The OL "tribe" and the Tribal Mindset

Michael Stuart Kelly

Areopagitican,

I actually feel your pain.

Speaking of Paine, his view was that society is borne of man's goodness and government springs from, and is needed because of, his wickedness.

In find a kernel of truth in this, although I would not use that language.

On the Tea Party movement, if Palin embraces it over the Republican party as time and events unfold (which is a definite possibility), it will become a viable political option. If not, the Tea Party is still a great way to throw a collar and chain on the Republican party in the name of individual rights/small government/low taxes/strong defense. And the Democratic party, too, for that matter.

btw - I like your questioning and interest in probing issues irrespective of how it sounds in order to understand them.

Michael

I do see a future for the Tea Party! In any event, I agree it will continue to focus the debate on government largess.

And that is quite a future.

Areopagitican,

I actually feel your pain.

Speaking of Paine, his view was that society is borne of man's goodness and government springs from, and is needed because of, his wickedness.

In find a kernel of truth in this, although I would not use that language.

On the Tea Party movement, if Palin embraces it over the Republican party as time and events unfold (which is a definite possibility), it will become a viable political option. If not, the Tea Party is still a great way to throw a collar and chain on the Republican party in the name of individual rights/small government/low taxes/strong defense. And the Democratic party, too, for that matter.

btw - I like your questioning and interest in probing issues irrespective of how it sounds in order to understand them.

Michael

I do see a future for the Tea Party! In any event, I agree it will continue to focus the debate on government largess.

Let's hope so. The Republicans have not proven to be a strong counterweight.

Bill P

Let's hope so. The Republicans have not proven to be a strong counterweight.

Bill P

The danger is twofold: that it will be co-opted by the GOP establishment, and end up simply marching back like meek sheep into the GOP fold, with no gain for liberty; or that it will be co-opted by a populist style demagogue (the sort that Sarah Palin is thought to be by many, although I don't think it would be her) and end up combining fiscal conservativism with nativism and Religious Right morality, essentially an anti-liberty movement.

Only if it can avoid these parallel dangers will it have a pro-liberty effect.

Jeffrey S.

Jeffrey S.

I just saw something that cracked me up over on SLOP. Once again, true to form, Objectivist Liar and Hater Lindsay Perigo blathers his bilish spewness.

His lame last September call to "prevent inroads into Objectivism by Pedo-Brandroids" fell flatter than a pancake, but he just now started the new year reprising it (see here).

Reprised because Pedo-Brandroids and TAS ...

Submitted by Lindsay Perigo on Fri, 2010-01-01 07:16.

... are holding two joint conferences this year. That truly must be the end of the road and the bottom of the barrel for TAS (The KASSless Society). Special guest speakers: Nathan and Babs. BOYCOTT the bastards in the name of all that's decent!!

I wonder if Perigo will boycott it as he is asking others to do.

You never know. In years gone by, this dumbass flew halfway around the world to give a "Hate Barbara" speech at the same time as—and quite near to—the TAS conference so he could leech off its public. He obviously has no public of his own other than a small online group in his personality cult and people who tune in once in a while to watch the SLOP Opera.

Social metaphysics, anyone?

Michael

I just saw something that cracked me up over on SLOP. Once again, true to form, Objectivist Liar and Hater Lindsay Perigo blathers his bilish spewness.

His lame last September call to "prevent inroads into Objectivism by Pedo-Brandroids" fell flatter than a pancake, but he just now started the new year reprising it (see here).

... are holding two joint conferences this year. That truly must be the end of the road and the bottom of the barrel for TAS (The KASSless Society). Special guest speakers: Nathan and Babs. BOYCOTT the bastards in the name of all that's decent!!

You never know. In years gone by, this dumbass flew halfway around the world to give a "Hate Barbara" speech at the same time as—and quite near to—the TAS conference so he could leech off its public. He obviously has no public of his own other than a small online group in his personality cult and people who tune in once in a while to watch the SLOP Opera.

Michael

As bad as SOLOP was before I stopped posting there, it has since turned into a fulminating cesspool on some threads I was involved with and a new one I was not.

--Brant

Michael

As bad as SOLOP was before I stopped posting there, it has since turned into a fulminating cesspool on some threads I was involved with and a new one I was not.

--Brant

sad, isn't it... and when first joined many years ago, was never impressed with him and wondered how he ever got to be considered as an O'ist in the first place...

A very wicked little birdie just now sent me a link to a photo. The message was entitled, "The ventriloquist and his, like, totally independent friend."

The two people featured (for those who do not know) are Lindsay Perigo and Ellen Stuttle.

ellenLinz.jpg

What a hoot!

LOL...

That might call for a drink...

Oops...

:)

Michael

Better hair than Lindsay actually has - rofl...

I don’t understand why Ed Hudgins posts there. Equally mysterious, why does Jabba let him post there? Obviously it lends SLOP intellectual respectability, he needs some rational voices on his forum, but isn’t Jabba rather tone deaf on that score? His writing is crap, elitism asserted through vulgarity in the arts, and shallow rehashes and often misapplications of O’ist thought in other areas. I remember Robert Campbell tried to nail him down on an epistemological point (this was a while ago, I think it was the arbitrary assertion topic), and there was no indication he had a clue on the subject.

Blech, that’s all the thought I can direct towards that non-arthropod invertebrate for now, its Alka-Seltzer time.

Some are choosing to make speculations and connections between elements of Perigo's sexuality — or what they believe it to be — and statements in this snipe-fest.

That is entirely improper, and it doesn't belong in a rational discussion.

