TO WHOM IT MAY (OR MAY NOT) CONCERN

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me what the Multiquote button is for? It is located next to the Reply button to the lower right of posts.

George,

It's when you want to quote several posts in your post. In an ideal world, you click on it on the posts you want to include in yours and then make a post. They should all show up just as if you had used the "Add Reply" button.

Sometimes if you are doing this across different open tabs or on different pages, it doesn't work. And sometimes it does. Go figure.

But I have had no problem with it with posts all on the same page.

Michael

Learning to use the quote function can be a little tricky at first, especially when dealing with nesting quotations. But if Phil only wants to respond to brief snippets, all he needs to do is retain the outermost html tags and delete everything else except the snippet. Pretty simple.

Ghs

It's actually the "Reply" function which Phil is requested to use. The "Quote" function doesn't provide the little link (the arrow) which "Reply" provides at the left of the top bar.

The reason Phil is requested to use "Reply" is so people can click the little link which takes them to the post from which he's quoting so they can check the context of what he's snipped.

Several times when the considerateness of providing readers with an easy way to check the faithfulness to context of his snippets has been pointed out to Phil, Phil has responded that people should be able to remember the post he's quoted from and that there's no need to check his accuracy. But sometimes people are reading backward up a thread starting with the most recent post. Or there might have been a lapse in time -- and a number of other posts intervening -- since the post being quoted. Plus Phil frequently misrepresents context with what he snips. And even if he were always fully faithful to context in his snipping, a reader might still want to see more of the original post than Phil quotes.

A compromise method, which would be better than snippets from unidentified posts, is if he would make a practice of at least giving the post number from which he's quoting.

Ellen

Right. When people speak of the "quote function," I assume they are referring to the general format, including the Reply button.

A little earlier I mentioned the possibility of Phil providing the number of the post he is quoting from. You are correct: this would help.

Phil's point about people being able to recall his sources exhibits his characteristic hubris. Some of us don't follow his posts -- as fascinating and educational as they are -- closely and in detail. <_<

Btw, here is the post in which Phil defends his snippet method.

#86.

It seems that Phil is very concerned about taking up too much space. Some might contend that any post by Phil takes up too much space, but that's another subject..... :rolleyes:

Ghs

Ugh, that just made me think of someone I worked with, a Russian immigrant. Somehow the subject of the availability of feminine hygiene products during the Soviet years came up, turns out they didn't have, well y'know. So I (or someone) asked "what did you do", "Vhat doo yoo tink vee deed!?" :huh:

Ever heard of being "on the rag"?

Vhat doo yoo tink vee deed during all those hundreds of thousands of years before feminine hygiene products were invented? Grass, weeds, scraps of skins -- confinement to huts in some cultures as our ancestors acquired a small amount of property, such as dwellings, and became more elaborate in their ways of living.

Ellen

Can someone tell me what the Multiquote button is for? It is located next to the Reply button to the lower right of posts.

George,

It's when you want to quote several posts in your post. In an ideal world, you click on it on the posts you want to include in yours and then make a post. They should all show up just as if you had used the "Add Reply" button.

Sometimes if you are doing this across different open tabs or on different pages, it doesn't work. And sometimes it does. Go figure.

But I have had no problem with it with posts all on the same page.

Michael

That's pretty handy. Thanks.

Ghs

Ugh, that just made me think of someone I worked with, a Russian immigrant. Somehow the subject of the availability of feminine hygiene products during the Soviet years came up, turns out they didn't have, well y'know. So I (or someone) asked "what did you do", "Vhat doo yoo tink vee deed!?" :huh:

Vhat doo yoo tink vee deed during all those hundreds of thousands of years before feminine hygiene products were invented? Grass, weeds, scraps of skins -- confinement to huts in some cultures as our ancestors acquired a small amount of property, such as dwellings, and became more elaborate in their ways of living.

Ellen

Ah, the curse of Eve. That's what your gender gets for being temptresses.

Ghs

By all means, let's talk about menstruation.

It's more interesting than taking up another thread talking about Phil's obstinacy.

I'm simply not going to quote Phil or answer him any more until he uses the functions of this software and observes the mores of this forum.

Oh, and to head off "Why don't you just 'ignore' him?" — that function is nearly useless, unfortunately. Those who do use the Reply function with "quote" tags end up displaying what an ignored person says, anyway. The benefits of Reply notably outweigh having to plow through the posts of those one would prefer to "ignore."

I'm simply not going to quote Phil or answer him any more until he uses the functions of this software and observes the mores of this forum.

Leave it to you to spoil the party with a sensible solution. :rolleyes:

I will follow your lead.

Ghs

I will follow your lead.

Ghs

Problem with that is, he'll probably be delighted! :rolleyes:

Ellen

Yes, but it will make me happier as well. It's a waste of time to deal with Phil on any level. If enough people followed Steve's lead, Phil would be left talking to himself.

I'm going to put Phil back on "ignore." This may be of limited value, as Steve pointed out, but it will help me to keep from getting so aggravated by his outbursts of indignation. I can take almost anything on an internet forum, but self-righteous hypocrisy drives me up a wall.

