Is OL a gay site?

Anfama

I'm asking whether OL is a gay site, as I say, nothing wrong with that, only on account of picking up a vibe here and there. Certainly nothing I can take to court with which to get a conviction, but just that my gaydar picked up something in the air, ever so slight, an almost imperceptible rustle in this post and that, hardly detectable. I have to cough up the usual "It's great if you're gay" so nobody's feathers are ruffled. And I understand the obligation to do that because of the history of stigmatization and persecution of gays. Don't get me wrong. I just want to know the nature of the natives I'm meeting for the first time in here. I can just hear someone now, "We welcome everybody." Someone who gets what I'm driving at I would appreciate a more definitive answer. Thanx. Oh, and some of my best friends are gay. I mean it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in some examples of what you consider evidence. Do you have a search engine that trolls the web in search of gay prose style?

(Sometimes people here act like bitchy queens, but that is long-standing, characteristic Objectivist behavior, having nothing to do with sexual orientation.)

I'm asking whether OL is a gay site, as I say, nothing wrong with that, only on account of picking up a vibe here and there. Certainly nothing I can take to court with which to get a conviction, but just that my gaydar picked up something in the air, ever so slight, an almost imperceptible rustle in this post and that, hardly detectable. I have to cough up the usual "It's great if you're gay" so nobody's feathers are ruffled. And I understand the obligation to do that because of the history of stigmatization and persecution of gays. Don't get me wrong. I just want to know the nature of the natives I'm meeting for the first time in here. I can just hear someone now, "We welcome everybody." Someone who gets what I'm driving at I would appreciate a more definitive answer. Thanx. Oh, and some of my best friends are gay. I mean it.

my 4 children and 5 grand children scoff in your general direction.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Not to mention that having grandchildren has nothing to do with being gay.

Anyone here can bring up any sort of question, I guess. But your "concern" seems rather,...er,...strange. :huh::rolleyes:

Generally, we discuss matters relating to philosophy, politics, history, psychology, sociology,...and related. But, as far as I can tell (and I have been hanging around here for a number of years), most discussions do not deal specifically with sex or sexual orientation. Some have announced their sexual orientation (gay, straight, etc.), but that is their choice, and usually it has been in the context of political discrimination against certain groups or individuals.

I mean, really - who cares? Objectivists may be divided somewhat by factions (real, imagined, or fabricated), but sexual orientation is a non-issue among all these groups, and certainly, here.

I put this topic here in the Garbage Pile where it belongs.

As a first post, the implications are not good.

OL is a site devoted to independent thinking using Objectivism as a starting point.

"Independent" includes homosexuals, just as it includes all kinds of people.

The prerequisite is to have a brain and want to use it.

Michael

Here at OL, we don't care what side of the track you're on. Odd question for a first post.

~ Shane

Not really. This place is as queer as a three dollar bill. Only at SOLOP do they have lighter loafers. If you want uptight macho posturing and a bit of sado-masochism try RoR.

> Neither I nor my boyfriend is gay. [Ted]

Now that's funny. I had to read it twice before I got the joke.

(Bit slow on the uptake) :mellow:

> Neither I nor my boyfriend is gay. [Ted]

Now that's funny. I had to read it twice before I got the joke.

(Bit slow on the uptake) :mellow:

I am glad you got the intended humor. But the statement is quite literally true, Phil. Can you figure it out?

Edited by Ted Keer

Ted,

It's dangerous to leave that open and ask people to guess.

It's a good thing you asked Phil, because I don't imagine he would immediately pop out with speculations about having sex with little children, animals or food. The day I hear Phil come up with something on his own like banging a watermelon, I will know that miracles are possible.

:)

Michael

Michael:

Believe me, I not only bit my tongue, but I tied both my hands to my chair!

Oh the openings were endless.

Adam

Given that gay, bi, and straight are typically taken to cover the full range of options on what gender one is attracted to, I am not sure what exactly was "left open" in the context of the thread. But if you want to make toilet jokes and explore the range of perverted actions that you "gentlemen" are able to imagine, feel quite free to snicker as you expose the dark corridors of your own minds.

Ted,

If you don't want to play, you missed a great opportunity to keep you trap shut.

This kind of banter is not a good place for you to try to parade your vanity and pretend you are a superior soul.

Better keep to name-dropping and things like that.

Those fool the reader with more effectiveness than banter about sex.

Michael

Ted,

If you don't want to play, you missed a great opportunity to keep you trap shut.

This kind of banter is not a good place for you to try to parade your vanity and pretend you are a superior soul.

Better keep to name-dropping and things like that.

Those fool the reader with more effectiveness than banter about sex.

Michael

Equating homosexuality with child abuse and bestiality is about as ignorant as it gets.

If you would rather this be about anything other than your own words, even if you have to make things up, I can understand.

Edited by Ted Keer