"Atlas Part 1" Commentaries and Reviews

Greybird

Here's a couple more trickling in. A positive review in The Objective Standard:

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2011-spring/atlas-shrugged-part1.asp

The Spring edition of TOS amounts to a celebration of the forthcoming film. The movie is on the cover, and the magazine includes not only the review but a history of efforts to bring the novel to the screen and an interview with co-producer Harmon Kaslow (who is hopefully a bit saner than Aglialoro).

2011-spring-lg.gif

This certainly represents a dramatic departure from the chilly comments by Yaron Brook and the apparent blackballing of the film orchestrated by certain parties who shall remain nameless. From what others have said, Nathaniel Branden’s (misspelled) name is included in the credits, assumedly in an advisory role. And Craig Biddle would have to know of David Kelley’s involvement with the script.

Should we see this as another positive sign, along with his independent take on the McCaskey flap, that Biddle is breaking free from ARI’s orbit?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the TOS Review by C.A. Wolski:

Particular praise should go to stars Taylor Schilling (Dagny) and Grant Bowler (Rearden). The film is a showcase for them, and they execute their parts almost perfectly.

But Atlas Shrugged: Part I is not the novel and it does not pretend to be. It is a fairly competently made, credible adaptation of one of the most complex novels ever written. Even with its flaws, the film is enjoyable and has wonderful moments, including some in which it captures the power of the novel . . .

Wow.

Very nice magazine cover! Now -that- should have been the poster, not the little gold nebbish with commas for legs.

Edited by Philip Coates

Folks:

I have my ticket in my hand for the first showing of Atlas Shrugged on April 15 2011 at 11:30 in the morning!

It has been a long wait.

Adam

Folks:

I have my ticket in my hand for the first showing of Atlas Shrugged on April 15 2011 at 11:30 in the morning!

It has been a long wait.

Adam

Great! What theatre are you going to? Expect your reactions by 3:00 that day at the latest!!

Folks:

It has been a long wait.

Adam

Great! What theatre are you going to? Expect your reactions by 3:00 that day at the latest!!

Union Square - thought that had a nice sound for today's purple shirted thugs...the new brown shirts. Purple is the new brown, but red is the common color.

Edited by Selene

My brother (who never read the book) and I will likely be combining a trip to see the movie in Torrance and, then, for the speaker (Richard Boddie) and dinner at the Karl Hess (supper) Club in Culver City, on the actual tax-dunning day, Monday, 18 April.

It's 25 miles to either event on the west side of metro L.A., and as much as I'd prefer to see the picture on its opening day, it doesn't warrant such a trip on its own ... not at (by then) $4.50 a gallon and 9 miles per gallon.

And, besides, judging from this thread, it'll have been dissected thoroughly before it opens, anyway. So why pay a premium for a non-surprise?

Movie Review: Atlas Shrugged Part 1 - The 40-Year Wait is Over Read more: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie-review-atlas-shrugged-part-1/#ixzz1Gh2RwoIk

It begins in 2016, in an America literally Hank-and-Dagny-7.jpgfalling to pieces, broken by terrorism and dominated by exploitative politicians, crooked labor unions and crony capitalists. Making the situation worse, entrepreneurs, talented executives, artists, scientists and other innovators are mysteriously disappearing. Within this dystopian world, Dagny Taggart tries to save her father’s railroad, now run by her and her conniving sycophantic brother, who has let the rails fall into disrepair. Her struggle brings her into contact with industrialist Henry Rearden who has developed a “super steel,” Rearden Metal, just the stuff to Atlas-Shrugged-Movie-Poster-2-250.jpgrebuild her railroad. Together they struggle against leftists thugs, collectivist bureaucrats, and dishonest intellectuals who try to steal what they produce and interfere with their plans. And all the while, people keep disappearing.

