Canadian Politics: Boring beyond Belief, or just Dull and Tedious?

caroljane

I stand in awe at the level of cluelessness...

These idiots in their lavish TV studio don't have to face 40 miles of trucks except on a TV monitor in a different country.

And they think that by broadcasting from a different country through a TV monitor, they can shame 40 miles of trucks into giving a rat's ass about what they think.

:)

btw - The term "heavy metal" keeps coming to mind. As in 40 miles of trucks is lots of metal that's pretty damn heavy. :) 

Imagine this. If you started at the beginning of the convoy, the convoy was stalled, and you drove at 60 miles an hour, it would take you 40 minutes to get to the end.

Man, that's awesome! Heavy-ass metal all the way.

Michael

I don't get the inside joke, but this is trending all over Twitter and people are laughing their asses off.

image.png

There's a hashtag with a huge growing number of tweets. Just click on it and it will take you to the Twitter thread.

#LetsGoBrenda

I went ahead and put in the smiley, but this smiley will mean a lot more after I get the friggin' joke.

Michael

Really cool video by Polly on the trucker convoy.

HDM9c.qR4e-small-Freedom-Convoy-Canadian
RUMBLE.COM

What a time to be alive! Me & the mister talk all things convoy & show lots of videos, etc from around the country. Get a tissue, you're going to tear up. ♥ My website is here: https://amazingpolly.ne

Lots of tears from her and even from some of the truckers.

Polly did mention something that is an interesting thought. She said there are too many establishment Trojan horse-like people (like Elon Musk) who have been defending the truckers since the beginning. And she finds that disturbing.

The reason she speculates is that the pro-establishment stuff is not longer getting people to show up, so this thing came up and the predator class saw an opportunity to use it. Hell, they maybe even created it.

But something magical happened. This exploded in their faces as real people started showing up along with cheerleaders. Now it has grown into something unmanageable for the predator class.

She thinks there will be infiltrators and fake news stories coming, but she's very emotional about how this is working out for the good guys.

She didn't say it, but this is making Canada more relevant to the world than it has been in decades. Truck convoys are now starting all over the world.

One comment from me--I can easily see the bad guys infiltrating. And I keep commenting on the big-ass trucks. One of the reasons is that I think this was a total miscalculation by any bad guys involved. You can sick the police and disruptive goons on a crowd.

What the hell are you going to send against 40 miles of big-ass trucks?

Tanks?

An army?

Man, that would give some optics, huh?

Michael

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I don't get the inside joke, but this is trending all over Twitter and people are laughing their asses off.

image.png

There's a hashtag with a huge growing number of tweets. Just click on it and it will take you to the Twitter thread.

#LetsGoBrenda

I went ahead and put in the smiley, but this smiley will mean a lot more after I get the friggin' joke.

Michael

This about sums it up:

12 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

As Phil Rizzuto might have said, "Holy Cow!"

Tell you one thing about Canadians.

They may not step up for a while but when they do step up, they will not stand down until the job is completed.

Da da Canada 

Nyet nyet Soviet 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

Tell you one thing about Canadians.

They may not step up for a while but when they do step up, they will not stand down until the job is completed.

Da da Canada 

Nyet nyet Soviet

"TAKE OFF!
TOO THE GREAT WHITE NORTH!
TAKE OFF!
IT'S A BEAUTY WAY TO GO!"

4 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

Trudeau/"Brenda" is doubling-down on his anti-convoy stance, adding that he prefers BLM?
I don't think he quite understands the severity of his situation...

video here:

*cough*followthemoney*cough...

"BLM Transfers Millions to Charity to Purchase Mansion Once Home to the Communist Party"

image.jpg?id=29198874&width=1200&coordin
WWW.LOUDERWITHCROWDER.COM

Recently examined records indicated the foundation transferred millions of dollars to a Canadian-based organization M4BJ run by the wife of...

8 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

This about sums it up:

TG,

So there is no Brenda? The inside joke is just a swipe at Trudeau's lack of manliness?

I did look up Brenda and Trudeau, and he appointed a Brenda as Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police about 3 years ago. But that's all I got. And that doesn't look relevant.

So I guess the one-dimensional thing is all it is.

As humor, I guess people like this one. But I'm a bit disappointed since it is so "on the nose." If Brenda is simply the female version of Brandon, thus saying Trudeau doesn't have the balls of Biden, this falls into the man slipping on a banana peel category of humor for me.

Besides, there's the ickiness factor. Whenever I think of Biden and manliness, I think of the visual he word-painted about the little black kids at the pool playing with the hair popping up on his bare legs as they dried off.

And that gives me vibes of pedophilia and, at root, grosses me out.

So in that sense, Brenda is actually a step up.

Er...

Has anybody noticed that I can get awfully complicated about simple shit?

Michael

• Smile 1

I was a municipal lifeguard one summer at the ‘southside’ pool, never ran into many Cornpops , it was a city pool , kids old even to have cars or had friends with cars didn’t exactly hang at the pool.

Had my first ‘save’ that year , we tried to keep the younger kids off the high dive . One little guy snuck up and jumped off , sunk like rock too scared to try to get back up , he was literally looking up at the stand . I got him up made sure he was ok and benched the crap out of him , in front of all his friends . He was ‘good’ for the rest of the summer .

A sudden departure of a federal party leader in Ottawa?

Yes, the parliamentary caucus of the Conservative Party of Canada has pulled the plug on Erin O'Toole.

Take that, Justin Trudeau!

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
6 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Yes, the parliamentary caucus of the Conservative Party of Canada has pulled the plug on Erin O'Toole.

What's the equivalent of RINO in Canadian politics?

