Coronavirus

Peter

My granddaughter who is ten years old won the essay contest at the local VFW. Peter 

These Times We Live In By: Elizabeth Lovell

Today my world feels strange because I feel like there is a wall between me and everyone else. That wall is the virus outbreak. This caused the canceling of school and my dance lessons and everything else I know. I see people all around me, mouths and noses covered with a mask. Recently, we were all told to stay inside as much as possible, the only reasons to leave is to buy essentials like toilet paper, goods, and visits to the doctor. Because of this, we have online schooling. It’s much different than what I know. Also, people who work at big corporate businesses have Zoom conferences. I’m starting to develop a fear. Someone could hack into my schooling account and maybe even get me expelled, even when I did nothing wrong!   

The media’s gone insane, too, it seems, posting up things like YouTube videos on how to make a face mask in under five minutes to live conferences with the president, Donald Trump. Every day, people are dying like crazy from the virus, the death levels rise to even greater amounts, past what I think the world should be handling. Now that we’re all told to wear face masks, I’ve even heard people protesting, saying they won’t wear a mask.

Meanwhile, I’m just another person, like everyone else, stuck in quarantine. It’s not all bad, though. I’ve found ways to make it through. I’m watching YouTube a lot, along with watching episodes of my favorite TV show.  Trust me, that show has a lot of episodes! I’m also trying to read more books. I have recently ordered books in the mail, some novella collections and another book.

Still, I feel a big wall between me and my friends. Will we ever figure out a way to break this wall between me and the rest of the world, or is this how it will be in the future? Only time can tell. Will we ever get a vaccine for COVID-19, or are we doomed to live a future like this? Again, only time can tell. It’s a working effort, and no matter how big or small, if you’re a boy or a girl, or what you believe in, you can still pitch in a little by listening to the guidelines. But, these are the times we live in. We don’t get to choose what time has in store for us. We can only accept, solve, and move on, taking that knowledge that we gathered from that experience to help solve the other things that time has in store for us. And I just think that time has a solution to this problem. 

5 hours ago, anthony said:

One can't put a price on a life - but grim statistics remind one that mega-deaths across continents are the norm ... by any cause. That's fact.

I am sure this is dumb and repetitive, Anthony, but go with the local coronavirus news, listen to doctors (we have several who routinely come on TV to talk about it), look at sites with coronavirus info, click on your local covid news and see if it carries on AS TRUE into the national media. I realize the number of unreported cases could be zero . . .  or millions by the end of the year. But I am thinking more in terms of millions based on my chain of logical observations.

In the mean time we have individual states relaxing the distancing laws and opening up business. And those places will serve as testing grounds. Me? I am wearing a mask and keeping my distance. I will be going to the local dump today and maybe stop in at a small Pet Smart store for animal food, always keeping my distance. If the change is less than five bucks I tell them to keep the change. Or when I use a credit card I am very careful with it and wash my hands more than once when I get home. How are things in South Africa?

And this is no joke but a message alert just popped up on my computer asking if anyone knows where they could buy a half bushel of crabs for a family dinner. Now, crabs are a disgusting looking food but they taste goooood!  Peter  

Selective, non - consecutive quotes from OPAR by Leonard Peikoff and Ayn Rand, pages 112-120. According to Objectivism, epistemology is necessary for practical purposes, as a guide to man in the proper use of his conceptual faculty. We are ready to concretize this claim. We can now begin to identify the rules men must follow in their thinking if knowledge, rather than error or delusion, is their goal.

These rules can be condensed into one general principle: thinking, to be valid, must adhere to reality. Or, in the memorable words of the old "Dragnet" TV series, which can serve as the motto of all reality-oriented thought: "Just give us the facts, ma'am." But how does one reach "just the facts"? The answer lies in the concept of *objectivity*; it requires that one grasp the full philosophic meaning and implications of this concept.

When you grasp this concept, you will have an invaluable tool enabling you to assess and, if necessary, improve the quality of your own thinking. You will also understand why, out of all the possibilities, Ayn Rand chose to call her philosophy, "Objectivism."

.  .  .  Since definitions ‘are' condensations of observed data, however, they are determined by such data; they are not arbitrary; they flow from the facts of the case. In this respect, as we have seen, definitions are "empirical" statements, and reality *is* the standard of what is essential.

Definitions are statements of factual data - as condensed by a human consciousness in accordance with the needs of a human method of cognition. Like concepts, therefore, essences are products of a volitional relationship between existence and consciousness, they too (properly formed) are *objective.*

.  .  .  As Miss Rand points out, it is mandatory to conceptualize certain types of concretes, including:

(a) the perceptual concretes with which men deal daily, represented by the first level of abstractions; (b) new discoveries of science; ( c )  new man-made objects which differ in their essential characteristics from the previously known objects (e.g., "television"); (d) complex human relationships involving combinations of physical and psychological behavior (e.g., "marriage," "law," "justice").

