Donald Trump

Ha!

Trump just sent a letter to CNN's president, Jeff Zucker.

Trump said that CNN's ad selling prices went up 4,000% for the Republican primary debate because of him, and will go even higher, so Trump requests that all profits from this debate be donated to different Veterans groups.

:smile:

Gotta love how Trump becomes and stays a royal pain in the ass to the elites who feel most entitled.

Michael

Contrast and comparison, is at times a useful tool . Donald Trump vs. the Left.

"Issues" are what left-leaning people predominantly concentrate on. "Character" is the least of their concerns, invisible to them it seems. "Evil", doesn't exist to the Left (as Dennis Prager has insightfully observed) since they believe it is only 'circumstances' that make people "do wrong things".

Trump is refreshing in these regards. He obviously understands good character and puts store by it. He also rises above the issue of the day to see a bigger picture. As for a negotiator and deal maker...

A poker player is always very wary of another player who 'puts the read' on him better than he can be read, in return. It makes the difference between win and lose in a game, respective cards being quite secondary. If you can be pushed around more than you can do the pushing, you are going to come off last.

I would never like to sit in a game with Donald (aside from the matter of a 'slight' money edge, so I'll assume equal stacks and a table limit). I have the feeling he'd always see through me to call my every bluff and then frustratingly ditch every hand when I've got 'the nuts'.

Just my sixpence worth. ;)

Tony wrote, “I have the feeling he'd always see through me . . .”

I played some poker much earlier in my life, but I won’t play with a guy who talks and talks and is then constantly checking your reactions. It is cheating, though one step removed from a spy peering through a window with binoculars and reporting your cards to the cheat with the ear buds. I seem to remember Goldfinger doing that.

Ah...The Donald...

See folks just more depth to the man than those caricatures...

Still no takers on how he got that name  

http://www.openculture.com/2015/09/donald-trump-playing-film-critic-explains-the-lessons-at-the-heart-of-orson-welles-citizen-kane.htmlolitical ambitions.Above you can watch The Donald expound on Orson Welles’s masterpiece in a clip directed by none other than master documentary filmmaker Errol Morris. Trump is remarkably thoughtful in this piece compared to the campaign trail where he often sounds like a WWE barker channeling Mussolini. He comes to the movie from a vantage point that most of us just don’t have; namely, he knows what it’s like being obscenely wealthy. Citizen Kane is really about accumulation. And at the end of the accumulation, you see what happens. And it’s not necessarily all positive. I think you learn in Kane that maybe wealth isn’t everything. He had the wealth; he just didn’t have the happiness. The table getting larger and larger and larger with he and his wife getting further and further apart as he got wealthier and wealthier, perhaps I can understand that…. Wealth isolates you from other people.At the end of the piece, Morris asks Trump to give Kane some advice. His response, delivered with a smirk, is pure Trump – i.e. bombastic and misogynist. “Get yourself a different woman.”

Rolling Stone has a serious credibility problem nowadays (UVA gang rape thing), so presumably they got this on tape:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/donald-trump-rolling-stone-carly-fiorina/index.html

According to writer Paul Solotaroff, he was sitting with Trump watching a newscast when a video clip zoomed in on Fiorina.

"Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that?" Trump said to Solotaroff. "Can you imagine that, the face of our next president."

Trump added, "I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not s'posedta say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"

Hopefully he'll have serious arguments ready if/when he faces Hillary, survivor of (usually lethal) blows with the ugly stick.

Be careful, guys.

This could be another media trap that will end up bumping Trump's numbers.

But just so people remember, Trump did say this about Carly a month ago:

Michael

Oh God...

I smell a big media manipulation by Trump coming and, I believe, people are walking into it just like sheep to the slaughter.

Megyn Kelly has immediately taken up the mantle with Carly Fiorina (link to TheBlaze and video below): Carly Fiorina Responds to Comments Donald Trump Reportedly Made About Her Physical Appearance

Since when does Fox put on one of their top news shows that "XXX says YYY said something" and then ask for comments about what YYY is said to have said?

Get the popcorn, folks. This one promises to be very entertaining.

The damnedest thing is that this setup is so ragged, the kaboom is predictable. Let's see if I'm wrong.

Michael

I'm pretty sure The Donald didn't have anything to do with this 2010 video hitting the top trends on social media, but I am sure his followers did.

I'm not posting this as tit-for-tat. I'm curious to know if it will play any part in the upcoming kaboom. And I wonder what else is out there that will surface.

(munching popcorn...)

Michael

Be careful, guys.

