A FUN QUESTION

God, the collaboration between Cash and Rubin on the "American series" is gorgeous work--gorgeous!

Listen for Johnny's version of the Depeche Mode song "Personal Jesus" If you haven't heard the song yet. . .you must! It sends chills down my spine! He also covered "Solitary Man" and made it his own.

I have been listening to Cash ever since I was ten-years old and I have never stopped loving the dude: I am awed by his titanic presence, the gravity of his voice, the depth and the simplicity of his music.

"Hurt" is on the CD THE MAN COMES AROUND: With a great mix of a few Cash originals and carefully selected cover songs, there really are not any bad moments, and Fiona Apple sings with Cash on "Bridge Over Troubled Water"!

The album opener, "The Man Comes Around", a Cash original, and the traditional "We'll Meet Again" are perfect bookends for the collection with plenty of highlights in between.

The success of "Hurt" is well documented because of its incredible video, but it stands tall by itself as a classic that now belongs to Johnny. Emotion baby, emotion! This is gorgeous music!

Kori, if you are reading this...go and buy some Cash music. Now! Don't upset me, girl!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Eh, I'll give it a shot. I really like Nine Inch Nails (although I HATE the song "Hurt"), so I didn't really like Cash's cover. The only songs I've heard (I think) are Ring of Fire (Social Distortion did a cover of this) and Walk the Line, and I do like both of those. By the way, Manson did a cover of Personal Jesus (though the only difference seemed to be that it was a bit "heavier."

Somebody save me, I'm so unbelievably bored right now!

Honey, you groovin' on some Canadian country? Shania Twain, EH? [by the way EH is EH]

Well, you would think I would know this about my girlfriend. Allright!

When we meet up, we'll be "having a party, a party for two! There won't be anybody--except me and you!"

Get down, baby! :smile:

I need to turn you on to Johnny Cash, too.

Hi, Honey. Yeah, I've been listening to Cash. I like the songs you've asked me to listen to so far. :) I have some audio to do tonight with my job but will have Napster going and will be listening to some Cash as well. :)

Hi Angie!

Those are excellent Eminem songs, though I didn't expect you to say Soldier (I suppose now that I think of it, it makes sense. The chorus always makes me think of Dagny and Hank). I also really like 'Til I Collapse and a lot of his older stuff (like his first album, Infinite). I always thought it was funny that in the song Criminal he is pretty much telling people that he should not always be taken seriously and then goes on in the song to say a bunch of really horrible stuff, but of course nobody listened to the beginning and he was totally bitched out and protested. Have you ever heard his song Rabbit Run from the 8 Mile soundtrack? That's definitely a favorite as well.

I was also glad to hear you mention Tupac (especially One Day At A Time, I love that!). I haven't heard too many of his songs, but I really like him (even the "gangster" stuff, imagine how silly it looks when a 17 year old white girl sings Hit 'Em Up at the top of her lungs in her car). I'll have to check out a couple of those songs you mentioned.

That really is a wide variety of music! I can't say that I've really heard all of them. I definitely love Rush and Queen (my dad always calls Mercury "Freddie the Faggot" <_< ) and Lynyrd Skynyrd. There's a Boston song on Guitar Hero 1 that I play all the time. I rock at it, too. :lol:

Kori

Ah, Soldier threw you for a loop. Yeah, figured it would....hehehehehe. I take it you must have listened and figured out why. Hey, I guess if you listen to my music it will give you a more intimate understanding of my past as many songs I relate to in some way, memories, etc. It will also speak to the severity of it but doesn't give full context of it. But don't get me wrong, there are many songs that speaks to my sense of life, my optimism, my determination to never give up, and so on.

No, I haven't heard Rabbit Run but will listen to it tonight sometime in between listening to Cash.

You should really listen to more of Tupac, believe it or not, he's got much of Ayn Rand down in what he tried to convey to others in his songs but of course other songs that speak very little of it. Tupac unfortunately couldn't get out of that vacuous state and kept being drawn back to the "ghetto" so to speak. He got out, succeeded, made millions, powerhouse in that industry but just couldn't escape where he grew up and kept going back. But he has many many many songs that speaks of his ideas that lined up with ARs. But to get the whole picture of it, you need to listen to most of his songs which there are many. Kori, since you like rap, I highly recommend listening more of him.

Girl, us white girls....LOL...would get along well as I also blare it coming from my car. LOL But screw 'em all, I really couldn't give a shit if the dude next to me is shaking his head at me or staring or whatever. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and I downright refuse to let others rain on my party and that I am not supposed to show my enthusiasm and happiness because of what they might think of me. I also get caught sometimes dancing in my car when listening to music or singing and dancing.

Angie

Hey, by the way, I may be able to attach some wav files in a PM of those songs for you so you can hear them, if you want.

You should hear “Ring of Fire” because it’s a song that speaks of you and me—falling hard and fast into the “ring of fire” that is love. :heart: :)

Edit: Johnny Cash was part rockabilly rebel, part campfire storyteller, part passionate romantic, part patriot, part outlaw in black. He is an artist who writes and plays from his freaking heart. He was the REAL DEAL.

Edited by Victor Pross

You should hear “Ring of Fire” because it’s a song that speaks of you and me—falling hard and fast into the “ring of fire” that is love. :heart: :)

Edit: Johnny Cash was part rockabilly rebel, part campfire storyteller, part passionate romantic, part patriot part outlaw in black. He is an artist who writes and plays from his freaking heart. He was the REAL DEAL.

I will definitely check it out tonight !!!!

June Carter [Cash’s true love] wrote the lyrics about her relationship with Johnny Cash. She felt being around Cash was like being in a "ring of fire” and Johnny felt the same. When she wrote this, both June and Johnny were married but they became singing partners and close friends. By 1967, Cash and Carter were single again and they got married in 1968. Johnny claimed that June saved his life by helping him get off drugs. June died in 2003 after 35 years of marriage to Johnny. Their passionate love was played out in the movie “Walk the Line.” Honey, we are watching that movie together. Oh yeah!

June Carter [Cash’s true love] wrote the lyrics about her relationship with Johnny Cash. She felt being around Cash was like being in a "ring of fire” and Johnny felt the same. When she wrote this, both June and Johnny were married but they became singing partners and close friends. By 1967, Cash and Carter were single again and they got married in 1968. Johnny claimed that June saved his life by helping him get off drugs. June died in 2003 after 35 years of marriage to Johnny. Their passionate love was played out in the movie “Walk the Line.” Honey, we are watching that movie together. Oh yeah!

Oh, I saw that movie today while out and about and almost bought it because I really want to see it. But I remembered you said you wanted to watch it together, so yes, I decided not to get it just yet but soon. :)

Yes, I saw the movie, *I Walk the Line*, and think it is great, Reese winning a well-deserved Oscar. Johnny Cash was a cherished part of the soundtrack of my youth.

-Ross Barlow.

The unofficial scuttlebutt on "Ring of Fire" is that it had a double meaning. It involved him contracting a social disease, having to tell June about it... something like that.

Was it the E Channel that did the long piece on him? True Hollywood Stories or something?

American series, yes... that is fantastic. Stripped down and straight. Love that.

Of course, over here in Cleveland, the big music tragedy is the death of Gerald Levert. Everybody was in town yesterday for the funeral... Stevie Wonder... all kinds of folks.

Like all things, there's a back story. I'm very close to it but I'm not talkin'!!!

I liked Ring of Fire. My one complaint was that in Johnny and June's minds there being "born again" was very important. I thought it was slighted by the movie. I also thought that the place of June's family in country music was minimized.

Ah, Soldier threw you for a loop. Yeah, figured it would....hehehehehe. I take it you must have listened and figured out why. Hey, I guess if you listen to my music it will give you a more intimate understanding of my past as many songs I relate to in some way, memories, etc. It will also speak to the severity of it but doesn't give full context of it. But don't get me wrong, there are many songs that speaks to my sense of life, my optimism, my determination to never give up, and so on.

No, I haven't heard Rabbit Run but will listen to it tonight sometime in between listening to Cash.

You should really listen to more of Tupac, believe it or not, he's got much of Ayn Rand down in what he tried to convey to others in his songs but of course other songs that speak very little of it. Tupac unfortunately couldn't get out of that vacuous state and kept being drawn back to the "ghetto" so to speak. He got out, succeeded, made millions, powerhouse in that industry but just couldn't escape where he grew up and kept going back. But he has many many many songs that speaks of his ideas that lined up with ARs. But to get the whole picture of it, you need to listen to most of his songs which there are many. Kori, since you like rap, I highly recommend listening more of him.

Girl, us white girls....LOL...would get along well as I also blare it coming from my car. LOL But screw 'em all, I really couldn't give a shit if the dude next to me is shaking his head at me or staring or whatever. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and I downright refuse to let others rain on my party and that I am not supposed to show my enthusiasm and happiness because of what they might think of me. I also get caught sometimes dancing in my car when listening to music or singing and dancing.

Angie

Hey, by the way, I may be able to attach some wav files in a PM of those songs for you so you can hear them, if you want.

Angie,

I will listen to more Pac. I downloaded (evil me, for shame) "Baby Don't Cry" but I don't think it was the original version. I did really like this version though. I agree that he kept being sucked into that ghetto mentality. I always hated that "thug life" tattoo of his. Sometimes his songs say something so touching to me and then he turns around and says some ridiculous shit. *sigh*

LOL...we're some gangsta bitches. :blink: I see all the old folk starin', but I keeps it blarin'. I've gotten caught dancing plenty of times. It's really very funny and I find it odd when the other person does not chuckle at me. It always makes MY day to see some goofball dancing in their car. *shrugs*

I'd appreciate some Tupac files if you can send them. Let me know if you would like to hear anything and I can send it to you.

Kori

Angie

Angie,

I will listen to more Pac. I downloaded (evil me, for shame) "Baby Don't Cry" but I don't think it was the original version. I did really like this version though. I agree that he kept being sucked into that ghetto mentality. I always hated that "thug life" tattoo of his. Sometimes his songs say something so touching to me and then he turns around and says some ridiculous shit. *sigh*

LOL...we're some gangsta bitches. :blink: I see all the old folk starin', but I keeps it blarin'. I've gotten caught dancing plenty of times. It's really very funny and I find it odd when the other person does not chuckle at me. It always makes MY day to see some goofball dancing in their car. *shrugs*

I'd appreciate some Tupac files if you can send them. Let me know if you would like to hear anything and I can send it to you.

Kori

LMAO....you're too funny, Kori. Yeah, us gangsta bitches would be tearin' it up !! You dance? You got some rhythm, Girl. :) hehehehehe Same here, have much rhythm and can definitely get my groove on !! Too bad you're so far away from me. Girls night out is always so much fun !!

I'm not sure which song you heard but I will send some files off to you tonight some time. I'm not quite sure about the size and if OL can handle that size but we'll see. If not, I can send it to you through email.

Edited by CNA

^Awwww. LOL.

LMAO....you're too funny, Kori. Yeah, us gangsta bitches would be tearin' it up !! You dance? You got some rhythm, Girl. :) hehehehehe Same here, have much rhythm and can definitely get my groove on !! Too bad you're so far away from me. Girls night out is always so much fun !!

I'm not sure which song you heard but I will send some files off to you tonight some time. I'm not quite sure about the size and if OL can handle that size but we'll see. If not, I can send it to you through email.

LOLness!

I dance...if you wanna call it that. I have never danced in public, and I don't think I could. I'm actually very shy! haha. I can't go girls night out if there's alcohol. I can't get in the club! Shit, I sometimes get asked if I want the children's menu and I'm 17! So long as the children's menu has a big ass slab of ribs, then sure I'll take it!

:lol: I look forward to the files.

^Awwww. LOL.

LOLness!

