Penn State

caroljane

Here is Sarah Palin's take on Sandusky from her interview with Greta Van Susteren last night. Unfortunately, you have to go through her analysis of the Republican candidates before you get to her comment. For the impatient ones, skip to around 14:20, when Greta asks her about Rick Santorum.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=1277762481001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

I am now seeing this all over the news on the web with Sarah's comment taken out of context, even after Greta clarified and she restated her thought. Here is what you will read everywhere that Sarah Palin said about Jerry Sandusky:

Hang him from the highest tree. I'll bring the rope.

I transcribed what she said. I bolded the part most everyone leaves out--even Palin-friendly people. It seems like the entire media is trying to characterize Sarah's first thought as a call for a lynch mob without a trial. Here is what she actually said:

It's not the players' fault that they have a perverted former assistant coach. I would like to see the players not suffer more than they have suffered.

As for the perp and perps, though, that allowed the sinfulness to go on as they had allowed in the past, you know, I say about this assistant coach Sandusky: Hang him from the highest tree. I'll bring the rope. I think it's pathetic, it's horrible, it's atrocious what took place. If it is true that these children were victimized, then he himself, and anybody who allowed what he did to go on, they should be the ones to suffer. Not today's young players who have been innocent in all of this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sarah was venting anger, but wishes to condition any punishment to a court judgment.

Greta Van Susteren knew that this would be misquoted, so she tried to fix it.

You don't just want to just hang him by the tree, I assume you want a criminal process.

Sarah responded with the same thought in different words (and kind of blew it with an incomplete thought about the kids in the middle, but that's just the way people often speak).

Hang him from the highest tree and I'll bring the rope if he is guilty of what has been alleged... if he abused these young children and ruined their lives. Unless they get a lot of help, Greta, in order to deal with the victimization that they are now suffering from. He needs to be punished to the fullest extent of the law if he is truly guilty,

Here's a perfect example of what I am talking about:

Sarah Palin on Jerry Sandusky, ex-Penn State assistant coach in child sex abuse scandal: ‘Hang him’

'Hang him from the highest tree,' says ex-Alaska gov, adding 'I'll bring the rope.'

by Aliyah Shahid

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

November 16 2011

Well, there it is.

The media at its finest. Sarah, too.

(Sarcasm for the first statement, but not for the second.)

Michael

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from my ABA newsletter:

Defense Lawyers Doubt Wisdom of Ex-Penn State Coach Sandusky’s Comments re Child Sex-Abuse Case

Asked by NBC's Bob Costas whether he was sexually attracted to children, former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky seemed to hesitate in saying no.

He repeated the question, twice, and, stammering a bit, said he enjoys boys and loves to be around them. Then he denied: "Uh, I, I, but no. I'm not sexually attracted to young boys," recounts the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin.

That comment is likely to play at Sandusky's future Pennsylvania trial on child sex-abuse charges, predicts a Chicago-area criminal defense attorney.

Calling the comment a "disaster," Steven A. Kozicki predicted that jurors will be hearing it at some point down the road. "I don't see any way they could keep that out of evidence. He's not in custody; there's no Miranda violation," he told the newspaper.

He's far from the only criminal attorney wondering what benefit the 67-year-old Sandusky gained by commenting publicly about the charges against him. Several others are quoted by the Law Bulletin, as well as Reuters.

Sandusky's comment about enjoying children elicited groans from viewers at a bar in the Penn State community, reports Reuters.

Also questioned by observers was his admission, while proclaiming his innocence, to the following conduct:

"I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their leg. Without intent of sexual contact," he told Costas.

Contrary to what some have speculated, Sandusky's comments broadcast yesterday on the television network's Rock Center with Brian Williams newsmagazine program were not made without the knowledge of his lawyer. Defense attorney Joe Amendola suggested the interview with his client, reports the Media Decoder blog of the New York Times.

