Donald Trump

9 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

If a differential equation had teeth (it doesn't)  Trump would not recognize it if it bit him in the ass.

A partial differential equation is the foundation for part of finance -- the Black-Scholes equation for option pricing. Moreover, the Black-Scholes formula (solution of the equation) suffices for only simple options. More complicated options require numerical methods (like finite difference or Monte Carlo).

Did Donald Trump learn all this? Likely not. He went to Wharton in the 1960's, and Black and Scholes published their seminal paper in 1973. Numerical methods were developed even later.

17 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Greg,

Tony Schwartz is a trip. There's a whole other side to him than the honorable virtuous ghostwriter. He got a measure of fame co-writing The Art of the Deal that he has never been able to replicate since. And, believe me, he is crazy-anxious to replicate it.

Oh, he got a small bump with self-help guru Jim Loehr, but nothing like the center of the hurricane that Trump does. He couldn't even make a thing with Eisner of Disney work correctly.

During the election, the mainstream press put him on all the shows because he bashed Trump and off he went imagining he had struck gold again. But it was fool's gold and off he goes into the mist of obscurity again.

It might be interesting for critics to ask why Trump went on to write one best-seller after another with a string of co-authors, but Tony Schwartz kinda bottomed out. (But don't hold your breath waiting for them to ask this. :) )

So where's the real talent?

Sorry, Charlie, Tony the Tuna is Charlie the Tuna's fishy soulmate. Only the best goes into the limelight and stays there...

:)

btw - There's another story about why he stopped writing for Trump and it has nothing to do with a sudden attack of moral superiority. It seems like he got greedy and Trump got someone else... As in "Your fired!" :) 

Michael

Thanks for the backstory, Michael.

Someone who can only record the acheivements of someone else has to be dissatisfied with their own life. So it makes sense to me that he'd be disgruntled and take it out on Trump. It's an example of blaming (unjustly accusing) others for the consequences of their own actions... and that's toxic emotional poison.

Greg

16 hours ago, Marc said:

He became President with his little grasp of science and technology . Won the election on social media 

...and brilliantly so.

The rewards of success in life go to the doers.  Following the fine silver thread of purpose requires spontantously acting on opportunities in the moment they present themselves.

So it's been almost two weeks of Trump getting what he wants: inter-agency and public confusion, the perception of incompetence,  leaks about disunion in the White House, scorn over the stumbles  ...

On 1/29/2017 at 1:30 PM, william.scherk said:
On 1/29/2017 at 0:38 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I think the rest of the ban will proceed exactly how Trump wants it to without strenuous opposition

I do not see this happening. [...]

The opposition in this case was to effects of the rushed roll-out of a policy directive.  The slop and confusion may have been intended, but I don't think we will get confirmation on that.  "Yeah, we got exactly what we wanted: inter-agency confusion, the perception of incompetence, and leaks about disunion in the White House.  It's all gravy."

The ban roll-out was botched, apparently due to last-minute intervention by the Counsel to the President, who insisted on the inclusion of green-card holders against the advice of DHS. 

The 9th circuit decision, all 29 shriekingly crazy CommSymp pages of it, is here.

Basically, the problem child was, 

Once the concern about green-card holders was identified, Trump could have simply signed a half-page tweak to his executive order, making crystal clear that U.S. permanent residents were exempt from the order. But he didn't do that, apparently because he or his aides did not want to admit any flaws in the drafting or vetting process. A formal change to the order would have amounted to a concession of such imperfections.

Was it only yesterday that President Twitter ALL-CAPS told the guilty-of-allowing-terror liars, lawyers and so-called judges that he would SEE YOU IN COURT?

Yeahbut ...

The Red Hat whips may encourage us to repeat after them: No mistakes were made by the President or his top advisers.  

Botch the roll-out. Botch the PR war. Botch the legal heft of the 'guidance' issued by your lawyer. Completely botch your case in court. Blame everyone else -- and issue a new, properly-vetted Executive Action in reaction. 

In the end, a quite-popular tightening of entry procedures and security screening and a refugee 'pause' will probably be accomplished by the administration, with due deliberation, transparency and foresight. The waste of time and goodwill from the botched roll-out can be calculated later. 

Edited by william.scherk

24 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

... the perception of incompetence...

William,

LOL...

In your dreams.

