Massacre... a consequence of US leaving Iraq...

moralist

On CNN last night there was a quick interview with some expert advocating against the US going in solo, boots and all, reactively. Agreed, completely. Then he said that going in would only "radicalize" other watching Muslims further.

Do you remember anything else about the interview, like which program or host? I'd like to know who that expert is. There are advocates for the whole range of options, from do nothing to 'crush ISIS.'

I am interested in knowing who the expert was referring to ... who would be further 'radicalized' in the event of further US military action, and what 'radicalize' meant in context.

[...]

So, what might the US do if Assad does not defend this minority against ISIS (he has built his appeal as 'protector of the minorities' -- Shia, Ismaili, Christian, Syriac, Alawite, Druze)?

What should the US do if this scenario came to pass? I certainly don't know. I envy those whose certainties are solid and unwavering.

He was speaking to (I think) Hala Gorani, who became quite intense on the necessity for US intervention. But, this fellow expounded, there will be many people who "have memories" of the earlier US invasion. So, any incursion will "radicalize" moderate [one presumes] Iraqis. Which I think is BS. It's either tip-toeing appeasement from him, or at least, speculative mind reading, presuming that otherwise peaceful people will react radically and violently, en masse...and, for him, justifiably too!

Contrarily, I'm hearing or inferring from a few Muslims here, that its their great hope that the US and Britain helps rid Iraq and Syria of ISIS. This could be a very general sentiment to many Arab nations. It would be nice if they were more honest and explicit about it...

But you've made a solid case for principles - having, and acting upon them. It is precisely for the reason of highly complex, ethical situations -and the confusing ethnicities and politics of that region you know well- that one (or a country) needs objective, moral standards of behaviour. It is in one's self-preservation to have unwavering, forthright and long-term principles. But also to establish clear borderlines with avowed enemies, as much as loyalties with friends. It seems the only way to find some clarity in a mess such as this, is to consider and act with one's own rational morality, disregarding how others MAY feel or respond afterwards. Otherwise one takes impetuous, ad hoc actions - or falls to the other extreme of impotence to act decisively.

Then and only then, (as the government of a country) resulting policies can be applied to specific contexts: like who is in most desparate need, and to what extent they should they be helped. Which enemy is more of a threat than another. Which nest of baby vipers should be wiped out. When to act, and when not.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says it all.

He wrote his own stuff, BTW. This is from the 1960s before Nikita K. lost power. This is what a professional actor can sound like, even the second rate one he was. The myths he is representing resonate with Americans who love to fight, for warrior DNA is in our--most of our--blood.

--Brant

Well it resonates because there is a lot of truth in that speech, and yes I know it was his speech(parts of it) when he was campaigning for Goldwater.

Compare that speech back then with Obama's " You didn't build that."

When asked what his strategy for dealing with ISIS ? "I don't have a plan".

Your border with Mexico is not secure, 6000 foriegn students here on student visas are not in class and have vanished. Where are they and what are they doing hmmm?

ISIS is planning strikes via terrorist bombings or what ever nefarious plans terrorists do in the next month or three on US and Canadian soil.

No plans eh Obama? Maybe step down then.

Your border with Mexico is not secure, 6000 foriegn students here on student visas are not in class and have vanished. Where are they and what are they doing hmmm?

I think they are installing these towers...

Seventeen fake cellphone towers were discovered across the U.S. last week, according to a report

in Popular Science.

Rather than offering you cellphone service, the towers appear to be connecting to nearby phones, bypassing their encryption, and either tapping calls or reading texts.

I am sure this is isolated ... oops nope...

Although it is unclear who owns the towers, ESD found that several of them were located near U.S. military bases.

"Whose interceptor is it? Who are they, that's listening to calls around military bases? Is it just the U.S. military, or are they foreign governments doing it? The point is: we don't really know whose they are," Goldsmith said to Popular Science.

It's probably not the NSA — that agency can tap all it wants without the need for bogus towers, Venture Beat reported:

Surprised they let this fact out of the bag ...

Computer World points out that the fake towers give themselves away by crushing down the performance of your phone from 4G to 2G while the intercept is taking place. So if you see your phone operating on a slow download signal while you're near a military base ... maybe make that call from somewhere else.

Curious how blind we are.

Maybe someone should check the county permits issued for those locations...

A...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mysterious-fake-cellphone-towers-intercepting-162645809.html

Sheer brilliance!!!

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/moderate-islam-is-multiculturalism-misspelled/

The day is getting closer where no one will be able to deny that Islam is the problem. The sooner it comes the better.

Thanks for posting that great article. You made my day. :smile:

If you want to find moderate Islam, browse the newspaper editorials after a terrorist attack or take a course on Islamic religion taught by a Unitarian Sociologist wearing fake native jewelry.

This really cracked me up! :laugh:

Greg

It's bigoted propaganda with opinions presented as facts. (There are no this... there are no that... to which anyone can say, yes there are, so there...)

It includes massive blank-outs.

It's an op-ed and nothing more serious than that.

It gives its opinion without facts. Well, I can play that game, too. Bigotry is my opinion of it. I don't need no facts, either.

I, for one, refuse to blank-out the existence of moderate Muslims just because of my revulsion of ISIS. It might be because I personally knew too many to do that and be honest with myself.

Michael

I, for one, refuse to blank-out the existence of moderate Muslims just because of my revulsion of ISIS. It might be because I personally knew too many to do that and be honest with myself.

Michael

I do too, Michael... and in my opinion the good Muslims are bad, and the bad Muslims are good.