These four categories represent existents with which men have to deal constantly, in many different contexts, from many different aspects, either in daily physical action or, more crucially, in mental action and further study. The mental weight of carrying these existents in one's head by means of perceptual images or lengthy verbal descriptions is such that no human mind could handle it. The need of condensation, of unit-reduction, is obvious in such cases.

. . .  "Proof" is the process of establishing truth by reducing a proposition to axioms, i.e. ultimately, to sensory evidence. Such reduction is the only means man has of discovering the relationship between nonaxiomatic propositions and the facts of reality. end of quotes

Is everybody part of a conspiracy? Queue the X-Files music. Do do do do, do do do do. I typed in the buzz words and got this. Peter

Coronavirus: The different approaches to lockdowns in Africa By Christopher Giles and Peter Mwai BBC Reality Check 26 April 2020 . . . . The South African government has said it will gradually ease the lockdown from 30 April, but is currently enforcing one of the harshest lockdowns anywhere in the world. It has closed schools and universities, limited hospital and prison visits, and restricted movement to key workers. All public gatherings apart from funerals are banned - and the army have been deployed to enforce it . . . .

Australia Launches Controversial COVID-19 Tracking App as Some States Start Easing Rules By Reuters, Wire Service ContentApril 26, 2020, at 2:59 a.m . . . . Australia and neighbouring New Zealand have both managed to get their coronavirus outbreaks under control before it strained public health systems, but officials in both two countries continue to worry about the risk of another flareup.

"We are winning, but we have not yet won," Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt said at a televised briefing announcing the app's launch

The app, which is based on Singapore's TraceTogether software, uses Bluetooth signals to log when people have been close to one another. It has been criticised by civil liberties groups as an invasion of privacy. [nL4N2C50CL The Australian government, which wants at least 40% of the population to sign up to make the effort effective, said the voluntary app, which would not track location, is safe. The app's stored contact data will enable health officials to trace people potentially exposed to infections.

"It will help us as we seek to return to normal and the Australian way of life," Hunt said. "No one has access to that, not even yourself ... only a state public health official can be given access to that data."

It really breaks my heart to see so many people juiced up so strongly on anxiety right now. Everything starts to get better the day you stop letting them manipulate you by simply ending your consumption of their mind control systems. You can keep telling yourself you are straining out the truth and tossing the toxic but none of the truth is there in the first place and therefore cannot be strained out no matter how good you think you may be at such. Only closing access to you will work.

15 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

It really breaks my heart to see so many people juiced up so strongly on anxiety right now. Everything starts to get better the day you stop letting them manipulate you by simply ending your consumption of their mind control systems. You can keep telling yourself you are straining out the truth and tossing the toxic but none of the truth is there in the first place and therefore cannot be strained out no matter how good you think you may be at such. Only closing access to you will work.

Unfortunately, even if people do free their mind from the media manipulation, they still have to contend with those who can't or won't, or worse, endorse it. That's the sticky wicket.

• Like 1

A terrorist is top dog at Bill Gates' W.H.O.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/who-chief-tedros-questionable-past-coronavirus

"Tedros was one of the top three members of the TPLF

"The United States State Department has categorized TPLF as a terrorist organization due to its "violent activities before it became part of the ruling coalition and the government of Ethiopia in May 1991."

1 hour ago, anthony said:

Congrats to your talented, perceptive grand-daughter, Peter.

Thanks, Anthony.

From USA Today. Coronavirus live updates: U.S. reaches 'plateau,' nears 1 million cases; last patient leaves hospital in Wuhan John Bacon, USA TODAY 3 hrs ago

It’s 5:42 pm here, EST. What crap there is coming out of communist Wuhan China. “Last person leaves hospital.” And us saying “Plateau?” I don’t know about that. The facts will tell. Show me your badge! The USA has revised the timeline and is saying the first confirmed case was in Washington state in mid-January, 2020.

I hope everyone who is fearless and covered in Teflon goes out and mingles. I am about a mile away from Sussex County, Delaware which has had 1,801 cases and 43 deaths. And Sussex is a small county. I live just across the border in Worcester County, Maryland, home of the resort Ocean City, and we have had a mere 48 cases and zero deaths. Hoorah! But just one county north of us is Wicomico County, MD and it has had 270 cases and 4 deaths.

I went to the county dump today and it was busy. At the pet supply shop it had a few people in it and perhaps 3 workers. I wore my mask and washed my hands when I got home. The mask smells like linens and makes me sweat around the nose and breath harder just to get the same amount of oxygen. 

