Elon Musk and Twitter

Everybody knows about iPhones. And Android phones.

And both belong to the same cartel because each has a quasi-exclusive store to get apps from.

What happens when both ban Twitter in their stories?

Well, I see an Elonphone on the horizon. With his own apps store and all.

:) 

Here's what the first step of that looks like:

Kill the surveillance.

Michael

37 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

Elon Musk tweets: "Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll."

Hrrm...what's he up to, now?

One theory:

As to that theory: seems Musk is already shooting that down...

I think Elon's poll has to do with backstage pushback he is getting from the Scumbag Deep State.

I believe he doesn't want the hassle anymore and he liked being the cool guy.

Also, the fake news media is going after SpaceX and his other ventures.

Or it could be that the reality of releasing the files on Fauci has started to spook him as the threats arrived.

It's all speculation right now.

Still, he is plodding forth.

There are only 14 tweets in this thread, so the simplified reading version should not be too long in coming.

Michael

As a counternarrative, the interview below with Whitney Webb is a mind-blower.

She is not an Elon Musk fan, nor a Matt Taibbi fan, nor an organized crime fan. Apparently she knows a lot of these people because she used to write for The Intercept when it was still under Glenn Greenwald (she is not a fan of his, either :) ). This was during the time of the Snowden leaks.

She wrote a two-volume book called One Nation Under Blackmail (Volume 1 and Volume 2 - referral links) and is being interviewed all over the place right now. But more on her elsewhere. I am reading the books, so I will be talking about those, too.

In Whitney's version, after the Snowden leaks, the Predator State had to figure out a way to reestablish trust in the media. That was one of the reasons for the creation of The Intercept, although I doubt Greenwald would have known that at the time since he was the one who opened the Snowden files to the world.

But The Intercept ended up being a honeypot to attract whistleblowers against the Intelligence Community. And it managed to get three of them put in jail, although this was not widely talked about in the media. That, to me, partially explains why Greenwald left The Intercept in such a hostile manner.

So what does all of that have to do with Elon Musk and Twitter?

Whitney thinks the same thing might be happening under Musk. Right now, the public confidence in the media and social media is about as bad as it gets. By doing what Elon is doing, all kinds of banned voices are coming back and trust in Twitter is rising. But if Twitter is a honeypot to entrap the people who can do real damage to the Predator Class, that would put Elon's poll to step down as CEO in an entirely new light. And since Elon gets a shitload of money from governments to do his different projects, including the transhumanism stuff, this is plausible to me.

I love what Elon is doing, but I can do that and still be wary of a trap. Real wary...

If you have the time, listen to Whitney. I will be writing a lot about her over time.

As an aside, I also love another woman's work, Cynthia Chung of The Rising Tide Foundation. It seems women around this age (thirties) are doing more in depth objective research into conspiracies than men are, but that might only be an impression I have.

Enjoy.

And, if you have the time and patience for longish interviews, get ready to be enthralled by one hell of a powerhouse of information. This interview is from two days ago.

Michael

Incidentally, now that I think about it, I don't buy that millions of people are voting in the majority against Elon in his poll.

There are far more people who love freedom of speech and individual rights than there are woke lefties or Establishment zombies.

He came up with this poll when he was in Qatar among gazillionaires the world over watching the World Cup.

Something smells bad...

Michael

Steve Bannon is not amused.

His Gettr post says:

Elon Musk goes to Qatar,the world’s capital of money-laundering, to beg for Arab money to infuse into the cash-burning crime scene called Twitter …of course they will demand new day-to-day management—so he puts it up to a vote of the left wing jackals 

Michael

11 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

There are only 14 tweets in this thread, so the simplified reading version should not be too long in coming.

Here it is.

