William Shatner sings Rocket Man.

You have to admire William Shatner. He is getting the last laugh. Whether it is Boston Legal or the commercials he does Shatner recognizes that it doesn't matter if you're being laughed if you are well paid for it.

Shatner's versions of pop songs are often played on the Sirius comedy channels. His work and that from Pat Boone's heavy metal phase (I've previously posted Boone's version of Metallica's Enter Sandman here on OL but the link no longer works) are some of the best works of unintentional comedy ever.

J

Q: What did Uhura do when she heard Shatner's signing?

A: She Shatner pants.

some of the best works of unintentional comedy ever.

In Boone's case, the comedy was intentional, as he said at the time. In response to a talk show host's question that seemed to imply some serious motive, he said there was a four-letter word he wanted to say: "J. O. K. E. !"

~ Obviously, Shatner is some kind of smart guy. That he can parlay his 'image' as a lousy singer (Gah, "Lucy, in, the sky--with, d-i-a-monds!") and not-great actor into a self-parody, in a series, and a 'roasting', and varied commercials (waiting to see him doing GEICO with the lizard or cavemen, or even '900' numbers [KIRK GONE WILD!])...gotta hand it to the guy, (contrary to what his original actor-colleagues would do, Takei's forgiveness nwst): he knows how to keep his horses fed.

LLAP

J:D

some of the best works of unintentional comedy ever.

In Boone's case, the comedy was intentional, as he said at the time. In response to a talk show host's question that seemed to imply some serious motive, he said there was a four-letter word he wanted to say: "J. O. K. E. !"

I could be wrong, but I didn't get that impression. Boone seemed very serious, and, if I'm remembering correctly, he didn't say that the album was a joke or a parody until about a year or two after his fans revolted and the gospel television network which had employed him fired him for having made the album.

J

I've seen worse. Much worse. I once saw a video of Leonard Nimoy, apparently on a children's show, singing the "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins". You do NOT want to see that.

But here's the link, just in case.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1189977381292772054

Be warned. Do NOT watch it!

I tired to watch this stuff, but it was just too awful. By Shatner only speaking the lyrics, it could be argued that he was a forerunner of rap. But rap came out of one culture and this crap came out of an attempt at cheap profundity.

To be clear, a song has to stand on its own, regardless of who is singing it. Then whoever is singing it becomes an added element that is quite powerful. But if the song is destroyed, the "who" doesn't matter anymore.

I defy anyone to listen to Shatner's versions without knowing this was him and not think it was a botched attempt by an amateur. This was the aesthetic reality on which he grafted his wonderful Star Trek image. He crapped on his own achievement.

What's worse is that even if he had sung the songs without presenting a great interpretation, just a passable one, his TV personality would have added powerfully as intended and possibly he would have created lasting art.

Dayaamm!

What a load!

Beam me outta here...

Michael

Mike:

~ You are DEFINITELY stepping on some Trekkies' toes here!

~ You're lucky I'm only a Trekker!

~ I agree with what you say about SHATner. Glad I never had to work with that helium-inflated 'ego' (which Harlan Ellison clarified more than the show's other actors); for sure next time he directed to Scotty "Beam me up", were I Scotty, I'd've said "Sorry Cap'n. I dinna ken I kin do that. Good Luck ([sotto-voice] you f***n' a*****e) Cap'n."

~ Re Nimoy: Hey, obviously I'm biased. I saw the stupid video a while ago, and that's quite clearly a mere clone! His original audio-only record (er, tape [disc?], nowadays) was better, especially his other...performances therein.

LLAP

PS: Keep in mind that 'rap' is a sub-section of Crap...literally.

Edited by John Dailey

Who says? :getlost: Well, I say Star Trek is a subsection of crap. Yeah, I said it! *gets all indignant*

Such cracks can sting, right Kori. I have learned to simply roll with the punches if you are to enjoy the benefits of cyber world.

Kat: Oh, that Lucy in the Sky with Dimonds....painful, painful! How can a Beatle fan do this?? :hmm:

Edited by Victor Pross

Such cracks can sting, right Kori. I have learned to you simply have to roll with the punches if you are to enjoy the benefits of cyber world.

Indeed, Victor. And I've learned that in this world I'm either hanging around stupid people who share my interests or really intelligent people who hate everything that I like! Sons uh Bees. :lol: Hey, I can dish it out too though, but I'll refrain here at OL. :devil: :lol:

Who says? :getlost: Well, I say Star Trek is a subsection of crap. Yeah, I said it! *gets all indignant*

Such cracks can sting, right Kori. I have learned to simply roll with the punches if you are to enjoy the benefits of cyber world.

Kat: Oh, that Lucy in the Sky with Dimonds....painful, painful! How can a Beatle fan do this?? :hmm:

Beatles were over-rated. The Kinks and the Stones were much better. Anyhow, the Beatles were hardly the watershed band people make them out to be -- I think they confuse them with Led Zeppelin.

Edited by Robert Jones

~ Oh-h-h, 'crap'.

~ Ok; some (stress that!) 'rap' is like some C&W: it can be...uh-h...(this is difficult for me) :sick: , really, fairly 'ok'; that is, worth hearing again :sick: (can't help it!) C.C.& Company comes to mind (but, they're long gone). --- But, my point was, 'as-a-"type"-of-music', overall, it's Crap! The near-exact same 'limerick' rhythm with a mere change-of-words...being stated/spoken, NOT 'sung.'

~ Oh, hate me; I don't care. :cry:

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey