NY TIMES ALERT Congresswoman Giffords shot in the head in Tucson!

Selene

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes this a "sad and shocking day" for Americans?

Chris:

Out of curiosity, is that a serious question?

Adam

Doesn't help when Palin does stupid things like this:

http://www.alan.com/...get-map-says-ti

Shayne

That is really tacky-god I can't stand that woman!

Folks:

Interesting. Gifford's district is one that is targeted.

The posting is from March 24, 2010. Sarah is very straight forward. This is well within the bounds of political speech. Moreover, it was at the height of the marxist takeover of America via the O'biwan to take you to the poor house fascist medical bill.

"Targeting" is a standard political term. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703562404575067372476731404.html

Democrats Target Stimulus Critics Who Sought Funds

Some Republicans Who Slammed $787 Billion Program Also Sought Funds for Projects in Their Districts, Letters Show

Shayne, you, as I am, are admirers of Tom Paine. Was he any less extreme in his messenging than Palin?

You know he was much more extreme.

Adam

Edited by Selene

What makes this a "sad and shocking day" for Americans?

Are you kidding me?

If not, um, six people died at an open political meeting. Six people shot to death, including a child, and 12 wounded.

Shock and sorrow is somehow inappropriate, Chris?

What do you feel, if not shock and sorrow?

Considering the current state of the country, I really don't find this shocking at all. It just seems like "business as usual" for this country.

What??? Your comments in this thread are unbelievably cruel and heartless-what is the matter with you ?

This is one of the times Obama should get his mug on tv-if he doesn't (and I have a feeling he wont) he is truly a pitiful sack of skin.

Pippi, he did get his mug on tv, and to an outside observer this was one of No-drama Obama's best, most restrained hours. All of the emotion and politics are implicit. Think if Glenn Beck were commenting, on the shooting of say Palin?

Shayne, you, as I am, are admirers of Tom Paine. Was he any less extreme in his messenging than Palin?

Adam

Yes I admire Paine. If you think he did something comparably stupid to what Palin did you'll have to specify and example, because I don't know of anything. Frankly I think it's idiotic to compare Paine to Palin, but give it your best shot.

Shayne

Considering the current state of the country, I really don't find this shocking at all. It just seems like "business as usual" for this country.

What??? Your comments in this thread are unbelievably cruel and heartless-what is the matter with you ?

Yes, Chris, of all today's actions, yours are the most distressing.

LOL!

At least in your outrage you've finally learned to capitalize, Pippi, if not to format your punctuation properly.

Next we'll have a thread on how this is all Phil's fault.

Yes, Chris, of all today's actions, yours are the most distressing.

LOL!

At least in your outrage you've finally learned to capitalize, Pippi, if not to format your punctuation properly.

Next we'll have a thread on how this is all Phil's fault.

I am not saying his actions were the most distressing TODAY, that would be ridiculous-they are distressing though.

p.s. thanks for the unsolicited critique of my posting style

Fair enough. I will revise my "Sad and shocking day for Americans," in light of your blasé reaction.

It is a sad and shocking day for many Americans. Some Americans, typified by Chris Baker, are actually not shocked, though they may be saddened.

Tell us, Chris, so that we do not misunderstand your reaction. Are you saddened by the deaths?

What little is publicly known about the alleged shooter, Jared Loughner, indicates that he is deeply disturbed.

Meanwhile, as the media declaim in their shared echo chamber and various forms of panicked speculation make their rounds,

Jonah Goldberg's old piece on Cho Seung-hui, the perpetrator of the Virginia Tech massacre, seems relevant:

http://www.nationalr.../jonah-goldberg

What we do know is that the shooter blew away a Federal judge and put a bullet through a Congresswoman's head—in one side and out the other.

In the process he killed several other people and wounded a bunch more, because they happened to be within range.

Shock and sorrow are definitely appropriate.

Robert Campbell

Adam

Yes I admire Paine. If you think he did something comparably stupid to what Palin did you'll have to specify and example, because I don't know of anything. Frankly I think it's idiotic to compare Paine to Palin, but give it your best shot.

Shayne

Shayne:

Your labeling Palin's "targeting" SarahPac ad as "stupid" does not prove the case, my friend. The intention of the ad was to generate money. It worked quite well.

Therefore, I have no intention to compare Paine to Palin, or vice versa.

This is the political arena where we get our hands dirty and slug it out.

Interesting choice of words "best shot," in light of the events today, don't you think?

Adam

Edited by Selene

Chris,

You mean assassinations are business as usual?

Robert Campbell

Shayne:

Your labeling Palin's "targeting" SarahPac ad as "stupid" does not prove the case, my friend. The intention of the ad was to generate money. It worked quite well.

Therefore, I have no intention to compare Paine to Palin, or vice versa.

I knew you wouldn't be able to, and I could have guessed you'd weasel out in this manner.

Interesting choice of words "best shot," in light of the events today, don't you think?

Adam

You are seriously deranged. Get help.

Shayne

Thank you Shayne.

Be safe.

Adam

Fair enough. I will revise my "Sad and shocking day for Americans," in light of your blasé reaction.

It is a sad and shocking day for many Americans. Some Americans, typified by Chris Baker, are actually not shocked, though they may be saddened.

Tell us, Chris, so that we do not misunderstand your reaction. Are you saddened by the deaths?

Am I saddened by the death of a child? Yes.

Am I saddened by the death of a judge? Definitely not.

Am I saddened by the shooting of a politician? Definitely not.

Thank you Shayne.

Be safe.

Adam

Free speech is one thing. Veiled physical threats are another. I won't ask you to stop threatening me because at least people will know who to interrogate if something happens to me.

Shayne

Thank you Shayne.

Be safe.

Adam

Free speech is one thing. Veiled physical threats are another. I won't ask you to stop threatening me because at least people will know who to interrogate if something happens to me.

Shayne

Shayne:

I am one of the most non-violent people you will ever converse with.

"Be safe" is a phrase that I use all the time.

So, have a safe day Shayne.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Am I saddened by the death of a child? Yes.

Am I saddened by the death of a judge? Definitely not.

Am I saddened by the shooting of a politician? Definitely not.

Fair enough. The assassinated Judge was a GHW Bush appointee, best-known for ruling against gun control laws.

Extrapolating from your neutral opinion on shooting this particular judge, I tentatively assume that you would be non-sad if other Republican judges who rule against gun control were shot dead by psychotic young people outside grocery stores.

I do hope that covers your emotional range and your sturdy grip on the issues.

Edited by william.scherk