1. THREAD: Twitter Files Supplemental 

2. In July of 2020, San Francisco FBI agent Elvis Chan tells Twitter executive Yoel Roth to expect written questions from the Foreign Influence Task Force (FITF), the inter-agency group that deals with cyber threats.

image.png

3. The questionnaire authors seem displeased with Twitter for implying, in a July 20th “DHS/ODNI/FBI/Industry briefing,” that “you indicated you had not observed much recent activity from official propaganda actors on your platform.”

image.png

4. One would think that would be good news. The agencies seemed to feel otherwise.

5. Chan underscored this: “There was quite a bit of discussion within the USIC to get clarifications from your company,” he wrote, referring to the United States Intelligence Community. 

6. The task force demanded to know how Twitter came to its unpopular conclusion. Oddly, it included a bibliography of public sources – including a Wall Street Journal article – attesting to the prevalence of foreign threats, as if to show Twitter they got it wrong. 

7. Roth, receiving the questions, circulated them with other company executives, and complained that he was “frankly perplexed by the requests here, which seem more like something we’d get from a congressional committee than the Bureau.”

image.png

8. He added he was not “comfortable with the Bureau (and by extension the IC) demanding written answers.” The idea of the FBI acting as conduit for the Intelligence Community is interesting, given that many agencies are barred from domestic operations. 

9. He then sent another note internally, saying the premise of the questions was “flawed,” because “we’ve been clear that official state propaganda is definitely a thing on Twitter.” Note the italics for emphasis.

image.png

10. Roth suggested they “get on the phone with Elvis ASAP and try to straighten this out,” to disabuse the agencies of any notion that state propaganda is not a “thing” on Twitter.

11. This exchange is odd among other things because some of the “bibliography” materials cited by the FITF are sourced to intelligence officials, who in turn cited the public sources. 

12. The FBI responded to Friday’s report by saying it “regularly engages with private sector entities to provide information specific to identified foreign malign influence actors’ subversive, undeclared, covert, or criminal activities.”

image.png

13. That may be true, but we haven’t seen that in the documents to date. Instead, we’ve mostly seen requests for moderation involving low-follower accounts belonging to ordinary Americans – and Billy Baldwin. 

14. Watch @bariweiss and @ShellenbergerMD for more from the Twitter Files.

Alex Bilzerian

image.png

END QUOTE

Well, now.

It just keeps getting worser and worser, doesn't it?

FBI's Elvis Chan is pissed that Twitter's Yoel Roth said "propaganda" about the government in a meeting with the FBI. And Roth got pissed right back.

What's worse, from what I can tell, they all liked it at the time of the meeting.

Anyway, the final message from the FBI to Twitter during this exchange back then is clear. Toe the line with the FBI and censor who they say goddammit or else. And stop saying propaganda.

Michael

• Upvote 1

Did hell just freeze over?

(This, shortly after Brook was having a conniption over Musk's Twitter poll:)

Either Brook is coming around, or even he can't deny the damning evidence coming out. (Though I have to admit, lest I be a hypocrite, to some sympathy with him over the poll business, after my own mini-rant about Musk playing games/"playing the game"...but then, I wasn't out there, like Brook was, condemning those who questioned the election results while downplaying the Hunter Biden laptop story, etc...)

TG,

What better for a dogmatic Randian than to be able to excuse a private company and blame a government?

From what I can tell from Brook's words, the only reason he is coming around to looking at the evidence from the Twitter dumps is that he can squeeze some of that evidence into a Randian box and put a bow on it.

Anyone who thinks Yuri Roth was not an evil control freak, but a victim instead, is blanking out huge chunks of reality from their perception. Don't forget, there were 6 and a half other Dumps before this one. Maybe Brook did not read any of them?

In fiction, people like Brook admit that a crony relationship between government and business is made up of TWO villains and no hero, after all, Rand wrote it that way. But I rarely see people like him blame a private company out here in reality for anything.

Also, before giving any weight to Brook's proclamations from on high about how awful Musk is at running his business, just imagine Twitter with Yaron Brook running it.

Go on, you can do it.

It's hard, I know, but I have faith in you.

How long would you give Twitter to exist under Brook? Even the engineering part?

Would you like to see a new world record set for human stampedes?

