What Recovery?

Selene

The average of 13 prescriptions a year for every person in the US is just to provide an easily understood context of just how many 4 BILLION prescriptions in one year actually is... and that CDC figure is not a lie. It is proof of the American narcoculture. I can understand your reaction because even to mention the fact that America is awash in drugs is akin to blasphemy.

Dude...I am a NY City boy...and you want to tell me about drugs and their availability and use?

Hell, the educational system is one of the biggest suppliers of drugs to our children, particularly male, in their "special education" programs, I.E.P. plans and ADD/ADHD diagnoses.

Additionally, I did not state that the CDC figure is a "lie." I asked you for the 1999 base number that became 5 fold by 2010.

And we all know how perfect the CDC's record has been...it never, ever skewers the data to accomplish a political end, right?

A...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For shits sake. Will you stop classifying beta blockers and blood pressure regulating drugs as narcotics. They are not narcotics.

I fully understand that there are non narcotic drugs, Baal... but that doesn't alter the fact that America is a narcoculture.

I asked you for the 1999 base number that became 5 fold by 2010.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0702-drug-overdose.html

Deaths from Prescription Painkiller Overdoses Rise Sharply Among Women

CDC study shows emergency department visits also on the rise among women

The number of prescription painkiller overdose deaths increased five fold among women between 1999 and 2010, according to a Vital Signs report released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. While men are more likely to die of a prescription painkiller overdose, since 1999 the percentage increase in deaths was greater among women (400 percent in women compared to 265 percent in men). Prescription painkiller overdoses killed nearly 48,000 women between 1999 and 2010.

“Prescription painkiller deaths have skyrocketed in women (6,600 in 2010), four times as many as died from cocaine and heroin combined,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “Stopping this epidemic in women – and men – is everyone’s business. Doctors need to be cautious about prescribing and patients about using these drugs.”

The study includes emergency department visits and deaths related to drug misuse/abuse and overdose, as well as analyses specific to prescription painkillers. The key findings include:

• About 42 women die every day from a drug overdose.
    • Since 2007, more women have died from drug overdoses than from motor vehicle crashes.
    • Drug overdose suicide deaths accounted for 34 percent of all suicides among women compared with 8 percent among men in 2010.
    • More than 940,000 women were seen in emergency departments for drug misuse or abuse in 2010.
  • Prescription painkillers have been a major contributor to increases in drug overdose deaths among women.
    • More than 6,600 women, or 18 women every day, died from a prescription painkiller overdose in 2010.
    • There were four times more deaths among women from prescription painkiller overdose than for cocaine and heroin deaths combined in 2010.
    • In 2010, there were more than 200,000 emergency department visits for opioid misuse or abuse among women; about one every three minutes.

For the Vital Signs report, CDC analyzed data from the National Vital Statistics System (1999-2010) and the Drug Abuse Warning Network public use file (2004-2010).

Previous research has shown that women are more likely to have chronic pain, be prescribed prescription painkillers, be given higher doses, and use them for longer time periods than men. Studies have also shown that women may become dependent on prescription painkillers more quickly than men and may be more likely than men to engage in “doctor shopping” (obtaining prescriptions from multiple prescribers).

“The prescription painkiller problem affects women in different ways than men and all health care providers treating women should be aware of this,” said Linda C. Degutis, Dr.P.H., M.S.N., director of CDC′s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. “Health care providers can help improve the way painkillers are prescribed while making sure women have access to safe and effective pain treatment.”

Steps that health care providers can take when treating women include:

• Following guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing, including screening and monitoring for substance abuse and mental health problems.
  • Using their states’ prescription drug monitoring program; this can help identify patients who may be improperly using opioids and other drugs.
  • Discussing pain treatment options, including ones that do not involve prescription drugs.
  • Discussing the risks and benefits of taking prescription painkillers including when painkillers are taken for chronic conditions, and especially during pregnancy.
  • Avoiding prescribing combinations of prescription painkillers and benzodiazepines unless there is a specific medical indication.

Women can take steps to help stay safe from prescription painkiller overdoses, including:

• Using prescription drugs only as directed by a health care provider.
  • Discussing all medications they are taking with their health care provider, including over-the-counter medications (such as for allergies).
  • Discussing pregnancy plans with their health care provider before taking prescription painkillers.
  • Disposing of medications properly, as soon as the course of treatment is done. Not keeping prescription medications around “just in case.”
  • Helping prevent misuse and abuse by not selling or sharing prescription drugs. Never using another person’s prescription drugs.
  • Getting help for substance abuse problems (1-800-662-HELP) and calling Poison Help (1-800-222-1222) with questions about medicines.

