Coronavirus

Peter

2 hours ago, merjet said:

Nothing at all with what you have written??

Merlin,

Nothing at all.

The rest of your post didn't support your misrepresentation of what I said. It debunked it.

Come on, man. Track a little better...

When I do this abstractly, it's kinda funny.

ME: XXX.

MERLIN: You said YYY. Ha! Gotcha.

ME: Nope. I have no idea what you are talking about.

MERLIN: No? You said XXX. With scorn. You need to explain yourself.

:) 

Michael

5 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Check out the comments.  Not favorable to Trump.

Ellen,

You just walked into a Twitter trap.

TG posted a link to a tweet by Kyle Griffin. Here it is embedded.

And who is Kyle Griffin? He's the senior producer of Lawrence O'Donnell's show, The Last Word, over at MSNBC. The people making the comments on that thread are mostly those who like MSNBC and despise President Trump.

Check out the comments to the actual tweet in reference by President Trump.

The bulk of those comments--gushing about President Trump or supporting him--will probably be a little more reassuring. (The trolls are pretty easy to spot, too.)

Don't worry about this mistake. I've made it several times and had to learn the hard way to hover over the name or picture of the person making the tweet to see his or her nutshell profile to make sure I know who is actually tweeting.

In the rapid-fire state of mind Twitter use induces, it's easy to miss the frame and accept something at what appears to be face value. 

Besides, things are not always what they seem on Twitter.

Michael

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 2:49 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The scariest thing, to me, about the coronavirus situation is the ease and quickness with which the economy was damaged.

This scares me, too.

Granted, this is Great Britain and the mouth on that homeowner makes it kinda funny. But the damage to his home over nothing was not funny to him. And when the police are sanctioned to use this kind of force to check out social gatherings, this kind of thing grows.

Take a look at the expression on this cop's face as he stands there without moving while being cussed out.

image.png

If the police power grows that way, if not halted, does anyone think this cop will just stand there next time?

Michael

• Like 1

While I wonder what the legal authority was, the Nazis had all of that they needed once Hitler took over Germany.

It's much too dangerous for cops to do that in most of the US. It's not only the need for warrants but they might get shot.

The Fourth Amendment to the Constitution covers warrants. That Amendment was in response to what had happened to John Wilkes in England in the 1760s. His home was invaded and ransacked by police that make these current jokers look like pussies.

William Pitt (respecting excise taxes justifying warrantless searches and/or the use of general warrants):

"The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter -- all his force dare not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement!"

The problem with England is both the lack of a written Constitution and William Pitt is dead. At least we have the former if not the latter.

--Brant

On April 13, 2020 at 9:37 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Ellen,

You just walked into a Twitter trap.

Michael,

I wasn't expecting the comments to be favorable.  I knew that Kyle Griffin is no fan of Trump's.  I was just highlighting a preview of leftist reaction if Trump did fire Fauci.  Sorry for the unclarity.

Ellen

“Ever since National Guards started to activate countrywide, Pentagon officials have insisted that men and women in uniform are not conducting secret missions.

“Federal officials in the nation's capital expect a New York-like epidemic in the District, Maryland and Virginia, one that could potentially cripple the government.

But a little-known military task force charged with evacuating Washington has already been activated, on March 16. Joint Task Force National Capital Region (JTF-NCR) is chartered to "defend" Washington on land, in the air, and even on its waterfronts.

“there are two sides of government preparedness. The public face, medical support, delivering supplies, manning health-check stations [and there is] what to do in the face of an armed attack on the United States.

“The Pentagon has also rejected reports, including articles in Newsweek, about martial law or other extreme contingency plans, arguing that the Guard remains under strict control of state governors, while federal troops support civil agencies like FEMA.

“And yet the activation of Joint Task Force National Capital Region, including almost 10,000 uniformed personnel to carry out its special orders, contradicts those assurances. JTF-NCR is not only real and operating, reporting directly to the Secretary of Defense for some of its mission, but some of its units are already on 24/7 alert, specially sequestered on military bases and kept out of coronavirus support duties to ensure their readiness.

“Unlike other Guardsmen activated under "Title 32" orders—under gubernatorial control but paid for by the federal government—the soldiers of the 106th were activated under "Title 10" orders, strict federal duty as if they were going to be shipped off to Afghanistan or Iraq. Except that in this case, the battlefield is Washington, DC.”

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-washington-dc-faces-coronavirus-spike-secret-military-task-force-prepares-secure-1498276?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1587045954

“This war ... ”

“The next front in our war ... ”

Sure is a lot of war talk. Agency is all mixed up when one talks about an aimless microbe in terms of intentionality, as in war.

Maybe they are fighting a war?

If the enemy released the microbe intentionally, does that clear up all the language?

10 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Thanks again, Tony!

--Brant

The biggest fraud perpetrated in modern times. From the start this virus was described and sold on the public as something radically new and lethal. (For some in the population, yes). Fake science, scientism, and a disgusting media with an agenda. We've all been conned. I don't entirely blame governments and leaders. Given the "expert" advisement, popular opinion and a climate of panic, in the face of fast growing numbers, which one could buck the trend and adopt Wittkowski's model? (which doesn't try to "flatten the curve" thereby prolonging the virus period). The same model as has been validated by settled science, re: the nature of any virus, anti-bodies, the immune system, respiratory disease and herd immunity. Self-protect and protect only the older people and those with pre-conditions, and the damned thing takes care of itself and plays itself out.