Reporters are constantly talking about Trump speed, which they equate with the speed of light, and they can't keep up with him. The perception is that Trump is too competent, not that he's incompetent. I can supply a crapload of quotes, too.

Don't you worry your little heart about the travel ban. Trump is going to get it done one way or another. That's what producers do. When they hit an obstacle, they don't worry about gotcha or what other people think of them. They analyze the obstacle, then take it out and keep building the project.

Keep watching...

Michael

btw - The left will not understand the following, but Trump supporters do. I think the rest of the country does, too. I know the illegal immigrants and terrorists who managed to sneak into the US do.

From CBS Los Angeles:

Downtown Protesters Claim ICE Sweeps Of Immigrants Are Spiking

The left will try to play gotcha with the so-called judges (Rush Limbaugh says "Black robes matter" :) ) over the travel ban and not realize that the topic in the headline above is part of the same project.

Trump is cleaning up the immigration mess. A setback in one aspect doesn't mean a setback in the project. He's going full steam ahead on countless fronts and this travel ban thing is only a temporary detail, not even a bruise.

Michael

30 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
46 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

No mistakes were made by the President or his top advisers.  

Don't you worry your little heart about the travel ban. 

There is no travel ban, yet. As I indicated above, the irony is that Trump fucked up a decree on what is a reasonably popular set of policies. Some legally-sound executive action will come about, I believe.  I think a purring condescension is mistaken -- it is those who support Trump blindly who will not worry. He can do no wrong. Don't worry, don't think, don't analyze for yourself, don't criticize The Leader.  Be the needle in the groove, sing the song.  That is just not normally your argument, Michael.

My end point above: the  roll-out was effectively consigned to failure by news that Trump will not appeal (nor likely wait for trial in Seattle on the questions the 9th did not entertain). Curious readers might then wonder why the administration is effectively giving up that fight to preserve his decree.   Isn't there some analogy that can be slung in to indicate perfection?

His Executive Orders Don't Fall Down!

14 hours ago, merjet said:

Mostly ignorant blather dressed up to look unlike blather.

Public debt de facto doesn't exist. It only exists de jure. Private debt is another matter. You and I have no printing press in our basements to pay off any debts we may have.

Mandatory Federal spending is also another matter, but no SS benefits will be cut except as they are eroded by inflation. The technical solvency problem is solved merely by Congress as it obtains. In truth, SS benefits are paid out of Federal revenues--which are tax conglomerated--and deficit spending. That ole printing press. SS taxes are just sent immediately to the Treasury Dept after the SS Administration is given an IOU--non-negotiable bonds. That's the "Trust Fund"--and that's fraud, BTW.

--Brant

8 hours ago, moralist said:

Thanks for the backstory, Michael.

Someone who can only record the acheivements of someone else has to be dissatisfied with their own life. So it makes sense to me that he'd be disgruntled and take it out on Trump. It's an example of blaming (unjustly accusing) others for the consequences of their own actions... and that's toxic emotional poison.

Greg

I had a higher opinion of Boswell.

--Brant

31 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

I think a purring condescension is mistaken -- it is those who support Trump blindly who will not worry. He can do no wrong. Don't worry, don't think, don't analyze for yourself, don't criticize The Leader.  Be the needle in the groove, sing the song.  That is just not normally your argument, Michael.

William,

That's the way I respond to the covert manipulation of constantly framing President Trump as an idiot.

Read a little more carefully and you will find where I am concerned about Trump. It's in at least one recent post, probably more. Or continue wallowing in the mainstream press delusion that their nonstop attacks on President Trump are somehow relevant to anyone other than their tribe.

Michael

46 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

There is no travel ban, yet. As I indicated above, the irony is that Trump fucked up a decree on what is a reasonably popular set of policies. Some legally-sound executive action will come about, I believe.  I think a purring condescension is mistaken -- it is those who support Trump blindly who will not worry. He can do no wrong. Don't worry, don't think, don't analyze for yourself, don't criticize The Leader.  Be the needle in the groove, sing the song.  That is just not normally your argument, Michael.

My end point above: the  roll-out was effectively consigned to failure by news that Trump will not appeal (nor likely wait for trial in Seattle on the questions the 9th did not entertain). Curious readers might then wonder why the administration is effectively giving up that fight to preserve his decree.   Isn't there some analogy that can be slung in to indicate perfection?

Congress is going to break up the 9th Circuit.