CDC's Injury Center works to protect the safety of everyone, every day. For more information about prescription drug overdoses, please visit www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Poisoning.

Vital Signs is a CDC report that appears on the first Tuesday of the month as part of the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, or MMWR. The report provides the latest data and information on key health indicators. These are cancer prevention, obesity, tobacco use, motor vehicle passenger safety, prescription drug overdose, HIV/AIDS, alcohol use, health care–associated infections, cardiovascular health, teen pregnancy, food safety and viral hepatitis.

###

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICESicon_out.png

Essentially, working backwards, it was approximately 1,300 in 1999, or about 3.5 per day.

Seems pretty miniscule in a nation of over 300,000,000.

Here in Vegas the drug cannabis is presently "permitted" if one has a doctors recommendation, which is quite easy to obtain. Once you have that you fill out some forms and send them, along with a check for $150, to the thugs in the legislature. A photo id is then obtained from the DMV for $20. You now have the blessing of the State Vatican.

OK, now you are considered "legal" & ready to go. Obtaining (medical grade) cannabis can be done by "donating" a payment to the cooperatives and collectives in the amount they deem is fair, depending on the weight & potency. There's a couple of dozen co-ops & collectives spread out throughout Clark County. Deliveries only, to your door in 90 minutes or less. U can not just walk in to a co-op & obtain the drug. Not yet. Walk-in dispensaries will be "permitted" to open by mid-2014. Till then you can only receive by ordering on the phone or on-line. You are also "permitted" grow a few plants, assuming you have the doctors recommendation, pay the fees & fill out the forms.

P.S. One co-op offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you received you simply call them and they will pick it up and either credit you towards another selection or refund your "donation". Competition &

capitalism at work.

Essentially, working backwards, it was approximately 1,300 in 1999, or about 3.5 per day.

Ok... in your view there is nothing wrong... and in my view there is.

More than 6,600 women, or 18 women every day, died from a prescription painkiller overdose in 2010.

There were four times more deaths among women from prescription painkiller overdose than for cocaine and heroin deaths combined in 2010.

In 2010, there were more than 200,000 emergency department visits for opioid misuse or abuse among women; about one every three minutes.

Here in Vegas the drug cannabis is presently "permitted" if one has a doctors recommendation, which is quite easy to obtain. Once you have that you fill out some forms and send them, along with a check for $150, to the thugs in the legislature. A photo id is then obtained from the DMV for $20. You now have the blessing of the State Vatican.

OK, now you are considered "legal" & ready to go. Obtaining (medical grade) cannabis can be done by "donating" a payment to the cooperatives and collectives in the amount they deem is fair, depending on the weight & potency. There's a couple of dozen co-ops & collectives spread out throughout Clark County. Deliveries only, to your door in 90 minutes or less. U can not just walk in to a co-op & obtain the drug. Not yet. Walk-in dispensaries will be "permitted" to open by mid-2014. Till then you can only receive by ordering on the phone or on-line. You are also "permitted" grow a few plants, assuming you have the doctors recommendation, pay the fees & fill out the forms.

P.S. One co-op offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you received you simply call them and they will pick it up and either credit you towards another selection or refund your "donation". Competition &

capitalism at work.

This is the future of America.

For shits sake. Will you stop classifying beta blockers and blood pressure regulating drugs as narcotics. They are not narcotics.

I fully understand that there are non narcotic drugs, Baal... but that doesn't alter the fact that America is a narcoculture.

So you say and so you have NOT proved. Put up real evidence or hush up.

What proportion of the medicals consumed are dealing with the conditions associated with "old age" and what percent are keeping the folks high and happy? Produce numbers based on properly constructed statistical studies.

Ba'al Chatgzaf

Ok... in your view there is nothing wrong... and in my view there is.

Are you remotely capable of actually reading what II wrote?

Can you quote my statement wherein I stated that there is nothing wrong with those numbers?

I stated that the 3.5 per day is a miniscule number.

Your arguments will be better when you unhook your rational brain from the emotional clutter that appears to exist in your statements.

As Mark Twain opined, " "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."

A...

