NY TIMES ALERT Congresswoman Giffords shot in the head in Tucson!

Selene

No, Shayne, we are cooking on different stoves.

To me it boils down to human bones. Real ones, bones instead of people, because of the dearest-held principles of others who are still alive.

I strip no right from you. I deplore the carnage that happens because such destructive potential exists as a right, instead of a privilege.

Guns are not discriminate. People are discriminate.

Guns are not discriminate, people are discriminate

Guns do not kill people, people kill people-and if they didnt have a gun they would use a knife or a rock or whatever they could to achieve their purpose

Have you ever read any Rand? Are you interested in her ideas or Objectivism?

In my understanding we are responsible for taking care of ourselves-our own selfinterest , our basic survival and our happiness-a gun fits in this sense of taking care of one's self (especially now!)

I dont understand your presence here.

I have no interest in searching as to why you are here because I dont care. It seems you are just an agitator (as are others here as well)

I have a washing machine with one as well, but it performs a service

Edited by pippi

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's another problem. It is since last summer legal here to pack concealed without a permit. In Arizona, however, it is not easy to do this because of weather that is mild to hot, seldom very cold even in winter. You dress light. Some civilian sees you with a gun, freaks out and calls the cops, you can't tell what might happen. That's what some COSTCO clerk did in Vegas. The guy had a permit. The cops shot him down. It was murder with no indictments, but one promotion.

--Brant

Yes and if you don't believe what the cops get away with, watch the second video:

http://reason.com/blog/2011/01/09/violence-government-violence-a

Shayne

Carol:

Armed homeowner shoots intruder in self defense

• June 27th, 2010 4:39 pm ET

A home invader was reportedly shot in self defense by his would-be elderly victim.

How long until the victim gets sued by the criminal?

I am sincerely starting to believe (maybe I should have known by now)-lawyers have ruined our country

I am sincerely starting to believe (maybe I should have known by now)-lawyers have ruined our country

No it's the sheep who've ruined it. The lawyers just cash in.

Shayne

No it's the sheep who've ruined it. The lawyers just cash in.

Shayne

Sheep aka the sleepwalkers I guess. What would be the payoff in NOT being a sheep now? Homeland security knocking on your door?

What about the 3rd worlder's who take our jobs without question? Why do they work for pennies an hour and have no self respect? It is the culture they were raised in as far as I can tell.

You guys have a lot of opinions on here but no solutions and when asked about solutions none are forthcoming-just more big words and condescension and shutting people down(some are helpful, MSK rules especially-and thank goodness he owns this board-there is hope!)

You are all full of sound and fury signifying nothing-tell me what any of you do in your life that affects anything? (except msk and a few of my pm friends - I am serious-what a waste of time here-Ayn Rand would be ashamed I am sure)

/rant off go ahead pick me apart-call me stupid uneducated and HORRORS a bad example of grammar and spelling - OMG

you know what I am good at both and I dont spell grammar GRAMMER

dang that bugs me

I mean all the best here but I find it sad after the wonderful experience of reading Rand's work to come here and see such pettiness and such - well - nothing.

bye

Edited by pippi

You guys have a lot of opinions on here but no solutions and when asked about solutions none are forthcoming-just more big words and condescension and shutting people down(some are helpful, MSK rules especially-and thank goodness he owns this board-there is hope!)

Looks like we've got a mini-Phil now. I'm sure he's proud.

On my view, the long-term hope for humanity is that people learn to follow reason and to know what individual rights are and actually start respecting them. Since I believe this, I spent two years of my free time writing a book based on many more years of my own independent thinking, hoping it would help. If you don't think this is good enough, tell me what else you'd like me to do. Perhaps you can give me some examples from your own life that I can learn from.

Shayne

-You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Humans are even more stubborn than horses.

Looks like we've got a mini-Phil now. I'm sure he's proud.

On my view, the long-term hope for humanity is that people learn to follow reason and to know what individual rights are and actually start respecting them. Since I believe this, I spent two years of my free time writing a book based on many more years of my own independent thinking, hoping it would help. If you don't think this is good enough, tell me what else you'd like me to do. Perhaps you can give me some examples from your own life that I can learn from.

Shayne

-You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Humans are even more stubborn than horses.

Tell me the title of your book and I would love to read it and talk to you about it

give me substance over style or please stop insulting people here

surprise me

Start a thread with an original thought and let me know when you do I would love to see it.

Post a url to buying your book or an excerpt?

Everytime I read your posts I kick myself for reacting to them

Edited by pippi

• 1 year later...

thecaucus_post.png

January 22, 2012, 2:42 pm

Gabrielle Giffords Says She’s Leaving the House

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER

Updated | WASHINGTON – Representative Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat from Arizona whose unlikely recovery from a shooting last year stirred her colleagues and the nation, said Sunday that she would resign from Congress to focus on improving her health.

In a video released on Sunday afternoon, Ms. Giffords, in a halting voice, explained: “I don’t remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week.”

But Ms. Giffords hinted at a potential return to elective office. “I will return, and we will work together for Arizona and this great country,” she said.

On Jan. 8, 2011, Ms. Giffords was shot by Jared Lee Loughner, a 22-year-old college dropout, at a Congress on Your Corner meet-and-greet event outside a grocery store in Tucson, Ariz. A 9-year-old girl named Christina Green and a federal judge, John Roll, were among those killed. Mr. Loughner has been charged with numerous federal counts, among them the attempted assassination of a member of Congress.

Ms. Giffords’s decision to step down throws the race for her seat representing Arizona’s Eighth District into chaos. She barely fought off her Republican challenger in 2010, but was expected to be a shoo-in for re-election had she decided to run this year. The remainder of her term will be filled by the winner of a special election on a date to be determined by Gov. Jan Brewer.

Under Arizona law, a governor has 72 hours from the day the vacancy is declared to name the dates for special elections; the primary must take place 80 to 90 days from date of the vacancy followed by a general election 50 to 60 days after that.

Democrats, fearing the loss of the seat, had hoped that Ms. Giffords’s husband, the retired astronaut Mark Kelly, would run in her place. Friends of the couple said on Sunday that they thought that was not likely, and that Mr. Kelly would be more inclined to spend his time helping his wife with her recovery.

According to her office, Ms. Giffords will attempt to “finish her Congress on Your Corner” event in the supermarket parking lot in Tucson where she was shot. It will be a private event that will include some of the people who attended last year. Ms. Giffords, who will officially resign later this week, will also attend President Obama’s State of the Union address on Tuesday night in the House chamber.

In August, Ms. Giffords, who was first elected in 2006, made a surprise return to the Capitol to cast a vote to raise the nation’s debt ceiling. Her visit raised the specter of a possible return.

John A. Boehner, who became House speaker only days before the shooting, said in a statement on Sunday: “I salute Representative Giffords for her service, and for the courage and perseverance she has shown in the face of tragedy. She will be missed.”

In a statement, Representative Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader, who visited Ms. Giffords in the hospital shortly after the shooting and was there when she first opened her eyes, said: “I join all my colleagues in Congress in thanking Gabby for the honor of calling her colleague and wishing Gabby and Mark great success and happiness. She will be missed in the House of Representatives, but her legacy in the Congress and her leadership for our nation will certainly continue.”

http://thecaucus.blo...g-the-house/?hp

Adam Nagourney and Sara Maslin Nir contributed reporting.

There are also some excellent pro Second Amendment arguments of the individual right to own and carry guns.