It depends on your vantage. The voting was by secret ballot of the caucus. The voting was demanded by the party's own 'reform act,' and was triggered by 35 colleagues moving for the vote.

Erin O'Toole's challenge is the small-c conservative challenge -- there are no "ordinary" conservative voters. Not only are Canadian voters quite fickle federally, but "true blue" institutional Tory-ism has a slopover on the centre of the political dial. Because the traditional Tory fold (with its gradation of 'true blue' and Red Tories) had to hold part of the centre to win federally, those whose political stripe was more radical or neo-trad had to force the system to reckon with them.

Those were the years when the Progressive Conservatives lost voters to the Reform Party of Canada, who elected their own caucus to Parliament and had a vibrant and compelling voice in Preston Manning. 

Then came a jostling of the fundament -- the 'true blue' tectonic plate ground against the Reform tectonic plate. 

Long story short, the Stephen Harper wing of the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance Party of Canada, took in the lessons of the Chretien/Martin deficit-busting Liberal years and got married to the Alberta Effect.  

Two majorities later, Harper had effectively killed off major social reform of the Reform wing: no abortion law, no retrenchment on gay marriage ... and the splits began once more to hasten another bout of How Conservatives Get Together Without Killing Each Other's Dreams ...

Trudeau was said to be "just not ready," which was more than fair a point, but then again, Trudeau won a majority. 

Meanwhile what kind of Alberta Effect/Reform Conservative grinding was going on?

Well, former Conservative, now leader of the no-caucus Parti Populaire du Canada/People's Party of Canada (PPC), Quebec-based former cabinet minister and federal honcho Maxime Bernier started off his more radical party in 2018.

Over in the motherland of Canadian political parties, a similar tension within the broadest conservative tent has thrown up all sorts of thrilling libertarian options (Alberta Party, Wild Rose) and more recent Neo-Trad options, such as Wexit and the Maverick Party of Alberta. 

I'll mention the name of the current governing party in Edmonton: The United Conservative Party. Currently polling in the mid twenties ... How'd Uniting the Right Work Out, Jason?

Anyway, the Conservative Reform Alliance of True Blue Radical Red Tory Maverick Wild Rose People will RISE AGAIN!

That's just the logic of the ferment of the most boring of politics, Canadian politics. Trudeau's government could fall between now and then, and the Conservative/whatever Party will then win. It's in the nature of a federal parliamentary system that the house of power be cleaned of its previous owners while the previous owners try to cobble together a winning alliance. 

The smartest thing for the CPC to do -- in terms of sheer political calculation -- is to elect Poilievre and crash Bernier's party by getting him back in under a 'newly radical' tent of Conservatives. To harry Trudeau and to remove his lustre.

Sorry for the rambling. The TL;DR: is that it's not easy to compare federal bi-cameral two-party legislative politics in the US with the more fluid ferment and tectonics of Canada's battles for the House. At best you will come away with a vague impression that O'Toole is a special failure. 

Beyond this point, only masochists ...

Spoiler

IMO, O'Toole had the same problems as Scheer: it is almost impossible to square the circle without long-term planning and concerted power. Scheer could not prevent Bernier's departure. O'Toole could not gain the kind of power over his caucus that Stephen Harper could for many years.

Squaring the circle is 'occupying' just enough of the centre to defeat the Liberals, without losing the motive power of its 'People'-ish components. 

As a special treat, here is Preston Manning speaking French. 

Just kidding. The guy almost did learn French as leader of the Reform Party (and Opposition Leader) and yes he sounded Florence Foster Jenkins in both languages. He was there on referendum night in 1995.

He and his party have left the Manning mark on Canada -- in my eyes by forcing the Liberal Party to the right on matters fiscal and monetary, by the force of his constitutional arguments.

bOrInG!!

Desiderata:

Between 1935 and 1971, the Social Credit Party of Alberta ruled the province.  Preston Manning's father Ernest Manning was the Social Credit Premier for twenty-five years straight.

Kind of a way more bizarre and successful Ron Paul, with Preston being a much more consequential statesman son Rand.

Edited by william.scherk
Too Long; Didn't Read: Grammar, examples added; neo-trad instead of non/Trad; added desiderata.

2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

It depends on your vantage. The voting was by secret ballot of the caucus.

William,

I was more interested in what the candidate stood for than the voting method, tactics for winning and so on as you laid out in your post.

You alluded to the "stand for" part in the hidden part of your post when you mentioned "long-term planning and concerted power" and "'People'-ish components."

But from the tone, you seem to be having difficulty with the concept that "people-ish" people want a say in who rules them, so I don't know if I can get my perspective across in terms you will understand on an idea level.

So let's put it by analogy. Here in the US, one can bash the Republicans, but the bashing will always fall flat when one treats the sleaze of Mitt Romney as the equivalent of what Trump stands for.

Both are Republicans, but Romney is for cheating, keeping rulers in place the people despise, and gaming the government system so gobs of money always flows up to the ruling class predators, while Trump is "people-ish."

The term "RINO" reflects that difference.

I, for one, will never feel bad when someone bashes Mitt Romney or Liz Cheney or the Bill Kristol type, even if they use the term Republican to do so. But if they point to a shortcoming or failure by Romney (or similar) and use that to criticize Trump, I start getting the feeling they don't understand the issue or are futzing around.

So, to my point, I was not interested in the technicalities of the Canadian voting system, but just curious if there was a way to differentiate between sleazy ruling class predators on the conservative side and the more freedom-loving "people-ish" conservatives.

I like Marc's "CINO." It's not conservative-centric, but in fundaments, it nails what I was asking about.

Michael

• Upvote 1