So you say and so you have NOT proved. Put up real evidence or hush up.

It is my opinion that America is a "hypermedicated" drug culture. No matter what your problem... physical, mental, emotional, spiritual... there's a drug to treat the self inflicted symptoms of how you live.

I understand that it is your view that there is no such thing as a prescription drug problem in America, and that in your view, drugs are the only answer to extending life. So there is nothing to argue about as we each have chosen our view. You're completely free to disagree, and you have.

I stated that the 3.5 per day is a miniscule number.

You did say that, so in your view, prescription drug abuse is not a problem.

And In my view, it is.

Greg:

Once again, I did not weigh in on that issue at all.

The "abuse" of drugs, legal, illegal, over the counter, or, prescription is a separate issue.

You seem hell bent on "creating" positions into a person's beliefs when they ask you a simple question.

A...

And In my view, it is.

Whose problem?

Prescriptions should only be required by insurance companies that insure doctors and pharmacies. Not by the Feds or any other government entity. It's part of the prescription for freedom. Practically speaking government interference drives up prices for pain killers and throttles information on how to avoid or divert abuse and risk. Your strongly implied view seems to be that the government should do something more other than get out of the war on drugs, like drop bigger bombs on more people.

--Brant

And In my view, it is.

Whose problem?

Not mine.

How others freely choose to relate to drugs is their own issue to work out for themselves, for they get the consequences of their own actions and not me.

Prescriptions should only be required by insurance companies that insure doctors and pharmacies. Not by the Feds or any other government entity. It's part of the prescription for freedom. Practically speaking government interference drives up prices for pain killers and throttles information on how to avoid or divert abuse and risk. Your strongly implied view seems to be that the government should do something more other than get out of the war on drugs, like drop bigger bombs on more people.

Brant... you could just as well be complaining to me in a foreign language. As I have absolutely NOTHING to do with any prescription (or non prescription) drugs, or any insurance companies, or the third party payer healthcare system.

I could just as well be living in Galt's Gulch in relation to the system you're complaining about, because I take personal responsibility for my own health. Thank you, and have a nice day. :smile:

Greg

Well, like I asked: Whose problem?

--Brant

glad to see you're not for the war on drugs

People who take drugs are already getting exactly what they deserve regardless of what the government does.

Greg

I am taking amlodopine and my blood pressure runs about 115 over 60. I am getting low blood pressure because I deserve it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

--Brant

People who take drugs are already getting exactly what they deserve regardless of what the government does.

Greg

That's debatable.

--Brant

I thought you said there was a problem (#35)

--Brant

Greg

I am taking amlodopine and my blood pressure runs about 115 over 60. I am getting low blood pressure because I deserve it.

Ba'al Chatzaf

See? There ya go, Baal. I was right. Every truth is a two edged sword that cuts both ways. You could get the same results with a decent diet, but drugs work too. :smile:

Greg

Greg:

Does your specific "slice" of the Christian theological pie believe in the concept of "salvation?'

I've pretty much eliminated Catholic as the piece of pie you feast on.

A...

Greg:

A...

You're correct.

I've been honored to serve an order of Nuns for over 25 years but I'm not a Catholic. However I do share their moral values, and that's why they have continued to do business with me for decades. You see, it is not shared ideologies... but rather shared moral values that is the invisible glue bonding together durable long lasting business relationships.

Does your specific "slice" of the Christian theological pie believe in the concept of "salvation?'

Now my answer to that would all depend upon what you regard "salvation" as being saved from. For no one could ever be saved from getting the consequences they freely chose to set into motion by their own actions. When you tie your own noose and stick your own neck into it...

...you're damn well gonna hang.

Greg:

A...

You're correct.

I've been honored to serve an order of Nuns for over 25 years but I'm not a Catholic. However I do share their moral values, and that's why they have continued to do business with me for decades. You see, it is not shared ideologies... but rather shared moral values that is the invisible glue bonding together durable long lasting business relationships.

Now my answer to that would all depend upon what you regard "salvation" as being saved from. For no one could ever be saved from getting the consequences they freely chose to set into motion by their own actions. When you tie your own noose and stick your own neck into it...

...you're damn well gonna hang.

Quite true Greg.

Let's step back from the "salvation" question.

Do you believe in the concept of original sin and Babtism?

I do like that your statement about serving the Order...

I am sure I would have no problem doing business with you.

A...