I am now seeing this all over the news on the web with Sarah's comment taken out of context, even after Greta clarified and she restated her thought. Here is what you will read everywhere that Sarah Palin said about Jerry Sandusky:

It's not the players' fault that they have a perverted former assistant coach. I would like to see the players not suffer more than they have suffered.

As for the perp and perps, though, that allowed the sinfulness to go on as they had allowed in the past, you know, I say about this assistant coach Sandusky: Hang him from the highest tree. I'll bring the rope. I think it's pathetic, it's horrible, it's atrocious what took place. If it is true that these children were victimized, then he himself, and anybody who allowed what he did to go on, they should be the ones to suffer. Not today's young players who have been innocent in all of this.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sarah was venting anger, but wishes to condition any punishment to a court judgment.

Greta Van Susteren knew that this would be misquoted, so she tried to fix it.

Michael

Michael:

It is palpable the hatred that exists towards this lady. There is such a paucity of "news" reporting today in this agenda driven communications industry that I do not even both watching television except for live sporting events.

I am a zero-tolerance person when it comes to child sexual abuse.

If I caught the person in the act, and placed them under arrest, one reason why I would probably make a very poor police officer because that type of person would just somehow get shot trying to excape on the way to the precinct for booking.

Adam

Adam,

I'm just as suprised as you that he took to accepting the interview. And like you said, repeating a question is a tell-tale sign that they are buying time to conjure a response. Why his lawyer let him speak is beyond me.

~ Shane

...maybe Sandusky was a Roman/Spartan in a previous lifetime...

Shane:

He will not do well in prison. I am assuming all his victims were white, but if they were not, it will be even more brutal once he gets in general population.

Apparently, his attorney at the age of 49, and while representing a 16 year and 11 month old girl in an emancipation petition accidentlally had an erection and tripped over a stack of law books and entered the girl and in a state of surprise, impregnated her and she had the child just shy of her 18 th birthday.

The attorney married his teenage client.

You just can't make this shit up! Here is the link: http://www.thedaily....awyer-teen-web/

Adam

Adam,

I was waiting to see the part about tripping over books. No luck. That certainly would have proved the saying about fact being stranger than fiction. What struck me most on that article is that his lawyer is comfortable leaving his kids alone with Sandusky. Honestly, I think that statement is an attempt to blow smoke up the public's ass about Sandusky being trustworthy around kids. Ludicrous. Sandusky made a lot of wrong choices, his lawyer being the latest. That dude's toast!

~ Shane

Adam,

I'm just as suprised as you that he took to accepting the interview. And like you said, repeating a question is a tell-tale sign that they are buying time to conjure a response. Why his lawyer let him speak is beyond me.

~ Shane

Shane:

He will not do well in prison. I am assuming all his victims were white, but if they were not, it will be even more brutal once he gets in general population.

Apparently, his attorney at the age of 49, and while representing a 16 year and 11 month old girl in an emancipation petition accidentlally had an erection and tripped over a stack of law books and entered the girl and in a state of surprise, impregnated her and she had the child just shy of her 18 th birthday.

You just can't make this shit up! Here is the link: http://www.thedaily....awyer-teen-web/

Adam

Adam,

I was waiting to see the part about tripping over books. No luck. That certainly would have proved the saying about fact being stranger than fiction. What struck me most on that article is that his lawyer is comfortable leaving his kids alone with Sandusky. Honestly, I think that statement is an attempt to blow smoke up the public's ass about Sandusky being trustworthy around kids. Ludicrous. Sandusky made a lot of wrong choices, his lawyer being the latest. That dude's toast!

~ Shane

That must have been some erection. How high was that bookstack? Please nobody start a Does size Matter thread. Adam I know you are researching for your talk at the ArcticCon, but we already have enough questions in this area, mostly the same question that Brother Anonymous has asked 47 times to date trying to disguise his handwriting.

Great competitive bagel list, high five bro! We are all licking our chops. Old Mangy's chops actually, he passed away peacefully last Thursday. It was his time.

