Eggs Benedict

Kat

from Hungry-Girl.com. This is for one of those yummy favorite foods I thought I would never be able to eat again....

Eggs Benechick

Ingredients:

1/2 Thomas' Light Multi Grain English Muffin (or half of another light english muffin**)

1 large egg

1 slice lean ham

1 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise

1 tsp. Hellmann's/ Best Foods Dijonnaise

1 tsp. Brummel & Brown Spread (or another reduced calorie buttery spread**); softened

1 tsp. lemon yogurt

Directions:

Prepare sauce by stirring to combine B&B spread, mayo, yogurt and Dijonnaise; set aside. Crack egg gently into a small cup or dish. Fill a medium-sized pot with 2 inches of water, and bring water to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature until a steady and consistent, but VERY low, boil is reached. Gently pour in the egg and allow to cook for 3 - 5 minutes (3 for a runnier egg, 5 for very firm), or until egg white is mostly opaque. Carefully remove egg by sliding a spatula underneath it and placing it on a plate. Use a paper towel to soak up any excess water. Toast muffin half and heat ham if desired. Heat sauce in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds and stir (add a little water if you prefer a thinner sauce). Top muffin with ham and egg, and then cover with sauce. Enjoy! Serves 1.

Serving Size: 1 portion (entire recipe)

Calories: 180

Fat: 8.5g

Sodium: 690mg

Carbs: 17g

Fiber: 4g

Sugars: 3.5g

Protein: 13g

*4 Points!

• 2 weeks later...
According to Bennet Cerf, this dish (not this version) was Rand's favorite when they ate at the Russian Tea Room.

Apparently, according to a passage in Passion, it was Hiram Haydn who told this tale of dining with Ayn at One Park Avenue, not Bennett Cerf who told it of dining with her at the Russian Tea Room (unless of course Cerf speaks elsewhere than in the part about Ayn in his autobiography of her liking to order eggs benedict at the Tea Room).

pg. 285

In his posthumously published autobiography, Words and Faces, [Hiram] Haydn wrote: "I shall never forget (those words again, but true) my first meeting with Ayn. A short, squarish woman, with black hair cut in bangs and a Dutch bob....Her eyes were as black as her hair, and piercing. We sat down for lunch at One Park Avenue, a place to which we were to return again and again because their eggs Benedict were good, and that was her invariable meal. I made one or two conventional remarks: she fixed me with those eyes and said, 'What are your premises?'"

An extended excerpt from Passion telling the story of Ayn's settling on Random House as the publisher for Atlas is posted starting here.

Ellen

___

• 1 year later...

Oh yummy! Eggs Benedict is probably one of my top favorite foods and definitely my favorite breakfast dish. Thanks for your recipe- I'll try your version this week!

Good recipe!

May I suggest substituting egg beaters for the whole egg, there by eliminating the cholesterol and reducing the calories further.

Good recipe!

May I suggest substituting egg beaters for the whole egg, there by eliminating the cholesterol and reducing the calories further.

Will PETA permit eggs to be beaten? SM140.gif

13.gif

Adam

A fraidy cat chicken

For the cooks, or those wanting to minimize the dietary footprint, more power to you. Far better this version of the ecstasy that is eggs Benedict than none at all, methinks.

For me, it's Reese brand Hollandaise sauce, in a glass jar, one of which makes eight muffin-half servings. (Not that Aunt Polly's brand sauce in a can. Imparts a metallic taste.) I never could get the hang of making it myself. Not because it's that hard. Rather, because it will not keep for more than a single day. And that's too dismaying a culinary treadmill for me to endure.

Otherwise, it's real sliced ham, real lightly-toasted fork-split English muffins, and most important of all, real steam-poached EGGS. Cholesterol be damned. Your liver makes it anyway.

(That last is not meant to be the winner of the Rationalization of the Day Award. The science about the supposed dangers of eggs, as against what your genetics do for and to you, is quite muddled, from all I've read.)

For the cooks, or those wanting to minimize the dietary footprint, more power to you. Far better this version of the ecstasy that is eggs Benedict than none at all, methinks.

For me, it's Reese brand Hollandaise sauce, in a glass jar, one of which makes eight muffin-half servings. (Not that Aunt Polly's brand sauce in a can. Imparts a metallic taste.) I never could get the hang of making it myself. Not because it's that hard. Rather, because it will not keep for more than a single day. And that's too dismaying a culinary treadmill for me to endure.

Otherwise, it's real sliced ham, real lightly-toasted fork-split English muffins, and most important of all, real steam-poached EGGS. Cholesterol be damned. Your liver makes it anyway.

(That last is not meant to be the winner of the Rationalization of the Day Award. The science about the supposed dangers of eggs, as against what your genetics do for and to you, is quite muddled, from all I've read.)

Quite true - further, having Eggs Benedict does not mean you're indulging in a lot of high cholesterol during the other meals, meaning it tends to balance out...

If you can find DeLouis Fils brand hollandaise, grab it. It’ll be in the refrigerated section. It keeps for a while (2-3 weeks) after opening. Also, freshly sliced canadian bacon is a great upgrade, get it sliced about ½ centimeter thick. Where I shop the brand is Nueskes, they make great applewood bacon also. Substitute smoked salmon for a nice change, I say get Scottish or Irish, I for one don’t go for Gravlax. Bon appetit!

icon_hungry.gif

As Jim Gaffigan says: "My greasy lover BACON!" Oh, it's sooooo good. And good call on the thick slices ninth doctor. Much tastier I think!

As far as the calories go, bring 'em on, I'm not afraid! I find that they leave me feeling satisfied longer anyway. I usually add a lot of butter to the hollindaise and drop in a couple of extra egg yolks to help get thicken it. Delicious!

As Jim Gaffigan says: "My greasy lover BACON!" Oh, it's sooooo good. And good call on the thick slices ninth doctor. Much tastier I think!

As far as the calories go, bring 'em on, I'm not afraid! I find that they leave me feeling satisfied longer anyway. I usually add a lot of butter to the hollindaise and drop in a couple of extra egg yolks to help get thicken it. Delicious!

after all, consider how long Julia Childs lived, and she loved the quality ingredients full of all those 'bad' items...

• 11 months later...

Eggs Benedict would seem to be the perfect breakfast for capitalist pigs, since we don’t know whether it was named after Lemuel Benedict or LeGrand Benedict—but both were New York stockbrokers.

And it seems to have the distinction of being the only food on wikipedia’s list of foods named after people to be named after a stockbroker.

Any capitalist pig worthy of the aspersion would also have to regularly consume Oysters Rockefeller, of course. That goes without saying.

Shallow and superfluous, yes, but hopefully now we can forget about banana nut bread.

• 8 months later...