William Shatner sings Rocket Man.

LOL, Victor. Thanks, homie. I dig your taste in music more than you dig mine, I think (but hell, don't you even deny that you LOVE Eminem...I mean, I know you be bumpin' that when you drive your motorcycle! :lol:). And hell muh'ufckin' yeah I dig Elvis...what kind of blasphemer doesn't dig Elvis? In fact, Elvis' 30 #1 Hits is updating onto my iPod as I type this.

Kori, Oh, I see. You are an Elvis fan, huh? YET you are here--on a William Shatner thread telling me so--and not on my other thread Elvis Presley: universal Rock Icon. Oh, sure. WHY are you an Elvis fan? (Don't tell me here; go to the right thread. Do it!) B)

Beatles were over-rated. The Kinks and the Stones were much better. Anyhow, the Beatles were hardly the watershed band people make them out to be -- I think they confuse them with Led Zeppelin.

Though I'm a huge Zep fan, I think that much of their "watershed" credit should go to Jake Holmes, Willie Dixon and others.

Beatles were over-rated. The Kinks and the Stones were much better. Anyhow, the Beatles were hardly the watershed band people make them out to be -- I think they confuse them with Led Zeppelin.

Though I'm a huge Zep fan, I think that much of their "watershed" credit should go to Jake Holmes, Willie Dixon and others.

You're absolutely right, but the genius of Zeppelin lay in its fusion of folk, blues and metal. When it comes down to brass tacks, they WERE a metal band. But, the complexity of it all! How they took Memphis Minnie's dirge "When the Levee Breaks" and turned it into something utterly beyond description is nothing short of genius!

By the way, to me Zoso was their "watershed" album, although "Whole Lotta Love" (two years earlier) was truly their watershed song, the one that defined their hard-driving song, while taking it in another direction from their other "caught my woman with another man" blues-rock songs/covers and earlier metal stuff, which owed a lot to Black Sabbath.

To get back to my original point: In 1,000 years, the Beatles would never have been able to make anything that could touch "Kashmir" or "In My Time of Dying."

John; Great C&W is great music. Haven't you ever wanted to say "Here's a quarter tell someone who cares.

"

Ditto. While there may be little of note nowadays save a bunch of slick clones affecting insincere twangs and moronic lyrics (Tim MvGraw, Alan Jackson, and a bunch of others too mediocre to remember the names of), the 1950s through 1970s saw some incredibly awesome acts like

Patsy Cline

Eddy Arnold

Johnny Cash

Willie Nelson

Hank Williams

Hank Williams, Jr.

Loretta Lynn

Brenda Lee

Wanda Jackson

Jerry Lee Lewis

Roy Orbison

Jim Reeves

Charlie Daniels

and a slew of others I'm too tired to name at 5 am. Check any or all of them out!

Kori:

~ You don't know what C&W is?

~ Be thankful.

LLAP

J:D

Country/Western? I think I've got it. Too many abbreviations. Eh, I'm not too big a fan of country, but I haven't heard too much of it. Diffrent kinds of music strike different chords in different people. I do, however, love bluegrass. Hell, ah jus' wan' stomp mah feet!

Robert; You forgot Tammy Wynette. But more and more I think the days the music died are the days when Hank Williams died and Patsy Cline was killed. I think both had a lot of good work in them.

Robert; You forgot Tammy Wynette. But more and more I think the days the music died are the days when Hank Williams died and Patsy Cline was killed. I think both had a lot of good work in them.

Chris,

One of my favorite country weeper’s is Hank William's “I’m so lonesome I could cry.” What's yours?

-Victor

Victor; That is one of mine. I once heard Hank Williams Jr. give one off the lyrics to that song and then comment that his father was only 20 something. I think one has to add to the women singers June Carter. She and Johnny died within a very short period of time of each other.