Rand on Johnny Carson

Ellen,

Thanks, I inserted your correction in brackets in my post above.

The next thing to do is look in "Ayn Rand for Beginners" by Andrew Bernstein. I remember seeing it at the local Barnes & Noble. I'll check next time I'm there.

I’ve seen a couple references to Rand’s third Carson appearance being less successful. It’s not reproduced in Objectively Speaking. Does anyone know what happened? Did Carson start challenging her?

Can't imagine why anybody would say that. I thought it was better than the first; never saw the second. They talked mostly about literature. Some day it will turn up and we can judge for ourselves.

Are you sure you saw the third and not the second? When I watched, one or the other, back then, Barbara Branden was in the front audience row ("having the time of my life") and the preceding guest--I'm almost sure--was some painter-artist with a wedding portrait of LBJ's daughter and new Marine officer son-in-law.

--Brant

of course I don't remember a damn thing she talked about

This was during the Christmas season, which, according to the chronologies, makes it the third. He started out asking if the holiday season affected her much, and she replied "I'm chronically happy."

I’ve seen a couple references to Rand’s third Carson appearance being less successful.

Can't imagine why anybody would say that.

I just went hunting for where I'd read that, and I found it on this very thread.

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5452entry46943

Unfortunately we're not going to be hearing why Chris felt that way. Barbara wrote that Kerry O'Quinn has all three appearances on video, so maybe we will be seeing them. I wonder if he has any negative feelings about having them copied off his website and posted repeatedly to YouTube. Hope not. When I first tried to watch it on his website it was really buggy, it kept stopping and starting up again.

He is the man who is making a movie of Anthem. Shooting is planned to begin probably in the spring of next year. I am familiar with the circumstances and the people -- and the script -- involved, and I expect the movie will be wonderful. Yes, I know that "wonderful" is a strong word, and that's what I intend to convey. We first discussed his plans for a movie of Anthem more than twenty-five years ago, when it was still only a dream in his mind, and I thought then, listening to him, that this was the only man I would trust to create a movie from the book that I dearly love. Now, it is more than a dream, it is a reality, but the sensitivity, the understanding, and the sheer intelligence of his approach has remained intact, now strengthened by greater maturity and knowledge.

Barbara

Did I miss something over the last five (5) years?

Anthem the movie?

I remember seeing some scenes in video, but did it ever get to market?

A movie version of -Anthem- is more likely to succeed than a movie version of -Atlas Shrugged-. -Anthem- is more compact and manageable than AS and can be fitted into a movie size time frame.

Ba'al Chatzaf

A movie version of -Anthem- is more likely to succeed than a movie version of -Atlas Shrugged-. -Anthem- is more compact and manageable than AS and can be fitted into a movie size time frame.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I suppose that'd be true if you were to make a movie of each. But if AS is too long for you you'd also find out Anthem is too short. A movie-making genius like Oliver Stone or the extremely competent Ron Howard--you don't know what they'd do. I don't. No one does. (They don't until they apply their brains.)

--Brant

• 4 months later...

Here's a nice inspirational lecture by Kerry O'Quinn from the last Atlas Society conference. He's the guy who preserved the video of Rand on the Johnny Carson show, and as you'll hear, has had quite a life: