Coronavirus

Peter

I hereby Grant Jules Troy, because of his unfailing intelligence, immunity from all prosecution. Looking for subject matter containing the word, “epidemic,” I found some. Et (and) voila! (bingo) mon sewer, as John Wayne would say. Peter

Barbara's lecture delivered in 2006 at The Atlas Society summer conference (the link, posted elsewhere on OL by Ed Hudgins, to this article on The Atlas Society's own website has been broken). Objectivism and Rage by Barbara Branden A lecture presented at the TAS 2006 Summer Seminar, July 4, 2006, Chapman University, Orange, CA: Of course, there are Objectivists who come to this philosophy in search of a new religion, a dogma they can blindly follow, a set of rules that will bring them the certainty they require, eager to lose their blemished selves, their sense of personal failure, in something larger than themselves. These are the true believers of Objectivism and they are epidemic in every intellectual movement, whether the movement be philosophical or religious, social or political—whether it upholds reason or mysticism, freedom or force, the individual or the collective. Any vital new philosophical system will attract true believers. The psychological needs that normally draw a man to faith and force may instead lead him to stumble into a philosophy of reason and seek his fulfillment there. But what he is seeking is not reason, it is not knowledge; he seeks a holy cause to which he can submit himself, he renounces intellectual independence and its attendant doubts, uncertainties, and errors—he renounces spiritual struggle and the sense of wonder—for the certitude of dogma and faith.

Neil Goodell Subject: OWL: Re: Citizenship/Immigration Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:35:11 -0600 . . . . The initiation of force can take many forms Joe. Some are obvious such as battery or theft. Others are more subtle and require scratching a bit below the surface to understand the implications of an action, such as with immigration.

Joe Duarte  wrote, “You seem to be implying that my unfettered freedom to associate with foreigners constitutes a potential violation of your rights. But I don't see why.”

Because your "unfettered freedom to associate with foreigners" might very well cause an epidemic and kill thousands of innocent people, or require that other innocent citizens be enslaved to pay for jail space, food, etc., for all the immigrant people whom you want to have "unfettered" access to your house. Remember Joe, your freedom stops at your property line. --Neil

George H. Smith Subject: ATL: Re: Belief and Wisdom Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:56:42 -0500 . . . . For example, our word "influenza" (from "influentia," i.e., "influence") comes from "the fact that epidemics were formerly attributed  to the influence of the stars" (*The Merriam-Webster New Book of Word Histories"*). But when I say I have the flu this doesn't mean I believe my illness was caused by the stars. Nor is there some kind of lesson to be learned here(other than a purely historical one), much less a profound one. Similarly, the word "bonfire" derives from Middle English; it literally meant a fire made of bones. So what kind of esoteric philosophical insight can we gain from etymological knowledge of this kind? None whatsoever. But if I were in the mood to do a parody of Jason, it would be very easy to engage in some "word magic" and arrive at some supposedly profound conclusions.

This is a game for fools, quacks, and foolish quacks. Words are important for communication and the ordering of our concepts -- but it is the concepts, not their names, that are of fundamental importance to philosophy. The supposed utility of a neologism must always be weighed against the obstacles to communication that it will invariably create, and only rarely do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. 

14 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

Erm..I’m actually staying at home Peter..

"Erm," did I make you squirm? Add five more rhyming syliibels. SP? Your posts are good. Zzzzz. Been binge watching House of Cards.

U.S. 1,276,118 cases. Deaths 75,991

0.0595485684 or nearly 6 percent

World wide. 3,784,085 cases

Deaths 264,679

0.0699453104 or nearly 7 percent.

From Johns Hopkins.

Country

Confirmed

Deaths

Case-Fatality

Deaths/100k pop.

US

6.0%

United Kingdom

14.9%

Italy

13.8%

Spain

11.7%

France

14.8%

Brazil

6.8%

Belgium

16.4%

Germany

4.3%

Iran

6.3%

Netherlands

12.6%

China

5.5%

Back on April 28th there was a 7 percent world-wide death rate and a 5.6 percent U.S. death rate.

edit. They are thinking there is a correlation between coronavirus death rates and vitamin D deficiency but it is not confirmed yet . . . but why not take some anyway? The VA has recommended 2000 I.U.'s for me for several years and I take it faithfully.  