Of course, I always reserve the right to change my mind. I have participated in internet forums long enough to know that grand resolutions made at a late hour sometimes look different in the light of day. :rolleyes:

Ghs

> A compromise method, which would be better than snippets from unidentified posts, is if he would make a practice of at least giving the number of the post from which he's quoting. [Ellen]

When I remember I have started to include the post number if it's something where the full context seems relevant. But not if the post appears immediately preceding or if I'm quoting from my computer notes and have lost the original post number. In that case it would be awkward to go back through several threads...and I have the distinct impression most people aren't reading my posts that seriously anyway. Plus, who actually goes back to reread old posts? NO offense, but I don't find the majority of what most people post here were all that thrilling the first time anyway.

I particularly dislike 'nested' he said-she said-he said-then she said quotes. Who the hell cares.

Edited by Philip Coates

Vhat doo yoo tink vee deed during all those hundreds of thousands of years before feminine hygiene products were invented?

Ah, the curse of Eve. That's what your gender gets for being temptresses.

By all means, let's talk about menstruation.

The idea is, once you have toilet paper and feminine hygiene products available, learn to use them! I was imbibing a Guinness when I came up with the analogy, I’m glad everyone enjoyed it. :unsure:

> A compromise method, which would be better than snippets from unidentified posts, is if he would make a practice of at least giving the number of the post from which he's quoting. [Ellen]

When I remember I have started to include the post number if it's something where the full context seems relevant. But not if the post appears immediately preceding or if I'm quoting from my computer notes and have lost the original post number. In that case it would be awkward to go back through several threads...and I have the distinct impression most people aren't reading my posts that seriously anyway. Plus, who actually goes back to reread old posts? NO offense, but I don't find the majority of what most people post here were all that thrilling the first time anyway.

I particularly dislike 'nested' he said-she said-he said-then she said quotes. Who the hell cares.

I think it's pretty clear now to almost everyone that the actual reason that Phil doesn't use the reply/quote function is that he's dishonest and petty. He likes to misrepresent what people have written, and he likes to make those whom he sees as his enemies waste their time going back through threads looking for the posts which he has snipped or otherwise altered. It's his shitty little method of trying to punish people for beating him in arguments, and for not letting him control them with his psycho/insecurity schoolmarm crap.

J

confinement to huts in some cultures as our ancestors acquired a small amount of property, such as dwellings, and became more elaborate in their ways of living.

Ellen

The Red Tent - excellent book by the way

The Red Tent is a novel by Anita Diamant, published in 1997 by Wyatt Books for St. Martin's Press. It is a first-person narrative which tells the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob and sister of Joseph, a talented midwife and proto-feminist. She is a minor character in the Bible, but the author has broadened her story.[1] The book's title refers to the tent in which women of Jacob's tribe must, according to the ancient law, take refuge while menstruating or giving birth, and in which they find mutual support and encouragement from their mothers, sisters and aunts.

Either Phil is too stupid to learn how to use the quote function, or he is too inconsiderate to give a damn.

Ghs

Either Phil is a dogmatist or he is a troll.

Shayne

Phil is not a troll. The snippet method has become his mark of independence, of his unwillingness to capitulate to the sweaty OL masses. When Phil stands naked on the edge of a cliff and laughs, he is thinking of the snippet method.

Ghs

Ghs: now this was hilarious. Kudos to you sir. Although jarring, the the naked Phil reference and the word "snippet" is one of your better efforts.

Either Phil is too stupid to learn how to use the quote function, or he is too inconsiderate to give a damn.

Ghs

Shayne

Phil is not a troll. The snippet method has become his mark of independence, of his unwillingness to capitulate to the sweaty OL masses. When Phil stands naked on the edge of a cliff and laughs, he is thinking of the snippet method.

Ghs

I hope there's water down there.

After Roark went to NYC, did he join the YMCA? Rand never told us.

--Brant

Roark was not a joiner, although he used one on some of his his flooring projects. :lol:

Ghs

Shayne

Ghs

Ghs: now this was hilarious. Kudos to you sir. Although jarring, the the naked Phil reference and the word "snippet" is one of your better efforts.

Just heard there was Awards buzz going on here.J, any possibility of an artist's rendering of Phil on the cliff? Tasteful, NO PHOTOSHOP, heroic? Our people will be in touch.

Indeed, that's got to be the most hilarious in-context joke I've seen on OL.

Shayne

Ghs

Shayne

Ghs

Just heard there was Awards buzz going on here.J, any possibility of an artist's rendering of Phil on the cliff? Tasteful, NO PHOTOSHOP, heroic? Our people will be in touch.

Don't forget the Jew... ;)

Shayne

Now, why would we want [oops sorry about the alliteration Phil] a photo of Phil showing off his short comings on the edge of a cliff? :rolleyes:

Now, why would we want [oops sorry about the alliteration Phil] a photo of Phil showing off his short comings on the edge of a cliff? :rolleyes:

I was going to say something, then I decided I'd better not.

Shayne

Shayne

I second Shayne's decision not to say what he was thinking about saying. Frankly, I'm shocked to learn that he was even thinking about saying such a thing.

Dismayedly,

JR

Well fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Adam

the fool

Shayne

I second Shayne's decision not to say what he was thinking about saying. Frankly, I'm shocked to learn that he was even thinking about saying such a thing.

Dismayedly,

JR

:lol:

In saying I wasn't saying something, I said something, which in some part conveys what I had seemed to opt not to. The question is, did I intend to convey what I conveyed, or not? ;)

Shayne