Rick Giles, poster on SOLOP forum, in jail

William,

I notice you have been trying to reach Otani on that forum. I am following that with interest because I have a theory: that people most fear and are most repelled by what is in their own hearts. This guy constantly accuses almost everyone of bigotry, yet being close-minded to obvious facts (stemming from fear and insecurity) are the hallmarks of bigots and this is one of his most noticeable traits. Actually, it is the one trait that usually spoils some otherwise highly intelligent presentations (not all his posts are intelligent, but some are). So I am interested to see if your probing can penetrate Otani's defense mechanisms.

I do want to leave a correction on record. He claimed (here): "I never deleted anything on the OL. I wouldn’t have the ability to delete another person’s post. It is highly probable MSK deleted stuff, although he accuses me of doing so."

It is true that he did not have the ability to delete the posts of others, but he did delete his own posts and I simply stopped him dead in his tracks before he was able to delete many. (Nowadays there is a time limit on deletions, but back then there was not. Kat and I were still quite green on the technical stuff.) In the Internet age, people should remember that activity logs exist, so there is no sense in trying to lie about something like that. The actions are on record in several places. This takes some finding, but they are there. I think I even have emails discussing this with him, but I would have to check to be sure.

Also, Kat deleted quite a few threads he started where no one posted. I still have these threads on file and maybe one day I will put them all in a single thread just for the record. But so far I have seen no reason to reinstate them. They are only repeats of pieces he posted oodles of times on other forums, so they are amply available on the Web multiple times over. Not a single post by anyone (not even the author) is on them.

Now here is the interesting part for me. I grew up around racists in the South and noticed, even as a child, that when push comes to shove, racists lie to themselves about facts they saw or did in order to fit their bias. They do this until they are firmly convinced of their own lies. They also get quite angry when faced with incontestable facts that prove they are wrong, but the next day they will go back to the lie. I am convinced that Otani believes his own lie and has been blinded in the same manner by his own inner form of bigotry (prejudice against the whole world resulting in a persecution complex).

That kind of thing is bigger than me so I keep a distance. But good luck with your efforts. Otani has a good mind when he uses it and sparks of intelligence are always worth fighting for. I will be watching once in a while. As a former drug addict, I am interested in attempts at dealing with emotional imbalances that result in behavior disorders. You certainly have your work cut out for you.

Michael

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

William, I've been reading that thread, too. (Yep, I need to get a life...) I think it's so sweet of you to try to help Nick. Your posts to him have been sincere and helpful, but I don't know if they'll do any good. I don't think he is really after "honest debate." People have told him where they disagree and why, but as soon as anyone does that, he starts in with, "Who asked you? I don't need you and I don't care what you think of me!" I think what he is after is for someone to say, "Gosh, Nick, what a brilliant and insightful post! You sure are smart." Of course, everybody likes that kind of stroking from time to time. But I guess he hasn't found any forums on which people agree with him to that extent.

I think what he is after is for someone to say, "Gosh, Nick, what a brilliant and insightful post! You sure are smart." Of course, everybody likes that kind of stroking from time to time. But I guess he hasn't found any forums on which people agree with him to that extent.

I haven't been reading the thread -- haven't even looked at it yet. When he was posting here, within a few of his posts I got so that I just glanced through them without pausing on details, since his style is rambling and logically gappy. I have noticed that he becomes defensive soon at critical -- even politely critical -- reply. I wonder, though, what would happen if he were to be praised as Laure indicates. My bet is that this wouldn't please him either.

Ellen

___

William, I've been reading that thread, too. (Yep, I need to get a life...) I think it's so sweet of you to try to help Nick. Your posts to him have been sincere and helpful, but I don't know if they'll do any good. I don't think he is really after "honest debate." People have told him where they disagree and why, but as soon as anyone does that, he starts in with, "Who asked you? I don't need you and I don't care what you think of me!" I think what he is after is for someone to say, "Gosh, Nick, what a brilliant and insightful post! You sure are smart." Of course, everybody likes that kind of stroking from time to time. But I guess he hasn't found any forums on which people agree with him to that extent.

Golly, Laure, I wondered who had yanked up that thread to 1200-odd reads! I don't know that I was sweet in today's exasperated posting.

I am going to have to get my turkey-bloated ass away from the fire on Xmas evening and send him a cheery note, and hope he doesn't take this as further evidence I want to destroy him.

All in all, I am glad Lindsay hasn't opened the trapdoor under Nick. Compared to the witless Scientologist kook, he does have a certain gravitas.

Because you too are so sweet . . . here is a snap shot of my temporary holiday home at No Lunch Lake, BC:

hillbillyhollowXmas.jpg

Let's put the X back in Xmas!

William, we should make a Christmassy-image thread! Here's one back at you, a sweet visitor behind my house a few minutes ago; her boyfriend happened along a moment later, but my photo of the two of them didn't come out as well.

deer_s.jpg

Not a reindeer, but as Christmassy as I can do!

William, we should make a Christmassy-image thread! Here's one back at you, a sweet visitor behind my house a few minutes ago; her boyfriend happened along a moment later, but my photo of the two of them didn't come out as well.

Not a reindeer, but as Christmassy as I can do!

Lovely and very Christmassy . . . I give back this image of our pre-Santa tree up here in Hillbilly Hollow (available light, so a bit blurry/magical -- you cannot see the figures of Kat & Michael reaching for the 'heavens' on top). Later we will add our salt-dough ornaments.

xmastree2007.jpg

Here are two wintery pictures I took near my home today:

Golly, not a lot of snow for Saskatchewan. Lovely.

Hope you might post a snap of your picture window. The only time I was ever in the Netherlands, I was amazed at all the household window displays. As if the curtains were pulled back to display the occupant's taste and sense of community, spectacular. A vase, flowers, an ornament. A small thing, one of many small things that make that country rich and great.

Hope you might post a snap of your picture window. The only time I was ever in the Netherlands, I was amazed at all the household window displays. As if the curtains were pulled back to display the occupant's taste and sense of community, spectacular. A vase, flowers, an ornament. A small thing, one of many small things that make that country rich and great.

Not my taste, I like a bit of privacy. Were you perhaps walking along the Oudezijdsachterburgwal in Amsterdam? There you can see a lot of interiors, curiously enough always occupied by lonely ladies looking out of the window.

• 9 months later...