"Atlas Part 1" Commentaries and Reviews

Greybird

Shrikant Rangnekari, in the latest Atlasphere article about Atlas Shrugged Part1, provides the words to my thoughts.

"Making a great movie based on a great book is not the mere translation, but the creation of, an entirely new artistic integration."

He makes a telling analogy:

"Romans revered Greek sculpture and made a massive number of copies of it, but they never could capture the deeper meaning - the dynamic, living soul of the Greek sculpture."

He compliments the sincerity and quality of the production, but admits that it left him feeling empty.

In,A Roman copy of a Greek original, the author appreciates:

"Capturing the political, economic, and social aspects of the novel is an achievement itself, and I certainly enjoyed seeing that brought to life on the screen. That said, the movie versions of Ayn Rand’s characters were oddly similar to people I see in New York every day. They talked, looked, moved, and related to each other somewhat like most people do today, not in the highly stylized manner of the novel’s characters. I had the odd sensation that I was watching a world halfway between Ayn Rand’s world and my New York today — a hybrid of naturalism and romanticism."

Shrikant Rangnekar does differentiate between the value of the movie and the great book and concludes that: "With this in mind, I raise a toast to both — to Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged and to Atlas Shrugged the movie — each for what they are."

By the way Tony, be careful out there!!

Solar flare warning for SA

Article By: Andrea van WykMon, 07 Mar 2011 2:41

The Hermanus Space Weather Warning Centre (SWWC) on Sunday said a large solar flare was currently being experienced in South Africa. The solar flare would result in higher radiation levels from the sun.

SWWC’s forecaster Kobus Olckers said people should be careful when they go outside.

"People must wear high sunscreen factor at the moment or preferably go shopping," he said.

A powerful solar flare could overwhelm high-voltage transformers with electrical currents and short-circuit energy grids, with one such event in 1989 disrupting power across the Canadian province of Quebec.

However, solar flares are nothing new, with the first major solar flare being recorded by British astronomer Richard Carrington in 1859.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is plain from what Ted said. 2016 will come and go soon. It is like the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, only the deviation of the situation in the actual world from the previously projected world will become apparent much more quickly. Leaving the year unspecified, leaving it at simply an indefinite near future avoids the cheap-shot criticism "Well, well. Here we are in 2020, with a mixed economy, and guess what: the economy has not regressed (greatly: towards horses, barter, vanishing of capital, etc.)." Also, for the film audience today, setting the date at 2016 self-cheapens by suggesting an immediate political message: vote Republican in 2012 or this is where we will be and this is what your government will be doing by 2016.

Perhaps someone who has seen the film can tell us how the specific year registered with them.

Related, concerning the novel: A, B

Exactly. Rand discusses the issue of an artwork becoming dated in The Art of Fiction.

[The below response was re-edited and expanded early Wednesday morning]

I think the issue of the date being set in the movie as 2016 is not a problem, anymore than it was for Orwell's 1984 (or the two movie versions). Very few people have dismissed Orwell's (arbitrarily set) date of 1984 as a reason to dismiss the book/movie as outdated or as an obviously "false prophecy." Generally, Orwell is still cited by critics on both the left and the right (usually accusing the other side as causing events that will make Orwell's nightmare world become a reality). A notable recent example was Christopher Hitchen's book, Why Orwell Matters (2002).

Similarly, I don't think the date in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), causes much problems in taking its vision of the future (for the bulk of the movie, excepting the surrealistic ending) seriously, even though we are well past the title year of the movie, and have not achieved most of the technology or moon exploration that is shown.

I saw Atlas Shrugged, Part One, last week. In the opening sequence, they depict America's economy disintegrating by using faux TV news program clips. The economic situation shown in these scenes are not likely to be viewed by viewers as implausible, since most of what is depicted is too close for comfort to our current situation. The issue of how they depict the supremacy of rail travel over flying is the only area where they are stating a situation that is quite different from the current preference for flight. However, they work that into an extension of the economic decline and at the same time introduce a key factor in the novel: things are falling apart at an accelerating rate and key industrialists, scientists, businessmen are disappearing. Of course, readers of the novel will immediately see why that element is included. Using the context of the economic disintegration, they show further "excerpts" of TV newscasts, explaining that most commercial air flights have been abandoned due to parts shortages, planes falling apart, fewer qualified technicians to fix them, incompetent air traffic controllers using outdated equipment, and the resultant increase in catastrophic plane crashes. This causes people to abandon this now unreliable and dangerous mode of transportation, and to return to trains as the only reliable transcontinental transportation system left.

Now, the question is, will the viewing audience "buy" this? Well, personally speaking, I don't see much that people won't buy now, given the increasing proliferation of the subjective and downright irrational (e.g., such as virtually all the broadcast and cable networks introducing more and more "ghost hunting" programs with the premise that they are real and not fictional - and apparently the public eats them up!). But, let's say that the viewer is not as naive as the apparent armies of avid viewers of ghost hunting. Well, considering the fact that the signs of economic decline are all around us, I don't think the supposition of the change in transportation requires any extraordinary amount of fantasy. Not that I am expecting that development to occur in real life, but it is at least plausible and fits into the plot theme of the movie.

In any case, the producers were facing a real dilemna, can they depict the world as Rand did in the novel as using only technology from the 1940's/early 1950's? If they had not found an explanation for rail travel being used as the prime mode of transportation, then they would have either had to totally abandon using railroads as Rand did in the novel, and change it to "Taggart Airlines" or some other predominant industry; OR, set the movie's events as occuring in the 1950s, but that creates another conundrum for the viewer: If the solution to the economic crisis offered by John Galt was triumphant, then why are we now living (again) in a welfare state on the brink of insolvency? I think that the scenario that was chosen by the producer is at least plausible and actually may even be described as brilliant.

See the movie and decide.

[Above response was revised early Wednesday morning]

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Yet another look at Engle's unwiped ass.

No, Ted--that was just a rather well-rendered armchair quarterback. For what you seem to be into, people charge extra. A lot extra.

But I am fairly sure that you already know that.

rde

Now We Know Why He Spends So Much Time Laying Under Glass Coffee Tables

Fox News is advertising that John Stossel will be on Hannity tomorrow (Wednesday) with something about how liberal elites (or something like that) are trying to prevent people from seeing the Atlas Shrugged movie. The ad sounded scary, but that's probably just puffery to get people to tune in.

Fox News is advertising that John Stossel will be on Hannity tomorrow (Wednesday) with something about how liberal elites (or something like that) are trying to prevent people from seeing the Atlas Shrugged movie. The ad sounded scary, but that's probably just puffery to get people to tune in.

ND:

Hannity's radio show or his TV show?

Probably TV show.

Adam

Wow, it doesn't take much to make him scatter. I didn't even have to get warmed up.

Quite something, for someone who makes so much sour-full noise.

Aside from Nancy-Boy there, again I say the most important thing is for the movie to fare well, armchair Q's aside (which, fortunately, represent what is, overall, a sad minority in the first place <i know who the good guys are though>).

On with the toilet paper jokes.

rde

Ah well good. Waiting for the two days of massive editing and Deep Introspection for the Formidable Reply.

Edited by Rich Engle

ND:

Hannity's radio show or his TV show?

Probably TV show.

Adam

TV Show.

Folks:

Just watched the Stossel appearance on Hannity and I thought it went superbly.

First 25 minutes of television I have watched in months, unless it was a live sporting event.

What a dead medium. Five minutes of Stossel surrounded by Carl "I am living on my reputation" Rove and commercials.

Ann Coulter is as refreshing as always. Just love the way she goes right at you.

Uncivil bitch that she is!

Adam

And you can watch it again! It's nice buzz for the picture, I suppose. No big deal though, no revelations.

Ann Coulter is as refreshing as always. Just love the way she goes right at you.

Oh yuck. Don't like her, to put it mildly.

And you can watch it again! It's nice buzz for the picture, I suppose. No big deal though, no revelations.

Oh yuck. Don't like her, to put it mildly.

ND:

I know, have you read any of her books?

I agree, great buzz for the movie, but absolutely no revelations. Just that broad brush by Stossel about the "liberals" in Hollywood not wanting to back the production of the film.

Adam

Folks:

First 25 minutes of television I have watched in months, unless it was a live sporting event.

What a dead medium. Five minutes of Stossel surrounded by Carl "I am living on my reputation" Rove and commercials.

Adam

Coulter has an underlying intellectual point to make relevant to the situation at hand. People dragging their silly attacks on Phil into every thread on this forum just because the owner here enjoys that crap too much to care to stop it in no way compare with Coulter. She raises the value of shows on which she appears. This bullshit does not.

(The fact that I respond to your comment does not mean I am not particularly focusing on your actions, Adam. It's just that I don't see any point at all in addressing our resident vicious Christians and coked-up whore extorters).

Since this is the reviews section of sorts and including reviews negative or positive have been posted, I think this should also be included here as well. I've seen a few interesting articles being posted elsewhere. Apparently since this article went up which is very insightful, to the point, and well stated, others who share similar views or whatever you want to call it and who also are Rand fans are speaking up and who also noted issues just as I did with the movie and why.

*****A new feature column has just been published at the Atlasphere:

WHERE THE ATLAS SHRUGGED MOVIE FALLS SHORT

Review by Katheryn Schwalb

The new film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged offers first-rate set design, editing, music, wardrobe, and camerawork. Overall it was much stronger than expected. Why, then, are some viewers left unfulfilled?