So I say look to someone who has the chops to criticize Elon, not to an ideologue who needs a pre-approved narrative before he can allow himself to see certain facts.

btw - The following comment is below the belt, but what the hell.

Did you see Brook imitate Trump in his rhetoric? That habit of ending a tweet with "Sad" was only done by Trump when he started his first campaign for president way back when. It's funny because the people who have most adopted that habit are almost all anti-Trumpers.

They may bitch about him, but they know their master.

As the saying goes, imitation is the best form of flattery.

Michael

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Part 7 of the Dump is out.

. . .

As usual, later I will do a more readable version.

Here it is.

Note: tweet thread numbers in parentheses with an asterisks were added by me.

Michael Shellenberger

1. TWITTER FILES: PART 7

The FBI & the Hunter Biden Laptop

How the FBI & intelligence community discredited factual information about Hunter Biden’s foreign business dealings both after and *before* The New York Post revealed the contents of his laptop on October 14, 2020 

(*2) In Twitter Files #6, we saw the FBI relentlessly seek to exercise influence over Twitter, including over its content, its users, and its data.

THREAD: The Twitter Files, Part Six

image.png

(*3) In Twitter Files #7, we present evidence pointing to an organized effort by representatives of the intelligence community (IC), aimed at senior executives at news and social media companies, to discredit leaked information about Hunter Biden before and after it was published. 

(*4) The story begins in December 2019 when a Delaware computer store owner named John Paul (J.P.) Mac Isaac contacts the FBI about a laptop that Hunter Biden had left with him

On Dec 9, 2019, the FBI issues a subpoena for, and takes, Hunter Biden's laptop.

Smoking-gun email reveals how Hunter Biden introduced Ukrainian businessman to VP dad

image.png

image.png

image.png

(*5) By Aug 2020, Mac Isaac still had not heard back from the FBI, even though he had discovered evidence of criminal activity. And so he emails Rudy Giuliani, who was under FBI surveillance at the time. In early Oct, Giuliani gives it to @nypost

image.png

Smoking-gun email reveals how Hunter Biden introduced Ukrainian businessman to VP dad

(*6) Shortly before 7 pm ET on October 13, Hunter Biden’s lawyer, George Mesires, emails JP Mac Isaac.

Hunter and Mesires had just learned from the New York Post that its story about the laptop would be published the next day.

image.png

7. At 9:22 pm ET (6:22 PT), FBI Special Agent Elvis Chan sends 10 documents to Twitter’s then-Head of Site Integrity, Yoel Roth, through Teleporter, a one-way communications channel from the FBI to Twitter.

image.png

8. The next day, October 14, 2020, The New York Post runs its explosive story revealing the business dealings of President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter. Every single fact in it was accurate.

image.png

9. And yet, within hours, Twitter and other social media companies censor the NY Post article, preventing it from spreading and, more importantly, undermining its credibility in the minds of many Americans.

Why is that? What, exactly, happened? 

10. On Dec 2, @mtaibbi described the debate inside Twitter over its decision to censor a wholly accurate article.

Since then, we have discovered new info that points to an organized effort by the intel community to influence Twitter & other platforms

Thread: THE TWITTER FILES

image.png

11. First, it's important to understand that Hunter Biden earned *tens of millions* of dollars in contracts with foreign businesses, including ones linked to China's government, for which Hunter offered no real work.

Here's an overview by investigative journalist @peterschweizer 

(NOTE FROM MSK: Sorry for showing the repeated tweets below. That's the only way I found to embed the video. Other videos in this thread will have the same treatment.)

12. And yet, during all of 2020, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies repeatedly primed Yoel Roth to dismiss reports of Hunter Biden’s laptop as a Russian “hack and leak” operation.

This is from a sworn declaration by Roth given in December 2020.

https://www.fec.gov/files/legal/murs/7827/7827_08.pdfchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svg

image.png

13. They did the same to Facebook, according to CEO Mark Zuckerberg. “The FBI basically came to us [and] was like, ‘Hey... you should be on high alert. We thought that there was a lot of Russian propaganda in 2016 election. There's about to be some kind of dump similar to that.'" 

(NOTE FROM MSK: Video below.)

14. Were the FBI warnings of a Russian hack-and-leak operation relating to Hunter Biden based on *any* new intel?

No, they weren't

“Through our investigations, we did not see any similar competing intrusions to what had happened in 2016,” admitted FBI agent Elvis Chan in Nov.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

15. Indeed, Twitter executives *repeatedly* reported very little Russian activity.

E.g., on Sept 24, 2020, Twitter told FBI it had removed 345 “largely inactive” accounts “linked to previous coordinated Russian hacking attempts.” They “had little reach & low follower accounts."

image.png

16. In fact, Twitter debunked false claims by journalists of foreign influence on its platform

"We haven’t seen any evidence to support that claim” by @oneunderscore__ @nbc News of foreign-controlled bots.

“Our review thus far shows a small-scale domestic troll effort…”

image.png

image.png

17. After FBI asks about a WaPo story on alleged foreign influence in a pro-Trump tweet, Twitter's Roth says, "The article makes a lot of insinuations... but we saw no evidence that that was the case here (and in fact, a lot of strong evidence pointing in the other direction).

image.png

image.png

18. It's not the first time that Twitter's Roth has pushed back against the FBI. In January 2020, Roth resisted FBI efforts to get Twitter to share data outside of the normal search warrant process.

image.png

image.png

19. Pressure had been growing:

“We have seen a sustained (If uncoordinated) effort by the IC [intelligence community] to push us to share more info & change our API policies. They are probing & pushing everywhere they can (including by whispering to congressional staff).”

image.png

20. Time and again, FBI asks Twitter for evidence of foreign influence & Twitter responds that they aren’t finding anything worth reporting.

“[W]e haven’t yet identified activity that we’d typically refer to you (or even flag as interesting in the foreign influence context).”

image.png

image.png

21. Despite Twitter’s pushback, the FBI repeatedly requests information from Twitter that Twitter has already made clear it will not share outside of normal legal channels.

image.png

22. Then, in July 2020, the FBI’s Elvis Chan arranges for temporary Top Secret security clearances for Twitter executives so that the FBI can share information about threats to the upcoming elections.

image.png

23. On August 11, 2020, the FBI's Chan shares information with Twitter's Roth relating to the Russian hacking organization, APT28, through the FBI's secure, one-way communications channel, Teleporter.

image.png

24. Recently, Yoel Roth told @karaswisher that he had been primed to think about the Russian hacking group APT28 before news of the Hunter Biden laptop came out.

When it did, Roth said, "It set off every single one of my finely tuned APT28 hack-and-leap campaign alarm bells." 

25. In Aug, 2020, FBI’s Chan asks Twitter: does anyone there have top secret clearance?

When someone mentions Jim Baker, Chan responds, "I don't know how I forgot him" — an odd claim, given Chan's job is to monitor Twitter, not to mention that they worked together at the FBI.

image.png

image.png

26. Who is Jim Baker? He's former general counsel of the FBI (2014-18) & one of the most powerful men in the U.S. intel community.

Baker has moved in and out of government for 30 years, serving stints at CNN, Bridgewater (a $140 billion asset management firm) and Brookings

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

27. As general counsel of the FBI, Baker played a central role in making the case internally for an investigation of Donald Trump

image.png

FBI Took Michael Sussmann’s Allegation of Trump-Russia Ties Seriously, Former Official Testifies

28. Baker wasn't the only senior FBI exec. involved in the Trump investigation to go to Twitter.

Dawn Burton, the former dep. chief of staff to FBI head James Comey, who initiated the investigation of Trump, joined Twitter in 2019 as director of strategy. 