A tale of two doctors:

“Dr. Fauci Gave $3.7 Million to Wuhan Laboratory… Something Is Going On” – Rudy Giuliani Drops a Bomb on NIAID Director Dr. Tony Fauci
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/dr-fauci-gave-3-7-million-wuhan-laboratory-something-going-rudy-giuliani-drops-bomb-niaid-director-dr-tony-fauci/

"https://twitter.com/99freemind/status/1254546220732817408?s=20"Deborah Birx approved a 66% increase in PEPFAR funding to Ukraine in 2019! Guess who she sent the money to? Marie Yovanovich, impeachment witness!"

People keep asking why Trump is keeping them around...why, indeed...
(Inquiring minds want to know...)

• Like 1

ThatGuy wrote, “People keep asking why Trump is keeping them around...why, indeed... (Inquiring minds want to know...)”

I will wait to see if that “fact or speculation” tars President Trump. In Ye Olde Elizabethan English “woohan” means dirty rotten scoundrels. Joke.

From Bloomberg just now. U.S. Could Be Weeks From Meat Shortages With Shutdowns Spreading.

Say it isn’t so Joe! No quarter pounders? I suggest deviled ham, chicken and beef, tuna in a can, and Spam. The type with bacon is interesting, and all Spam is better if fried first. Freeze some bread for later defrosting. And then there’s your basic chili, spaghetti, and ravioli in a can. Saltines and peanut butter of course, can tide you over, and both last a long time without refrigeration. Any other suggestions? 

16 hours ago, ThatGuy said:

“Dr. Fauci Gave $3.7 Million to Wuhan Laboratory…
"Deborah Birx approved a 66% increase in PEPFAR funding to Ukraine in 2019! Guess who she sent the money to? Marie Yovanovich, impeachment witness!"

People keep asking why Trump is keeping them around...why, indeed...

Because they deserve it. They earned being exposed as criminals and being forced to stand up and do more briefings. We deserve the truth about who unleashed this thing on us and maybe they are the perfect candidates for explaining all that.

• Like 1

The chairman of Harvard's biological chemistry department, Charles Lieber, received millions of dollars from Wuhan University for work as a "strategic scientist."

He hid the work and money. He lied to the Department of Defense about the work. He was arrested and charged a few months ago.

His Lieber Research Group at Harvard University received more than $15,000,000 in grant funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) where Dr. Fauci is director of NIAID.

A lot of people and institutions have a lot of explaining to do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Jules,

I want to make a quip, but man, this comment is ripe for me to potentially stomp on my... er... you know...

🙂

At least I can say happy birthday.

So here goes.

Happy birthday, Jules!

🙂 

Michael

Haha! No pinch to grow an inch for me!  Thanks man, will let you know my test results!

H.B! JT. 

On local TV and I think Fox they were talking about replacing the handshake with something else. An elbow bump? I prefer we go Charlie Chan and say "Ah so," with a slight incline of the head.   

• Thanks 1

I am doing the calculations for the percent of deaths so feel free to double check me. Peter

From MSN News, Coronavirus. April 28, 2020 11am.

World-wide: 3,062,557 cases

212,221 deaths

0.0692953633 or a 7 percent world-wide death rate

United States:1,011,006 cases

56,752 deaths

0.0561341871 or 5.6 percent U.S. death rate

I didn't use a calculator but it looks like one in three Coronavirus cases are in the U.S. which I think is an error due to America's "truthiness," medical system reporting and sharing of information, and freedom of the press and internet. 

No lockdown here: Sweden defends its more relaxed coronavirus strategy. Published Mon, Mar 30 20205:48 AM EDTUpdated Mon, Mar 30 20204:04 PM EDT by Holly EllYatt Unlike its immediate neighbors Denmark, Finland and Norway, Sweden has not closed its borders or its schools; neither has it closed non-essential businesses or banned gatherings of more than two people, like the U.K. and Germany. end quote

I thought I would check on Sweden, which is around the same size as Switzerland but with different, less stringent policies.

2,355 deaths in Sweden and 19,621 cases

0.120024464 or around a 12 percent death rate.

Switzerland with a lockdown. 1523 deaths and 29,264 cases

0.0520434664 or around a 5 percent death rate.

Feel free to check my “facts” and math but it appears that Sweden’s 12 percent death rate, even with socialized, universal medicine is much higher than the comparatively sized and industrialized country, Switzerland.

5 percent? 12 percent but with “herd immunity.? Do you want to risk it? Long term? I think I would wait for a vaccine, but quarantining is claustrophobic, confining, and not something I want to continue doing. I can still remember getting the chicken pox when I was 3 or 4 and FINALLY being able to go outside and stand in the sun. It felt exhilarating. And I don’t cotton to the idea that getting the virus once does not necessarily mean you won’t get the coronavirus again if you are dumb enough to re-contract it. Peter