Go here to read the full article:

Where the Atlas Shrugged Movie Falls Short

My hat goes off to this lady for having the moral courage to step up to the plate and say, hey, I didn't like it because of such and such. Given she seems to have quite a bit of experience in film making, etc., it makes the article even more interesting.

Edited by CNA

My parents saw the Hannity piece and went out of their way to let me know about it.

Oh - and I found AS on sale as an audio book for $2!!!!!!!!!! It is very, very well done. Yahoo!

Edited by Ted Keer

(The fact that I respond to your comment does not mean I am not particularly focusing on your actions, Adam. It's just that I don't see any point at all in addressing our resident vicious Christians and coked-up whore extorters).

Someone is getting catty! I expect Phil to chastise you accordingly. :lol:

Ghs

Subject: Maybe the Timing is Optimal, After All

Fans of Atlas have had decades of frustration as movie project after movie project after miniseries project fell through. But, as I was watching two influential media personality personalities, Sean Hannity and John Stossel, essentially promoting and praising Atlas, it occurred to me that this decades-long delay may have been a blessing in disguise:

We now have an infrastructure of conservative to libertarian pundits with big microphones who advocate and admire the book which didn't exist until very recently: Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, John Stossel, etc. Fox News. Forbes Magazine. Stossel would never have been allowed by ABC's 20-20 to attack Hollywood liberals for their hatred of Atlas and shutting down attempts to produce it.

The conservative religious outrage/resistance to Rand has lessened over time as many have realized the extent to which she is an ally against big government. Hannity spoke of how much emotional power a film can have compared to books and other media, and asked Stossel hopefully: "Do you think this movie can have an impact?"

The Tea Party movement didn't exist until Obama's election and many of its movers and shakers have adopted the book. And the book's sales have doubled (more than doubled in fact.)

Even though politics is the part of what's in Atlas that has resonated so far, in this area alone it's taken decades of expanding government before people were able to see how dangerous, harmful, obtrusive, and unjust that is. When big government was tiny, this was all just a theory to people.

Decades ago, there were only the big three liberal TV networks, no talk radio. Five decades ago, there was no dense web of conservative magazines and websites and foundations and think tanks. There was no Charles Koch to fund things and no Rupert Murdoch to provide print and television forums.

Edited by Philip Coates

The conservative religious outrage/resistance to Rand has lessened over time as many have realized the extent to which she is an ally against big government.

Since when do conservatives oppose big government?

JR

Phil:

Some good points in your post.

Allow me to rotate the perception slightly.

Fans of Atlas have had decades of frustration anticipation, as movie project, after movie project, after miniseries project fell through did not rise to the standards desired by the movement.

However, after decades of penetrating the political, social and educational communications structures, albeit, much too slowly for my, and other Randian/objectivist/libertarian/conservative senses and desires would have wanted, we have arrived in a medium that can exponentially explode the concepts because the ground has been nurtured with the intellectual blood sweat and tears that we have paid.

As Ayn perceptively taught us, ideas change the world. It also takes time for ideas to seed the ground for the tree of liberty to grow.

Now is the time to use this movie to launch a campaign across the political, social and educational landscape.

Striking while the iron is white hot because we may never have this opportunity where all the forces have come to bear on the fissure in the marxist shell that can split it asunder forever.

We have arrived.

Respectfully and civilly submitted,

I remain,

Adam

Sons of Liberty

Phil:

Some good points in your post.

Allow me to rotate the perception slightly.

Fans of Atlas have had decades of frustration anticipation, as movie project, after movie project, after miniseries project fell through did not rise to the standards desired by the movement.

However, after decades of penetrating the political, social and educational communications structures, albeit, much too slowly for my, and other Randian/objectivist/libertarian/conservative senses and desires would have wanted, we have arrived in a medium that can exponentially explode the concepts because the ground has been nurtured with the intellectual blood sweat and tears that we have paid.

As Ayn perceptively taught us, ideas change the world. It also takes time for ideas to seed the ground for the tree of liberty to grow.

Now is the time to use this movie to launch a campaign across the political, social and educational landscape.

Striking while the iron is white hot because we may never have this opportunity where all the forces have come to bear on the fissure in the marxist shell that can split it asunder forever.

We have arrived.

Respectfully and civilly submitted,

I remain,

Adam

Sons of Liberty

One of the things I love about Objectivists is your dogged, unquenchable optimism. As a Synaeshtho-Fatalist I find it a very attractive quality.

The conservative religious outrage/resistance to Rand has lessened over time as many have realized the extent to which she is an ally against big government.

JR

Barry Goldwater pre-1965.

--Brant

my hero, with serious reservations

JR

Barry Goldwater pre-1965.

--Brant

my hero, with serious reservations

Brant:

Correct. Mine also.

Adam

JR

Since they have been out of power. Any more easy questions? :lol:

Ghs