Coronavirus

Peter

29 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The elephants discovered a huge vat of wine and got plastered.

Aaaah. I tried to get my granddaughter to come look but she couldn't be bothered now that the internet is back up. I think it was down for about a half an hour.

Just in. Most of the deaths were with people with preexisting conditions but if you smoke or vape, consider stopping. What could be a mild, or severe but survivable case, can turn deadly if you smoke. As you have heard China and Italy have 300 percent more smokers than America. Or get the patch to keep yourself addicted to nicotine and not suffer withdrawal. Peter

Italy has recorded its highest day-to-day-rise in the number of deaths of people infected with the new coronavirus By The Associated Press March 20, 2020, 1:53 PM. ROME -- Italy has recorded its highest day-to-day-rise in the number of deaths of people infected with the new coronavirus. Civil Protection Chief Angelo Borrelli said Friday the country recorded 627 more deaths in the 24 hours since Italy surpassed China on Thursday as the nation with the most COVID-19-related deaths. The total now stands at 4,032.

Authorities said most of the people who died had existing health problems such as heart disease and diabetes before they were infected with the virus.

Borrelli says Italy also saw a staggering increase of 5,986 cases from a day earlier, bringing the official total in Italy to 47,021. The soaring numbers come despite a national lockdown that drastically limits when residents are allowed to leave their homes. Police have issued citations to thousands of people for being out and about without valid reasons, such as going to work or shopping for food.

Mayors and governors throughout the country have been demanding even stricter measures. Italy's national government is widely expected to respond soon. For days now, Italian authorities have said at daily briefings that the virus outbreak that emerged in northern Italy four weeks ago could reach its peak in a matter of days and the number of new infections might start going down. Borrelli addressed the question Friday by saying, ""We'll never know when the peaks will be" n advance. He noted that some experts have spoken of cases peaking "the next week or the week after" that.

7 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

I expect the COVID-19 4% death rate will fall.  It's heavily weighted by the deaths in Italy.  The US rate is currently running at about 1.5%.

Ellen,

Let me add to that.

This is in line with how I think. I know I'm more optimistic than others, but I'm not blind. The best description of my attitude toward the coronavirus I have heard to date came from VP Mike Pence in today's press conference. He said, "Don't be afraid. Be vigilant."

And about the press, my attitude is what President Trump told NBC’s Peter Alexander in the same press conference. He said: "I say that you are a terrible reporter... it’s a very bad signal that you’re putting out to the American people... you ought to be ashamed of yourself."

I feel that, but mixed in, I also feel enormous anger against the press right now. And total contempt.

In other words, the way I see it, virus-wise, don't be afraid, be vigilant. And parallel to that, don't believe a goddam word from the press right now without checking several sources. They are liars. They lie to their own public because they want to. They think it's good to lie to their consumers. To riff off an oldie but goodie, they lie even when they use words like "and" and "the."

Michael

Scam alert. My wife just got 4 emails about her Paypal account. Two emails went to junk mail, but two did not. At the top it has Paypal's legitimate site but you click on  a different web address where you are directed it is undoubtedly a scam because, MY WIFE DOES NOT HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

Peter,

Always look at the URL.

I get phishing or malware emails periodically. Instead of "paypal.com" (or "yahoo.com" or whatever), the email will generally look like the company, with correct logo and all, but the URL will often look something like "so38P4zxll@qxr66.com."

You may not know what that is, but you do know that ain't Paypal.

:) 

Michael

On 3/10/2020 at 3:32 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Amazing Polly finds the oddest things hidden in plain sight.

Here's a rehearsal last December by a globalist group (Event 201 at the John Hopkins Center for Health Security) of what the elites should do for a coronavirus pandemic, including actual presentations of fake news and everything. 

Here's a follow-up by Polly.

When you look at the news these days, you clearly see the technique of flooding she talks about.

Michael

EDIT: I might as well do this one, too. In this video, Polly goes much further out there in speculation than she normally does. The thing that makes me post it is that one of her main targets, Deborah Birx, has given me the creeps ever since I saw her standing by President Trump, then speaking. This is Deborah Birx:

image.png

I don't have much information on her and my reaction crawling up my spine is visceral. So it was good to learn something about her from Polly's video.

If you like this stuff, watch and come to your own conclusion. I, for one, believe there are people making a killing with this pandemic and I believe Polly is on to something.

Polly will not tell you the same information--with the same spin--you get in the mainstream. But she is documented, she does read her material, and she explains it clearly. If you are like me and like to use the 2-step Identify-Correctly-then-Evaluate system of thinking for confusing issues. Polly's material is useful input during the Identify Correctly stage. Even should she be wrong about everything (which she isn't), she asks the right questions and looks at things--some which are fundamental--that nobody else is talking about.

Stocked up? Bread is Ok frozen, but I remember milk that is frozen then, defrosted can leak. Of course I will buy more. Canned meals are Ok. There is canned beef stew and even chicken and dumplings from the same folks , though they tried to add some zest to the dumplings which was OK, but not the best. Potted meat. Deviled chicken. Eggs of course. Food Lion is still sold out. I have a well so I don't need water though I have about 5 gallons of distilled water in my garage. Power outages are not predicted so I won't stink from not showering. Any other ideas on what we objectivists should get? 

I started my generator this evening and it only took two pulls to start. Excellent. 5000 watts isn't great but it does the job of keeping the fridge, freezer, lights and microwave going. And of course the computer, internet and cable will continue to entertain us. Five gallons of gas keep us going for 8 hours. Peter

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This is Deborah Birx:

Odd. I get the exact opposite impression of her. She is loyal. trustworthy and erudite. And if I weren't married I would ask her out. Peter    

I am not sure why I started of thinking about this wonderful movie after worrying about the coronavirus, but the first line quoted is one of the best lines ever performed in Hollywood. “I will find you.” Think back to what Hawkeye is telling her. Peter   

From the last of the Mohicans. Hawkeye: No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.

Storyline. The last members of a dying Native American tribe, the Mohicans -- Uncas, his father Chingachgook, and his adopted half-white brother Hawkeye -- live in peace alongside British colonists. But when the daughters of a British colonel are kidnapped by a traitorous scout, Hawkeye and Uncas must rescue them in the crossfire of a gruesome military conflict of which they wanted no part: the French and Indian War.

[last lines] Chingachgook: Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him and let him take his place at the council fire of my people. He is Uncas, my son. Tell them to be patient and ask death for speed; for they are all there but one - I, Chingachgook - Last of the Mohicans.

15 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The following routine by George Carlin might be a little out of place here, but watch it anyway.

It will blow the shit out of any panic you feel. It might even get you pissed off. But after you see it, it's easier to move into rational vigilance.

Besides, it's hilarious.

Michael

This vid is extremely important. It goes right to the heart of the current germ hysteria and tears it to pieces.

--Brant

• Like 1

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. 21890  deaths 279  .0127 or a little over one percent

Cases worldwide 286955  deaths 11980  .0417 or a little over four percent.

Below they say stay three feet apart but I have heard ten feet is mandatory. Not much has changed. Stay hunkered down!

From WHO Wash your hands frequently Maintain social distancing Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth Practice respiratory hygiene If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early Stay home if you feel unwell. Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare

Kenny Rogers died but not from coronavirus. He was 81 and in hospice.

12 hours ago, Peter said:

Odd. I get the exact opposite impression of her. She is loyal. trustworthy and erudite.

Peter,

Joking aside, I'm turned off to Deborah Brix due to the vibes I get from her stage presence. She stands behind President Trump preening (just watch her as others speak), then when she's called to speak, it looks like she took lessons in how to make a fake smile even faker.

For instance, here she is doing a real smile (one from the heart).

03.21.2020-11.31.png

And here's the smile I most often see from her:

03.21.2020-11.33.png

The secret is not in the turn of the mouth. (With her it goes up and down randomly.) It's in the eyes. When they are half-squinting like in the top picture, that's called a squinch. In body-language, that indicates a full smile coming through. Look at lots of celebrity pictures and you will see a predominance of squinching in the ones who are considered good-looking, hot, charismatic, etc.

When a smile happens and the eyes are wide open like her in the second picture, she is plastering the expression on her face and staying wide-eyed to observe her target better. This expression exudes phoniness. Most people feel this without knowing why.

Don't get me wrong. Birx likes the limelight. In one instance where she was speaking, President Trump interrupted her and asked Dr. Fauci to explain a detail. Man did she get miffed. She explained a little too long how she was happy to stop talking and hand the microphone over to someone as eminent as Dr. Fauci, how she didn't mind at all, after all they were all on the same team, etc., and btw - she was really really happy to do this, no really, because he was her mentor. Then she finally backed up and gave space to Fauci, but she remained for quite a while with a frozen noncommittal face while icicle daggers of death zapped out of her eyes.

Also, I really dislike her phony bureaucratic explaining tone. That's when a bureaucrat explains things to you that will essentially screw you, but praises you for things you haven't done and thanks you for helping. Kinda like when she said how great millennials are at protecting each other and protecting the elderly. It makes me wonder what bad thing is in store for the millennials that isn't quite evident right now.

Those are some of the vibes I picked up.

If you were ever to ask that woman out, I would say. be careful. She's a black widow type, She eats people after making nice with them.

Michael

I will stick with my model wife. We heard through the grapevine that all the Food Lions are low on stuff but Hocker's in Ocean View, a more upscale store, is packed with supplies but everything is more expensive as usual. Now that is a good example of "market economy."

Polly's terrific. She at least asks the right questions as Michael says; and if a tenth of what she interconnects is valid, it's enough.

It's your minds they want. AR

Never let a good crisis go to waste. R. Emanuel

If you can keep your head when all about you...RK

When all the cattle are stampeding in one direction, look for the men on horses. AJG

There's something very strange going on, things which didn't transpire with the last serious virus.

• Like 2

Snoopy, the ghost writer for Tom Clancy, is watching the Presidential briefing. And now an excerpt from his future Tom Clancy novel, ”The Invisible Enemy:” The reporters filed into the room and took their seats. One gentleman maneuvers to get as close as he can to the podium, as he suppresses a cough. The President and his entourage troop in and as the President begins to speak the reporter stealthily reaches into his pocket to activate a small but powerful, battery powered fan. Soon the reporter’s coronavirus is spreading throughout the room.

24 minutes ago, anthony said:

When all the cattle are stampeding in one direction, look for the men on horses. AJG

Tony,

I love this quote, but who is AJG?

I can't find anything about the quote like who wrote or said it, or anything about the acronym that makes sense.

And for the reader, if anyone is having a brain-fart, here is a legend to the rest of the post:

AR = Ayn Rand
R. Emanuel = Rahm Emanuel
RK = Rudyard Kipling

Michael

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Anthony and anyone else, do you think the coronavirus is being spread deliberately?

Not at all. I also don't think it was artificially constructed, I haven't any problem accepting the official reasons and source. Coved-19 is real and has to treated gravely without hysteria, by individuals and governments. 'Don't be afraid, be vigilant' - Pence.

I do think, however, there are many who are not now, and would not be unhappy with any recession in the US - so-called celebs have been blatantly wishing for that outcome to overturn the president at sacrificial cost to the nation - and the world economy (or collapse of capitalism). Nor sad with the panic (set to increase in coming weeks as things get worse before they get better) which is not exactly allayed by much of the media - leading to probable riots in some countries. Those, in short, who view this pandemic as the first stage in a 'new global order'. In other words, this is a fortuitous happenstance for any who plan to step into the vacuum afterwards and rule us (for your own good, yknow). Eleven years ago and another serious outbreak, H1N1, which might also have created uncertainty and major alarm, media overkill, quarantines, lockdowns and shutdowns - but didn't. Before it went on to cause up to one half-million deaths. My part guess, at that point nothing must be allowed to sully the terms of office of the then president. I only bring in the reminder of the swine flu pandemic as reference, dismayed at the Coronavirus' projected mortality rate and aware that there is error in direct medical equivalence with this one. But overall, fundamentally, what's new? 

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Tony,

I love this quote, but who is AJG?

Michael

Ha, my middle name is John.  I was slightly embarrassed to put that among such exalted company as Rand and Kipling.

49 minutes ago, anthony said:

Ha, my middle name is John.  I was slightly embarrassed to put that among such exalted company as Rand and Kipling.

Tony,

I love it.

(btw - That laugh icon does not have to mean derision like several people use it for here on OL. It can also be a belly-laugh, which is what just happened. :) )

Michael

I think we might start seeing more of the following, at least at community levels, as this mass semi-quarantine unfolds.

The incompetent will try to play their little power games, but since they don't know how to do anything practical other than pander for votes and threaten enemies, the competent will stand up, stare them down and talk over them, then say (like John Galt): "Get out of my way."

Michael

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Coronavirus cases in the U.S. 21890  deaths 279  .0127 or a little over one percent

Cases worldwide 286955  deaths 11980  .0417 or a little over four percent.

Below they say stay three feet apart but I have heard ten feet is mandatory. Not much has changed. Stay hunkered down!

From WHO Wash your hands frequently Maintain social distancing Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth Practice respiratory hygiene If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early Stay home if you feel unwell. Stay informed and follow advice given by your healthcare

Kenny Rogers died but not from coronavirus. He was 81 and in hospice.

In hospice they dope you to sleep and deprive you of fluids and in three or four days you die of dehydration.

--Brant