Bidinotto wows them

Hey Folks,

Check out Bidibob!

He won an Eddie award (he's a finalist) for his article "Up from Conservatism" in The New Individualist. This is Folio magazine's recognition of the year's finest writing in magazines.

Congratulations, Robert. You, more than anyone, deserve such recognition. I am more than pleased to see this.

(Robert - I tried to post a comment on your blog, but it was jammed and hung so long that after a few attempts I gave up. I will try later.)

Michael

In the world of Objectivism, an "Eddie Award" would be somewhat dubious. But in the "mainstream," thankfully, it is something more significant! Congratulations--though I'm not surprised.

I have to say my money is on the bronze award, not because I'm familiar with the other entrants, but merely because you are probably the only finalist who mentions Ayn Rand in his nominated work. And we cannot have a gold, or even a silver, award going to such a person, can we? Perish the thought!

However, you may yet surprise me--good luck!

You raise the most important point, Rodney: the fact that my article ends with a brazen pitch for Objectivism as an alternative to conservatism.

Now, the judges in this competition are mainstream editors and writers. Think about that, and how far we have come, when somebody critiquing conservatism from an explicitly Objectivist frame of reference can win a journalism award in the nation's most prestigious magazine competition. There was a time when an entry like mine would have been immediately consigned to the circular file.

Besides the personal satisfaction I take from this, I also take a great deal of encouragement that our magazine, and an article that says such unconventional things philosophically, is not just tolerated but respected by the mainstream of the journalism profession.

We have come a very long way.

You raise the most important point, Rodney: the fact that my article ends with a brazen pitch for Objectivism as an alternative to conservatism. ... We have come a very long way.

Ah, but remember, it is not such a very long way from brazen and bronzed:

Brass : An alloy of copper and zinc.

Bronze : An alloy of copper and tin, to which small proportions of other metals, especially zinc, are sometimes added.

Also:

Pitch can be made from petroleum products or plants.

So I would worry!

I sent a comment to Robert's blog about his award, which I'll repeat here for readers of OL.

Robert, you are a wonderful writer, and I'm delighted to see you receive the recognition that is no more than appropriate.

Let me add, at the risk of making you blush, that you combine a philosophical acumen with a reality-bound, common-sensical approach, that is what I most admire in non-fiction writing, and rarely find.

Barbara

Robert,

I agree with Barbara.

You are one of the handful of Objectivists who can write clearly and well. This is great news for you, for the magazine, and for the idea that being an avowed advocate of Objectivism is no longer (or at least less and less becoming the moral equivalent of being a suicide bomber.)

Some decades ago, Ayn Rand's "Conservatism: An Obituary" seemed to get -no- awareness or recognition outside of Objectivists and conservative cognoscenti who hated her for it.

Phil

Robert,

Let me add my ditto to all that's been said above.

We have come a long way.

I also found the book of reprints about conservatism you distributed at the convention last March (?) and sent to members of The Atlas Society extremely cogent.

Congratulations from a long-time admirer.

Steve Shmurak :)

Chris,

Anyone can call TAS anytime and purchase a TNI gift subscription to anyone. We eagerly encourage this.

For libraries, just contact them and find out what is involved in purchasing a gift magazine subscription; they may have their own rules. Then, call TAS with the contact information for the library and buy the subscription.

Our number is 800-374-1776.

We'll credit you for the purchase, and we'll send a note to the recipient indicating that you are buying a gift subscription for him, her, or it.

Thanks much for asking about this.

Peter Reidy:

We are arranging for national distribution of the magazine during 2008. We have several infrastructure, distribution, and marketing details to attend to first. One of them is a new, way-cool, dedicated website for The New Individualist, which will go online very soon. It should boost our public profile hugely.

We're as eager to roll out nationally as you are, but we want to do it right, and with a splash.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

BIDIBOB GOES GOLD!!!

Read about it here: The New Individualist wins national magazine award

Congratulations, Robert. This is a wonderful tribute. And I know you want to share it with the entire staff of The New Individualist since their hard work contributed to this being possible. So congratulations to all the folks at The New Individualist, too.

As in the scene in AS I know you know, let me say the following: "Well done!"

Michael