A FUN QUESTION

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll bite: Ray Kurzweil. Why? Because I think he's a great modern inventor, working in the field of electronic music. He invented what I think are the best synthesizers in the world and today he's working to solve the longevity problem so humans can live vastly extended lives with better health.

Mark: Ray Kurzweil did three hours on Book TV on November 5th. This is a heroic undertaking since the particapants don't get too many breaks and the interview is done live. I am now going to read Kurzweil.

If I could be anyone I would be Thomas Jefferson or Marilyn Manson.

Now THAT's what I call a contrast. The mind boggles. :blink:

If I could be anyone for a day? Only a day? If I had time, I'd like to be someone who was with Paul of Tarsus when he saw his "vision" of Christ on the way to Damascas. I'd like to know what he was on at the time--mabye he just ate some rye tainted with ergot? I am curious as to how all the mythology was deposited upon Jesus of Nazareth.

Brave of Peri to roll that one out. But you can do that on OL. Yeah, I agree, you gotta wonder...

rde

Waits for the minions to start up with the ladders and catapaults. :puppeh:

Edited by Rich Engle

wow, quite a few twists on the question posed. As I take it, the question didn't imply changing history or altering the person's perception of reality. The question seems to be very direct. It's about trading lives with someone for a day, past or present, the life you would like to have for a day.

So, Angie, given that you can see why John Holmes might very well be a perfectly reasonable choice...

rde

Going into archive for records of Holme's shooting schedule....gotta find that perfect day.

Damn, Rich.....laughing right now. A good choice for you as you've turned into the Zen Love Master with your Dagny....I can understand your choice and why you would want to live a day as he did. For me, not my choice but I think you would know why I say what I did in the previous posts as you know more about me, what happened, my past, etc., and why I definitely wouldn't want to be anyone else for many many many reasons.

So which is it for you, Rich, SIZE or QUANTITY? It can't be QUALITY, that's for sure. So it must be SIZE or QUANTITY?? But I can see much playing around, stuff that is not discussed on forums such as this, too explicit, that can be had with your Dagny and it would boil down to QUALITY and sharing much intimacy, love, and most of all much eroticism with the one you love and that is with your baby Dagny, KAT !!!

Angie

Hey, Kori said Marilyn freaking Manson. It can always be worse...I'll see to it personally!

Oh, he's not worse. He's a harmless teddy bear. Really.

If I could be anyone I would be Thomas Jefferson or Marilyn Manson.

Now THAT's what I call a contrast. The mind boggles. :blink:

Yes, it is. :devil: Don't judge a book by its cover though. Through all the make-up and crazy antics, Marilyn Manson is a very intelligent man.

Brave of Peri to roll that one out. But you can do that on OL. Yeah, I agree, you gotta wonder...

rde

Waits for the minions to start up with the ladders and catapaults. :puppeh:

Well, whether Objectivists like it or not, history was greatly influenced by Christianity. I hold that this faith, delusion, supersition, irrational nonsense or whatever you want to call it , was really "invented" by Saul of Tarsus, obviously influenced by a lot of other "mystery" religions in the air at the time, and he deposited his various ideas on the itinerant rabbi Jesus of Nazareth. It would be fascinating to find what was his motivation. .

Kori,

I see you are an Eminem fan by your signature. Believe it or not, there are a few songs of his that I, me of all people, like. Well, not all, YIKES, as I am sure you are aware of why....Wow. But there are a few that I like. I see you have eclectic tastes with music. You know, it really depends on what YOU take away from it and not what others think of it, especially the orthodox O'ists, etc. A song that may be offensive to someone else but not to you as you may be able to identify with it in some way and trigger a memory, something that you can relate to in your past, something to help you understand more fully your past, clarify your thoughts, may hit home more so than what someone else might take away from it and find it repulsive or immoral.

This is the way I am when it comes to music as I also have a variety of what I listen to. Although I am a huge Rush fan for obvious reasons, I do listen to other music that would be controversial to others or others would find as being immoral, conflicting with what O'ism says is the right kind of music to listen to. Music that I listen to I identify with in some way, sometimes helps me to clarify my thoughts, provokes deeper thought, may trigger a memory, may reinforce a conviction that I came to in the past and remembering the situation that that particular song triggered, etc. Many many reasons as to why I listen to the types of music that I do. I may not like all parts of the song but still identify with it in some way. As I am sure you are aware, music can be very personal for many many reasons. It depends on what you take away from it and how you identify with it.

Angie

Edited by CNA

wow, quite a few twists on the question posed. As I take it, the question didn't imply changing history or altering the person's perception of reality. The question seems to be very direct. It's about trading lives with someone for a day, past or present, the life you would like to have for a day.

That must be one of the best things about being an actor/actress - you get to be someone else for a day (or several months, more like) and get paid for it! It's funny how many say that they love playing the 'baddies'. In real-life one cannot go around being a cantankerous old lady without suffering the consequences of loneliness. But as an actress, one can do it and thorougly enjoy it, knowing that you're not damaging any relationships by being so.

Isn't it funny how we all strive for harmony in our lives, and yet would probably find watching a film that involved a family, say, all living harmoniously together quite dull. We strive for harmony and yet also seem to crave drama (conflict, contrast).

Angie...

BTW, did you hear that Neal Peart has a new book out? Apparently based on his motorcycle travels, I hear.

MSK: Well, I guess you're always acting on film, whether you are thinking about it or not... But, he definitely was not employed for his scary theatrical talent. It was measured in inches.

Angie:

I'm with you, really. I wouldn't want to be anyone else... No need, not much interest. I do like reading bios, though.

I think life offers a magnificent experience to almost anyone who isn't born into tragic circumstances where it is almost impossible to escape from things, be they medical, situational, or both. And sometimes even then... It's just good enough for me what I have, the trick is to cultivate how to appreciate it every possible moment.

The Holmes thing, of course, was just funnin'. And, of course, to draw out statements of disgust from the hyper-serious (I cannot escape the guilty pleasure of delivering a little time-release love tap). Mission accomplished!

Nope, no Holmes for moi. I can barely handle the gift I have in my hands (literally).

Worst problem I have these days is keeping the ZLN stocked and ready 24/7. Such a problem...

Rich wrote:

BTW, did you hear that Neal Peart has a new book out? Apparently based on his motorcycle travels, I hear.

Yes, I have heard about his new book. To my understanding and correct me if I am wrong, it was at a time in his life after he lost his family that he took heavily to the road. Much soul searching going on there, his finding his strength to keep going, etc. He's a very strong man, optimistic man. I admire him greatly.

I think life offers a magnificent experience to almost anyone who isn't born into tragic circumstances where it is almost impossible to escape from things, be they medical, situational, or both. And sometimes even then... It's just good enough for me what I have, the trick is to cultivate how to appreciate it every possible moment.

Rich, I find this interesting, given my past and those circumstances, which you know more about but I haven't posted publicly. It is a matter of saying, no, enough is enough, and walking away. It is up to you if you want to stay and not find a way out. For me, it was relatively simple. Well, a lot getting to that point, wow, getting to that point was definitely not easy but ultimately made the difficult decision to get out and I did and I am very grateful for the choices I have made as it ultimately brought me immense happiness. The medical issues and how you deal with it speaks to your sense of life, how much you love it, how much you don't take it for granted. I also have much experience with this as well. Even when things were dire and told of the possible end result, my sense of life, my love of it, my optimism is ultimately what kept me going, kept me pushing forward, to never give up, to not take it for granted, that I would be all right. Even if I didn't, I felt complete. I had accomplished what I wanted, what I had set out for myself. I've posted about this before and don't want to restate once again what I've said about this. Plus I don't have much time right now. I am sure Victor is going to be like what the hell, she can post here but not elsewhere type deal. LOL He'll know what I am talking about.

angie

Angie,

Thanks for your post! Yes, I do have very eclectic taste in music, you should see my iPod! First it's Eminem, then Rush (I love them too!), then Manson, then Justin Timberlake (as much as I hate to admit it), then Mozart, and so on. I absolutely LOVE Eminem (not in the "he's so sexy" kind of way). I think he's a brilliant lyricist and I can definitely relate to many of his songs (especially Sing For the Moment). Many people think he is polluting the minds of the youth, but really I think that those things are already on our minds and he's just saying them out loud (at least they are on MY mind). I don't know why parents think we all take him seriously and want to go out and rape and kill because he said so. *sigh* I guess they'll never learn.

It kind of ticks me off to think that Ayn Rand would have probably judged me as immoral because of the music I listen to. I mean, I admire her very much and it kind of sucks that I know (pretty much) that she wouldn't like me if she met me. I've always wondered what she would have thought of Em or Manson. :lol: Hope that doesn't sound silly.

Anyway, what are the songs by Eminem that you enjoy (and what other music do you enjoy...even if it's "immoral")? I'm very curious to know!

Kori

Edited by Kori

Kori,

I’m not going to put a fine-point on this, so I’ll just come out and say it: Fuck what the Orthodox consider “acceptable” music and listen to whatever brightens your bulb and turns your crank.

Music is a very powerful art form and a selfish need--and to turn away from something that offers great value to you—to appeal for the acceptance of the pack—is a form of self sacrifice. Do you think my art falls under the banner of Romantic Realism? No, it falls under the banner of “What Victor—the individual—wants to fucking do!” Objectivism is a philosophy of individualism. Be yourself, brother. :cool:

Victor

Edited by Victor Pross

Will do, Victor! There's no WAY anyone could make me change the music I listen to!

Oh, and I don't know if you knew, but I am a female (I saw the "...brother" and didn't know if you were unsure about my gender *blush*). The name can be tricky. Stupid unisex names!

Also, you're art falls under the "badass" category. :)

Edited by Kori

Angie,

Thanks for your post! Yes, I do have very eclectic taste in music, you should see my iPod! First it's Eminem, then Rush (I love them too!), then Manson, then Justin Timberlake (as much as I hate to admit it), then Mozart, and so on. I absolutely LOVE Eminem (not in the "he's so sexy" kind of way). I think he's a brilliant lyricist and I can definitely relate to many of his songs (especially Sing For the Moment). Many people think he is polluting the minds of the youth, but really I think that those things are already on our minds and he's just saying them out loud (at least they are on MY mind). I don't know why parents think we all take him seriously and want to go out and rape and kill because he said so. *sigh* I guess they'll never learn.

It kind of ticks me off to think that Ayn Rand would have probably judged me as immoral because of the music I listen to. I mean, I admire her very much and it kind of sucks that I know (pretty much) that she wouldn't like me if she met me. I've always wondered what she would have thought of Em or Manson. :lol: Hope that doesn't sound silly.

Anyway, what are the songs by Eminem that you enjoy (and what other music do you enjoy...even if it's "immoral")? I'm very curious to know!

Kori

Hi Kori,

My Ipod has quite a bit. But ended up going to Napster and listening through them. The songs I like by Eminem. I have a few that I like. I may not like every portion of the song but there are definitely certain ones I can identify with in some way, my past, memories being triggered. With the triggering of these memories, I remember WHY I came to the convictions I hold. It reinforces my convictions. Sometimes will provoke deeper thought. Then if I am exercising which provokes thought for me anyway or clarity of thoughts and then hear a song that provokes even more thought, keeps you driven, it turns into a rush so to speak both intellectually and physically. Have drawn many many conclusions while exercising and listening to music. Tupac also has gotten much flack but so many of his songs are quite amazing. Tupac's work, poetry is at UCLA I think where scholars have been going through his works, studying it, etc.

Eminem

Sing For The Moment

Lose Yourself

Soldier (definitely explicit, not all parts of the song I like but can identify with it to some extent)

Tupac

Runnin' (Dying to Live)

Better Dayz

Until The End Of Time

One Day At A Time (with Eminem, about being true to yourself, growth, and not giving into others)

Baby Don't Cry (Keep Ya Head Up) (when life gets difficult, keep pushing forward and never give up)

Others that I listen to are Incubus, Mary J. Blige, Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, Joss Stone, Aaliyah, Rush, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, Shania Twain. I have many many different genres I like from Jazz to New Age, Rock, Metal, R&B, Rap, etc.

Angie

There's no WAY anyone could make me change the music I listen to!

I think that's one thing we ALL have in common.

Remember how happy the people in Afghanistan were when the US toppled the Taliban and the people could once again listen to music freely without fear of reprisals?

Judith

Honey, you groovin' on some Canadian country? Shania Twain, EH? [by the way EH is EH]

Well, you would think I would know this about my girlfriend. Allright!

When we meet up, we'll be "having a party, a party for two! There won't be anybody--except me and you!"

Get down, baby! :smile:

I need to turn you on to Johnny Cash, too.

Edited by Victor Pross

Hi Angie!

Those are excellent Eminem songs, though I didn't expect you to say Soldier (I suppose now that I think of it, it makes sense. The chorus always makes me think of Dagny and Hank). I also really like 'Til I Collapse and a lot of his older stuff (like his first album, Infinite). I always thought it was funny that in the song Criminal he is pretty much telling people that he should not always be taken seriously and then goes on in the song to say a bunch of really horrible stuff, but of course nobody listened to the beginning and he was totally bitched out and protested. Have you ever heard his song Rabbit Run from the 8 Mile soundtrack? That's definitely a favorite as well.

I was also glad to hear you mention Tupac (especially One Day At A Time, I love that!). I haven't heard too many of his songs, but I really like him (even the "gangster" stuff, imagine how silly it looks when a 17 year old white girl sings Hit 'Em Up at the top of her lungs in her car). I'll have to check out a couple of those songs you mentioned.

That really is a wide variety of music! I can't say that I've really heard all of them. I definitely love Rush and Queen (my dad always calls Mercury "Freddie the Faggot" <_< ) and Lynyrd Skynyrd. There's a Boston song on Guitar Hero 1 that I play all the time. I rock at it, too. :lol:

Kori

There's no WAY anyone could make me change the music I listen to!

I think that's one thing we ALL have in common.

Remember how happy the people in Afghanistan were when the US toppled the Taliban and the people could once again listen to music freely without fear of reprisals?

Judith

:) Ya gotta fight for your right to...listen to ya music.

It's so weird to chat with someone from a different part of the world and they haven't heard of Marilyn Manson or some other very famous musician. :blink:

Honey, you groovin' on some Canadian country? Shania Twain, EH? [by the way EH is EH]

Well, you would think I would know this about my girlfriend. Allright!

When we meet up, we'll be "having a party, a party for two! There won't be anybody--except me and you!"

Get down, baby! :smile:

I need to turn you on to Johnny Cash, too.

LMAO. Eh is eh, huh?

It definitely is up there in the totally-weird-but-somehow-works category that Johnny Cash covered a Trent Reznor/NIN tune. Think about it! Ah, the commonality of music and songwriting, yes!! What I want to know is the circumstances whereby Johnny Cash was listening to a NIN album. That's weird (but not by musician standards, I guess).

rde

Another guilty pleasure: Tom Jones. Atomic Playboy quality, just not full Elvis power.

Edited by Rich Engle