The Assault on Reason

Michael Stuart Kelly

Yesterday I received in my email a NYT update that included a book review of The Assault on Reason by Al Gore. I don't know if you will need to register to read it, but here is the link:

Al Gore Speaks of a Nation in Danger

By MICHIKO KAKUTANI

May 22, 2007

Here is the book description from the Amazon site linked above in the book title:

A visionary analysis of how the politics of fear, secrecy, cronyism, and blind faith has combined with the degradation of the public sphere to create an environment dangerously hostile to reason.

Oh the irony, the irony, the irony!

Gore is doing ARI's job against the theocratic takeover of America.

:)

Here are some other reports for those who might not be able to access the NYT review:

Book Excerpt: The Assault on Reason (Time, May 16, 2007)

Gore Blasts Bush in 'The Assault on Reason' (ABC News, May 21, 2007)

Al Gore: 'The Assault on Reason' in America (NPR, May 25, 2007)

You can Google the rest.

Michael

Mitchell,

Gore is most definitely worth listening to. He is a master of using reason.

On the climate issue, after examining it, I came to the conclusion that he started with some shaky premises and built a masterful case out of them. Along the way, he added some whoppers, like 100% of the scientific reports supported his claims, and a few others, but they were secondary. There were only props for his basic appeal to reason.

What Gore says in this interview is very good and needs saying, but don't ever forget that this is a man who lost the Presidency to Bush on a technicality that showed signs of monkey-business (on both sides). If there is no agenda there (at least partially), then bears don't crap in the woods.

People against Gore make the mistake of underestimating his handling of reason. That's why they get licked so badly. While they attack the man, he goes for a fundamental principle. Guess which bears more weight with voters?

The way to keep Gore honest is to challenge him on his his premises and make sure they are correct and properly identified.

Michael

Mitchell,

On the climate issue, after examining it, I came to the conclusion that he started with some shaky premises and built a masterful case out of them. Along the way, he added some whoppers, like 100% of the scientific reports supported his claims, and a few others, but they were secondary. There were only props for his basic appeal to reason.

What Gore says in this interview is very good and needs saying, but don't ever forget that this is a man who lost the Presidency to Bush on a technicality that showed signs of monkey-business (on both sides). If there is no agenda there (at least partially), then bears don't crap in the woods.

People against Gore make the mistake of underestimating his handling of reason. That's why they get licked so badly. While they attack the man, he goes for a fundamental principle. Guess which bears more weight with voters?

The way to keep Gore honest is to challenge him on his his premises and make sure they are correct and properly identified.

Michael

And there lies the bottom line. Most people dont know how to challenge him on his premises--they only know how to take low blows and try to destroy the arguement without debating it.

And that is the only thing I fear with Gore. If he remains unchallenged he may get overconfident and forget his values that he states here.

One thing is for certain. If he runs in 2008 I'm writing his name on the ballot. :)

Mitchell,

Michael

Reason? Got an example?

--Brant

[...] On the climate issue, after examining it, I came to the conclusion that he started with some shaky premises and built a masterful case out of them.

So, as I said to you several months ago, did Goebbels, on other topics. This means little. To focus on this is to deal with rationalization and propaganda, not reasoning as such.

I've read the excerpts in "Time," and reasoning that arrives at anything contradicting the importance of the omnipotent State is dismissed by Gore out of hand.

He welcomes the use, expansion, and facilitation of governmental power. That is enough. The premises matter, as The Lady said. In the end, they matter most.

I simply cannot fathom your nearly boundless admiration for Gore's propaganda skills. If any ability is the least germane to actual, productive survival, both personal and societal, it is rhetoric. This was examined by Plato in his "Gorgias," 25 centuries ago, and is just as true today.

I have the book in my lap as I type this.

I'm not dissapointed either.

So far, it is a damn good book. Apprach is with an unbiased opinion, and you will find Al Gore has some very, VERY interesting things to say.

P.S I also bought John Stossel's 'Myth, Lies, And Downright Stupidity: Get out the Shovel--Why Everything You Know Is Wrong.' I love this book too :)

Mitchell; I want you to know that I put the Gore book on reserve so I will read it. Keep the following question in mind. "Is there any question where AL Gore is willing to propose a non-state solution to it."

Mitchell,

As an additional thought to Chris's, I have not seen the book yet, but I imagine that it will be an excellent critique of the Bush administration, even from a philosophical basis of Bush not using reason but religion instead, but its proposals will be weak and statist.

I normally do not like to speculate, but keeping this thought in mind might be something to look for as you read. The important thing is to do your own thinking. Don't let anybody, not me, not the book, not any poster, not TV, not anybody, stand between what you see with your own eyes and think with your own mind.

Michael

Mitchell,

As an additional thought to Chris's, I have not seen the book yet, but I imagine that it will be an excellent critique of the Bush administration, even from a philosophical basis of Bush not using reason but religion instead, but its proposals will be weak and statist.

I normally do not like to speculate, but keeping this thought in mind might be something to look for as you read. The important thing is to do your own thinking. Don't let anybody, not me, not the book, not any poster, not TV, not anybody, stand between what you see with your own eyes and think with your own mind.

Michael

Of course, and I dont plan on it.