--Brant

the more they try to stop Trump on this the greater the ancillary damage to their La Causa--unfortunately, it will result in an increase in the power of the Chief Executive which will damage my La Causa

On February 9, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The 9th Circuit just ruled against Trump.

This is not good, but it's not President Trump who will suffer.

I hope I'm wrong, but here goes my prediction. I believe there will be some terror attacks coming from terrorists who enter the country under this decision. The Americans who die in those attacks and their families will be the ones who will bear the cost.

It's pretty obvious (to me and many experts, although I'm not one of them) that the Supreme Court will rule in favor of Trump. Once that happens, if a terror attack occurs around that time, the population will be spitting red-eyed furious with the 9th Circuit and even with that so-called judge who started it. And how will that fury manifest itself? Congress will review and redo the entire judicial system (see here for a very plausible outcome). The people will demand it and the members of Congress will not have the fortitude to stand up to their furious constituents.

It won't be good for the liberal benches.

My greatest fear, though, is that this will consolidate an enormous amount of unexpected assumed power into the hands of President Trump. A windfall, so to speak. I am pretty sure he will not abuse that power (but who knows?--power does tend to corrupt).

But what of those who come after him? They will have that extra power, too. What will they do with it?

Michael

This needs a subtweet , so there / Well done leader

53 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

What is the percentage of his blind worshipers to his other supporters?

--Brant

got a ratio?

2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

So it's been almost two weeks of Trump getting what he wants: inter-agency and public confusion, the perception of incompetence,  leaks about disunion in the White House, scorn over the stumbles 

Maybe it's a perception of competence.

--Brant

fear that?

3 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

What is the percentage of his blind worshippers to his other supporters?

I'm not one of the blind ones.

Trump is a mixed bag. However, his positives outweigh his negatives and that's fine with me.

Greg

4 hours ago, Disemvoweled Brant Gaede said:
6 hours ago, Disemvoweled william.scherk said:

S t's bn lmst tw wks f Trmp gttng wht h wnts: ntr-gncy nd pblc cnfsn, th prcptn f ncmptnc, lks bt dsnn n th Wht Hs, scrn vr th stmbls

Myb t's  prcptn f cmptnc.

Hs Xctv Rdrs Dn't Fll Dwn!

Ba’al wrote: Franklin died less than one hundred years after Newton published Principia Mathematica. end quote

Who are the most important people in the continuing history of the world? Politicians, or philosophers like Aristotle and Ayn Rand? Industrialists and innovators? Or scientists and mathematicians like Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein? I wonder which of those two holds the title of “best functioning brain?”

Peter 

A perception of confidence and competence . . . I know a lot of us on the side of freedom and constitutionalism, are watching Trump with a bit of wariness and a big basket of hope. He has done a lot of good in a very short time. I still give him a rating of 95 out of 100 rotten tomatoes. It is morning in America.

I was very surprised to see the head honcho, Abe, of Japan speak so candidly at their joint press conference before they went off to play golf together. It shows you that we do have a president who encourages openness and “freedom of action” from our allies . . . and that those same allies will continue to be our allies in the face of a more belligerent China and Russia.

And instead of starting a fire storm an administration spokesman assured the world we still support a “one China policy.” Yeah, right. Russia may send Snowden back to the U.S. as a “gift,” says Fox News. Uh, oh. I think Trump said that dude was a traitor and should be executed. It will be fun to watch the firestorm . . . from a distance, if that happens.

Peter  

And now we bring back America’s program, “The Days of Our Lives.” For-warned is for-armed. Intellectual ammunition is what Ayn Rand called it, and the following article will help you see through the hateful, malignant left’s, future shenanigans. Personally, with Trump’s and America’s nearly guaranteed success in business, jobs, and growth, I see the exact opposite from the following article.

Peter

From MSN. Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s, as published by our content partner, and do not necessarily represent the views of MSN or Microsoft: Good news: In two years, we’ll have a new president. Bad news: If we make it that long. My “good” prediction is based on the Law of the Pendulum. Enough Americans, including most independent voters, will be so ready to shed Donald Trump and his little shop of horrors that the 2018 midterm elections are all but certain to be a landslide — no, make that a mudslide — sweep of the House and Senate. If Republicans took both houses in a groundswell of the people’s rejection of Obamacare, Democrats will take them back in a tsunami of protest. Once ensconced, it would take a Democratic majority approximately 30 seconds to begin impeachment proceedings selecting from an accumulating pile of lies, overreach and just plain sloppiness. That is, assuming Trump hasn’t already been shown the exit.