I dance...if you wanna call it that. I have never danced in public, and I don't think I could. I'm actually very shy! haha. I can't go girls night out if there's alcohol. I can't get in the club! Shit, I sometimes get asked if I want the children's menu and I'm 17! So long as the children's menu has a big ass slab of ribs, then sure I'll take it!

:lol: I look forward to the files.

LOL....oh, my god, you're a baby still...hehehehehe Yeah, that would be a bit difficult. Hey, you know what, ohmigod, you should have seen me dancing at your age....so wow to that one. :lol: Everyone run for the hills and quick. LMAO. I still have memories of it. :shocked: Hey, it's something you learn. I got the groove down when I was about 18 or so, and it's just gone crazy from there. First though is get the hip movement down and loosen up a bit. Try it in front of the mirror. Or get your head going to the beat as you see people doing sometimes. It was this way for me. Now I really enjoy it. Planning soon to take some kickboxing as well as some dance classes. Should be much fun !!

Tried to send the files through PM but wouldn't attach. I wanted to send you the tupac and eminem song as I think you might like it as well as a few others.

Hey! I'm no baby! :baby: Hahahaha. I don't know if I'm seriously into dancing. I just really think it's funny and I act a fool and jump around like a rapper sometimes, too. LMAO. Yo, yo, yo! I REALLY would like to learn to swing dance though. That is the only dance I've ever been seriously interested in. It looks so fun!

You can send the files to hey_mr_superstar@hotmail.com if you'd like. :) I want to send you some cool Eminem songs as well, but I'm schleepy, so I needs mah rest. :lol: Will get them to you tomorrow or Monday.

Hey! I'm no baby! :baby: Hahahaha. I don't know if I'm seriously into dancing. I just really think it's funny and I act a fool and jump around like a rapper sometimes, too. LMAO. Yo, yo, yo! I REALLY would like to learn to swing dance though. That is the only dance I've ever been seriously interested in. It looks so fun!

You can send the files to hey_mr_superstar@hotmail.com if you'd like. :) I want to send you some cool Eminem songs as well, but I'm schleepy, so I needs mah rest. :lol: Will get them to you tomorrow or Monday.

I gotcha and will send the files off to you tonight. I was going to post my email address but nah, not yet. Would prefer to keep my last name a bit of a mystery. Kat and Mike of course know it as well as a few others but would much rather stay as anonymous as possible. Most know me as Angie and that's all they really need to know aside from what I've posted so far. Get some sleep, Girl. It is extremely late for you.

I gotcha and will send the files off to you tonight. I was going to post my email address but nah, not yet. Would prefer to keep my last name a bit of a mystery. Kat and Mike of course know it as well as a few others but would much rather stay as anonymous as possible. Most know me as Angie and that's all they really need to know aside from what I've posted so far. Get some sleep, Girl. It is extremely late for you.

I got the files. Thanks! I will be sending some to you as well. I'll keep you anonymous, so don't worry. ;)

It's not late for me (or it wasn't), it's Saturday! Woot! Plus, I usually stay up 'til midnight at least. It's great to get to a point where you're so tired that you feel awake. LOL.

I got the files. Thanks! I will be sending some to you as well. I'll keep you anonymous, so don't worry. ;)

It's not late for me (or it wasn't), it's Saturday! Woot! Plus, I usually stay up 'til midnight at least. It's great to get to a point where you're so tired that you feel awake. LOL.

Hey, girlie girl, you're totally welcome! :) I hope you liked them, especially Tupac and Eminem together. I figured you'd might like those more. No worries about sending them my way any time soon. I'm on Napster and have access to probably well over 2,000,000 songs. Just let me know what you want me to listen to or think I would like, etc., and I'll check Napster. Napster is so well worth it, especially if you are a music junkie...hehehehehehe. Oh, and thanks for keeping me anonymous !! :)

Haven't had much of a chance to listen yet. :( My dad yelled at me to clean my room, so that took forever. Hmm...of course I recommend Eminem's Rabbit Run. I will send you some of his OLD stuff that you probably can't find on Napster when I get the chance. Phwew...I'm all dusty from my room.