In a hurry if I don't get at least the dishes dried before Claudine gets home I will be in for it.

ISS

Gord the real one

Adam,

~ Shane

Shane:

Adam

Adam,

~ Shane

That must have been some erection. How high was that bookstack? Please nobody start a Does size Matter thread. Adam I know you are researching for your talk at the ArcticCon, but we already have enough questions in this area, mostly the same question that Brother Anonymous has asked 47 times to date trying to disguise his handwriting.

Great competitive bagel list, high five bro! We are all licking our chops. Old Mangy's chops actually, he passed away peacefully last Thursday. It was his time.

In a hurry if I don't get at least the dishes dried before Claudine gets home I will be in for it.

ISS

Gord the real one

Adam,

~ Shane

Shane:

Adam

Adam,

~ Shane

ISS

Gord the real one

Yes alright, so I have asked 47 times and I will keep asking until I get an answer. When will that be?

I suppose when the disgraceful corrupt power structure of this lodge is finally dismantled, too late for too tragically many but giving hope for those to come.

I will gladly volunteer to cast the first snowball.

Fearless for my own safety except for the left hip that you all know about.

ISS

Anonymous

Please take notice:

ArticCon will be when the moon is in the seventh house.*

Adam

you know the proper response phrase and send it by the icy channel.

*use the code book behind the third igloo buried near the Inuit totem pole.

Please take notice:

Adam

What if you live where there are only six houses?

Sincerely,

Desperate

Please take notice:

Adam

Sincerely,

Desperate

Disparate is more likely.

--Brant

Please take notice:

Adam

Sincerely,

Desperate

--Brant

Go ahead, have a nice witty laugh at the less fortunate. Sitting in your nice warm house with your pricey dictionary. And you havent even paid your dues for the whole year but oh yes, you feel entitled to front row at the Mongolian Throat Singers concert.

Hypocrite.

Please take notice:

Adam

Sincerely,

Desperate

Learn to build, real fast...

Please take notice:

Adam

Sincerely,

Desperate

Learn to build, real fast...

Thanks for your help, I mean that sincerely. I did think you were being dismissive and uncaring with not answering me 47 times and all, but I was talking to Marsha about it and she said it was Tough Love. She said it was the best kind of love and she knows a lot about it, and she complimented me on how ripped I am getting with sawing logs and hauling around roofbeams all the time now, and I think I can get her to align with me pretty soon.

Looking forward to seeing you "North of Everywhere", woo-hoo!

ISS

Anonymous

Job interview, 2003

Hi, nice to meet you.

You too, gee, great office....see you got Coach on the wall there.

Yes Coach Paterno is a strong symbol of inspiration to all of us here at Penn State.

And there's coach Jerry too.. never could understand why he won't be carrying on...

He loved the kids more . You have to go where your heart is.

I'm getting choked up..

It's OK son, we all feel that. iIt's the great strength of Penn State.

Yes it is Sir.I truly believe that.

Then we understand each other. Now, we're here about the Assistant Professor job..Philosophy.. I know you have fine qualifications.

Yessir I do,I don't mean to blow my own horn but the coaches believe in me.

And the hours wouldn't conflict with the team practice schedule, pep rallies, away weekends or volunteer work (good for you!)?

Nosir, I believe thqt can all be worked out.. they're going to help me till I find my feet.. in those ethics parts that I need to work on.

Well, we would expect nothing less from those guys... here's the contract. Is that spelled M-C-Q-U.....?

Please take notice:

Adam

Sincerely,

Desperate

--Brant

Go ahead, have a nice witty laugh at the less fortunate. Sitting in your nice warm house with your pricey dictionary. And you havent even paid your dues for the whole year but oh yes, you feel entitled to front row at the Mongolian Throat Singers concert.

Hypocrite.

I can't top this. I know whose the master now--to boot!

--Brant

put in his place

Here is an ethical question raised by the discussions of this topic: Is it more wrong to rape a child than to rape an adult?