• Like 2

We are not doing the children any favors. Striking, I've not seen one child or young person and hardly a teen for 5 weeks (when I escape house arrest)- I reckon that's general in any country.

Contradicting everything that's settled knowledge about the corona virus' dangers, everything's back to front - everybody's paranoid evidently, about protecting and isolating the young with healthy immune systems from infection, when first and only priority should be the elderly and/or those with identified and extensively published "preexisting conditions".

When the next coronavirus outbreak comes along, will these future adults have the anti-bodies to resist it?  Simple info from Web MD:

Past Coronaviruses

Are coronaviruses new?

Coronaviruses were first identified in the 1960s. Almost everyone gets a coronavirus infection at least once in their life, most likely as a young child. In the United States, regular coronaviruses are more common in the fall and winter, but anyone can come down with a coronavirus infection at any time.

The symptoms of most coronaviruses are similar to any other upper respiratory infection, including a runny nose, coughing, sore throat, and sometimes a fever. In most cases, you won't know whether you have a coronavirus or a different cold-causing virus, such as a rhinovirus. You treat this kind of coronavirus infection the same way you treat a cold... [...]

ARI weighs in on the quarantines, agreeing with Trump saying that the lockdowns are, indeed, bad. Is it me, or are they, in the process,  attacking him with assertions instead of examples? As if any agreement they might have has to be qualified...

"The Covid-19 pandemic is probably the most daunting health crisis the world has faced in generations. Experts on pandemics have been warning us for years about the potential for an outbreak like this, but their warnings went unheeded, and many countries were not ready to test for, isolate, and trace cases.

"This bad situation was made far worse by leaders like President Trump who conveyed a disdain for the facts and tried to sell the public the fantasy that the threat of the virus could be blunted by travel restrictions. So when Trump has commented on the proper government response to the pandemic, it is no surprise that his credibility was exhausted.

"Notably, when the president took to Twitter to urge that people can still work while “social distancing,” and that “THE CURE CANNOT BE WORSE (by far) THAN THE PROBLEM!” critics were quick to dismiss him, arguing that he cared more about money than about saving lives.

"The president was likely repeating a talking point he’d seen earlier in the day on Fox News. But while dismissing Trump’s ungrounded musings is justifiable, dismissing the very idea that the state-wide lockdowns are misguided or unwarranted is not."

https://newideal.aynrand.org/arguments-for-lockdowns-misrepresent-economic-evidence/

Well, the health crisis is daunting only because of the response. The country shouldn't have been locked down. As for the ARI I suppose they have to say something. Is it finally or was their prior advice disregarded?

--Brant

it looks only like Trump bashing making use of the rear view mirror; so what do they say Trump should do now?

Nothing in the article about herd immunity, but it does throw out the scary and bogus 2.2 million deaths

All "rear mirror" from Brook, the little I can stand to listen on his You Tube. And all played very safe and predictable, nothing radical like herd immunity. {edit: The article by B. Beyer linked by That Guy is better than this}

If this is the one on I saw about WHO, he can't resist most of the video with a diatribe chastising the president for dumping WHO and Trump's "late reactions". He cites "timelines" daily from Jan 1st.

One would think he'd have better things to think about. ARI sounds much like CNN reporters lately.

(Oh, right, and he takes another swipe at Objectivists who support Trump: We are "Lobotomized". Seriously, where does he get off?)

• Like 1

I try, but I just don't find the ARI folks relevant in current events.

Their behavior reminds me of an old Arabian proverb (maybe Persian), which, in the way I learned it from Arabs in Brazil, is more an image than a proposition:

Dogs bark as the caravan passes by.

It's a powerful image, at least to me.

Oh, I have my canine moments (who doesn't? 🙂 ), but I think of myself as much more than dog.

I'm in the caravan (except for when I shrug--at which time I travel my own path alone or with few).

That's why I keep distant from the ARI universe.

I'm going somewhere, not just barking at passers-by.

Michael

That previous post leads directly to the video below I just saw.

The way society was shut down with this coronavirus situation, this is really really really similar to the first stage of an initiation ritual. There are several names for it, preparation, isolation, separation, purification and so forth. But that's where we're at.

According to the video, mundane means "of the world." So this first stage is for initiates to detach from the mundane and replace it with symbolic things and actions and patterns that represent a different way of living or being.

The second stage is called liminal in the video. This is the transition stage where the old self dies off in a kind of feverish purging and a blank slate is created.

The third stage is rebirth. The transcended being emerges.

If I know the American spirit (or sense of life, as Rand would say), I think the people who are trying to engineer this process are going to hit the side of a rock quarry in the second stage as stones fall on their heads. I think Americans are going to go back to life full of fight and energy, retaking their lives instead of burning off their old selves. Once the size of the con becomes apparent at the mainstream level, I think normal people will be royally pissed off at the bad guys and in a "throw the bums out" mood, but at the same time, excited to get back to their normal lives.

Apropos, this ritual initiation stage is where QAnon is the most effective. It's a battering ram against the isolation and gaslighting imposed from above. When it works like that, I am fully on board with it, even when it's wrong.

Sometimes, though, I see it turning into the first stage of an initiation ritual in its own right. When it works that way, that bothers me. 

That's why my position at times seems ambivalent.

I want to tear down the structure of the bad guys, and them along with it, but I'm not interested in replacing that with a new structure where new bad guys emerge.

I don't want any bad guys ruling over me. Ever. Period.

Reasoned individualism and independent thinking for all. Those are the virtues I want to practice and encourage in the world.

Michael

• Like 1