TO WHOM IT MAY (OR MAY NOT) CONCERN

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... And My Musical Arranger, George H. Smirkeyface. I just don't pay him Enough for his Untiring Efforts.

Edited by Philip Coates

Er, George, "fist line"?

You always come out swinging!

Yes, and it was also the first line.

Ghs

Looked again, so it was. Sorry.

Still knocked out by video,

Carol

Between your looks, an elf may have changed "fist" to "first." Just a theory.

Ghs

... And My Musical Arranger, George H. Smirkeyface. I just don't pay him Enough for his Untiring Efforts.

Well we know you cannot thank your comedy writer...:rolleyes:

Adam

still following protocols

Well we know you cannot thank your comedy writer...:rolleyes:

Adam

still following protocols

My favorite line: "I'll even outline my points above."

Just when you thought the horror was almost over.... :lol:

Ghs

Something about this list brings out the pomposity and the finger-wagging and the hectoring and the stubborn repetition in me. (I'm well aware of it, it may surprise you to know.)

Edited by Philip Coates

I do not believe that Phil can be rehabilitated. Sometimes, he can get through a thread if it is, say, just throwing up (um, putting up) information--he hasn't managed to foul up the book club discussion (yet). But that's about the extent of it. I guess it wouldn't be hard for someone to go over there and ramp him up, but he appears content and I do believe that is a good thing.

As to the hate speech thing, well, my feeling is that it doesn't take long to pick up on someone who is generally bitter, meanish, whatever--it comes out of them like sweat.

rde

A rehab clinic -- now there's a thought. Following in the tradition of the Betty Ford Clinic, I suggest we call it the Mrs. Grundy Clinic. :lol:

Ghs

Something about this list brings out the pomposity and the finger-wagging and the hectoring and the stubborn repetition in me. (I'm well aware of it, it may surprise you to know.)

You are taking all this with good humor, and for that I congratulate you -- seriously.

I think you can safely assume that OLers understand your points by now, so there is no reason to repeat them for a long time, if at all. Meanwhile, I think you will find that remarks like the one you posted above will win you a great deal of good will.

People want to like you, Phil, so please give them a chance. Even JR and I, two of your most severe online critics, have said that we like you personally. I frankly cannot imagine your doing all this "finger-wagging" in person. I sincerely hope you can find an online persona that corresponds to the "real" you.

Ghs

Dayaamm!

Phil turned nice and all.

Wouldn't you know it...

Now I don't know what to do about this template I've half made.

:)

I think I'll just hold on to it.

There's no need to go off presenting something like a behavior script that might be hurtful to someone if good nature is coming from him about this issue, especially if the aggravating stuff doesn't happen anymore (which I dearly hope).

Michael

Dayaamm!

Phil turned nice and all.

Wouldn't you know it...

Now I don't know what to do about this template I've half made.

:)

I think I'll just hold on to it.

There's no need to go off presenting something like a behavior script that might be hurtful to someone if good nature is coming from him about this issue, especially if the aggravating stuff doesn't happen anymore (which I dearly hope).

Michael

Yeah, that's why it is never a good idea to spend a lot of time sharpening one's knife. Your target may get all warm and cuddly before you have a chance to use it on him. Nobody likes to witness the systematic evisceration of a Teddy Bear.

I thought you were a fellow professional, Michael. This is Revenge 101 stuff, and I shouldn't need to remind you of the basics. Maybe you are out of practice. Or maybe living with a wonderful woman has turned you soft. :lol:

Ghs

For those who are interested in such matters, the guitarist in "Flight of the Bumblebee" is the incredible Frank Vignola, and the percussionist is Joe Ascione. The cut is from their album "The Frank and Joe Show 33 1/3" -- which easily ranks in my top 50 favorite jazz albums of all time.

Vignola and Ascione sometimes perform "The Frank and Joe Show" live in NYC. Here is a remarkable video of them warming up before a performance.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YQnn7FWKO-A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghs

Damn:

Is this a road to Damascus moment?