Brant has a much better answer than mine.

My answer is whether a person asking that question has a child or whether he is a college ethics professor with no children.

My feelings about a mind that can pose such a question shall be kept extremely private, but trust me Bach boy, you do not want to hear them.

As an aside, it was just announced that Joe Paterno has lung cancer, and I certainly hope he recovers and my best wishes go out to him and his family.

Adam

Here is an ethical question raised by the discussions of this topic: Is it more wrong to rape a child than to rape an adult?

My answer is whether a person asking that question has a child or whether he is a college ethics professor with no children.

My feelings about a mind that can pose such a question shall be kept extremely private, but trust me Bach boy, you do not want to hear them.

As an aside, it was just announced that Joe Paterno has lung cancer, and I certainly hope he recovers and my best wishes go out to him and his family.

Adam

I did not infer from the question that Cariad thinks child rape is the same as raping an adult. It seemed more a question about degrees of wrongness, the area where ethics meet law.All crimes, are by definition unethical. The penalties for crimes are determined in part by the degree of harm to the victim and the outrage to society. Sex crimes, according to SVU, are especially heinous, and child sex crimes the most heinous of all. The victim can reasonably be expected to suffer the longest aftereffects because they will live the longest. Society instinctively revolts most strongly against these subhuman acts.

Adam

I assume by this answer that you do think it's worse. I'd like to know why.

Regarding your feelings about my mind, I will also assume that your assumption is that by asking this question I am betraying a belief that I don't think that raping children is such a terrible thing. In fact, quite the opposite is true. I do think that raping children is an utterly abhorrent act and could only be done by the most sick and depraved person imaginable. What I want to know is, why is the rapist of an adult any less sick or depraved? Why is the rape of a grown woman very nearly excusable in this society?

I am not afraid of what you think of me, so go ahead, do your worst.

Adam

I did not infer from the question that Cariad thinks child rape is the same as raping an adult. It seemed more a question about degrees of wrongness, the area where ethics meet law.All crimes, are by definition unethical. The penalties for crimes are determined in part by the degree of harm to the victim and the outrage to society. Sex crimes, according to SVU, are especially heinous, and child sex crimes the most heinous of all. The victim can reasonably be expected to suffer the longest aftereffects because they will live the longest. Society instinctively revolts most strongly against these subhuman acts.

Thank you for both understanding the question and for giving a sensible answer rather than dismissing it with a quip or automatically assuming the very worst of a stranger.

Adam

I admire that you can feel some sympathy for Paterno. I can't, except as a cancer sufferer, if he really has it. I do feel sorry for his wretched family whose lives he has ruined. They are innocent too.

I take back the cancer sympathy too. My father and my husband both died of lung cancer, at ages 60 and 58. Unlike P they were lookiing forward to retirement but they never made it. King Joe does not deserve to be in their company.

I told you JP would soon become too frail to answer any awkward questions in some uncomfortable place! maybe the lawyers can keep getting stalls until he hits the century mark.

I.m just waiting for Sandusky to start spending all his cutrate bail time getting counselliing with his pastor. He will be photographed. in public clutching a Bible at all times

Carol

not smug

Adam

I am not afraid of what you think of me, so go ahead, do your worst.

I didn't see Brant's answer. but if you are including him in your gauntlet toss, you might want to be a little afraid. He's armed you know.

I do think that raping children is an utterly abhorrent act and could only be done by the most sick and depraved person imaginable. What I want to know is, why is the rapist of an adult any less sick or depraved? Why is the rape of a grown woman very nearly excusable in this society?

Brant's answer:

It's an ethical question for rapists. I'm not a rapist.

--Brant

Bach:

The reason that child rape is worse is:

Primarily, adults have better awareness, judgment and a better ability to fight, use weapons to defend themselves and resist than does a child.

Secondly, I do not know which society you are claiming has a "...very nearly excusable in this society." If it is the US, perhaps you can flesh out your assertion.

Adam