I know what you’re thinking. That doesn’t sound like some dystopian future, it sounds like Wisconsin. No, really, it’s the future.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/movie-review-atlas-shrugged-part-1/#ixzz1Gh2h1KAc

It's interesting to note that neither Yaron Brook's comments (which are not really endorsing the movie, but does not condemn it either) and the review of the movie in The Objective Standard (also a mild but critical endorsement) do not excoriate the movie, which is what one would have expected from Peikoff or the likes of Peter Schwartz. As noted earlier in this thread, Andrew Bernstein's recent comments on the movie were also favorable.

Is this sort of an ARIan-Objectivist counterpart to the Czech's "velvet revolution" against Soviet rule? Perhaps a slightly (o.k., greatly) exaggerated analogy, but this is not what one would have expected from Peikovians.

It is also interesting to note that none of the comments from these ARI-affiliated sources make any mention at all of the role of The Atlas Society and especially David Kelley in the production of this movie. It will be interesting to see what the reaction will be if Parts 2 and 3 (where the explicit philosophical speeches are) of Atlas Shrugged gets produced. Presumably Kelley had a more active role in adopting these sections for the script.

> Andrew Bernstein's recent comments on the movie were also favorable.

> Yaron Brook's comments..and the review of the movie in The Objective Standard (also a mild but critical endorsement) do not excoriate the movie, which is what one would have expected from Peikoff or the likes of Peter Schwartz. [Jerry]

No, Jerry, that is -not- what one should have expected!

In fact I predicted that they would not excoriate the movie, unless it was objectively a mess - and I'm now being proven right.

I've posted many times here why it was always a mistake to "demonize" (or generally assume evil motives from) ARI and Peikoff and those who belong to the other side of Objectischisms.

It's an issue of benevolence in assessing human motivations and character.

Edited by Philip Coates

It's interesting to note that neither Yaron Brook's comments (which are not really endorsing the movie, but does not condemn it either) and the review of the movie in The Objective Standard (also a mild but critical endorsement) do not excoriate the movie, which is what one would have expected from Peikoff or the likes of Peter Schwartz. As noted earlier in this thread, Andrew Bernstein's recent comments on the movie were also favorable.

Is this sort of an ARIan-Objectivist counterpart to the Czech's "velvet revolution" against Soviet rule? Perhaps a slightly (o.k., greatly) exaggerated analogy, but this is not what one would have expected from Peikovians.

The movie's promotional efforts are probably getting more publicity than all ARIans combined ever have, so maybe some of them are recognizing that now is not a good time to act either like authoritarian nutjobs or like toadies under the thumb of an authoritarian nutjob.

J

> Yaron Brook's comments..and the review of the movie in The Objective Standard (also a mild but critical endorsement) do not excoriate the movie, which is what one would have expected from Peikoff or the likes of Peter Schwartz. [Jerry]

In fact I predicted that they would not excoriate the movie, unless it was objectively a mess - and I'm now being proven right.

I've posted many times here why it was always a mistake to "demonize" (or generally assume evil motives from) ARI and Peikoff and those who belong to the other side of Objectischisms.

Attempting to predict people's future behavior based on their past behavior is not an act of "demonizing" them. It is no less benevolent to consider Peikoff and company's past lunacy than it is to be cautious with a rabid dog.

J

Phil,

Regarding the Atlas Shrugged movie, Peikoff, Schwartz and others clustered around ARI (with the exceptions noted above - TOS, Bernstein, Brook) have not yet made their opinions known. My prediction is that they will remain true to form and lambast the movie. :angry::angry2: In the case of Peikoff, I just don't think that he will be able to keep quiet on this issue, since Aglialoro bought the movie rights from him and then defected to the evil camp of the despised "moral tolerationists" (their description of Kelley, et al. Schwartz, by the way, has described libertarians and by implication, those who consort with them, as not just wrong, but as "evil".) :o

As far as using the term, "demonize," I think that Peikoff/Schwartz's comments about Kelley and the Brandens clearly falls into that category (as they have periodically made clear). Please see Peikoff's and Schwartz's documents on these issues, which are conveniently archived on the ARI website for everyone's viewing pleasure. :blush::blush::wacko:

In contrast, Kelley's book, The Contested Legacy of Ayn Rand, in discussing ARI and Peikoff, does not condemn them as evil. Instead, he points out issues on which he thinks they are mistaken, and why. This is a completely different tactic from what Peikoff, et al, has done.