Where is the off ramp when you really need one?

Can ya'all feel the love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv2pzNPS3Y

Adam

warm and cuddly

The real credit should go to Rich Engle for his outstanding work on the guitar.

George,

Rich rocks big time.

Another producer.

Michael

Yeah, but I trust you knew that Rich was not the guitarist in "Flight of the Bumblebee." I inserted that comment to see if anyone is paying attention to my posts. :rolleyes:

Around 1997, while I was writing a number of audio scripts for Cato University, I had occasion to mention one million dollars as part of a hypothetical. In the first draft, I worked in a comment to the effect that this amount nearly equaled the yearly expense account for each Cato executive. When no one who supposedly read the manuscript noticed my stunt, I knew that my rough drafts could be very rough indeed, and this made it easier for me to meet deadlines.

This is how professional writers survive. :lol:

Ghs

Around 1997, while I was writing a number of audio scripts for Cato University, I had occasion to mention one million dollars as part of a hypothetical. In the first draft, I worked in a comment to the effect that this amount nearly equaled the yearly expense account for each Cato executive. When no one who supposedly read the manuscript noticed my stunt, I knew that my rough drafts could be very rough indeed, and this made it easier for me to meet deadlines.

This is how professional writers survive. :lol:

Ghs

:lol:

Reminds me of something a friend did once when he (gasp) was working for the Mormon church as a ward clerk (this was 15+ years ago). He used to make up the flyers they'd hand out to everyone as they came in, and took the liberty of adding various quotations to each one. One week he wrote "Just because 10,222,343 people believe a thing, that doesn't make it true." The number I listed isn't exactly what he put of course, but the one he had was exactly the official number of church members as counted that year.

Shayne

Damn:

[video deleted from disgust]

Adam

warm and cuddly

This thread has become altogether too cheery and upbeat. I have become so disoriented that I cannot focus on my writing. It is time to return to reality with some existentialist angst, as performed by the incomparable Peggy Lee:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LCRZZC-DH7M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghs

George:

Lol. I employ the same technique when drafting a fact pattern, or appellate argument. In the middle of a supporting affidavit, I will insert, "...and then I stabbed the bitch/bastard..." and continue with the draft.

Scarily, less than 20% of the time does either the client or the attorney that I may be drafting the document for pick up on the gaff!

I learned how to read documents from an old time nuts and bolts attorney. One of the wisest men I have ever worked with and he was meticulous in "reading the four corners of the document."

In a divorce matter, one of the key foundational documents that is first filed is the eleven to thirteen (11-13) page affidavit of new worth. The pendente lite (pending litigation) financial award is primarily based on that data.

The flat out perjuries that are in those documents can break the back of your opponent if you pick them up. One item in a wealthy Westchester divorce was one spouses claim of $2,200.00 per month for cleaning drapes! This was in 1985. Needless to say, it brought the other side to the table for serious settlement negotiations.

Excellent technique George.

Adam

Damn:

[video deleted from disgust]

Adam

warm and cuddly

This thread has become altogether too cheery and upbeat. I have become so disoriented that I cannot focus on my writing. It is time to return to reality with some existentialist angst, as performed by the incomparable Peggy Lee:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LCRZZC-DH7M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghs

I can't stand Peggy Lee, and that song is boring. Over-informed musical "experts" will probably ruin this forum, she said dolefully.

Better now?

Peggy Lee - excellent...

A cynic is a humanist with experience!

I can't stand Peggy Lee, and that song is boring. Over-informed musical "experts" will probably ruin this forum, she said dolefully.

Better now?

No. I need one more over-the-top, heavy handed, depressing song. This metaphysical monstrosity is from a pretty good 1961 movie with the same name, starring Kirk Douglas. Just think of OL as the town in question. :rolleyes:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/va5lliDnSj0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghs