Radicals for Happiness

kiaer.ts

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rand's Favorite, Cleese's Best & New Yawk! all new at Radicals for Happiness.

Jose Manuel Capuletti

Hot in the City

John Cleese: "Don't Mention the War!"

Capilar.jpg

Looks like a little Ayn Rand may have gotten into this portrait. I do know a lot of AR got into "Desnudo." Arthur Silber asked him if it was a combination of Rand and a certain European actress and he said yes, emphatically. It was characteristic of his personality to be emphatic, his wife's too. I believe she had been a flamingo dancer.

--Brant

(edit): I told Arthur that what I didn't like about Capu's work was that his paintings struck me as cold. Arthur replied that that was what he did like. If he's been forgotten that, I suspect, is the reason. Dali is much the greater painter, but temperature has nothing to do with that assessment.

Edited by Brant Gaede

Rand's Favorite, Cleese's Best & New Yawk! all new at Radicals for Happiness.

Jose Manuel Capuletti

Hot in the City

John Cleese: "Don't Mention the War!"

Capilar.jpg

Looks like a little Ayn Rand may have gotten into this portrait. I do know a lot of AR got into "Desnudo." Arthur Silber asked him if it was a combination of Rand and a certain European actress and he said yes, emphatically. It was characteristic of his personality to be emphatic, his wife's too. I believe she had been a flamingo dancer.

--Brant

(edit): I told Arthur that what I didn't like about Capu's work was that his paintings struck me as cold. Arthur replied that that was what he did like. If he's been forgotten that, I suspect, is the reason. Dali is much the greater painter, but temperature has nothing to do with that assessment.

As a young grasshopper here, my only knowledge of Capuletti is from reading Rand's article in the Objectivist and what very little I've seen on the web. The portrait here strikes me as thematically interesting, but the color is indeed cold. But it's hard to judge a painting from a jpeg. The other image on my website strikes me as a second rate knock-off of Dali in regard to skill, but my emotional response to the theme is positive.

As a young grasshopper here, my only knowledge of Capuletti is from reading Rand's article in the Objectivist and what very little I've seen on the web. The portrait here strikes me as thematically interesting, but the color is indeed cold. But it's hard to judge a painting from a jpeg. The other image on my website strikes me as a second rate knock-off of Dali in regard to skill, but my emotional response to the theme is positive.

Oh, I don't think all in all he was a Dali imitator or knock-offer. He had his own thing and I liked a lot of it when I saw it at the Hammer Galleries in 1970. I also got an autographed color brochure. He did not speak English, so I doubt he was a "Randroid." One painting I remember I liked very much was priced at 20,000 in 1970 dollars. I wouldn't like it so much today, wherever it is. Big landscape, small, distant figures. I think the pricing was partially designed to suck in money from wealthy Objectivists. Now, if I were wealthy, I'd visit the artist's studio and probably save on individual pieces but buy too many. I once did that in New Jersey (but much lower prices). The artist lined up at least 20 of her paintings for me in her living room and today I have about fifteen. One she had already sold so I told her to tell the buyer I'd double what she paid and I got that one! That was the most expensive. If I remember correctly, $480, about 1200 in today's dollars. I still like it; it's in storage. Most of these paintings are of northeastern motif. I now live in Arizona.

--Brant

Radicals for Happiness is my blog dedicated to spreading things of value amongst likeminded people. The blog is implicitly Objectivist. I accept the principles of Objectivism, but the site does not promote Objectivism per se or engage in philosophical argument - it just takes it for granted that you may have read Rand or have some familiarity with her. Neither are the subjects I address, ranging from music, books, painters, websites and web resources, among other things, necessarily Randian or of interest to all Randians. For example, check out the posts on Orson Welles' Mercury Theater and the website Strange Maps. I will update this thread occasionally to list my most recent posts. Please check out the site, and post your comments if you enjoy it. Thanks.

I found -Time Bandits- to be really off putting. But I loved -Brazil-. It is what -1984- would have been if George Orwell had a sense of humor (which he did not). In seeing -Time Bandits- I discovered (to my surprise) that I have a visceral loathing for dwarfs. When I see their stubby fingers and their twisted features I have his irrational desire to stomp on them. Of course, I don't, but I can't stand them.

Ba'al Chatzaf

LOL!

Well, Brazil is quite inspired at points. The rollerskating bureaucrats and Katherine Helmond's plastic surgery are live-action Dali paintings. But the movie is too long and too dark. 12 Monkies is a wonderful sci-fi movie, but again, very dark. Time Bandits is a wonderful sense of life film. Did you watch the clip I posted, Bob? It's short (not diminutive) and quite witty.

LOL!

Well, Brazil is quite inspired at points. The rollerskating bureaucrats and Katherine Helmond's plastic surgery are live-action Dali paintings. But the movie is too long and too dark. 12 Monkies is a wonderful sci-fi movie, but again, very dark. Time Bandits is a wonderful sense of life film. Did you watch the clip I posted, Bob? It's short (not diminutive) and quite witty.

I saw all of -Time Bandits-. Yucch. Only one movie has left me more depressed and in ill spirits and that is -AI- which Spielberg continued to make after Kubrick died. What a downer. What an ill-spirited thing that was.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ted,

Done.

btw - This is not exactly an introduction thread. I'm thinking of moving it. Do you have any place that you prefer? (I find "Movies and Entertainment" a good choice, but I prefer to wait for your opinion.)

Michael

I'd prefer art gallery or music to movies and entertainment, but am not sure that any makes much more sense. Maybe a new section like reviews and recomendations? Or leave it where it is? I had intended to put it in my blog here, but new blog entires don't show up under "View New Posts".

I guess the beautiful broad in the bottom picture is happy.

--Brant

Muh!~

I guess you haven't seen the movie! Read the post Romeo is Bleeding and watch the clip. She's a an avalanche and a psychopath. Quite an incredible sexy actress - Lena Olin. I'd "kill" my boyfriend to have her, and he would me. (It's fun to tell people that neither I nor my boyfriend are gay...) I doubt the character she plays could have been happy, ever. The movie is, in that respect, a hetero/ish male fantasy.

romeo108.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Comparative Theology from the Time Bandits (achondroplasia-free).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnE2nw2mi7E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnE2nw2mi7E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnE2nw2mi7E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is a hoot.

Ba'al Chatzaf