No speculations or connections were made, Jabba makes a practice of boasting about the intimate details of his bedroom activities, I’ll dig up a link if need be. You frequent there, you must have seen instances of his vulgar sex talk. GS added the near-obligatory Seinfeld reference (“not that there's anything wrong with that”), and there was no gay-bashing intent, just mockery of someone who richly deserves worse, using his own words. And some charming animation. bananadance.gif

You’re getting schoolmarmish, do that with adult individualists and you’re liable to get the opposite of the intended effect. This isn’t a scholarly journal, try going with the flow.

PS. FWIW, and here I do speculate, I don’t think Jabba could get laid in a morgue.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

I don't understand why Ed Hudgins posts there. Equally mysterious, why does Jabba let him post there?

Dennis,

I found the answers to this very easy. I wrote a satire about it back around the time TAS canceled their invitation for him to speak. See the link below. I just reread it and cracked up, even if I say so myself.

Objectivist Schism Blues

Michael

Dennis,

Just to show that nothing has changed since I wrote that piece, see Objectivist Liar and Hater Lindsay Perigo's recent post (Sun, 2010-01-03 08:07) in his comment about Barbara Branden:

Babs has the nerve to talk about empathy? That lying, smearing low-life bitch has the nerve to talk about empathy??

At least nobody—outside his toadies—takes this dumbass seriously anymore when he bitches about Barbara.

And they don't think he means it.

But he means it.

Michael

A very wicked little birdie just now sent me a link to a photo. The message was entitled, "The ventriloquist and his, like, totally independent friend."

The two people featured (for those who do not know) are Lindsay Perigo and Ellen Stuttle.

ellenLinz.jpg

What a hoot!

LOL...

That might call for a drink...

I think you meant, "That might call for 'mixing up some paints.'"

J

Robert,

In the metaphorical fulminating cesspool, we can start by looking at the chemistry of the mirror neurons in the brain.

And yes, I believe they can be dangerous.

Spite breeds spite qua biology. MRI scans are proving this.

And volition? All we have to do is look around us to see how spite impacts volition.

Michael

Consider SLOP's "Gregster." He's turned into Perigo's thug in residence. For me now, at least, the place is a shit hole. Perigo himself foams at the mouth at any mention of or allusion to Barbara Branden most of which he readily manufactures in his own head.

--Brant

Consider SLOP's "Gregster." He's turned into Perigo's thug in residence. For me now, at least, the place is a shit hole. Perigo himself foams at the mouth at any mention of or allusion to Barbara Branden most of which he readily manufactures in his own head.

--Brant

Brant it surely hasn't taken you this long to figure that out? Gregster abused me back in Feb/March 2009 when I was buying US shares, calling DOW 10,000 and saying the stimulus would 'work' - calling me a mad bitch and being generally profane. Happily success is my best revenge as I have had the best year ever.

Many go on about Ayn Rand's faults - to my mind her only fault was convincing clip-on-tie middle management dimwits like Gregster that they were all suppressed Warren Buffet's, Beethoven's and Einsteins who would flourish but for the awful state that suppressed them. Such creeps infest every walkway and underpass of life - business, and government - grabbing secretaries' backsides and so on...

--Brant

Brant it surely hasn't taken you this long to figure that out? Gregster abused me back in Feb/March 2009 when I was buying US shares, calling DOW 10,000 and saying the stimulus would 'work' - calling me a mad bitch and being generally profane. Happily success is my best revenge as I have had the best year ever.

Many go on about Ayn Rand's faults - to my mind her only fault was convincing clip-on-tie middle management dimwits like Gregster that they were all suppressed Warren Buffet's, Beethoven's and Einsteins who would flourish but for the awful state that suppressed them. Such creeps infest every walkway and underpass of life - business, and government - grabbing secretaries' backsides and so on...

Congratulations. Don't forget to take some profits. I'm considering distressed fix it up real estate.

I've been effectively Internet active for over 20 years and flame wars don't tend to impress themselves on me, being well seasoned by the real stuff. The best place I've ever posted was the old Atlantis, destroyed by Jimmy Wales pre-Wikipedia. It was rough and tough and pretty much self-regulating. (The original place was dial-up Ft Freedom, created by my friend Petr Beckmann. The text printed on the screen at fast typist speed.)

--Brant

Michael,

It does read like a whine.

Lindsay Perigo had quit ranting about me after I stopped posting over there. But my one-sentence welcome to Adonis Vlahos prompted another "Nambla-Campbla."

Yawn....

Robert Campbell

Michael,

Lindsay Perigo had quit ranting about me after I stopped posting over there. But my one-sentence welcome to Adonis Vlahos prompted another "Nambla-Campbla."

Yawn....

Robert Campbell

Down to below even his usual non-existent standards.

He needs to go to Wikipedia for some new material.

--Brant

Michael,

Yawn....

Robert Campbell

I think that what Adonis needs to do is to take a more romantic approach to dealing with Pigero. Maybe take something like Mario Lanza's "I'll Walk With God," rename it "I'll Walk With Allah," and rewrite the lyrics to express Adonis' religious beliefs. Or take Schubert's "Ave Maria," rename it "There is Only One God, and Mohammad is His Prophet," rewrite the lyrics so that it's a song about grand Islamic heroism, and soon Pigero will be "value-swooning," weeping and moaning in ecstasy, and eager to be as tolerant as he is of Christian artistic content.

J

A fun scene from The West Wing where Bartlet confronts a Dr. Laura type about the barbarism advocated in the Bible: