What do you watch and listen to?

Mike11

Just trying to get an exchange of values goin here...

For the news, corporate media -

Fox News - These guys are useful on a boring evening. Given their extreme use of emotional language, shoddy sources and uncanny ability to use every fallacy known to the Greeks and Romans, a single 3 minute clip can provide hours of debunking fun for the whole family.

Al Jazeera - Two programs on this network I watch. The first is from their front man Riz Khan. While his biases are out in the open he always gives both sides an equal chance to speak and covers a wide variety of issues you never here about from the American MSM. The second is the Listening Post, a look at the media itself covering things like Hollywood and the Military's mutual dependence or critical looks at its own coverage.

NBC: Meet the Press - What can I say? Its hard hitting and informative.

For the news, not from the land of corporate hackery -

The Daily Show - See the guy who got Cross Fire kicked off the air. In all seriousness though this show has guests of consistently higher interest then those CBS, NBS, ABC and CNN seem able to book.

News From Within - A podcast covering events inside Israel/Palestine. Left wing definitely but still good.

For other interesting stuff -

The America Humanist Association Podcast - When they aren't grinding the axes they have some cool guests.

So yah, what do you guys view?

Edited by Joel Mac Donald

My news comes from the internet - Instapundit, Google News, Salon, Slate, and so forth - each providing me with the cross-spective... on occasions, look up what is local... I find my life too important to spend too much time on 'the news' - there's a world out there to remake in my image, as it were....... :)

Edited by anonrobt

I read Redeye on the train and I get Wall Street Journal online at work as well as business news articles linked from my company website. I subscribe to Time and watch Fox news and CNN, check general sites like yahoo and google news as well as following links all over the place. I have several news sources, such as whatgoeson.com and the British Beatles fanclub that populate my Beatles news site.

Kat

C-Span

Meet the Press until Russert died.

Internet

radio

Adam

Just trying to get an exchange of values goin here...

For the news, corporate media -

Fox News - These guys are useful on a boring evening. Given their extreme use of emotional language, shoddy sources and uncanny ability to use every fallacy known to the Greeks and Romans, a single 3 minute clip can provide hours of debunking fun for the whole family.

Not all of Fox is all that bad. I like Brit Hume. He seems like a reasonable fellow. Too bad he is retiring.

In general I consider news to be a recounting of facts or a presentation of events as they happen. What events happened. What did so and so say or do? Who? What? When? Where? How?. Why is a matter of opinion. I simply ignore most opinions expressed under the rubric of News. I am a fan of the the Jack Webb School --- Just the facts, ma'am.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I had "rabbit ears" on my TV for 15 years and got 2-3 local channels, depending on reception, and I watched news once in a while. Then I got HD satellite with a PVR and I haven't watched a news program for a couple years. They have a lot of nerve calling it 'news' - it's the same crap over and over again.

I have not watched much TV since after I was a teen in the 1960s. I used to listen to radio news in the States in the 1990s and first half of the 2000s on my favorite Classical music station out of Buffalo, and it was either from the Christian Science Monitor, NPR or BBC. Because they were only a short interruption from the otherwise non-stop Classical music radio programs, I kept them on. Here I can get Australian or BBC news on the radio.

But here I mostly read news online, and I look at BBC World News online to catch the highlights. There are a couple of English language local news websites out of Bangkok that I check if I am going out, most of all to see if there is a demonstration, riot or police action happening in places I want to visit downtown. (My adopted country is heading into civil war.)

I try to buy the latest print copy of The Economist each week and take it with me if I have to wait anywhere for a spell. I think that it is one of the all-time great English-language weekly news magazines, and if I had to choose only one weekly it would be this one. I have found, through over a decade of close reading of it, that The Economist has uncanny predictions of looming global trouble spots long before the coming problem is even mentioned by other news sources.

An American acquaintance of mine here was once giving me the guided tour of the classic go-go bar/whore venues in Bangkok’s sordid late-night underbelly; I think he was trying to shock me or something. He remarked that I was the only person he had ever witnessed who brought along a copy of The Economist into the infamous Susie Wong’s on Soi Cowboy (see an early scene just outside this bar in the remake of “Bangkok Dangerous” with Nicholas Cage).

But my philosophy is that, when one is prowling unarmed through the bowels of Bangkok, one must keep some culture, rationality and focus firmly within one’s grip. And, a rolled up magazine is also an unobtrusive – and legal -- defensive accouterment.

-Ross Barlow.

I believe there are a 122 or 127 pressure points that can kill the human body.

I good metal pen is an excellent weapon as well as the magazine and they go sooo well together.

It is an excellent magazine though.

Adam

All my news comes from the web. I don't watch TV and don't read papers. I see news magazines when I'm in a doctor's waiting room or something like that, but that's about it. The web sites I frequent:

The Washington Post

National Review Online

Jewish World Review

Wall Street Journal

US News and World Report

a local paper if I'm still in the mood for news

Judith

I go to cnsnews.com.

Additionally, I listen to Mark Levin on AM radio. (www.marklevinshow.com)

For financial perspective and recommendations I go to Phil's Gang on AM radio (www.philsgang.com)

I used to watch news shows such as 20/20. but I no longer do so because they have ceased to be interesting. (I do watch Stossel occasionally.) Ditto documentaries, although once in a while I find something valuable. Now, I watch Fox News -- I especially like Neil Cavuto -- and I skim the headlines of the Los Angeles Times. I subscribe to Tracinski's The Intellectual Activist, which is often very good, and to Liberty, To the Point, and The New Individualist, and I often go to Reason Online, National Review Online. Wall Street Journal, Jewish World Review, and Atlantic Online. I like Charles Krauthammer and read his column often, along with Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell. I am inundated with news and opinion pieces that people send me by email, and I read what looks interesting. I read and very much liked Robert Bidinotto's blog which, sadly, he has discontinued, and there are several other blogs specializing in news and opinion that I dip into now and then. I read a fair number of blogs and opinion pieces by writers I disagree with-- such as Huffington -- in order to know what they're saying and doing. Medicine has always fascinated me, and I regularly read news of the latest medical research and discoveries and of work being done in the study of the brain. I follow the work being done at the Positive Psychology Center.

Since the election, I've cut down drastically on the political news I follow. For months, I was a news junkie, and now it's a great relief not to feel required to follow the details of the latest political insanity.

Barbara