Donald Trump

One local FaceBooker calmly asked yesterday whether drone attacks, bombing etc. in some Muslim countries resulting in civilian casualties was considered any better than temporarily suspending the entrance of Muslims to the US. She was severely treated by Lefty respondents. She let it be known she's born Muslim and married to one while being an atheist. Now they don't know where to turn, the poor little self-righteous lambs.

23 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

I, too, think that there are many round the world who have the hope you state, and agreed that "the altruist-collectivists" know what they are losing, hence the viciousness of the reactions.

Ellen

Ellen,

You recognise the premise of altruism-collectivism in all this, so why can not some Objectivists?

It's only the strong who can ~afford~ to be gentle, and who will be. The selfless weak can't be anything but weak, and as you see, at times vicious and non-benevolent. Many and myself wish for America to return to its full and benevolent strength, which has been presumed-upon for too long by so many - and I believe, self-sacrificed from within, I'll say at the risk of drawing some fire.

I believe the Sainte-Foy terror attack will have the opposite of its intended effect, if the intent was to sow discord and hatred.  An attack on a place of worship tends to bring solidarity, to bring a sense of unity, since the fundamental freedom to worship or not worship is itself attacked -- the solidarity extends to all bodies of belief. It is an attack on pan-Canadian values.

This has shaken Canada, and will dominate the news for weeks.

The signal of murderous hatreds still potent in my country is deeply disturbing. This is home-grown terror. 

Thank you Mr President.  Thoughts are with the children who have lost parents, with the critically injured, with the mourners. 

It makes me feel ashamed of my country.  Seven Six shot dead in a hall of worship. 

Edited by william.scherk

How long before someone in the liberal progressive media  blame this Mosque attack on Donald Trump?

1 hour ago, BaalChatzaf said:

How long before someone in the liberal progressive media  blame this Mosque attack on Donald Trump?

It's sooner than you think. The White House just cited the Quebec mosque attack to justify Trump’s policies

U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration is citing the Sunday attack on Muslims in Quebec City as an example of why his own policies are needed.

“We condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. It’s a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant, and why the president is taking steps to be proactive, rather than reactive, when it comes to our nation’s safety and security,” press secretary Sean Spicer said at his daily briefing on Monday.

Spicer did not specifically identify the policies he was referring to.

But the “proactive, rather than reactive” language is similar to the rhetoric Trump and his allies have used in defending his “temporary” ban on refugees and by visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries, which has caused a worldwide uproar.

Spicer used similar words when asked directly about the travel ban later in the briefing, saying Trump was not going to “wait and react.”

“There is nothing nice about searching for terrorists before they can enter our country. This was a big part of my campaign. Study the world!” Trump himself wrote on Twitter earlier Monday.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer on Monday said that Sunday's attack on a mosque in Quebec City is a 'reminder' of why U.S. President Donald Trump needs to take action on security. This appeared to be a reference to Trump's ban on immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer on Monday said that Sunday's attack on a mosque in Quebec City is a 'reminder' of why U.S. President Donald Trump needs to take action on security. This appeared to be a reference to Trump's ban on immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries.  (SUSAN WALSH / AP FILE PHOTO)  

The Quebec City massacre killed six Muslims who were attending a mosque for evening prayers. Trump’s policies have been condemned by Muslim groups and many others around the world as discrimination against Muslims.

Trump spoke to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau earlier on Monday.

Spicer said Trump offers “his condolences as well as his thoughts and prayers to the victims and their family and to all Canadians.”

He noted that Trudeau was “cautious to draw conclusions of the motives at this stage of the investigation.” He said “the president shared those thoughts.”

4 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Bob,

A bunch of 'em so far. There's a real hunger out there to blame it on the Alt Right.

However, it looks like Bissonnette, the gunman, was a disturbed person. A loner nerd. A loser. He even called the police himself and said he felt guilty for what he had done.

In my online experience, the following site, Heavy, generally has some of the best objective information soon after a tragedy.

Alexandre Bissonnette: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Bissonnette had some right wing leanings, but he also had some left-wing leanings. Granted, from the hearsay, more right than left. But he did not appear to be a political animal and even liked John McCain on his Facebook page (now deleted). For the life of me, I can't imagine McCain being a source of inspiration for a terrorist attack on a mosque.

Let's see where the facts fall as they unfold. It's hard to get the facts, though, because the press is starting to spin this for all its worth. The problem for them is that people don't seem to be all that interested.

Note to William: No need for shame. You're a good man. That's all that counts.

Michael

Anthony wrote: Ellen, You recognize the premise of altruism-collectivism in all this, so why can not some Objectivists? It is only the strong who can ~afford~ to be gentle, and who will be. The weakened can't be anything but weak, and as you see, vicious and non-benevolent. Me and many others wish for America to return to its full and benevolent strength, which has been presumed-upon for too long by so many - and I think self-sacrificed from within. I'll say at the risk of drawing some ire. end quote

No ire, Tony, only benevolence. Trump just fired a lady who would not fulfill her oath as acting Secretary of State. Usually, when you are fired you lose some of your pension. Good riddance.

Peter

People in India see it, but the leaders of the formal Objectivist organizations here in the US don't.

Amazing...

From The Economic Times in India by Raghu Krishnan on Jan 27.