21 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

I think they would find my home empty. I think I would hide the children with friends, go off the radar and set about one by one following all complying County employees home or to the store or into the restrooms at the mall, and kill them there.

Conspiracy to commit murder...nice.

56 minutes ago, Jules Troy said:

I say what I would do, alone. And you complain of my “conspiracy.”

Good to see you are as stupid as ever, Jules.

Why don’t you answer the hypothetical for yourself?

Ventura County officials “will have to take your children from your home to isolate them.”

So far you’ve bitched like a girl about someone else’s strong reaction to said hypothetical tyranny. What else would you do?

8 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

On 5/7/2020 at 11:26 AM, Jon Letendre said:

I think they would find my home empty. I think I would hide the children with friends, go off the radar and set about one by one following all complying County employees home or to the store or into the restrooms at the mall, and kill them there.

I would just cut their face. 

--Brant

Yeah, cut their faces … in half, with a shotgun.

Just like Dagny and the guard with his "orders."

Can you imagine if authorities had come to her house … to take her and Galt's children? Would she have exchanged any words at all, given any warnings at all? Would Ragnar be right or wrong in intercepting and extinguishing?

• Like 1

Who here would give them the benefit of the doubt and hand over their children "to be isolated"?

It's all a big damn scam, snap out of it!

Listen to this doctor … 

It may not play here.
It plays for me when I click Philip's picture and scroll down to the Tweet.

Ayn Rand was explicitly asked, in the long slow decline of a civilization, when is it moral to switch to violence. She said not while there is still free speech.

Granted, Doctor Barkey is freely speaking in public, but he also says that he and "thousands of physicians across the country whose voices are being silenced" [in other forums].

So, what's the morality for Doctor Barkey should authorities come for his children, "to isolate them"?

Does he call the authorities? That's who is coming for his children in the first place, over a scam, and that's who is silencing his voice when he shares truths.

They are on the way.

4 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Yeah, cut their faces … in half, with a shotgun.

Just like Dagny and the guard with his "orders."

Can you imagine if authorities had come to her house … to take her and Galt's children? Would she have exchanged any words at all, given any warnings at all? Would Ragnar be right or wrong in intercepting and extinguishing?

That's interesting. Never once did I ever think of them having children.

--Brant

Trying to take a person’s kids to isolate them? They are already isolated in the household.  Tooooooo Gestapo for me.   Butttt going out to actively hunt down and kill uncivil servants?  Glad the border is closed...Happy hunting Jon.

2 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

Trying to take a person’s kids to isolate them? They are already isolated in the household.  Tooooooo Gestapo for me.   Butttt going out to actively hunt down and kill uncivil servants?  Glad the border is closed...Happy hunting Jon.

You haven’t dealt with the hypothetical. They are already isolated? What is that supposed to mean, dumbass? Did you watch the Ventura County video? Do you understand that they’re  coming for your kids, to take them away? They’re not leaving you alone when you point out that you can isolate them yourself — do you get that fundamental point, shit-for-brains?

Now then. They are almost at your home. They are going to take your children. That’s tooooooooo Gestapo for you. What happens next?

I’m not in California, either. Thank you for settling that you have no better response to the hypothetical, indeed you have no response to it at all. Again you demonstrate that you can neither think nor cogently express your thoughts, but can only make mindless critical comments and can never follow them up with anything. You have a vague concern for the safety of authorities performing their official function of rounding up people’s children, and nothing more. 

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

per the net. 11 Secret Service agents have IT.

Per Yahoo News .  . . According to the DHS document, along with the 11 active cases there are 23 members of the Secret Service who have recovered from COVID-19 and an additional 60 employees who are self-quarantining. No details have been provided about which members of the Secret Service are infected or if any have recently been on detail with the president or vice president . . . .

The Not So Secret Service? I still do not know anyone who has it, but the cases in my county are close to one hundred and in nearby Sussex County Delaware there are or were 2,834 cases and 79 deaths. Many of the dead worked in chicken packing plants.

Two days ago I was in the Walgreens near Fenwick Island in Sussex County Delaware to pick up a prescription and the clerks and I were all wearing masks and there were a few other customers wearing masks. It was “business as usual.” Imagine opening up the schools and one kid on a bus infects twenty others, who infect twenty others, who . . . . Peter