Or that he hasn’t declared martial law (all those anarchists, you know) and effectively silenced dissent. We’re already well on our way to the latter via Trump’s incessant attacks on the media — “among the most dishonest human beings on Earth” — and press secretary Sean Spicer’s rabid-chihuahua, daily press briefings. (Note to Sean: Whatever he’s promised you, it’s not worth becoming Melissa McCarthy’s punching bag. But really, don’t stop.)

With luck, and Cabinet-level courage that is not much in evidence, there’s a chance we won’t have to wait two long years, during which, let’s face it, anything could happen. In anticipation of circumstances warranting a speedier presidential replacement, wiser minds added Section 4 to the 25th Amendment, which removes the president if a majority of the Cabinet and the vice president think it necessary, i.e., if the president is injured or falls too ill to serve. Or, by extension, by being so incompetent — or not-quite-right — that he or she poses a threat to the nation and must be removed immediately and replaced by the vice president. Aren’t we there, yet?

Thus far, Trump and his henchmen have conducted a full frontal assault on civil liberties, open government and religious freedom, as well as instigating or condoning a cascade of ethics violations ranging from the serious (business conflicts of interest) to the absurd (attacking a department store for dropping his daughter’s fashion line). And, no, it’s not just a father defending his daughter. It’s the president of the United States bullying a particular business and, more generally, making a public case against free enterprise.

To an objective observer, it would seem impossible to defend the perilous absurdities emanating from the White House and from at least one executive agency, the Agriculture Department, which recently scrubbed animal abuse reports from its website, leaving puppies, kittens, horses and others to fend for themselves.  In a hopeful note, a few Republicans are speaking out, but the list is short. Rep. Jason Chaffetz recently got a taste of what’s ahead for Republican incumbents. Facing an unruly crowd at a town hall meeting in Utah, the House Oversight Committee chairman was booed nearly every time he mentioned Trump. Even if many in the crowd were members of opposition groups, the evening provided a glimpse of the next two years. From 2010’s tea party to 2018’s resistance, the pendulum barely had time to pause before beginning its leftward trek.

While we wait for it to someday find the nation’s center, where so many wait impatiently, it seems clear that the president, who swore an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution, has never read it. Nor, apparently, has he ever even watched a Hollywood rendering of the presidency. A single episode of “The West Wing” would have taught Trump more about his new job than he seems to know — or care.

Far more compelling than keeping his promise to act presidential is keeping campaign promises against reason, signing poorly conceived executive orders, bashing the judicial and legislative branches, and tweeting his spleen to a wondering and worrying world. Trump’s childish and petulant manner, meanwhile, further reinforces long-held concerns that this man can’t be trusted to lead a dog-and-pony act, much less the nation. Most worrisome is how long Trump can tolerate the protests, criticisms, humiliations, rebuttals and defeats — and what price he’ll try to exact from those who refused to look away. 

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

And now we bring back America’s program, “The Days of Our Lives.” For-warned is for-armed. Intellectual ammunition is what Ayn Rand called it, and the following article will help you see through the hateful, malignant left’s, future shenanigans. Personally, with Trump’s and America’s nearly guaranteed success in business, jobs, and growth, I see the exact opposite from the following article. 

Peter, get used to 4 years of infantile leftist trumphate. The spoiled parasites have had their way for so many years it's just going to be one long tantrum. lol-1.gif

20170210_dems_0.jpg

30.jpg~c200

As much as the right hates the left... they could never match the left's hatred for the right.

Greg

On February 10, 2017 at 8:18 PM, Brant Gaede said:

Mostly ignorant blather dressed up to look unlike blather.

Public debt de facto doesn't exist. It only exists de jure. Private debt is another matter. You and I have no printing press in our basements to pay off any debts we may have.

Mandatory Federal spending is also another matter, but no SS benefits will be cut except as they are eroded by inflation. The technical solvency problem is solved merely by Congress as it obtains. In truth, SS benefits are paid out of Federal revenues--which are tax conglomerated--and deficit spending. That ole printing press. SS taxes are just sent immediately to the Treasury Dept after the SS Administration is given an IOU--non-negotiable bonds. That's the "Trust Fund"--and that's fraud, BTW.

--Brant

I have to say that that was a brilliant explanation , seriously . Well done .