29. As of 2020, there were so many former FBI employees — "Bu alumni" — working at Twitter that they had created their own private Slack channel and a crib sheet to onboard new FBI arrivals.

image.png

30. Efforts continued to influence Twitter's Yoel Roth.

In Sept 2020, Roth participated in an Aspen Institute “tabletop exercise” on a potential "Hack-and-Dump" operation relating to Hunter Biden

The goal was to shape how the media covered it — and how social media carried it

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

31. The organizer was Vivian Schiller, the fmr CEO of NPR, fmr head of news at Twitter; fmr Gen. mgr of NY Times; fmr Chief Digital Officer of NBC News

Attendees included Meta/FB's head of security policy and the top nat. sec. reporters for @nytimes @wapo and others

image.png

32. By mid-Sept, 2020, Chan & Roth had set up an encrypted messaging network so employees from FBI & Twitter could communicate.

They also agree to create a “virtual war room” for “all the [Internet] industry plus FBI and ODNI” [Office of the Director of National Intelligence].

image.png

image.png

33. Then, on Sept 15, 2020 the FBI’s Laura Dehmlow, who heads up the Foreign Influence Task Force, and Elvis Chan, request to give a classified briefing for Jim Baker, without any other Twitter staff, such as Yoel Roth, present.

image.png

34. On Oct 14, shortly after @nypost publishes its Hunter Biden laptop story, Roth says, “it isn’t clearly violative of our Hacked Materials Policy, nor is it clearly in violation of anything else," but adds, “this feels a lot like a somewhat subtle leak operation.”

image.png

35. In response to Roth, Baker repeatedly insists that the Hunter Biden materials were either faked, hacked, or both, and a violation of Twitter policy. Baker does so over email, and in a Google doc, on October 14 and 15.

image.png

image.png

image.png

36. And yet it's inconceivable Baker believed the Hunter Biden emails were either fake or hacked. The @nypost had included a picture of the receipt signed by Hunter Biden, and an FBI subpoena showed that the agency had taken possession of the laptop in December 2019.

image.png

image.png

image.png

37. As for the FBI, it likely would have taken a few *hours* for it to confirm that the laptop had belonged to Hunter Biden. Indeed, it only took a few days for journalist @peterschweizer to prove it.

38. By 10 am, Twitter execs had bought into a wild hack-and-dump story

“The suggestion from experts - which rings true - is there was a hack that happened separately, and they loaded the hacked materials on the laptop that magically appeared at a repair shop in Delaware”

image.png

39. At 3:38 pm that same day, October 14, Baker arranges a phone conversation with Matthew J. Perry in the Office of the General Counsel of the FBI

image.png

40. The influence operation persuaded Twitter execs that the Hunter Biden laptop did *not* come from a whistleblower.

One linked to a Hill article, based on a WaPo article, from Oct 15, which falsely suggested that Giuliani’s leak of the laptop had something to do with Russia.

image.png

image.png

image.png

41. There is evidence that FBI agents have warned elected officials of foreign influence with the primary goal of leaking the information to the news media. This is a political dirty trick used to create the perception of impropriety. 

42. In 2020, the FBI gave a briefing to Senator Grassley and Johnson, claiming evidence of “Russian interference” into their investigation of Hunter Biden.

The briefing angered the Senators, who say it was done to discredit their investigation.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/grassley_johnson_to_fbi_-_august_2020_briefing.pdfchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svgchrome-extension://gmpljdlgcdkljlppaekciacdmdlhfeon/images/beside-link-icon.svg

43. “The unnecessary FBI briefing provided the Democrats and liberal media the vehicle to spread their false narrative that our work advanced Russian disinformation.”

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

44. Notably, then-FBI General Counsel Jim Baker was investigated *twice,* in 2017 and 2019, for leaking information to the news media.

“You’re saying he’s under criminal investigation? That’s why you’re not letting him answer?” Meadows asked.

“Yes”

image.png

Ex-FBI general counsel faced criminal leak probe

45. In the end, the FBI's influence campaign aimed at executives at news media, Twitter, & other social media companies worked: they censored & discredited the Hunter Biden laptop story.

By Dec. 2020, Baker and his colleagues even sent a note of thanks to the FBI for its work.

image.png

46. The FBI’s influence campaign may have been helped by the fact that it was paying Twitter millions of dollars for its staff time.

“I am happy to report we have collected $3,415,323 since October 2019!” reports an associate of Jim Baker in early 2021.

image.png

47. And the pressure from the FBI on social media platforms continues

In Aug 2022, Twitter execs prepared for a meeting with the FBI, whose goal was “to convince us to produce on more FBI EDRs"

EDRs are an “emergency disclosure request,” a warrantless search.

image.png

(*48) In response to the Twitter Files revelation of high-level FBI agents at Twitter, @Jim_Jordan said, “I have concerns about whether the government was running a misinformation operation on We the People.”

image.png

Twitter’s top ranks riddled with ex-FBI employees

(*49) Anyone who reads the Twitter Files, regardless of their political orientation, should share those concerns.

/END 

END QUOTE

What a real pain in the patootie this one was to prepare.

But it was worth it.

Enjoy.

Michael

• Thanks 1

As we get closer and closer to the dam breaking open, Elon did another major shift in the ground of the Deep State.

There are three tweets below.

The major shift is in the third.

It's only a whistleblower kind of thing, but I have a whistle. Elon has a freaking blaring piercing thing that is heard around the world.

To start with, I was going to comment on Tweets 45 and 46 above about the government paying Twitter millions of dollars to censor people and things, but I first wanted to see if Elon was going to say something.

And sure enough he did.

And

And

Other social media companies got paid millions by the FBI to censor things, including the Hunter laptop information?

Heh...

We all know it, but now Elon is saying it out loud.

(moving chair closer)

Do tell...

Michael

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

In fiction, people like Brook admit that a crony relationship between government and business is made up of TWO villains and no hero, after all, Rand wrote it that way. But I rarely see people like him blame a private company out here in reality for anything.

I think you nailed it:

This is the first time I am embedding Twitter Spaces on OL, so let's see if it works.

Nope, Spaces does not embed, but the tweet with a link to a Spaces conversation does. Spaces is like a conference call between anyone who wants to--or is authorized to--join in. Elon did one a while back and there were over 100,000 people on that conference call. Obviously, there is a person controlling who can speak.

The gist of what I am embedding below is an hour-and-a-half live conference between Kim Dotcom and several other people that Elon follows and interacts with. They set up this Spaces conference to discuss the Part 8 of the Twitter Files Dump, the one involving the Pentagon.

During the first 28 minutes or so, all they talked about was how this one and that one kept getting muted anonymously by remote control. One would be talking and suddenly stop. The others would notice and comment on that. They concluded they were being attacked by people who did not want them to discuss this topic. So they recorded this and will be sending it to Elon and his peeps. If this is the Pentagon doing this malfeasance, this is an amazing piece of history to witness almost in real time.

I have not listened to the whole thing yet. I only listened up to the point where it looked like the problem got resolved (basically the first half-hour) and they started discussing the issue. I just wanted to get this up as soon as possible because of the timing.

I will give my impressions after I hear it.

Michael

As I am listening, everything was going smoothly after it got resolved. I even learned some interesting things like one of the people involved in controlling some of the bots assigned to the Pentagon was Adam Kissinger. I think I got that right. I do know he was discussed as being in charge of bots.

No wonder he was so bitter about leaving Congress.

But then, at about 1:11:00 or so, (maybe just a little later), the random muting of everyone started again.

I have about 15 minutes left to listen. More when I finish.

Michael

I finished the recording. During the last 5 or 6 minutes, the mute times got longer and the intensity of the muting increased.

Tom Fitton from Judicial Watch was on the conference. Kim asked him to open a new Spaces call under his own account and for everyone to migrate over there.

Here is the tweet of Tim Fitton's Spaces call. He recorded it and it is about two hours and twelve minutes long. I haven't listened to it yet. I hope this stuff stays up.

More later when I listen to it.

Michael