This could be another media trap that will end up bumping Trump's numbers.

Or Fiorina's?

Ellen

Ellen,

Maybe.

I'm merely going on past patterns.

I haven't seen Carly successfully play media a manipulation game, at least not yet, and so far, I haven't seen Social Justice Warrior PC language outrage in the mainstream media damage Trump. On the contrary, a massive SJW attack has always been followed by a rise in Trump's poll numbers (immigrants, McCain, Megyn and so on).

But there might be a first time for anything.

Meanwhile, back at the CNN farm: Poll: Donald Trump surges to 32% support.

:)

Michael

Actually, I just saw an interview with Trump and Chris Cuomo and, if Carly presses this thing, it might damage her.

Donald Trump: I wasn't talking about Carly Fiorina's face

Trump said he was talking about her persona, not her looks. Then he went into a litany of criticism about Fiorina's business and political failures.

On an emotional level, so far most people haven't given much thought to Carly's past failures. But this outrage thing makes their lower emotional brains wake up and pay attention. At that moment, Trump sticks the knife in her reputation.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any detail right now, or even most. But I am saying this is an effective media technique for undermining the credibility of a competing candidate. (I'm learning some of this stuff just by observing it.)

It works like this.

1. Trump publicly explodes a surprising emotional issue that appears like a threat to a typical SJW victim.

2. The SJW brigade and pundits in general go crazy.

3. Trump claims there is no threat, that there was a misunderstanding by his accusers. And he gets some notable people to back him up.

4. While the public's brains are "hot," he throws in a bunch of negative facts about the target that have nothing to do with the perceived threat.

After the perceived threat dies down and fizzles out, the anchored negative facts and opinions tend to stick. On looking, I see that pattern in the past kerfuffles.

Michael

Actually, I just saw an interview with Trump and Chris Cuomo and, if Carly presses this thing, it might damage her.

Trump said he was talking about her persona, not her looks. Then he went into a litany of criticism about Fiorina's business and political failures.

On an emotional level, so far most people haven't given much thought to Carly's past failures. But this outrage thing makes their lower emotional brains wake up and pay attention. At that moment, Trump sticks the knife in her reputation.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with any detail right now, or even most. But I am saying this is an effective media technique for undermining the credibility of a competing candidate. (I'm learning some of this stuff just by observing it.)

It works like this.

1. Trump publicly explodes a surprising emotional issue that appears like a threat to a typical SJW victim.

3. Trump claims there is no threat, that there was a misunderstanding by his accusers. And he gets some notable people to back him up.

4. While the public's brains are "hot," he throws in a bunch of negative facts about the target that have nothing to do with the perceived threat.

After the perceived threat dies down and fizzles out, the anchored negative facts and opinions tend to stick. On looking, I see that pattern in the past kerfuffles.

Michael

Hopefully this will give Carly and her people the opportunity to mount a strong defense of her time at HP.

J

It works like this.

Michael

Yeah. His "depends what the meaning of is is" defense. Not buying it. He is a bully who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and can talk himself out of anything. This is what gets his juices flowing, he's been doing it his entire life. Not presidential material in my opinion.

Hopefully this will give Carly and her people the opportunity to mount a strong defense of her time at HP.

Jonathan,

If she keeps taking sideways snipes at Trump (like she has been for quite some time), she's going to need it. There's enough controversy surrounding her tenure at HP for Trump to bury her credibility with the public at large if he opens up on all stops.

I don't think her virtues include knowing how to win this kind of game. (Carly is far better at the backroom wars.) And Trump has been consistently winning at this public stuff ever since he decided to build skyscrapers in Manhattan. He has decades of experience in handling high-profile public attacks and coming out on top.

I root for Carly, too, because of her stated political views, but I think she's making a big mistake trying to play gunslinger. Besides, before she goes after Trump, she needs to get Ben Carson out of the way. Even should she turn a few Trump supporters around, which I don't predict will happen very much, they will tend to gravitate to No. 2, not to those lower.

Michael

Here's an indication of what I'm talking about--Trump on The View discussing precisely the Carly comment:

Where's the outrage?

It's just not there. It may have been there a little in the beginning, but not by the end.

And I guarantee you that some of those in the public who "woke up" because of the controversy now have a doubt about Carly's competence implanted in their subconscious.

But, from a Trump-takedown angle, it's a big fizzle. From the reactions of just about everyone, nobody acted like they thought Trump was making a schoolyard taunt of Carly's looks. On the contrary, they kept talking about how Trump is winning in the polls with Republican women.

