Art from my Mentor Program

Newberry

coy.jpg

This is a A J Nesselrod oil painting completed about 10 days ago in my Art Mentor Program in Santa Monica, its oil on panel, 12 x 24 inches. A J is tall guy, about 6' 5, lives about an hour away with his wife and kid, is about 40, conservative, and covered in tattoos.

A J replies to several responses to a facebook post:

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm a beginning painter, and this was my first painting under the mentorship of Michael. I feel incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to study under him. He took the time to explain color theory, and how it worked within my subject, as well as composition, movement, and unbelievably great techniques likes glazing and scumbling. I can't recommend his mentorship class enough. THANK YOU Michael!!!!!!!!

Amazing work. I had to look a second time to realize it wasn't a photo.

~ Shane

Amazing work. I had to look a second time to realize it wasn't a photo.

~ Shane

Yes - was most impressed with his work... most of those doing koi fail to really achieve the 'being under water' bit and keep a good perspective to the whole of the work - angling it instead of an overhead approach improves the sense of space [not that there is anything wrong with the overhead approach, only that I keep wanting to have it as a floor painting instead of on the wall]

coy.jpg

This is a A J Nesselrod oil painting completed about 10 days ago in my Art Mentor Program in Santa Monica, its oil on panel, 12 x 24 inches. A J is tall guy, about 6' 5, lives about an hour away with his wife and kid, is about 40, conservative, and covered in tattoos.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm a beginning painter, and this was my first painting under the mentorship of Michael. I feel incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to study under him. He took the time to explain color theory, and how it worked within my subject, as well as composition, movement, and unbelievably great techniques likes glazing and scumbling. I can't recommend his mentorship class enough. THANK YOU Michael!!!!!!!!

Just incredible. I could buy this. I assume the artist was previously active painting and studying painting and this is a big step up for him.

--Brant

Thanks for your comments guys.

Just incredible. I could buy this. I assume the artist was previously active painting and studying painting and this is a big step up for him.

--Brant

I sent on your comment and queries to him. I also suggested a retail price to him. I will probably hear back later tonight.

Michael

EspirituAscendente.jpg

Woodul, Espiritu Ascendente (Ascending Spirit), 2007,

charcoal on Rives BFK, 16 x 26 inches (40.6 x 66 cm)

A giclee of this piece will be in my gallery's upcoming show, Symbolic Still Life, Jan 23-Feb 26, 2010

The following is the artist, Mary Woodul's comment about the work and working with me.

Espiritu Ascendente

This piece is dedicated to my granddaughter Pao who as some of you know, left us two years ago at age five. She was born brain damaged and was deprived of verbal communication and voluntary movement but she had the capability of offering a smile with a radiance I have never seen in anyone else.

This smile, like her giggles would make me feel and understand how such a simple action could give you moments of complete happiness. No other smile has ever been the same.

The flower symbolizes her as I think she left us that day, radiant and turning to a light that only she was capable of seeing. The lace is characteristic of her fragility, beauty and her Latin heritage. The cloth is the baby sheet she spent many hours on in my house when she was brought to visit me frequently. I can feel her sweet angelic smile as I have worked on this and now that I am posting it.

I have chosen a Spanish title that translated means, Ascending Spirit. Spanish because, as the lace, reflects her Latin heritage and I think it is the title that best describes this piece. The flower, her symbol, has a slight turn upward as if it were lifting itself from the sheet to the light that guides the Spirit.

I thank Michael Newberry from the bottom of my heart for this unforgettable experience that at times was difficult, as he said it would be, but most of the time I had the pleasure of feeling her presence.

Mary Woodul

Edited by Newberry

I just noticed the illusion of motion like a stream flowing almost, but it's a still pond. The composition in the upper left corner sort of banks the pond as in a stream bank and the painting composition comes down, toward you as if the painting itself was flowing. The direction the fish is pointing is correct for that too. But that upper left corner is so important to the composition. An anchor.

--Brant

With the Koi, he spent about 50 hours and about $350 in expenses. And he actually worked quickly, rarely making a false move in which he would have repaint several times (that happens!), the painting flowed pretty much like the composition.

With the Koi, he spent about 50 hours and about $350 in expenses. And he actually worked quickly, rarely making a false move in which he would have repaint several times (that happens!), the painting flowed pretty much like the composition.

I had no idea about the time or expenses. As a point of interest could you break down the expenses? The painting is smallish. If it were several times bigger would the expenses increase proportionally? I've a bunch of paintings from an artist who only did collages and watercolor because she was allergic to oil based paints. I had the impression her expenses were much lower than these. Such costs as you've indicated would surely motivate a student to learn WTF he was doing pretty quickly or try another endeavor--perhaps too soon. I remember an old infomercial from 20 years ago where this guy did a painting in half an hour to show how easy it could be. It was impressive but I laughed because I also knew it was pure kitsch. My Mother has a nice print of I think a famous or well know painting called The Old King. In the Internet it is commonly available for under $100. I figure the frame is worth twice the print.

How much would it cost to make high quality prints of your student's painting? I know that's too soon and a whole another kettle of fish, but I'm curious about that too. I know the painter retains the copyright even if the painting has been sold. And then there's the Internet to publicize the artist in a way that couldn't use to be done.

