. Will power alone isnt enough and at 69 I see signs of flagging when confronted with serious topics. He rambled on for 1 1/2 hours on Power Lunch on Tuesday, and I considered killing the program, but listened to a ramblin man. Keep ramblin man.

Im intrigued by Trump. I dont count him out. He is 69, his best days behind him, has handed off the baton to his children and is living off his storied name.

If he is so tough, a quality he exudes, demonstrate it. The strongest people use simple language, grasp a principle, articulate it and earn trust, the old fashion way.

I did mention, names mean nothing to me. ) Has anyone seen Jeb, Mark, John and Ben can you tell me where theyve gone. And seriously, Cruzs' Hispanic blood runs deeper for voters than does his name.

1 hour ago, turkeyfoot said:

Its a defense of his personality not of his ethical or principled stance in any measure.

Geoff,

This is one of those dichotomies that are actually parts of the same whole.

If people don't want to be good, no amount of principles will keep them from doing evil.

Even though I bash Glenn Beck right now for being a hate-filled prophet wannabe (his hatred is only for Trump), he was the one who opened my eyes on this. One of the reasons churches have been so important to keeping the constitution in place is that they keep people wanting to be good according to some basic moral principles (don't murder, don't lie, things like that). They are the main system in America for a weekly moral tune-up.

Now we have other alternatives, lectures, books and so on. But churches won't go away anytime soon because they have such a solid traditional structure and repeating pattern.

I once wrote about a thought experiment. Imagine taking hardened criminals out of a penitentiary and dumping them on an island, then saying they have this here constitution and these here individual rights. It will be up to them to rule themselves according to this structure and these principles. And suppose all of them had agreed to do so--this was a condition to get to the island.

Then you leave them by themselves to see what will happen.

What do you think will exist when you come back in six months?

I know and so does everyone else.

Gang warfare, that's what will exist. That is, gang warfare among those who are still alive.

You can't make good principles work without good character.

So good character is no small thing in evaluating a man like Donald Trump. It's a big deal.

Trump has been a principled businessman for decades. A serious and ruthless tactician, but principled. He doesn't fall outside the law and he promotes fairness.

He's getting his purchase on political principles right now and surrounding himself with principled constitutionalists. With a man of his character, I think he will be just fine.

Michael

Speaking of Glenn Beck, there is so much wrong with the following video, it's breathtaking.

Let's go through just a few of them.

1. Since when has George Stephanopoulos ever interviewed Glenn Beck asking for his wisdom? Good Lord! Stephanopoulos may not have openly declared war on Beck over the years, but he has always orchestrated his show so that there are plenty of people who call Beck a clown, unhinged, and so on. And Beck? He's been open about it for years. He thinks Stephanopoulos is a dishonest hack. Now they are playing nicey-nicey with each other? Gimme a break! Stephanopoulos is a Clinton puppet and this interview indicates to me just how afraid the Clinton machine is of Donald Trump.

2. Beck talks love and peace and says Trump is Hitler. He knows full well Trump is not a warmonger and never has been. So his smears of Trump have not been taking with the general public and he appeals to Godwin's law. How's that for promoting love and peace? Lie and assign hatred where none exists. I thought bearing false witness was a sin in his religion. Apparently it is until it isn't.

3. Beck bashed Trump's theater of having people pledge to vote for him in a rally. Yet I didn't hear a peep out of Beck when Trump stood before 24 million people on the Fox stage and they demanded Trump make a pledge to the Republican party, nor the entire party pledge soap opera that followed. The whole purpose was to get Trump not to run as a third party candidate. Now the very people who engineered that are trying to set up a third party. Using pledges for politics seems to be OK to Beck in that case.

I could go on, and believe me, there is still plenty to go on about, but seeing ABC turn hard Christian, even if it's a Mormon flavor, that's weird enough to discredit this interview.

Michael

If you can’t win your home state, even with a hundred million dollars in a couple of weeks spent on political ads . . . give it up until next time. Re – Marco – Bull. Too bad Little Boobio is still in the race, but, his presidency would have been good for the country. Give your endorsement to Ted, Marco. TrusTed.

Adam wrote: I, as a person of Northern Italian heritage, was infuriated when I was told that one of my very close relatives changed his surname to a nice WASP name to duck being discriminated against in both the military and police departments. 

end quote

That does stink, though I am glad I am not named Sven or Olaf, or some dumb English or Scot’s name. Rafael could be shortened for political rallies to Raffy Raffy Raffy. Naw. That doesn’t sound so good.

Does religion still matter in this advanced day in civilization? Sure, but not always in the way of the conclusion you might jump to, Adam. As I have said before, I lived near Naval Air Station Quonset Point in Rhode Island in the fifth and sixth grades and the neighborhoods were predominantly catholic yet what struck me was how independent Catholic families were. One of my friend’s mother was outspoken about her support for contraception and even abortions to save the life of the mother. Italians and Port-a-gees as we called them were everywhere. Italian cuisine is the best.