Even Whoopi at the end acted like she wanted to persuade The Donald about Planned Parenthood, not take him out.

We can wait to see the results, but I doubt there will be any migration from Trump supporters to Carly. And I doubt there will be any drop in Trump supporters. On the contrary, I expect to see them increase.

Michael

Michael explained Trumpatation: 1. Trump publicly explodes a surprising emotional issue that appears like a threat to a typical SJW victim. 2. The SJW brigade and pundits in general go crazy. 3. Trump claims there is no threat, that there was a misunderstanding by his accusers. And he gets some notable people to back him up. 4. While the public's brains are "hot," he throws in a bunch of negative facts about the target that have nothing to do with the perceived threat.
end quote

I have a somewhat different view. Trump’s “look at her face,” lampooning of Carly is following sort of that pattern. Hers is not a normal face, whatever that is, but neither is his. Because Carly is not falling for his ruse, she WILL receive sympathy but not the backlash. That speaks volumes about her competency. But I will definitely watch for the pattern.

Peter,

Have you read much about John McCain in the news recently?

The pattern worked like hell with him.

Run it with what happened and you will see.

But notice that Trump generally counterpunches individuals, he rarely attacks outright. Ben Carson is learning that lesson right now.

Trump used to say good things about him. Carson decided to attack Trump on his faith. (I believe Carson was advised to do this because that is out of character for him.)

The reaction?

Trump said he never remembered Carson being a religious leader before the election, that he remembered an OK doctor, but anyway, Carson makes Jeb Bush look like the Energizer Bunny.

Michael

Jonathan,

If she keeps taking sideways snipes at Trump (like she has been for quite some time), she's going to need it. There's enough controversy surrounding her tenure at HP for Trump to bury her credibility with the public at large if he opens up on all stops.

I don't think her virtues include knowing how to win this kind of game. (Carly is far better at the backroom wars.) And Trump has been consistently winning at this public stuff ever since he decided to build skyscrapers in Manhattan. He has decades of experience in handling high-profile public attacks and coming out on top.

I root for Carly, too, because of her stated political views, but I think she's making a big mistake trying to play gunslinger. Besides, before she goes after Trump, she needs to get Ben Carson out of the way. Even should she turn a few Trump supporters around, which I don't predict will happen very much, they will tend to gravitate to No. 2, not to those lower.

Michael

I agree. The smartest thing that any of Trumps competitors could is to stay away from the issue of Trump. They can't win by playing his kind of game.

Jindal's attack today smelled like desperation.

J

It works like this.

Michael

Yeah. His "depends what the meaning of is is" defense. Not buying it. He is a bully who thinks he is smarter than everyone else and can talk himself out of anything. This is what gets his juices flowing, he's been doing it his entire life. Not presidential material in my opinion.

Obama is?

--Brant

bully is as bully does--I don't mean yakety yak

https://youtu.be/PtTC3pGBjs4

I had heard about it but for the first time I heard Louisiana's Governor Boggy Jingles call Trump an "egomaniac." I can't wait to hear Trumps reply. He also said Trump hasn't read the Bible. How do I know? Because he is not in the Bible.

Jingles just on Fox's Cavutto said Trump is a narcissist and dangerous. Hah, they just played Trump's response and he said he doesn't respond to people with less than one percent in the polls.

At least Jindal got a couple of tweets:

Maybe that will help Jindal's name recognition.

(Dayaamm! Too much temptation. And here I promised myself to not be catty when stumping for Trump... :smile: )

Michael

If anybody's interested, here is Trump this morning on Fox and Friends.

He actually had some good things to say about Carly. He thinks she must be a very nice person, but never met her.

He's doesn't like her work record, though. And he noticed her constant stream of nips at him, which (along with criticism by some other candidates) he attributes to a need to get attention in a crowded field.

Trump also said the Rolling Stone article was altered by the editor and the author called him to apologize. He mentioned the story reported he said some things that he did not, which was OK, but that he probably did say something like the comment reported about Carly. However, he says he was referring to her persona.

Michael

Here's what happened a few days ago (around Aug. 20). Let CNN tell you:

Does the RNC have a secret anti-Trump war room?

Well, between today and yesterday, we get the "said he said" in Rolling Stone Magazine followed by an attack on Trump by Carly, then attack by Ben Carson, then attack by Bobby Jindal.

Can anyone spell orchestrated?

I have a secret weapon to deal with you guys.

Don't you dare mess with my girls, either. They got an army of folks like me behind them.

And let's not forget, every one of you signed a pledge to support The Donald should he be nominated. How's that prospect working out for you?

Michael