--Brant

thinking of higher offer

how does one frame a painting done on a panel? Does one?

is your student working on another with your mentorship?

Edited by Brant Gaede

My offer is $350 for an option to buy by the end of October 2010 for an additional $3500 including any buyer's premium.

I am also willing to pay $500 for another painting using similar materials at least the same size: an option to buy for an additional $5000 by the end of October 2010 if done under your mentorship. If the painting is now underway, I'd have to see a photo of it done first to apply this offer to it.

The artist can buy back the unexercised options during their lifetime for a 100% premium but not in the context of their being exercised if I am first given the opportunity to immediately exercise.

(If taken in the aggregate there will be also an embedded option to advance another $500 on a third painting after I have seen a rendition of the second.)

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

About expenses. A. J. has come seven times to the mentor program, he has driven an hour and a quarter each way with an SUV - Orange County to L.A., he has also worked on the piece at home. Roughly $280. The panel, brushes, oil mediums, paint would run about $45-80, depending what he already had in stock.

Posters are really advertisements for artists. They don't make anything with one offs, and usually don't sell enough of them to justify the storage, handling, packaging, and shipping expenses and if they pass those on to the buyer, it becomes too expensive for a poster.

Giclees, highest quality reproduction, are worthwhile for the artist and collector (under certain circumstances), priced retail upwards of $600. Expenses include professionally photographed $200-600, the wholesale cost of the giclee (depending on size and materials $50-100 each), shipping from the printer to the artist (to sign) and then again to the buyer another $50. The buyer has to think of the expense of the frame, matt, glass - that can be anywhere between $125-650. The buyer should look at buying a giclee to hang from $750-$2500. I think gicless make more sense when the original is priced high, $30,000 - $300,000 and up. Or simply not available.

-----

Okay, the Koi original, framed and shipped to you. $3,000. If you lived here, L.A. area, it would be no problem for you to borrow the work for a day or two to see how it looks in your home or office. Galleries usually will accept the work back if the collector trades up.

First refusal is usually given to a collector out of courtesy, yet they have to make up their mind immediately if there is another offer.

Hope this helps.

Michael

How exclusive is this program? You mention that applicants have to show samples. Are they already professionals? What portion of the applicants do you accept? How many of the applicants would you say are good enough to merit further training? To consider careers as artists?

About expenses. A. J. has come seven times to the mentor program, he has driven an hour and a quarter each way with an SUV - Orange County to L.A., he has also worked on the piece at home. Roughly $280. The panel, brushes, oil mediums, paint would run about $45-80, depending what he already had in stock.

Posters are really advertisements for artists. They don't make anything with one offs, and usually don't sell enough of them to justify the storage, handling, packaging, and shipping expenses and if they pass those on to the buyer, it becomes too expensive for a poster.

Giclees, highest quality reproduction, are worthwhile for the artist and collector (under certain circumstances), priced retail upwards of $600. Expenses include professionally photographed $200-600, the wholesale cost of the giclee (depending on size and materials $50-100 each), shipping from the printer to the artist (to sign) and then again to the buyer another $50. The buyer has to think of the expense of the frame, matt, glass - that can be anywhere between $125-650. The buyer should look at buying a giclee to hang from $750-$2500. I think gicless make more sense when the original is priced high, $30,000 - $300,000 and up. Or simply not available.

-----

Okay, the Koi original, framed and shipped to you. $3,000. If you lived here, L.A. area, it would be no problem for you to borrow the work for a day or two to see how it looks in your home or office. Galleries usually will accept the work back if the collector trades up.

First refusal is usually given to a collector out of courtesy, yet they have to make up their mind immediately if there is another offer.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Please reread my post. We are losing something in this back and forth.

--Brant

My offer is $350 for an option to buy by the end of October 2010 for an additional $3500 including any buyer's premium.

Brant,

I am not a wheeler dealer. Simple and straightforward. If you would like own the piece you can buy it. No buyer's premiums, and no options to buy.

Michael

Edited by Newberry

Brant,

I am not a wheeler dealer. Simple and straightforward. If you would like own the piece you can buy it. No buyer's premiums, and no options to buy.

Michael

Sorry for the confusion. I'll get it straightened out.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

How exclusive is this program? You mention that applicants have to show samples. Are they already professionals? What portion of the applicants do you accept? How many of the applicants would you say are good enough to merit further training? To consider careers as artists?

If it is you that is interested, send me some of your work and we can take it from there. mtnewberry@gmail.com

melissaE.jpg

Melissa Hefferlin, Self-Portrait, 1993(?), charcoal on Rives BFK, approx. 6 x 4 feet.

Melissa Hefferlin is one of the first artists I mentored, she was 22 and student at Otis College of Art and Design. Here is her over life-sized self-portrait she did at the time, which I considered her "graduation" piece. I am honored that it is in my personal art collection.

Melissa is also one of the artists in the upcoming show Oct. 17, 2009, Landscape with a Modern Edge.

Edited by Newberry

• 1 month later...

coy.jpg

Sold.