Now, perhaps Peikoff et al will surprise us (certainly, me) and either say nothing, or say something mildly complementary, like Brook did.... :mellow::huh:

And maybe Obama will hold a joint press conference at the Whitehouse showing of Atlas Shrugged,...and guests Leonard and Nathaniel will kiss and make-up. :wacko::rolleyes:

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Dennis I could not agree with you more. I keep thinking that the dark haired reporter to her left appreciates her also! lol

I found this review by Judd Weiss from my Atlasphere e-mail today to be exquisite in it's conclusion:

"So, the movie is not perfect. Screw it, I don’t care. Hardcore fans like us could find a million ways to pick apart the film and complain over details; but the truth is, the film is intelligent, it is engaging, it is faithful, and it is entertaining.

The movie is excellent as it stands, and the fact that John Aglialoro pulled this off and achieved this feat — well, that’s a story worthy of being among the pages of the novel itself. And it also opens up some ideas for fun exercise challenges to give the producer next time for the sequel. Apparently some of us work better under extreme pressure. Ok dude, you’ve got only one month this time, make it better. Go!

I kid.

John Aglialoro, my deepest apologies for my previous misgivings. I salute you, sir."

A salute to the Atlas Shrugged movie

I will add my salute to John Aglialoro in advance of my seeing the movie on April 15th at 11:30 AM!

Adam

I'm turning green with envy at all of you who live close enough to one of the few places where it will be showing!!!

I.m guessing it will probably be a year before it gets to my vicinity.

I'm turning green with envy at all of you who live close enough to one of the few places where it will be showing!!!

I know it isn't easy being green, Phil. When it starts, does it start around your gills or elsewhere?

Concernedly,

JR

Same here in Vegas. The good news is it will most likely be on DVD by the end of July.

I know it isn't easy being green, Phil. When it starts, does it start around your gills or elsewhere?

Concernedly,

JR

While it is still supported by confiscatory taxes...just for you Phil...

> I know it isn't easy being green, Phil. When it starts, does it start around your gills or elsewhere?

Jeff, where are my gills exactly?

> I know it isn't easy being green, Phil. When it starts, does it start around your gills or elsewhere?

Just lift the gill cover Phil, I know it is difficult without opposable thumbs, unless you are a dolphin, Dolphins evolve opposable thumbs,

moz-screenshot.png

350px-Lampanyctodes_hectoris_%28Hector%27s_lanternfish%29.svg.png magnify-clip.png The anatomy of Lampanyctodes hectoris

(1) - operculum (gill cover), (2) - lateral line, (3) - dorsal fin, (4) - adipose fin, -- (5) - caudal peduncle, (6) - caudal fin, (7) - anal fin, (8) - photophores, -- (9) - pelvic fins (paired), (10) - pectoral fins (paired)

If you are still in Florida, Phil, there are four theatres listed on the AtlasShrugged site, in Aventura, Hialeah, Miami Lakes and South Miami:

Aventura Mall

19501 Biscayne Boulevard, Aventura, FL 33180

Cinemark Paradise 24

15601 Sheridan Street, Davie, FL 33331

Grand 18

17355 NW 59TH Avenue, Miami Lakes, FL 33015

Sunset Place 24

5701 Sunset Dr # 300, South Miami, FL 33143

From the article: "It begins in 2016, in an America literally falling to pieces...."

Literally? Gosh, I sure hope not. :rolleyes:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P_DgJ8R-8XI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ghs

I looked for an online video clip of Lyta Alexander from Babylon 5 showing her gills, but I couldn't find one in the time I had available to look around. (Even if I had, I don't have the three or four hours it would take me to figure out how to embed it in my reply.)

JR