Puerto Ricans can vote in the primaries but not in the general election? And felons can vote? Weird.

Peter  

From OZY on March 5: The candidate who wins the Catholic vote has also won the popular vote in every election since 1972. What makes the Catholic vote unique is its ability to mimic the trends of the American populace as a whole, says Robert P. Jones of the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute. Add that to the fact that Catholics make up almost a quarter of the U.S. population — and have a solid history of actually showing up at the polls — and you can understand why the demographic is highly sought by campaigners . . . .  end quote

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is there a way to see new content and topics? 

I think so Peter...

I check the all activity on the left and/or unread content on the right to keep up with new posts...if there is a better way, I am open to it.

A...

Here is a perfect example of how a Trump mentality and approach would cut through all the bureaucratic bullshit that adds corrupt costs to every project in the "public interest."

The fact that the brawl was caught on camera was by complete chance.

“That’s where we installed the cameras,” said Smith. “We don’t have cameras in any of the other housing areas and they only went in last night, so it’s interesting it happened here.”

Now, check this out...

“If it’s going to take two years to get a new system in, these are great in the interim,” Smith said.

On Wednesday, county officials told the sheriff it would take two more years and $20 million before any more cameras made it inside the jail.

What to do?  We are doomed for two (2) years!!!!

Here is what a Trump appointed Sheriff would do, and she did...

So Smith took matters into her own hands and bought 12 security cameras using her own credit card and Costco membership.

The sheriff spent about $760 on 12 Lorex high-def cameras that capture views of the multi-purpose room, exercise room and each of the 50 jail cell doors.

Smith said, “We didn’t want to get hung up in the bureaucracy and the red tape. We wanted cameras in the facilities.”

The gaps in the main jail’s surveillance system were exposed after three correctional deputies were accused of fatally beating inmate Michael Tyree at the same jail last August. That incident was not captured on camera.

I seriously want to see some VA top echelon administrators enjoy the benefits of our Federal facilities as "Weekend Warriors" who would serve out their sentences on their weekends while they continued to work under strict supervision as low level clerks, maintenance, or, entry level positions.  

They might be charged with taking and processing forms from Vets who are now being treated immediately at their local health facility, or, being serviced by one of our "No Man Left Behind Treatment Mobile Hospitals." 

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/03/03/inmate-brawl-puts-santa-clara-county-main-jail-on-lockdown/

A...

14 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Look at those hands. Are they small hands?

See the numbers below. All is within the magic margin. 33 is magic, plurality builds to majority. He must be licking his chops at the coming winner-take-all slaughter on the 15th. I know I am.

This is the delegate count ... see the two highlighted rows at bottom:
-- Mr Trump has reached 31% of the delegates he needs to clinch the nomination
-- Mr Cruz has reached 24% of the same 1237 delegates needed to win.
-- it looks like the next Candidacide should be Marco Rubio. He is polling way below what he needs to have any chance. If he loses in Florida, he will probably fold his tent and hop aboard SS Cruz ... 

Trump Cruz Rubio Kasich
Iowa 7 8 7 1
N.H. 11 3 2 4
S.C. 50 0 0 0
Nev. 14 6 7 1
Ala. 36 13 1 0
Alaska 11 12 5 0
Ark. 16 14 9 0
Ga. 40 18 14 0
Mass. 22 4 8 8
Minn. 8 13 17 0
Okla. 13 15 12 0
Tenn. 31 15 9 0
Texas 47 102 3 0
Vt. 6 0 0 6
Va. 17 8 16 5
Kan. 9 24 6 1
Ky. 17 15 7 7
La. 18 18 5 0
Maine 9 12 0 2

382 300 128 35

x/1237 30.88% 24.00% 10.35% 2.82%
x/2472 14.45% 12.13% 5.17% 1.41%

The future First Lady shows her assets on the wing of Trump One.  Do these fingers look small?

melania_trump13.jpg

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

He's getting his purchase on political principles right now and surrounding himself with principled constitutionalists. With a man of his character, I think he will be just fine.

Michael

I dont know, only think, do I. )

He is emotionally driven in no small measure. I believe hes taking testosterone or something that keeps it up for him. ) He dove in it appears because he senses it slipping away. Thats why he sneers and pouts and twists and talks trash, evades and avoids. And why I have no doubt I couldnt spend time with him and come away enlightened. From the art of the deal http://tinyurl.com/jqm4rwb    “You can’t con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don’t deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.”

And this about Ronald Reagan 4 paragraphs later, "Only now nearly 7 and half years later, are people beginning to question whether theres anything beneath that smile."

Im waiting. With the number 1 problem for politicians being delivering on their promises, lets not mistake will for decisions turning into solutions. The next concern he will face is will there be a house and/or senate willing to do what he wants. I can envision him leaving office due to a temper tantrum.