Nathaniel Branden's Self-Esteem Every Day - 2006

Kat

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 5 – Self-Esteem Every Day

To live purposefully is to formulate your short-term and long-term goals explicitly. What is your purpose in life?  In choosing to get married?  In choosing to bring a child into the world?  In starting this business?  In taking this job?  In attending this meeting?  In asking this person for a date?  In participating in this seminar?

July 8 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Once you have formulated your goals and purposes and have identified the actions needed to achieve them, you must monitor your behavior to see that it stays in alignment with your stated intentions.  It is all too easy to fall off the wagon, to get distracted and sidetracked, to move off in directions unrelated to your goals, purposes, and action plans.  Living purposefully entails staying focused on where you are going.  

July 10 – Self-Esteem Every Day

To live purposefully, you need to pay attention to outcomes.  You need t onotice wheter your actions are producing the results you expected—whether they are bringing you closer to your goal.  Perhaps you have a well-formulated purpose, a well thought out action plan, and a pattern of action consistent with your intentions, but the action plan may not be the right one, and you need to go back to the drawing board.  the only way to discover this is by paying attention to outcomes.  As someone observed, doing more of what doesn't work, doesn't work.

July 11 – Self-Esteem Every Day

A common cause of business failure is seeing that a strategy isn't producing the anticipated results—and responding by going unconscious.  The same policy is a common cause of failure in your personal life.

July 12 – Self-Esteem Every Day

You say your goal is to have a happy marriage.  What is your plan of action to achieve that result?  What do you think must be done to bring about the outcome you desire?  And why do you think so?  Or do you believe that hopes and good intentions will do the trick?

July 13 – Self-Esteem Every Day

You say you want to raise happy, self-confident and self-responsible children.  How much thought have you given to what is required to achieve this result? Have you investigated what you might learn from books on this subject?  Why do you think that so many parents with the same good intentions as you fail at this endeavor? When you observe that some of your tactics are not successful, do you experiment with other tactics, seek new ideas, or do you stick to the old patterns and blame your children for the poor results.

July 14 – Self-Esteem Every Day

You say you want to rise in your company.  What do you do to show you are worthy of promotion?  What is your long-term action plan to advance your career?  For example what new skills are you developing to make yourself more valuable?  Or are you merely waiting to be "discovered"?

• 3 weeks later...

July 21 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Stressing the practice of living purposefully as essential to a fully realized self esteem is not equivalent to measuring an individual’s worth by his or her external achievements. We admire achievements – in ourselves and others – and it is natural and appropriate for us to do so. But that is not the same thing as saying that our achievements are the measure or grounds of our self esteem. The root of our self esteem is not our achievements but those internally generated practices that, among other things, make it possible for us to achieve.

July 22 – Self-Esteem Every Day

A wealthy businessman in his nineties once said to me, “Let me tell you the great thing about making a fortune, and losing it, and making it again. It’s good to get knocked on your back – you learn things you need to know. When I was a young man I thought I was my businesses, bank accounts, and limousines. Then the 1929 depression came and I lost everything and had to begin again. Then I found out that I was not any of my possessions but rather the force inside that allowed me to acquire them. And that is something that no external circumstance can take away.”

July 27 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Anyone who tells you that your basic purpose on earth is to sacrifice and serve others is not a friend of yours – nor a friend of humanity. Who is a friend of yours and of humanity? Anyone who tells you that your life belongs to you and the morality consists of honoring your positive potentialities. The purpose of morality is self-fulfillment, not self-annihilation.