Greg

Haha Greg that's exactly it! The ones I AM friends with drink, eat ham in pineapple pizza, love sports etc. In short they don't take their religion seriously, are not afraid to admit that they have Jewish people as friends too. They may play the "roll" when with mom and dad because they are "old school" but they don't participate in "Free Palestine" rallies. (It is a short list though).

On the other hand... I was engaged to a Sunni girl years ago, that completely went to shit when she finally after almost 3 years told her parents who promptly shipped her off to Pakistan and married her off....so yea I'm a little biased as I ran into racism against meeeeeee.

Greg,

That same rhetorical form can be applied to Christianity, that the only good Christian is a fundamentalist Christian, which is a bad person, and only bad Christians make good people (or to use your exact format: the good Christians are bad, and the bad Christians are good).

How does that sound turned around? Not so clever?

:)

Besides, it seems like I heard that same kind of logic growing up, but with reference to blacks instead of religious people, except they didn't use the word "black"... (paraphrased: the good blacks are bad, and the bad blacks are good).

How about it? Not so clever, either?

I have no resonance with that line of preaching to a choir that sings hymns to hatred. This form of collectivism is one of the few epistemological errors that make me feel contempt.

Michael

This one is is is...a model citizen? Christ if he were any dummer you would have to water him twice a week!

I saw the "interview" and I thought Hannity did a terrible job against him.

A...

Greg,

That same rhetorical form can be applied to Christianity, that the only good Christian is a fundamentalist Christian, which is a bad person, and only bad Christians make good people (or to use your exact format: the good Christians are bad, and the bad Christians are good).

How does that sound turned around? Not so clever?

Whether it is true or false surely depends on the doctrines and tenets of Christianity. If being a true Christian means to be bad in terms of objective morality, then it's true to say that a good christian is bad and a bad christian is good. This has nothing to do with being clever, and in terms of how it feels to Greg, entirely irrelevant. It doesn't matter how he feels, it just matters what the facts are.

Jules,

Choudary is an Islamist terrorist who has not yet been caught red-handed. He's sly and cunning, but I believe he will eventually slip up and go down in flames.

Here is something comical with him, though. It's from TheBlaze. CNN host, Brian Stelter, is trying to get one up on Hannity. He's going to give the terrorist a chance to talk freely without interruption and, hopefully, show he's not such a bad guy after all--maybe even bring him around to reason. He didn't say that explicitly, but from his opening attitude, you know that is what he was trying to pull off.

So it's a hoot watching Stelter morph into disbelief. :) Especially the part where Stelter tried to make an exception for journalists, while Choudary yapped on basically saying (in between the lines) that journalists are no different than others when it comes to cutting off their heads, and when Choudary talked about others not having a sense of humor regarding him doing the mike test with dates of terrorist attacks.

A CNN Host Let a Muslim Cleric Speak Freely. What He Said about Journalism, Terrorism and Sharia Law in America Left the Host Speechless

Here is the video (I had to search for it as it is no longer available on the article at TheBlaze):

http://youtu.be/7Fcl8VdFbWM

Michael

The Muslim culture out of which Islamist terrorists act is comparatively degenerate and grossly inferior overall to American-western culture, which is secular-Christian. Bigotry against that religion is not the same as bigotry against any particular adherent of it, but against particular negative manifestations such as state religion, Jihad, pedophilia, slavery, forced conversion, conquest, death as a value, etc.

What is going on in Iraq and Syria is a manifestation of a conflict between the two major Muslim sects. Getting rid of Assad is one front. Syria is allied, at least de facto, with Iran and Iran is after Israel. Saudi Arabia's ruling elite is threatened for having its head cut off by ISIS types though they are from the same basic sect. So they are starting to shift toward Israel against Iran while ironically hoping ISIS gets slaughtered to protect their own status quo.

It's all state politics with a religious state by state breakdown. Iraq is three segments north to south, breaking up into each. For the United States (and NATO) the question (now) is what is to be the object of its intervention? To keep Assad in power merely blast ISIS in Iraq and deny it its necessary base to wage war in Syria against Assad. Etc. Unfortunately, the U.S. doesn't seem to know what it is doing.

What the west cannot do is wage war against the Muslim religion as such. What it can do is wage war against state sanction of Islam Jihad. Take Qatar and its funding of Hamas. That should be stoppable. So, you bully governments to stop sponsorship letting them handle it internally. Unfortunately, Iran is almost immune to that approach. The great overt coming war will be between the two major Muslim sects with Israel allied with one in an Israel-Iran gotterdammerung. (The assumption is Ukraine doesn't get out of hand first.)

--Brant

Brant wrote:

Getting rid of Assad is one front . . . . The great overt coming war will be between the two major Muslim sects with Israel allied with one in an Israel-Iran gotterdammerung.

end quote

Notice the Machiavellian irony between helping rebels against Assad and then contradictorily supporting Assad against the ISIL rebels? What a theme for a satirical cartoon titled "The Dance Macabre" or "Variations on a Theme by Putinini".

Its odd but since rebels took over the Syrian checkpoint leading to Israel, I have not heard of any conflicts there. Perhaps ISIL is just biding its time. They may also be wary of Israel's might when you are on their doorstep. And what happened to all those Syrian artillery positions and garrisons on the Israeli border? Do the rebels now own them?

As far as Israel and potential Iranian nukes I hold that as a barometer of just how close Iran is to creating them. Israel will know, just as a park ranger is keeping an eye on a grizzly bear too near a camp site, when to strike or if a strike is necessary. I hope they can hold off until after 2016. Even if Hickory Clinton is elected, that eventuality is better than the current lack of U.S. leadership.