Donald Trump’s policies seem to be inspired by Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”

At that distance, some details don't matter. This guy Krishnan sees the big picture just fine.

In O-Land here in the US, people bicker so much over the the goddam seed size, leaf veins and bark texture of the trees, they don't realize anymore that a forest exists.

Michael

On 1/29/2017 at 4:17 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Merlin,

And I was writing about his skyscrapers with "doing."

Others see it. You don't.

My meaning is as obvious as the skyscrapers you ignore.

So how dense can you be?

Michael

Oh, my. Another gotcha-word game from one who revels in accusing others of gotcha-word games.

Yes, I pretty much ignore his skyscrapers for good reason. Paying others to design and erect skyscrapers is far unlike being President. Similarly, Michael Jordan’s attempt at playing professional baseball was far unlike Michael Jordan playing professional basketball.

Imagine the following. Michael Bloomberg had run for and been elected President. MSK hates Bloomberg and repeatedly tries to criticize him for something he says or does during the campaign or as President. Often a Bloomberg-lover rushes to Bloomberg’s defense, with his “Bloomberg card” and says: “Just look at the millions of Bloomberg terminals. Why do you continue to ignore something so obvious? Why do you even pretend they don’t exist?”

How relevant/irrelevant would MSK say all those terminals are to Michael Bloomberg being President?

I have portrayed the character of MSK’s analogous “Trump card.” Others can see that. MSK doesn’t or ignores it. Of course, the “Bloomberg card” and “Trump card” are not equivalent. The “Trump card” is much flimsier. Bloomberg has not bankrupted four businesses. He did not declare a loss of more than $915 million on his 1995 tax return. He hasn’t defaulted on loans like Trump has. His wealth is more than 12 times that of Trump’s. :)

On 1/29/2017 at 3:56 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Merlin,

I love it how you, through some esoteric process I haven't been able to understand, turn Trump's physical skyscrapers into "psychologizing hogwash."

I can't think of a better example of Trump's "doing" than point to his skyscrapers. I stand in awe when people pretend those big fucking buidlings don't exist.

Maybe if I study long and hard enough, I can learn to do that, too, when I grow up.

:evil:  :) 

Michael

More snark and psychologizing.

17 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

People in India see it, but the leaders of the formal Objectivist organizations here in the US don't.

Amazing...

From The Economic Times in India by Raghu Krishnan on Jan 27.

Donald Trump’s policies seem to be inspired by Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged”

At that distance, some details don't matter. This guy Krishnan sees the big picture just fine.

In O-Land here in the US, people bicker so much over the the goddam seed size, leaf veins and bark texture of the trees, they don't realize anymore that a forest exists.

Michael

The author uses "seem" or "seems" a lot. Did the Law of Identity morph into 'A seems like A' without my knowing it? :D

He cites three books and then says, "All three of them are authored by Trump himself." What he doesn't say are:
- the first two are co-authored, 
- the other co-author and publisher of the first one say that Trump played no role in the actual writing of the book,
- neither Ayn Rand nor Atlas Shrugged appear in any of the three.

It's all about projection, folks. And when others don't project like the author did or with MSK's zealotry, then there must be something deeply wrong with said others (per MSK). :evil: :)

5 minutes ago, merjet said:

The author uses "seem(s)" a lot. Did the Law of Identity morph into 'A seems like A' without my knowing it? :D

He cites three books and then says, "All three of them are authored by Trump himself." What he doesn't say are:
- the first two are co-authored, 
- the other co-author and publisher of the first one say that Trump played no role in the actual writing of the book,
- neither Ayn Rand nor Atlas Shrugged appear in any of the three.

It's all about projection, folks. And when others don't project like the author did or with MSK's zealotry, then there must be something deeply wrong with said others. :evil: :)

The Trump phenomenon  seems to be a Necker-Cube for. nervous liberals  who see a Fascist under every bed,  and a Tyrant  in every shadow.

As you say,  it is psychological  projection. 

55 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

The Trump phenomenon  seems to be a Necker-Cube for. nervous liberals  who see a Fascist under every bed,  and a Tyrant  in every shadow.

As you say,  it is psychological  projection. 

:) 

Is the following Dagny Taggart or Ivy Starnes?

chica_o_vieja.jpg

From the sheer quantity and barrage of boneheaded outrage coming from the mainstream media, you may not believe this, but Rush Limbaugh pointed out an interesting Rasmussen poll:

Poll: Only 33% Oppose Trump’s Temporary Refugee Ban

It's noise you hear, not substance.

In other words, it's like the wall in the meme below (that meme should go in Trump Humor, but fits too well here to split it off).

Obstructing Trump

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Finally you admit it.

Your thing is words, not deeds.

The rest is blah blah blah...

Maybe I can learn to be this devastatingly expressive when I grow up, too.

Someone who prefers words, not deeds.

All hogwash. Gee, that was easy. How thoughtful you are.  :D :lol:

5 hours ago, merjet said:

Is the following Dagny Taggart or Ivy Starnes?

chica_o_vieja.jpg

Depends on my mood.

Except he is opposed to aid in dying:

President Trump has officially nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch for the vacant seat on the Supreme Court.

As a devoted member of this movement [Compassion and Choices], you need to know how frightening this is: Judge Gorsuch opposes medical aid in dying and wrote The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia (2006), heralded as “the most comprehensive argument against their legalization--ever published.”